• Future Imagineer

Talking Armchair Imagineering: DLR's Third Gate: (My) Walt Disney Studios

Alot of disscussion has taken place over what will DLRs future third gate will be. I have three ideas: Walt Disney Studios (My version), Disney's Fantasy Kingdom (a giant Fantasyland), and WESTcot (a combo of Epcot and DisneySea). This thread is for my WDS (if u want, I can post the other parks on other threads). So here goes nothing..... WDS is perhaps the biggest park I have designed for DLR. After hearing coments about DHS and WDS (in paris), I have came up with a version that will combine those 2 parks with some of my ideas. To make up for the parking, the Pumba parking lot would be turned into a structure (would happen anyway). The park would have a lake at the top rigth of is (known as Films Lake) and is composed of eleven lands: Walt Disney Boulevard (enterance), Muppet Studios, Productions Backlot, Pixar Place, Big City Set, Star Wars Studios, Adventure Studios, Seaside Set, Sci-Fi Backlot, Toon Studio, and Desert Backlot.

Walt Disney Boulevard would serve as the enterance of the park. It would be designed after the time period of Hollywood when Walt was in the movie business. In here would house Rock and Roller Coaster (with different bands preforming every time you go on it), Magical Flights (a sky diving dome type ride where you actually fly with projections and travel through famous Disney and Pixar flight scenes, like Dumbo, Toy Story, Up, Peter Pan, etc...), The Great Movie Ride (similar to DHS), and Walt: One Man's Dream (like the one in DHS). An elvated train would travel up the street to the Chinese Theater, know as the Hollywood Elevated Railway.

Muppet Studios would be based on the never built land for MGM. You'd enter the land halfway down WDB. The main attraction would be The Great Muppet Movie Ride, which is a parody of the parks iconic ride. The ride would feature parodies of Star Trek (Pigs in Space), Indiana Jones, Frankenstien, Tangled, Peter Pan, Monsters Inc, and The Little Mermaid (Swedish Chief chases a chicken that looks like Sabastian into other scenes). Your guide throughout the ride would be Swedums, as the Backstage Manager. Gonzo would be the director and. Other atttractions in the land would include Fozzie's Comedy Bus (a flying carpet type of ride), Pigs in Space Launch Pad (an Aladdin type flyer ride themed to the Swinetrek from the Pigs in Space skit), The Great Gonzo's Daring Adventure (an indoor wild mouse rollercoaster that features an uphill launch), and The Electric Mayhem's Musical Whirl (a musical express type ride. The exterior would be the church Kermit found them rehearsing in, from the Muppet Movie).

On the opposite side of the street will be Productions Backlot. This would be the only area themed to behind the scenes. In here would be the Backlot Studio Tour, with my improvements. You'd start out by going through a New York set that would be used to film movies, then you enter Flynn's Arcade where you are teleported into the world of TRON (you'd go through the games, then you go through a hole and land on a solar sail. It would take you to Clu's Base where the tram will appear to board a Light Flyer and then race Clu to the portal). After that, the tram will go behind Lights, Motors, Action (with an improved Cars 2 sequence and added effects) and into Castastrophy Canyon. The Tram would then travel under an arch into the Hoth battle scene from Star Wars (with Special Affects and life size replicas of the vehicles, and a look inside Echo Base). Then the tram would enter the streets of Tatooine with a sandstorm sequence. Another major attraction would be Geyser Moutain, name taken from the never built ride (The story would be that a movie studio company has built a man-made mountain on top of an old geyser site. You, the guest, are taking a tour of the studios (mainly in the queue). You will board your backlot box (like ToT's ride system) and move up a floor to the scene that their about to shoot. But a rumbling comes after the director says action, and in no time, your vehicles is launched out of the mountain with water squirting out from under you. It would rise and fall randomly like ToT). Goofy's Candy Co. Tour will be a walk through attraction where you can see how Goofy makes his famous candy (would include a free sample, diffferent very day) and would exit at his candy emporium, where you can combine different flavors/types of candy. Another attraction would be Camera Crew Coaster a spinning, indoor roller coaster that will feature various props from different types of movies and take place in the studio's prop department. Similar layout to Primeval Whirl at DHS. Art of Animation w/ Phinesas and Ferb, an interactive walk through that is based off an episode from the TV series.

Above Muppet Studios will be Pixar Place, similar to DHS version. In here would be mini lands based off of the different Pixar films: Toy Story Land, Monstropolis, World Grand Prix (Cars 2), France (Ratatouille), Paradise Falls, and Nemo's Reef. Monstropolis would be at the enterance of the land; in here would house the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor (from WDW), Monsters Inc. Door Vaulters (a suspended coaster above the laugh floor) and Haryhousins (the restraunt from the movie). Note: There might be a Monsters Inc 2 ride, but have to see the movie first. From there the land splits off into two pathways: Paradise Falls and Toy Story land. Paradise Falls would be the dead end of the lands and have: The Up-venture (a suspended dark ride that goes through scenes from the movie) and a Spirit of Adventure diner. There would be a pathway that goes behind the water fall and into Nemo's Reef (would be enclosed). It would basicly be Crush's EACoaster (with extended tracks and a better loading system). Toy Story land would be like its Paris and HKDL versions but mixed with a couple of my own ideas: RC Racers (would have two side, the other being Lotso's Dump Truck), Stretch's Tenticle Twister (a twister style ride themed to the character from TS3), Green Army Men's Parachute Drop (Same as the others), Slinky Dog's Zig-Zag Spin (would have a backward sequence. At night, it would have some special lighting in the coils), and a special Pizza Planet restraunt. After TSL there would be the Ratatouille mini land, and in here would have a Gusto's restraunt and Remy's Cooking Adventure (would be like WDS's future ride). Also a pathway from Muppets would connect into here. On the right of the Ratatouille land would be The World Grand Prix, with basicly just Finn McMissle's Spy Journey (an indoor special affect rollercoaster) and Mater's Carstoon Whirl (a Roger Rabbit style dark ride where you go through the different tall tales, different every ride, Mater tells in Carstoons).

Above Pixar Place is Toon Studios, where you can live some of Disney's famous cartoons. It would be one of the lands bordering Films Lake. The main attraction would be Toon Studio Tour, from my thread (basicly like the Back to the Future ride. Professor Von Drake invented an advenced trolley system to take for a tour of the studios. Pete sneak's in and steals a high-tech car Von Drake invented. You learn that he intends to sabostosh the cartoons so the villain wins or the good guy suffers. So Von Drake has one of his friends, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Oswald, Roger Rabbit, or Minnie w/ Daisy, be the conductor of the trolley tour. You'd board and journey through different cartoons, different every time, and with an differen host per trolley). Steamboat Willie Springs would be an interactive water play area with a life-size replica of the steamboat. Mickey's Crime Stoppers would be a combo of Buzz Lightyear with a dark ride and tell a redo version of The Dognapper cartoon short. Plane Crazies would be a Dumbo style ride where you will fly over Mickey's Barn (the queue would be in there). Oswald's Trollie Chaos would be a spinner coaster themed to Oswald's short, Trollie Troubles. The Traffic Jam would be a bumper car style ride themed to the cartoon short. The Great Goofini, a suspended version of the feature WDW ride. Winnie the Pooh's Hunny Pot Whirl, a teacup style ride that would spin more easily than the Teacups in DL. Toon Studio Railroad, a mini train that would travel around the land. Building Builders, a drop type ride that will have guest pull themselves up the towers.

At the other side of the park will be Adventure Studios, which would feature a PotC mini land with Pirates of the Caribbean: Live the Curse (water coaster), Tortooga Theater: Curse of the Black Pearl (a 3D theater ride that has a redone version of the first film), the Queen Ann's Revenge (a life size version, with a restraunt inside it), and the Leaky Barrel (the restraunt in Tortooga from the first or second film, can't remember which). An Indiana Jones mini land will have The Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular (like DHS) and Indiana Jones' Mine Cart Adventures (an extended version of DLP's Indy ride with an underground sequence). The Epic Journey, a water type ride where the vehicles will have robot arm technology under them, and tell an altered version of the games story. The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter, a clone of the former WDW ride (will work out the scariness factor of it). Jabberwocky Flight, an outdoor, suspended coaster themed to the new Alice in Wonderland.

Seaside Studios, the land connecting Adventure Studios with Toon Studios, In here will be Cannon Blasters (an outdoor, water play area with two halfs of a pirate ship facing each other with a little lagoon in between them, and guest could squirt water at each other and get each other wet), Speedboat Races (a self driven boat ride where guest can drive boats in part of Films Lake), Shipwreck Beach (a wave pool that would be open during summer, with a small fee. It would touch some of the Great Movie Ride's warehouse, but will be decorated), and Luis' Jazzin' Bayou Boats (a PotC type water ride where you go through scenes from the Princess and the Frog). Tiana's Place and Dr. Facilier's Vodoo Emporium would be next to the ride. Film Falls, a water plunge water ride that will splash into Films Lake.

On the opposite side of Toon Studios from Seaside Studios is Sci-Fi Studios. It would feature a TRON City (enclosed) and would have Flynn's Arcade (both our world and the computers versions), TRON Lightbikes (and indoor rollercoaster, similar to pony express at Knott's, and feature the same elements/scenes as in the new movie), End of Line Club (a restraunt), the Solar Sail (a shop), and the Grid Escape (a Mission Space style ride that would be like the end of TRON legacy where you will race Clu to the portal). Discovery Mountain, a slightly modified version of Paris' Space Mountain. Star Trek: The Experience, a modified version of the former Las Vegas convention-type show. Jetpack Orbitron, a different type of Dumo-type ride system where you can spin the jetpacks in loops as well as control the height of the vehicle. It would also rise higher up as the ride progresses (like the old rocket jets in Tomorrowland).

After Sci-Fi Studios, next to it will be Star Wars Studios, where you can live some of the adventures from the films. In here will be Star Battles (an indoor SMGG type ride where you will travel through the Death Star battle scene from Episode 4), Ewok Tree Village (an walk through the Ewok village, similar to Tarzan's Tree House), Speederbikes (an outdoor rollercoaster where you can ride Speederbikes through the forest of Endor), Death Star Laser Tag (a large laser tag arena with Death Star-looking decorations), Mos Eisley Canteen (restraunt), Jaba's Hut (shop), and Snow Speeder Flights (an outdoor, EMV type rollercoaster through the battle scene of Hoth). Note: will try to add to DHS.

Next to Star Wars Studios would be Big City Set, a replica of LA and New York buildings and streets. In here would be Cops and Robbers Chase (a wild mouse, duel side racing coaster) and Pedal to the Metal (a go cart ride). In here would also be a mini super heros land, featuring The Iron Knight (a flying coaster that will go through the fight scene from Iron Man 2 and the queue would be his house), Rocketeer Flight (a gliding coaster themed to the movie), Super Flyers (a ride where the guest would lie down in their seats and fly around in circles), and the X-Men Danger Room (a special effect chamber, similar to Alien Encounter, where you will go through the process of becoming an X-men). Note: this land is mostly shops and restraunts (even though they aren't listed).

The last land of the park will be Desert Backlot, a tribute to all western and egyptian films. In here would be: Grizzly Runaway Mine Cars (with the town and a clone of HKDL's future land), and The Mummies Curse (an indoor rollercoaster. would tell the story of a Hollywood studio company who went to the actual pyramids to film a movie. While shooting the film, the crew and everyone were cursed and never heard from again. you have been sent in to find out whats been going on, but you soon find out about the rising of the mummy from the temple. The exterior would be the pryamid).

Note: I will take suggestions to go into more detail for any ride/land/shop/restraunt or any of the other theme parks I have planned. Just post it here, and I'll be sure to reply. Right Ear out......

Re: Armchair Imagineering: DLR's Third Gate: (My) Walt Disney Studios

We already have a studios park in Anaheim!

But in all honesty, besides the problems I have with a studios park in general, significant portions are already present in DCA. Such as the Muppets, a "Walt" era Hollywood etc.

Plus a studios park is frankly just not a good direction for a park, it is incredibly limiting in terms of new lands, and from an artistic standpoint...less than the best of concepts.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

Uhhhhhhh wouldn't Walt Disney Drive be IDENTICALLY THEMED to vista street in DCA

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by 9906 View Post
    Uhhhhhhh wouldn't Walt Disney Drive be IDENTICALLY THEMED to vista street in DCA
    That's what I was thinking!

Good ideas but the studio park already exists. Give us something new.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• I also like Stitch!

Give us a DisneySea

• Nutty about Disney parks

Please no more studio parks. It's already been proven about 2.5 times that it's not a popular, nor strong, concept for a Disney theme park.

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Please no more studio parks. It's already been proven about 2.5 times that it's not a popular, nor strong, concept for a Disney theme park.
    WDS in Paris has proven to not be as popular as DHS ( DHS is still visited more times than any Universal park, still), but they are popular and can use some expansion. Also, those parks are themed to Behind-the-scenes of movie making, not my park (only one land is). PS: I can't really fit these ideas into DL or DCA (some of them yes, but mostly not).

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    We already have a studios park in Anaheim!
    No we don't. True that we have a studios land *cough*cough* Hollywood Pictures Backlot, but it is rumored to be rethemed.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan5534 View Post
    Give us a DisneySea
    Rather not have a clone (even though its a great park). I'll post my WESTcot or Fantasy Kingdom ideas, if you want (which are very similar to DisneySea)

Quote Originally Posted by 9906 View Post
    Not exactly. WDB would be themed to the LA time period that Walt worked during. While BVS would be themed to when Walt arrived in LA.

• Banned User

It Disney Sea was to be in California it wouldn't be a clone. We already have ToT, Indiana Jones, and others that are there. Even though Jouney Earth is a different ride then RSR it's the same track. They should build a theme park for Toon Town. One land could be for Marvel, one for Roger Rabbit, one for Mickey and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    WDS in Paris has proven to not be as popular as DHS ( DHS is still visited more times than any Universal park, still), but they are popular and can use some expansion. Also, those parks are themed to Behind-the-scenes of movie making, not my park (only one land is). PS: I can't really fit these ideas into DL or DCA (some of them yes, but mostly not).

They are not popular because they are a studios park, they are popular because they have some good rides and are in an already great resort that makes it incredibly easy to stay longer.

No we don't. True that we have a studios land *cough*cough* Hollywood Pictures Backlot, but it is rumored to be rethemed.

Rumored to be rethemed to a golden age Hollywood...a little like what you have in your park.

Rather not have a clone (even though its a great park). I'll post my WESTcot or Fantasy Kingdom ideas, if you want (which are very similar to DisneySea)

I can already tell from the name that Fantasy Kingdom is an incredibly limiting idea for a park, it restricts you to only fantasy stuff, thats why Disneyland works so well.

Not exactly. WDB would be themed to the LA time period that Walt worked during. While BVS would be themed to when Walt arrived in LA.
    I find that slight difference hardly enough to warrant an entire land.

---------- Post added 07-26-2011 at 10:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Eagle View Post
    It Disney Sea was to be in California it wouldn't be a clone. We already have ToT, Indiana Jones, and others that are there. Even though Jouney Earth is a different ride then RSR it's the same track. They should build a theme park for Toon Town. One land could be for Marvel, one for Roger Rabbit, one for Mickey and so on.
    Or *gasp* you could make a land that *double gasp* can fit more than one franchise?!?!
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

I'd Like to see Disneysea like this see...

The Neverland Files: DisneySea

Please no more studio parks. I really do not want to see a park filled with ugly sound stages and stunt shows.

The third gate should be Disney myth and legends theme park. It would be the perfect theme to adapt unused Disney properties, original mythological ideas like beastly kingdom and Marvel properties

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Please no more studio parks. I really do not want to see a park filled with ugly sound stages and stunt shows.

The third gate should be Disney myth and legends theme park. It would be the perfect theme to adapt unused Disney properties, original mythological ideas like beastly kingdom and Marvel properties
    I couldn't agree more with both points. I really don't like the studios concept for parks. Universal Hollywood works because of it being a real studio, but without that it just is tacky looking.

A myths and legends type idea would work perfectly for so many properties that don't fit well in either DL or DCA. And like you say, would work really well to fit in a few Marvel properties as well, but still have an overall Disney vibe. I really like the idea because, much like DL, and TDS, it could have some very different lands.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Future Imagineer

Well......DHS is a real movie studio (or it used to be, IDK). My park would be used as a working movie studios. Also, I have other concepts too, my Westcot and Disney's Fantasy Kingdom (a combo of DisneySea with Fantasyland)
    Last edited by Right Ear; 07-30-2011 at 08:06 AM.