• Future Imagineer

Armchair Imagineering: Mammoth Mountain Runaway Mine Cars

While thinking of ideas for Grizzly Park in DCA, I thought up a Gold Rush version of Raging Spirits to add. It would be between Soarin' and DGC park enterance (I have made measurements on Google Earth and found that it can fit). The monorail's track would be covered in a "mining" tunnel so guest can't see it on the ride. Basicly the track layout is the same as Raging Spirits.

The Queue:
    The queue would be themed to a walk-in mine which have several interactive elements, like being able to move gold around using a crane and playing with broken train pieces.

The Vehicles:
    The ride vehicles will be the same as Raging Spirits.

The Story:
    The story would be that these miners who made a fortune at the begining of the Gold Rush have set up a mine train to transport their gold, but as the years went by, the track has been messed up due to competition and the weather. As the miners are starting to close mine, a miner gets stuck on a car and went through the track and had loved the ride. So the miners decide it could be turned into an attraction rather than a mine, and they are making more money than ever now.

The Ride/Exterior:
    The track's layout would almost be the same as Raging Spirits (there would be a sequence where the track goes over the pathway). 1/3 of the structure from the ground will be the enclosed part of the track (would look like your in the mines). The exterior would be a mountain valley with 2 moutains. There would be a mini waterfall running down the mountain that forms a stream that would go into GRR (the pathway above it would be turned into a bridge).

For those of you who don't know anything about Raging Spirits:
    ‪Raging Spirits Roller Coaster POV Front Seat Tokyo DisneySea Japan 1080p HD‬‏ - YouTube

• Banned User

Re: Armchair Imagineering: Mammoth Mountain Runaway Mine Cars

It'd be fun, but the theme and backstory are nearly the same as Big Thunder, so could use a bit more originality to it.

• Banned User

I like it but yeah it's the same backstory as BTMRR. What would be the scenery?

• Minion

An interesting idea. I haven't seen it around before, so it's very original.

With that said, it seems to be a cross between 2 existing attractions: Raging Spirits and Big Thunder. In my opinion, DCA needs original attractions that haven't been seen before so it can stand as its own. I like the idea of a Gold Rush mine train for the area, but I don't think a thrill ride is the way to go for it. An attraction like Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland, I think, would work brilliantly in the area and force Disney to be creative on how to use the limited space that they have to work with.

Again, it isn't a bad idea and the basic theme works, but I don't think tweaked version of an already existing attraction is the way to go for DCA.

That's awful close to guest rooms at the hotel asbwell as the Napa Rose, putting a roller coaster there wouldn't be the best idea noise and ambience wise. Also a mine coaster just isn't a terribly original idea.
    Armchair Imagineering!:

The Grand Cinema Journey? (Name ideas welcome)

Concept Map! (Thread to follow)
    Grizzly Peak Mining District

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    An interesting idea. I haven't seen it around before, so it's very original.

With that said, it seems to be a cross between 2 existing attractions: Raging Spirits and Big Thunder. In my opinion, DCA needs original attractions that haven't been seen before so it can stand as its own. I like the idea of a Gold Rush mine train for the area, but I don't think a thrill ride is the way to go for it. An attraction like Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland, I think, would work brilliantly in the area and force Disney to be creative on how to use the limited space that they have to work with.

Again, it isn't a bad idea and the basic theme works, but I don't think tweaked version of an already existing attraction is the way to go for DCA.
    As much as I would love a NW ride in here to, I would rather keep RCC and expand onto the dead space between Soarin' and GRR. The moutain's structure can't work for another ride due to poor construction planning (from what I here), so its a battle of thrill VS still (*cough*cough* slow ride).

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    That's awful close to guest rooms at the hotel asbwell as the Napa Rose, putting a roller coaster there wouldn't be the best idea noise and ambience wise. Also a mine coaster just isn't a terribly original idea.
    Well.....I was thinking that a couple of the rooms near it would be taken out fot the maintance area of the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Eagle View Post
    I like it but yeah it's the same backstory as BTMRR. What would be the scenery?
    Not exactly, BTM's backstory is that some time in the late 1800s, gold was discovered on Big Thunder Mountain in the American southwest. Overnight, the small mining town of Big Thunder became a thriving mining town. Mining was prosperous, and an extensive line of mine trains was set up to transport the ore. Unknown to the settlers, the Mountain was a sacred spot to local Native Americans and was cursed.Before long, the settlers' desecration of the mountain caused a great tragedy, which befell the mines and town, and the town was abandoned. Some time later, the locomotives were found to be racing around the mountain on their own, without engineers or a crew. The Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was founded in the old mining camp to allow tourists to take rides on the possessed trains. While my ride is basicly a mine turning from a gold mine into an attraction. but they both take place during a Gold Rush.

BTW, the senery would be basicly mines in a mountain with 2 peaks with a waterfall (would be modeled after Yosemite National Park and Mammoth Mtn.). I'll need help to upload some concept art for this and other rides I've designed (can't figure out how to upload a picture). And also, I forgot to mention that there might be a backwards sequence (similar to Everest in DAK)

• I'm a Lutheran

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    Not exactly, BTM's backstory is that some time in the late 1800s, gold was discovered on Big Thunder Mountain in the American southwest. Overnight, the small mining town of Big Thunder became a thriving mining town. Mining was prosperous, and an extensive line of mine trains was set up to transport the ore. Unknown to the settlers, the Mountain was a sacred spot to local Native Americans and was cursed.Before long, the settlers' desecration of the mountain caused a great tragedy, which befell the mines and town, and the town was abandoned. Some time later, the locomotives were found to be racing around the mountain on their own, without engineers or a crew. The Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was founded in the old mining camp to allow tourists to take rides on the possessed trains. While my ride is basicly a mine turning from a gold mine into an attraction. but they both take place during a Gold Rush.
    It's a great idea! Nice work.

I think the similarity to the Big Thunder story comes from a book about Imagineering that some people (Including myself) have. In it it tells the story of Big Thunder towards the end of its successful mining days. One day a couple of miners were sitting around in the sun when one decided to take a nap (Or something like that) in a resting mine train. Suddenly the train came to life and took him on a terrifying adventure through the buttes and caverns of the mountain. Soon enough he came back to the station and gave rave reviews to the other miners, turning the little town of Big Thunder into a big tourist destination.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Minion

BTW, the senery would be basicly mines in a mountain with 2 peaks with a waterfall (would be modeled after Yosemite National Park and Mammoth Mtn.). I'll need help to upload some concept art for this and other rides I've designed (can't figure out how to upload a picture). And also, I forgot to mention that there might be a backwards sequence (similar to Everest in DAK)
    While this is a very creative idea, I don't think you understand just how much room is in that area. There isn't very much room at all. A small attraction may be able to fit there, but a coaster that features a backwards portion definitely would not.

• Future Imagineer

/\ I've done my measurements, and a small rollercoaster can fit in that area. Measure Raging Spirits in TDS and meaure the area filled with lots of trees by the hotel (on the RCC side of the pathway) on Google Earth, and you'll find that it can fit with some room to spare. Thanks anyway.

• Minion

/\ I've done my measurements, and a small rollercoaster can fit in that area. Measure Raging Spirits in TDS and meaure the area filled with lots of trees by the hotel (on the RCC side of the pathway) on Google Earth, and you'll find that it can fit with some room to spare. Thanks anyway.
    I don't think you did your measurements correctly, just saying.

Here's a picture from Google Earth:

[IMG=http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7001/screenshot20110729at103.jpg][/IMG]

Hardly anything would be able to fit in that small area, as it's only just over 100 ft. long. Not to mention you need a maintenance area, queue, and actual attraction space.

there is actually more room in that area than what it seems.

I always thought that a slow moving attraction with some additional rockwork and small mountain would fit nicely there and compliment GRR.

The hotel rooms are not at ground level they start at the third level if i remember correctly. The first couple floors are actually the back of the World of Disney store.

In order for it to work and utilize the space better and at the same time leave ample room between the hotel structure and a new attraction the first thing i would do is reroute the main pathway that leads from Condor flats into grizzley area.

i have done a layout and the way it would work is to relocate the small plane they have for photo ops at the end of the runway. The pathway that cradles Grizzly rapids would then be pushed north so that it is a continuation of the runway path go north towards the hotel wing and then cradle the hotel wing until it curves south and rejoins the existing path near the GCH pedestrain entrance area. The path could also cut through piece of the plot and through a cave so that some of the air space could be used for the attraction.

In order to create a nice lush area i would make sure to leave a few feet of landscaping area between the path and hotel wing so that they could plant several trees and bushes. creating a green wall against the structure.

now that the new path is done then the old path as well as some of the existing landscaped area at the edge pf GRR as well as the area next to the smoking area would be open land to build a train based attraction that has elevation changes by creating rock work that compliments the area.

I think it would make a great family attraction that uses that unused piece of property and makes the land even more intimate.

Since the monorail passes at the north end of the plot of land, i would try to integrate it into the attraction. That part of the track could go through a short tunnel giving guests visiting Disneyland a glimpse of an indoor show scene similar to how the railroad allows guests to see part of the Splash mountain finale.

while we are at it, since supposedly the plans are to eventually change condor flats to part of grizzley i would also try and hide the monorail track that runs in front of the Soarin building. It would not be to much of a challenge. The best way to do it is too extend the front facade of the building several feet south. By doing this it would create an extra lobby area in front of the building. The bottom portion of this lobby area would be the existing outside queue which would now be inside the structure creating the opportunity for an extended themed waiting area with lots of props that tie the attraction into the new theme. Above that would be the monorail beam that would allow the monorail to run through the area and still be partially hidden. The long facade would have dark glass that would allow monorail guests to see the land but would mostly hide the view of the monorail from guests t the park.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MistaDee View Post
    Also a mine coaster just isn't a terribly original idea.
    Hey, just because Cedar Point has had a runaway mine car roller coaster ride for 40 years doesn't make his plan not original.

Wait....
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Im Monsters Incorporated!

It is a good idea, but i have to agree with everybody else the concept is not exaclty orignal and the ride would be DCA'S mini big thunder mountain.

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    I don't think you did your measurements correctly, just saying.

Here's a picture from Google Earth:

[IMG=http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7001/screenshot20110729at103.jpg][/IMG]

Hardly anything would be able to fit in that small area, as it's only just over 100 ft. long. Not to mention you need a maintenance area, queue, and actual attraction space.
    i'm telling you I've measured the area and Raging Spirits and that area is bigger (only by a little bit though)