Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: MARVEL Superhero Theme Park--Third Gate Idea

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    For people who aren't Marvel fans, it's just a park with rides. Harry Potter is so popular because EVERYONE knows about Harry Potter.

I think it would be an astoundingly bad idea to build a whole theme park around a theme that relatively few people have heard of or care about.

I have to disagree, I was not a very big super hero fan and knew little about them but with the growing trend of movies it has become huge. I doubt there is people out there that have not heard of iron man, captain America, Thor and other characters that have now become big money makers in the movie industry.

So far I have seen every marvel movie that has been made because every time one comes out they become more interesting. The worlds these characters live in are something that would translate very well in an immersive land

The last movie I saw was captain America and I was actually surprised that not only did I see young movie goers in the theater but adults and very young children enjoying it. When I exited the theater a family with a boy said they could not wait to see the avengers and a sequel to captain America. The father even noticed my Disney shirt and commented to me if I knew that marvel was Disney now and how cool it would be to see them make rides.

I think a Disney with a big superhero influence would work well if done right. Captain America alone had so many references that would work well within a themed land. The whole world expo thing with the monorail and world of tomorrow exhibits, the classic theater show and vintage towns IOC America and Europe would translate into some very immersive theming that would transport guests into another time and place. I would not mind getting on a simulator ride that used some of those interesting stark and/red skull vehicles.

• Minion

First off I wanna thank everybody for the replies, and I'm glad some of you like it!

I'll try and justify the idea of the Marvel-only theme park though. First off, I kinda came up with the idea when the plans for the Marvel park in Dubai surfaced, and I didn't know at that time that Disney owned Marvel. Now that they do, I figured a Marvel park would be Disney-owned.

Also, I've been to Disneyland a ton but never actually seen these strawberry fields where a third park is proposed, and I understand that it's not on immediate property, maybe a shuttle ride or healthy walk away from the bulk of the resort? So really, the park would not encroach on Disney magic, just be sort of like Knott's just a little closer; you could see it as Disneyland competition that isn't hurting Disneyland if that makes sense--the park would take the teens that are with their families for five days and that are getting bored of Fantasyland rides.

And speaking of Knott's, obviously a thrill park rival to Disneyland already exists as Magic Mountain and Knott's. But the Marvel park here would rival these parks because it offers Disney-style theming against somewhat non-Disney thrill rides. That's where they would benefit from the nearby competition. Hopefully, that argument alone could draw people in fans or not. Plus, I could always post some more detailed descriptions to lure some of you in lol

Philippe Gas, the CEO of Disneyland Paris, said this idea was envisoned for an eventual third theme park in Disneyland Paris. But this idea may also fit with Disneyland Resort

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I think it's VERY well thought out, does a good job of using Marvel characters, and that Marvel fans would enjoy it.

IMO a third gate that's purely Marvel is the best way for Disney to go with its Marvel franchise. It would prevent a repeat of the "not Disney enough" reaction that DCA got, and more importantly, prevent customer confusion between the Disney and Marvel brand sensibilties (which I and many others feel will not mix in the same theme park, no matter what you try to do with them).

An all-Marvel third gate is definitely best for both brands. Disney can fund it, design it, build it and present it, but it should be pure Marvel brand.

Good stuff, Tyler. I'd be interested in seeing you post your details of the individual lands.
    While I agree with you that it would be the best use of the Marvel brand I think having no representation of Disney would get the "Not Disney at all" reaction. I think a carefully constructed Marvel park would be a great addition though.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    While I agree with you that it would be the best use of the Marvel brand I think having no representation of Disney would get the "Not Disney at all" reaction. I think a carefully constructed Marvel park would be a great addition though.
    They could always have Disney characters there dressed as Marvel heroes and villains just like they do near Star Tours. That would help remind everyone that this is a Disney park. They could also do something like the entrance Mickey floral arrangement at Disneyland, but it could be like the circular Spidey head logo with Mickey ears. Just a few subtle things to remind people that this is a Disney park without being overly Disneyfied.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

I'm just going to comment on the ideas presented in the thread and not get into the whole "should the third gate be all Marvel?" debate. That being said, I liked a lot of what you came up with. The only thing I can think thats missing is a monster Shield/Avengers dark ride. That'd really be something.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    They could always have Disney characters there dressed as Marvel heroes and villains just like they do near Star Tours. That would help remind everyone that this is a Disney park. They could also do something like the entrance Mickey floral arrangement at Disneyland, but it could be like the circular Spidey head logo with Mickey ears. Just a few subtle things to remind people that this is a Disney park without being overly Disneyfied.
    These are great ideas! You are right that would complete the tie in to being a Disney park!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Senior Minion

... Just a few subtle things to remind people that this is a Disney park without being overly Disneyfied.
    ka-Bingo. Those four words, "without being overly Disneyfied," jumped out at me as a phrase that is at the core of the entire Marvel debate. Disney's challenge is to keep Marvel MARVEL. To keep the spirit and sensibility of not only the existing Marvel characters, but the tradition that created them, intact and growing as Marvel -- to not water down, cutesify, cartoonify, Disnefy or otherwise dilute the soul of the Marvel universe in an effort to make it "more Disney."

The strength of Marvel, the appeal of Marvel, has always been that as a body of work it has its own look, feel and flavor -- its own style, its own energy. As a corporate entity Disney is huge. Disney is a monster (in both the good and bad sense). I hope that corporately and creatively, Disney does not, by design or default, end up chewing Marvel and regurgitating a Disney Version.

When I think of the unbroken continuity of kiddiefication from Afternoon Avenue to Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage that Disney has displayed in its flagship theme park, I really wonder if they know the difference.

That's why my view is that the best thing Disney can do with a Marvel theme park presence is place it in a third gate -- less from my (admittedly strong) concern that Marvel-in-Disneyland will dilute the Disneyland experience, and more that it will set a precedent for Disnefying (read "dumbing down") the Marvel experience.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-31-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

They could create a new park called "Disney Heroes" that would incorporate a lot of Marvel stories/lands and give Disney poetic license to include any Disney character that is considered a hero. That way you could have a lot of lands that are Marvel specific and lands that consist of traditional Disney characters: Peter Pan, Aladdin, Dark Wing Duck, Hercules, Tarzan, etc.

• Minion

Stuff like that would be perfect! Disney does little things all over their parks that people wouldn't necessarily notice on their own but would notice if they were missing--that's why I think no matter what the theme a Disney-run theme park would still be a great experience for anyone visiting and that Disney can make a quality place without totally softening a theme like Marvel.

• I also like Stitch!

Let me think of the Disney Chars.
    Mickey as Spiderman
    Minnie as the Marvel equivalent of Wonder Woman
    Donald as Namor the Sub-Mariner
    Goofy as Iron Man
    the list goes on.

• Senior Minion

^ I think that kind of Disneyfication of Marvel characters/Marvelization of Disney characters is exactly the kind of kitsch that would confuse Disney customers, turn off Marvel fans, and backfire bigtime.

I don't understand why anyone thinks it's necessary for Disney to mashup Disney and Marvel characters so that customers know that Marvel "is Disney." They didn't dress up Mickey as Buzz Lightyear or Donald as Sheriff Woody -- why in the world would anyone want them to do it to the Marvel characters?
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Mostly Harmless.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Imagineers designing a Marvel park for Dubailand? Marvel Superheroes Theme Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Imagineers designing a Marvel park for Dubailand? Marvel Superheroes Theme Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There were plans for a Marvel park in Dubai, but Disney was not involved. Since Disney's acquisition of Marvel, those plans have been shelved.

• Minion

Don't even need to dress 'em as Marvel characters. Incorporate Disney characters by bringing in pre-existing superhero alter egos into a Marvel park, like Supergoof and Paperinik, or existing Disney supers like The Incredibles or Darkwing. Could even justify it by giving the park it's own numbered Earth to set the characters in.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast