Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

what ride would you like to see in frontierland

I would like to see a sleepy hollow ride(thoe it may not fit)i think it would be really cool.How bout you guys

• -

Re: what ride would you like to see in frontierland

Maybe something based on the Phantom Rider.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Iron-Clad Allie

Just think of all the cool theming that could encompass a Sleepy Hollow ride and mini land! Let's modernize the Headless Horseman by giving him a GPS direction devise.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Cal........ you've got to be kidding us, right? Phantom Rider? Marvel themselves couldn't figure out how to package this guy and the film failed horribly....... and YOU want to make him a franchise attraction? "Oh Yes! Let's build an attraction based on a failed movie venture!"..........

but here's Wikipedia's definition in case you forgot....... or lost your way in your comic books......

"The Phantom Rider is the name of "several" (emphasis MINE) fictional characters, Old West heroic gunfighters (Emphasis MINE........do you really think Disney is going to create a ride/attraction based on gun-fighters?) appearing in comic books in the Marvel Comics universe. The character name was originally called Ghost Rider, and was changed following the introduction of Marvel's motorcycle-riding character."

"Gun-fighter"? "Motorcycle-Rider"?......... neither of these Marvel Characters work in Frontierland unless you want a Hollister/Hell's Angel's re-enactment........ (Google it.......). And neither ideas work in Frontierland either, "Biker-Dude" or "Gun-slinger Dude".......

In case you didn't notice, there's no "National Treasure" attraction in any Disney Park either (or plans for any) - so, is it Nicholas Cage's fault, or is it Disney's? ......... Marvel just simply doesn't work in Frontierland......... is Phantom Rider a gun-slinger or a biker? I'd much prefer a Lone-Ranger character in Frontierland....... as opposed to a "biker" or a "gun-slinger".......... I forgot....... what or who was "Phantom Rider" and why should the rest of the world that couldn't care less about comic books care?

But give me a break......... if Marvel can't even figure it out what the genre/character of their own character is, then how exactly do YOU fit it into a Disney Park? It's not one, it's not the other, which is it? I'd prefer to avoid such ambiguity in a Disney Park, I like to know who my villians or heroes are........

Marvel is great and all, but most of us who don't read comic-books or otherwise ignore super-hero CGI movies don't care, but we do care about Disney - I get it, "Marvel IS coming" (I have a friend @ Disney who confirms it......... Marvel IS coming.........)........ if it's done right, I'll go on the ride........... but I was not "wearing ashes and sack cloth" (Google it) when Star Tours arrived and IJA was announced - I "got" the synergy and appreciated that Lucas tied his franchises to Disney (instead of Universal) - Marvel means NOTHING to me - even though WDC paid $4B for it........

THAT is Disney's problem - their core fans couldn't care less about Marvel........ YOU tread a very slippery slope when it comes to Marvel....... their storylines, their contemporary view of everyday life, the "grittiness" doesn't mesh w/ Disney who made their money off of 200-500 y/o fairy tales........ Lucas managed to bridge THAT...... Marvel doesn't even try..........

I sometimes wonder if you truly understand the emotional attachment many of us have...... how a story feeds into the theme, and how it all "fits"...........

I've said several times, a single Marvel attraction in TL and another in DCA would not be the end of the world, and if it was good, I'd even go on it......... But in the bigger picture, it's NOT just about attracting bois in the 13-25 age demographic.......... it's about theme and continuity......

Dude........ you are the resident Marvel Fanboi.................. but keep cheering, it amuses me.......

• Insomniac

Id like to see a classic gun fighters show. Animatronic figures of all the classic western gun fighters. It would be set up as a western justice hall of fame. Of course after introductions Jesse James and his gang of outlaws show up and bullets start flying. Guests can hear bullets whizzing past their heads as objects in the audience deform as the "bullets" appear to hit them. The gun fighters would pop up amongst the audience and fire back at the other gun fighters.

It would be like Frontierland's version of the original WDW attraction Alien Encounter. Lights would be shot out and gun fire would be heard and bullets whizzing past guests. "Lamps" would be lit at key points to show the gun fighters hiding behind objects to load their guns. The show ends with the outlaws escaping and Wyatt Earp clambering off after them with guns blazing.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
    Cal........ you've got to be kidding us, right? Phantom Rider? Marvel themselves couldn't figure out how to package this guy and the film failed horribly....... and YOU want to make him a franchise attraction? "Oh Yes! Let's build an attraction based on a failed movie venture!"..........

but here's Wikipedia's definition in case you forgot....... or lost your way in your comic books......

"The Phantom Rider is the name of "several" (emphasis MINE) fictional characters, Old West heroic gunfighters (Emphasis MINE........do you really think Disney is going to create a ride/attraction based on gun-fighters?) appearing in comic books in the Marvel Comics universe. The character name was originally called Ghost Rider, and was changed following the introduction of Marvel's motorcycle-riding character."

"Gun-fighter"? "Motorcycle-Rider"?......... neither of these Marvel Characters work in Frontierland unless you want a Hollister/Hell's Angel's re-enactment........ (Google it.......). And neither ideas work in Frontierland either, "Biker-Dude" or "Gun-slinger Dude".......

In case you didn't notice, there's no "National Treasure" attraction in any Disney Park either (or plans for any) - so, is it Nicholas Cage's fault, or is it Disney's? ......... Marvel just simply doesn't work in Frontierland......... is Phantom Rider a gun-slinger or a biker? I'd much prefer a Lone-Ranger character in Frontierland....... as opposed to a "biker" or a "gun-slinger".......... I forgot....... what or who was "Phantom Rider" and why should the rest of the world that couldn't care less about comic books care?

But give me a break......... if Marvel can't even figure it out what the genre/character of their own character is, then how exactly do YOU fit it into a Disney Park? It's not one, it's not the other, which is it? I'd prefer to avoid such ambiguity in a Disney Park, I like to know who my villians or heroes are........

Marvel is great and all, but most of us who don't read comic-books or otherwise ignore super-hero CGI movies don't care, but we do care about Disney - I get it, "Marvel IS coming" (I have a friend @ Disney who confirms it......... Marvel IS coming.........)........ if it's done right, I'll go on the ride........... but I was not "wearing ashes and sack cloth" (Google it) when Star Tours arrived and IJA was announced - I "got" the synergy and appreciated that Lucas tied his franchises to Disney (instead of Universal) - Marvel means NOTHING to me - even though WDC paid $4B for it........

THAT is Disney's problem - their core fans couldn't care less about Marvel........ YOU tread a very slippery slope when it comes to Marvel....... their storylines, their contemporary view of everyday life, the "grittiness" doesn't mesh w/ Disney who made their money off of 200-500 y/o fairy tales........ Lucas managed to bridge THAT...... Marvel doesn't even try..........

I sometimes wonder if you truly understand the emotional attachment many of us have...... how a story feeds into the theme, and how it all "fits"...........

I've said several times, a single Marvel attraction in TL and another in DCA would not be the end of the world, and if it was good, I'd even go on it......... But in the bigger picture, it's NOT just about attracting bois in the 13-25 age demographic.......... it's about theme and continuity......

Dude........ you are the resident Marvel Fanboi.................. but keep cheering, it amuses me.......

That was pretty rambling, but here's an answer to your question about is the Phantom Rider a Gunslinger or a Biker: He's a gunslinger. The Phantom Rider of the comics=/=the old west Ghost Rider of the movie. When he suggested Phantom Rider, he meant this guy:

Name:  98568671549784157.gif
Views: 34
Size:  69.5 KB

NOT THIS GUY

Name:  grider%20the%20phantom%20rider%20cliche.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  10.9 KB

How is a heroic gun slinging masked Marvel character any less appropriate then a heroic, gun slinging masked Lone Ranger? What about the rest of the people that don't give a crap about the Lone Ranger? Oh, that's different cause YOU like it. How about respecting the opinion of someone who gave a suggestion for what they would like to see, instead of mocking him for being a "Marvel fanboi"? And people wonder why the Marvel fans have been a little testy these days.

• All-American

I'd like to see something... anything... with some AAs and scenery. One disappointing thing about Frontierland, even with all of these western towns and boats and runaway trains, is the lack of actual cowboys, one of the most iconic elements of the American west. Tomorrowland has its spacemen, Adventureland has its explorers, and Fantasyland has its princesses, but where are our cowboys?? Another problem is the lack of a non-Rivers of America ride that the little guys can join in on - and it's often little kids that are most into the "cowboys and Indians" thing to begin with.

So I think the best solution would be either a stagecoach, or covered wagon, or even dropless flume ride (like small world) where the whole family could just admire the scenery and look at stuff. It wouldn't have to be boring, though... have geysers going off and almost (or actually) hit the guests... dancing saguaro cacti... robbers holding up a stagecoach, and then a sheriff showing up to stop them... Native Americans peeking at guests from behind rocks... guys doing a shootout all around the vehicle... and then a big hoedown when the good guys win (How well can AAs dance, anyway? I'd like to see WDI show us). And maybe some of the animatronic wildlife from Nature's Wonderland while they're at it. Just a good, old-school Disney Western dark ride (even if it's outdoors).
    Last edited by MarkTwain; 07-30-2011 at 12:44 AM.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by sdjeff4sc View Post

Your rant amazes me. Obviously you have had some traumatic experience with a comic book at a young age.

How does a gun fighter from the old west not fit into the old west setting of Frontierland? We are not talking about the modern Ghost Rider version on the motorcycle. Any infant can see that wouldn't fit so I'm not sure why you are bringing that version up.

As for your point that Lucas managed to fit but Marvel doesn't even try, you must have a DeLorean because no one can see what Marvel has tried to do in the parks yet because it isn't there. However, the next time you fire up your flux capacitor for a trip to the future, can you bring me back the lotto numbers and let me know who wins the world series?

As for you only wanting one or two Marvel attractions, I am in agreement and always have been. I have never suggested saturating the parks with Marvel. I have made several suggestions about where a ride or show would fit, but don't confuse that with saying that I want each of those proposals to come to fruition. If that were the case we would have a show, ride, or meet and greet in every land since I have found logical and thematically correct ways for it to fit everywhere.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Id like to see a classic gun fighters show. Animatronic figures of all the classic western gun fighters. It would be set up as a western justice hall of fame. Of course after introductions Jesse James and his gang of outlaws show up and bullets start flying. Guests can hear bullets whizzing past their heads as objects in the audience deform as the "bullets" appear to hit them. The gun fighters would pop up amongst the audience and fire back at the other gun fighters.

It would be like Frontierland's version of the original WDW attraction Alien Encounter. Lights would be shot out and gun fire would be heard and bullets whizzing past guests. "Lamps" would be lit at key points to show the gun fighters hiding behind objects to load their guns. The show ends with the outlaws escaping and Wyatt Earp clambering off after them with guns blazing.

I'd considered bringing up something along those lines involving Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday etc since Disney released Tombstone, under their Touchstone Pictures label, but figured people would just laugh at the idea. Tombstone also happens to be one of my all time favorite movies.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    So I think the best solution would be either a stagecoach, or covered wagon, or even dropless flume ride (like small world) where the whole family could just admire the scenery and look at stuff. It wouldn't have to be boring, though... have geysers going off and almost (or actually) hit the guests... dancing saguaro cacti... robbers holding up a stagecoach, and then a sheriff showing up to stop them... Native Americans peeking at guests from behind rocks... guys doing a shootout all around the vehicle... maybe some of the animatronic wildlife from Nature's Wonderland. Just a good old-fashioned Western dark ride (even if it's outdoors).
    Excellent! Make it part of an expanded, state of the art Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland, with a major Superstition Mountains dark ride section and Rainbow Caverns finale, and I'm there.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• -

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    I'd considered bringing up something along those lines involving Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday etc since Disney released Tombstone, under their Touchstone Pictures label, but figured people would just laugh at the idea. Tombstone also happens to be one of my all time favorite movies.
    Those sound like good ideas, but apparently gun fighters don't belong in the old west. Too bad because those would have been great.

• All-American

I once thought of an indoor show where an AA Native American would tell legends from the old west over a campfire, and the smoke (fog?) from the campfire would rise up to the ceiling and serve as a gradually growing, billowing, unfolding projection canvas for a WoC-style experience. The images would then be replaced/supplemented with AAs, fake gunfire, surround-sound sound effects, and whatever else to create an experience like the American Adventure at Epcot, but focused just on figures from the West and with a single narrator. I'm not sure what the demand for such an experience would be though, considering shows at Disneyland don't often have the longest shelf life.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Those sound like good ideas, but apparently gun fighters don't belong in the old west. Too bad because those would have been great.

Now now... MARVEL gun fighters don't, get it straight.

Disney's got to be kicking themselves for missing out on this Cowboys vs. Aliens idea.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Everyone neat and pretty?

Bring back Davy Crockett in a dark ride where he is trying to kill a bear (the rider). He pops up several times during the ride pointing a gun at you. The ride ends with a photo of someone from the ride vehicles head superimposed on a bearskin rug! And you thought Snow Whites Scary Adventures was bad!
    "Some of us prefer illusion to despair!" ~ Nelson Muntz of The Simpsons when being teased for liking Snow White and being told that she was just an actress.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast