My first Disneyland trip

I've seen some people write up trip reports, and since my girlfriend and I had a busy two days, I figured I'd share our schedule. We tried to be very strategic with our Fastpasses, and we were able to ride lots of rides and see lots of attractions as a result.

We drove from Arizona on Monday the 25th, and got to a friend's house in Anaheim about 8 hours later. A little trip to Downtown Disney was all we had energy for that day. It was an early night, as we knew the next day would be busy.

Tuesday morning, we woke up around 5:30, to be standing in line at the park by 7:30. When the gates opened at 7:50, I was so overwhelmed by everything. If you remember the first time you ever set foot in the park, that's what it was like. Everyone was smiling and very happy... Just beautiful.

Once they let us all the way in at 8, we went straight to Indy and rode it (since we didn't understand everything about Fastpasses yet). Indy actually broke down for about 15 minutes, first thing in the morning. I loved the amount of detail in everything, and began to understand the difference between Disneyland rides and every amusement park's rides. Next, we grabbed fastpasses for Thunder Mountain, and walked on to Haunted Mansion, then Pirates of the Caribbean. Next, it was time for Splash Mountain (the ride I was most looking forward to). After this, we got our first delicious Disney Churro. SO GOOD. We then got on Thunder Mountain. We walked back Splash Mountain to fastpass it, then back to New Orleans Square to ride the train around to Main St. Next, we checked out the Mr Lincoln show. It was a bit over patriotic and silly at times, but it was very well done on the whole.

Then came the first trip to California Adventure! The park was a bit underwhelming at the beginning. I understand they're in pretty major construction right now though. We walked through Bug's Land and took pictures with the various bugs. We got fast passes for Soarin, and hopped on Tower of Terror, as there was only a 15 minute wait. We checked out the Animation Studio. The Toy Story thing that spun around was incredible!

Then it was back to Disney, where we were delighted to find Space Mountain, after being closed for the better part of the morning. We fast passed it, and went to Splash Mountain, then Jungle Cruise. We had some time to kill before it was back to Soarin fast passes could be used, so we went to Astro Blasters. It was cute, and fun like a video game. Then we finally got to Soarin, which I'd heard so much about. It was beautiful! Probably my favorite ride in California Adventure. We went back to Disneyland and got Space Mountain fast passes, then checked out Tarzan's treehouse on our way back to New Orleans Square for clam chowder bread bowls for dinner. We did Pinnochio, which would be fun for kids. And finally, Space Mountain.

SPACE MOUNTAIN WAS SO COOL! SO COOL!!!! You all know that, but I didn't. We stopped by Innoventions, which had some interesting inventions. Next, we did It's a Small World. That ride is dated and could use a touch-up. I enjoyed the classic Disney aspect of it, which I guess is the major appeal. Then, we went to Toontown and checked out Mickey's House. Grabbed some pineapple soft serve on our way out, and decided to double back to watch some of Fantasmic, then the Fireworks. Finally, it was back to California Adventure for the late showing of World of Color. It was a phenomenal show. So beautiful. Lastly, we took advantage of short lines back in Disneyland, and hopped on Pirates and Haunted Mansion one more time.

We skipped Wednesday, and were back at Disneyland at 7:30 am on Thursday. We went straight to Star Tours, got fast passes, and rode Indy. Next up was Splash Mountain, where we walked on. We immediately went to do it again, and were surprised to see the boat filled with exactly the same people as last time! A middle eastern family of 3, they were very excited and funny throughout the ride. After the ride ended, the dad turned around to us and said, "We go for record- Six times!" We swung by Winnie the Pooh and Mr Toad, before getting fast passes for Splash Mountain. We then went to CA Adventure and grabbed fast passes for Soarin and World of Color, and hopped in line for Ariel. We were surprised to only wait 5 minutes, considering how hard Disney is advertising it. Next up was Grizzly. Then back to DL for Star Tours. It was amazing, and definitely worth the hype.

We took a little ride out to Tom Sawyer's Island, then got Thunder Mountain fast passes (the return time was 30 minutes later; the standby wait time was 35 minutes!). So yes, at this point, we had Star Tours, Space Mountain, Soarin over CA, Thunder Mountain, and World of Color Fast Passes!

We went on Space Mountain, then back to CA Adventure, where we got CA Screamin fast passes. Then we did Muppets 3D (a very cute show!), Soarin, Aladdin (the genie stole the show- very funny), and finally Screamin. Then it was back to Disney, we rode that final quarter from Main St to NO Square and hopped on Thunder Mountain. Then came dinner (My girlfriend had a corn dog and I had another bread bowl- this time, broccoli & cheddar). Then back to CA Adventure for Screamin. We had some time to kill before WoC, and didn't want to go back to Disneyland, so we hung out on the pier and rode Silly Symphony Swings and the Golden Zephyr. Then World of Color, Grizzly Rapids (in the freezing cold!).

And back to Disneyland one more time! We went on the funniest jungle cruise! Our tour guide's schtick must have been funny drunk. He was saying things like "What's that silly zebra doing with those lions up there? You silly, silly zebra..." And "I love my life! Love, love love it!" All in a very slurred, sarcastic, dry way. It was very funny. He didn't point out many things and didn't bother to pretend to steer the boat.

It was the final hour and a half now, and we did our three favorite rides from the weekend, Indy, Space, and Splash. We left the park at about 12:15, after a very full day.

Hopefully this was a bit interesting to some people. I know I didn't go into much detail, but it just gives you an idea of how much can be done in one day, without feeling rushed and still being able to enjoy the scenery. It was the perfect first trip to Disneyland.
    Name:  DSC05505.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  54.5 KBName:  DSC05496.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  66.3 KB

Attached are pictures of us on Space Mountain (in the back row) and of the Ferris Wheel from the Zephyr.

• Goofy

Re: My first Disneyland trip

glad to hear you guys had fun. thanks.

• Minion

nice report

• Some imagination, huh?

Glad your first trip to Disneyland was a good one and so was your first Disneyland churro

• Koubu Pilot

I don't think I could keep up with you at the parks. It's like you sprinted to every attraction. We drove over there 2 weeks ago from Mesa for our family vacation (we usually get to go each summer) and had a lot of fun. My legs were very tired.

The park does have some pretty tasty foodstuffs. Not just churros, the corn dogs are good. My nieces love the Tigger Tails and Cheshire Cat Tails. I see you had broccoli cheese bread bowl. That's a good choice for lunch.

What city do you live in? You'll find a bunch of other AZ Micechatters around here.

We actually didn't sprint at all! All walking, just planned out walking. The original plan was to do Tuesday and Wednesday, but we were just too exhausted on Wednesday.

Yeah I enjoyed the food, but tried to stay towards the lower end of the cost spectrum there. I thought that the prices were actually pretty reasonable for similar places. All of the food was very good though!

And I'm from Tucson. I'll be on the lookout for other Arizonians.

And thanks everyone for the feedback

• Minion

Great report, and it sounds like you had a fabulous time! I would just have to add though, that Pinocchio is actually pretty scary for little kids, and Snow White is even scarier . I'm pretty sure my son is going to be in therapy for years after his Pinocchio experience .

I'm exhausted just from reading your TR. I'm from Massachusetts so we also try to squeeze in everything that we can while we're there with a bit of planning and long days. When I read the part about your first glimpse of Main Street, I got all warm and fuzzy. That's such a fantastic moment.... I still feel it every time I come back.

I'd encourage you to try to get to DL during the holidays at some point. The first time I saw Main Street all decorated was just so beautiful. I'm glad I had my sunglasses on so nobody spotted the tear or two.

Welcome to Micechat!!!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Very nice TR, glad you had a good time. Thanks for sharing and welcome to MC fellow Zonie. We are heading over to DL this Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    What city do you live in? You'll find a bunch of other AZ Micechatters around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshizzle3 View Post
    And I'm from Tucson. I'll be on the lookout for other Arizonians.
    There are many here from AZ (all over the state) I know of a few that are also from the Tucson area. There are also some Northern AZ people and a good number from the Phoenix area. We are in the Phoenix area.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.