Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
  1. #1

    • Level 7 Galactic Hero
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A galaxy far, far away...
    Posts
    312

    What is Disneyland Missing?

    Hey all, DM here again. With my last few posts, as well as comments from others, I've seen some things that DL are misssing that it used to have that kept it fresh. I've kept going back and forth with ideas and all, but here is my list of things that Walt's original Magic Kingdom is missing or doing wrong, along with examples or reasons:

    1. Original, interesting ideas for attractions (an OBVIOUS reason)
    2. Not meeting all guest expectations (look at Winnie the Pooh)
    3. Return of favorites that are left hanging (i.e. Peoplemover or the Subs a few years back)
    4. The ability to outdo themselves (i.e. Pooh and Mermaid ride finale)
    5. Conditions of certain areas or things (like Monstro in Storybook Land at the moment)
    6. Come up with good campaigns ("Let the Memories Begin" was quickly overshadowed by "Soundsational Summer")
    7. If Disney wants to make a clone, make sure it's one that will be successful (i.e. Great Movie Ride if they plan to do it)
    8. A little behind in newest technologies (i.e. Harry Potter and the Forbbiden Journey at IOA in Orlando)

    So do you think the original "Happiest Place on Earth" is missing something? Post comments and thoughts below!
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

  2. #2

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    49

    Re: What is Disneyland Missing?

    Conestoga Wagon, hosted by McDonalds, for Conestoga Fries.

  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake
    Posts
    1,942

    Re: What is Disneyland Missing?

    I would love to see some original ride ideas come to the park expansion but I always have and always will just love being in the park so for me the only thing that is missing in Disneyland right now is ME!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA (aka-New Tijuana)
    Posts
    152

    Re: What is Disneyland Missing?

    Imagineers point to the loss of the skyway. Fantasyland's skyway station has been abandoned for years. There's a lot of unused or misused space at Disneyland...Starcade 2nd story, winnie the pooh, cascade peak's old footprint, the old motorboat pool between small world and TL...what am I forgetting?
    Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield...will be quite operational...when your friends arrive.

  5. #5

    • Disney is home
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    1,077

    Re: What is Disneyland Missing?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandMaster View Post
    1. Original, interesting ideas for attractions (an OBVIOUS reason)
    2. Not meeting all guest expectations (look at Winnie the Pooh)
    I had to reply on these two.

    1) There is a flaw in your first line, because there are original attractions at Disneyland such as: Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Indiana Jones, etc. You probably meant recently and I think Nemo was the most recent attraction added (not saying that was original, just saying that was the most recent attraction added). Then it depends on one's opinion on original. Is original an idea of an attraction that isn't at any other park? Or is original meant for something completely brand new and not a remake of a previous attraction, such as the subs?

    2) It's impossible to meet all guest expectations. Not everyone likes Pirates or the Haunted Mansion. I myself like Winnie the Pooh, the only problem I have with it is that its so far in the back. If Winnie the Pooh was located in Fantasyland, I am pretty sure the line for that would be much, much longer.

  6. #6

    • The Legend Ends
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    312

    Re: What is Disneyland Missing?

    I'm just going to put down what I wish they would do:

    update Indy
    either replace pooh with bambi or the Tokyo version.
    do something with the big thunder ranch
    get rid of that eyesore monstro and replace it with another transition
    update the AA's in Peter Pan.
    Put a BatB ride in the PFF area.
    add some new models to the storybook cruise (ex. Rapunzel's tower)
    make autopia hovertopia with the flying Saucer technology.
    make innoventions the stark expo
    get rid of the starcade and make it more futuristic with touch screen games and those games you play at malls with the projections on the floor
    take out red rockitts pizza and the 3D theater and make both the end of the line club from Tron legacy. they would be connected by a bridge overhead the entrance ramp for Space Mountain
    take out the Peoplemover track and Rocket Rods platform
    Re paint tomorrowland with a nice futuristic colour scheme
    take out the toy story references in Buzz lightyear.
    take out Nemo and replace it with a ride where you are exploring a water planet.
    I believe in Sherlock Holmes, Moriarty was real.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA (aka-New Tijuana)
    Posts
    152

    Re: What is Disneyland Missing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald1980 View Post


    2) It's impossible to meet all guest expectations. Not everyone likes Pirates or the Haunted Mansion. I myself like Winnie the Pooh, the only problem I have with it is that its so far in the back. If Winnie the Pooh was located in Fantasyland, I am pretty sure the line for that would be much, much longer.
    I wish we could re-imagine this ride. Maybe make it an outdoor type boat ride like storybook canal. I know that makes AA nearly impossible but...just imagine a cute little water ride through 100 acre wood. I understand it probably wouldn't be popular with anyone but me and others who enjoy natural settings but...
    Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield...will be quite operational...when your friends arrive.

  8. #8

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    32

    Re: What is Disneyland Missing?

    An update on Tomorrowland, here's mine(Some I took from others because I liked them.)
    1. Nemo would be turned into, Submarine Voyage: Atlantis (NOT based off the movie but just a trip to Atlantis)
    2. Astro Blasters would be turned into Space Travel Mission: MARS, thank you Sam for that.
    3. Space Mountain would have a temporary overlay for Stitch Mountain. The lines on Space Mountain would be painted dark blue and the spikes on the roof would be painted grey.
    4. Starcade would be the loading zone for the People Mover, a new track.
    5. Magic Eye Theater would be turned into Clone Wars Theater, it would air episodes of Clone Wars on Cartoon Network.
    6. ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter would take over Pizza Port.
    7. Store Command would be turned into the End of the Line Club from Tron. (Restraurant by the way.)
    8. Autopia would be turned into Hovertopia, thank you Right Ear for that.
    9. Innoventions would be updated, designed to look like a UFO and Tom Morrow would be replaced with a group of aliens.
    10. Paint Tomorrowland white, blue, and silver.
    Last edited by Buzz Lightyear; 07-31-2011 at 06:52 PM.

  9. #9

    • The Legend Ends
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    312

    Re: What is Disneyland Missing?

    dont thank me for the hovertopia idea buzz, it was Right Ears idea
    I believe in Sherlock Holmes, Moriarty was real.

  10. #10

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: What is Disneyland Missing?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandMaster View Post
    Hey all, DM here again. With my last few posts, as well as comments from others, I've seen some things that DL are misssing that it used to have that kept it fresh. I've kept going back and forth with ideas and all, but here is my list of things that Walt's original Magic Kingdom is missing or doing wrong, along with examples or reasons:

    1. Original, interesting ideas for attractions (an OBVIOUS reason)
    2. Not meeting all guest expectations (look at Winnie the Pooh)
    3. Return of favorites that are left hanging (i.e. Peoplemover or the Subs a few years back)
    4. The ability to outdo themselves (i.e. Pooh and Mermaid ride finale)
    5. Conditions of certain areas or things (like Monstro in Storybook Land at the moment)
    6. Come up with good campaigns ("Let the Memories Begin" was quickly overshadowed by "Soundsational Summer")
    7. If Disney wants to make a clone, make sure it's one that will be successful (i.e. Great Movie Ride if they plan to do it)
    8. A little behind in newest technologies (i.e. Harry Potter and the Forbbiden Journey at IOA in Orlando)

    So do you think the original "Happiest Place on Earth" is missing something?
    9. The beauty and serenity of the Court of Angels in New Orleans Square before it became an ODV station.

    10. The dozens of benches for sitting and people-watching that have been replaced by ODV carts selling cheap, generic glow-merch at giant markups.

    11. The unique shops in every land that sold only-in-that-land merchandise, which have been replaced by endless shelves of the same generic Disney merch you can find at WalMart.

    12. The charm of the Hills Brothers Coffee House and Tahitian Terrace restaurants.

    13. A Frontierland that truly was Frontierland.

    14. A Tomorrowland that truly was Tomorrowland.

    15. A corporate vision for Disneyland that made it a world-class vacation destination, unequaled in innovation, creativity and customer service.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-31-2011 at 12:01 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    130

    Re: What is Disneyland Missing?

    Disneyland needs at least one more major water ride. During the hot summer months, Splash Mountain has to pick up all the slack. Pirates and Small World don't count; they're more or less dark rides. If there was an additional water ride, perhaps in Frontierland, it could take some of the pressure off of Splash Mountain's long waits.

    Tomorrowland needs to finish up it's refurb and replace certain attractions with more theme-appropriate ones: Buzz with Wall*e, Innoventions with Tron (or Stark Industries...totally theme appropriate *rolls eyes*), and Submarine Voyage with Atlantis.

    Also, there needs to an additional E ticket to take the heat off of the others. Many people have been saying that Disneyland has reached capacity and they need another attraction to eat up the crowds.



    Today, I feel like driving through a cursed temple, taking a tour of a haunted antebellum mansion, plunging down a waterfall in a hollowed-out log, bobsledding down a famous swiss mountain, traveling through the darkest recesses of space, and watching fireworks explode over a fantastical castle.

    Yeah, that sounds fun.

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA (aka-New Tijuana)
    Posts
    152

    Re: What is Disneyland Missing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Lightyear View Post
    An update on Tomorrowland, here's mine(Some I took from others because I liked them.)
    1. Nemo would be turned into, Submarine Voyage: Atlantis (NOT based off the movie but just a trip to Atlantis)
    2. Astro Blasters would be turned into Space Travel Mission: MARS, thank you Sam for that.
    3. Space Mountain would have a temporary overlay for Stitch Mountain. The lines on Space Mountain would be painted dark blue and the spikes on the roof would be painted grey.
    4. Starcade would be the loading zone for the People Mover, a new track.
    5. Magic Eye Theater would be turned into Clone Wars Theater, it would air episodes of Clone Wars on Cartoon Network.
    6. ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter would take over Pizza Port.
    7. Store Command would be turned into the End of the Line Club from Tron. (Restraurant by the way.)
    8. Autopia would be turned into Hovertopia, thank you FantasiaFan for that.
    9. Innoventions would be updated, designed to look like a UFO and Tom Morrow would be replaced with a group of aliens.
    10. Paint Tomorrowland white, blue, and silver.
    Store Command's that little gift shop after Buzz right? Is there enough room there? I really like the restaurant idea but i think it would work better were there's more room next to space mountain. As far as watching 30 minute clone wars cartoons (and I am a big fan), I don't think people would sit through it.
    Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield...will be quite operational...when your friends arrive.

  13. #13

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,346

    Re: What is Disneyland Missing?

    Disneyland is missing the originality it had during its first 25 years. Too many things added in the last 30 years have been either based on films Disney had no part in making or have been copied from ride concepts or show concepts already in existence and simply Disney-fied. Disney needs to return to the condition where Disney is originating the ideas instead of simply reflecting trends in entertainment.

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA (aka-New Tijuana)
    Posts
    152

    Re: What is Disneyland Missing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    9. The beauty and serenity of the Court of Angels in New Orleans Square before it became an ODV station.

    10. The dozens of benches for sitting and people-watching that have been replaced by ODV carts selling cheap, generic glow-merch at giant markups.

    11. The unique shops in every land that sold unique, only-in-that-land merchandise, that have been replaced by endless shelves of the same generic Disney merch that you can find at WalMart.

    12. The unique charm of the Hills Brothers Coffee House and Tahitian Terrace restaurants.

    13. A Frontierland that truly was Frontierland.

    14. A Tomorrowland that truly was Tomorrowland.

    15. A corporate vision for Disneyland that made it a world-class vacation destination, unequaled in innovation, creativity and customer service.
    Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield...will be quite operational...when your friends arrive.

  15. #15

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,542

    Re: What is Disneyland Missing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Lightyear View Post
    8. Autopia would be turned into Hovertopia, thank you FantasiaFan for that.
    Mag-lev technology would be better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Lightyear View Post
    10. Paint Tomorrowland white, blue, and silver.
    Didn't they already start doing that?

    Also, I think one of the main things Disneyland is missing is the sense of politeness that the guests used to have when visiting the parks. That is something that is sorely lacking today that it is the responsibility of every park visitor to be conscious of so that visiting the parks may be a more pleasant experience for everyone.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Chat] What is Disneyland missing? - Fear of Walt' Wrath
    By GothicManor in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 12:06 PM
  2. What one Disneyland snack can you not live without?
    By pineapplewhipaddict in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 03-30-2006, 06:21 PM
  3. What DCA is Missing...
    By PanTheMan in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 06-11-2005, 04:48 PM
  4. Whoa! What Happened?! Disneyland Planning DVD
    By jag82177 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 03:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •