Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are they installing the new Matterhorn Bobsleds this refurbishment?

Or are they waiting for the next refurb to install them?

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Re: Are they installing the new Matterhorn Bobsleds this refurbishment?

They are probably going to be installed in the major rehab starting in January. I truly hope Disney reconsiders this decision and rethinks their strategy. One of the major traits of the Matterhorn is that you can ride with a partner; eliminating this seating configuration simply nullifies one of the major unique aspects this attraction has to offer and it unlikely that capacity will increase as a result. Now that children will not be able to ride with their parent, many will opt out of riding entirely, essentially decreasing the family aspect which has made this attraction famous. I can't remember how many times I've had so much fun riding doubles with my group, and to think that's going to be no more is a damn shame.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-31-2011 at 11:43 AM.

• Disney is home

What I have heard is that it won't be this phase. Matterhorn is slated to re-open early September and then will go down again in the Winter.

I think they're installing new track sections. I don't know if that means new cars too. Previous threads have posts about the track being re-done. There's also talk of there being another, longer closure early next year.
    Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield...will be quite operational...when your friends arrive.

• Minion

They have to do it to make the lawyers happy... in this day and age u can't have a rolar coaster u can unbuckle ur seat belt at any time and jump out.

• Banned User

Meh, good riddance. I'm tired of having be be on constant lookout for a gal I'm riding with's head smacking me in the face an slamming my knee into the side during turns. And the wrenched back that comes with being tossed around like a rag doll if you ride single.

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    Meh, good riddance. I'm tired of having be be on constant lookout for a gal I'm riding with's head smacking me in the face an slamming my knee into the side during turns. And the wrenched back that comes with being tossed around like a rag doll if you ride single.
    I'm gonna miss ALL that stuff! That's old school. I won't deny the new designs are all improvements though. Lines should be shorter too, with the higher capacity and all.
    Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield...will be quite operational...when your friends arrive.

But I wonder if they will allow lap sitting for younger children, though.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatIsThis View Post
    But I wonder if they will allow lap sitting for younger children, though.
    ooh. Good question. Probably not. Do they allow it at Space Mountain FL? The cars will be similar.

I think they will wait for the January to June 2012 phase, because they will also need to rearrange the queue for the new bodsleds. I think the new seating arrange might be an approvement, because the current one is somewhat uncomfortable to ride with someone else.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pezlort View Post
    I'm gonna miss ALL that stuff! That's old school. I won't deny the new designs are all improvements though. Lines should be shorter too, with the higher capacity and all.
    The capacity increase is highly suspicious at best because currently the bobsleds can hold 8 riders when fully loaded, the new ones will have 6. I truly believe that it will balance out in the end and average the same riders per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    I don't understand why people automatically assume that it's the double seating configuration that causes their discomfort. These bobsleds are really old and needed to be redesigned for a long time, that doesn't mean they can't devise a better and more comfortable way of having two riders with thicker padding and a new cradled seat shape.

• Insomniac

I don't understand why they can have locking seat belts on Indi but on the Matterhorn the only solution is lap bars. I don't see why it would be that difficult to have a locking mechanism placed into the seat belts. The track/ cars do need redesigning. The ride has gradually become more rough over the years. It is still my favorite ride but I do not ride doubles ever! It's sad to see them go since the ability to ride with my dad was what made this my favorite ride.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    I don't understand why they can have locking seat belts on Indi but on the Matterhorn the only solution is lap bars. I don't see why it would be that difficult to have a locking mechanism placed into the seat belts. The track/ cars do need redesigning. The ride has gradually become more rough over the years. It is still my favorite ride but I do not ride doubles ever! It's sad to see them go since the ability to ride with my dad was what made this my favorite ride.
    Actually the new vehicles have locking seat belts like Indy, not lap bars.

• We Go On.

^Lap bars was the latest I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz in his 6/21 update, "Road Map"
    After a June with short rehabs at Big Thunder and Matterhorn Bobsleds, there’s a brief reprieve around the July 4th holiday week. But from July 11th until Labor Day weekend the Matterhorn will close again for the first phase of a two-phase major refurbishment. The Matterhorn will then stay open for the fall and Christmas season, before closing in early January for the first six months of 2012. It’s during that six month period when the new bobsleds with lap bars will be installed, the mountain will be painted and refurbished cosmetically, and it’s also when Tony Baxter hopes to cram as many technology upgrades and new effects in as his budget will allow.
    And, to the OP, it looks like Al believes the bobsleds will be brought in the second refurb.

• Inappropriate

If they're going to be anything like WDW's Space Mountain cars, count me in as excited. I'll be able to enjoy the scenery more than trying to avoid who-ever-is-in-front-of-me's head smashing my nose. Lately I've been getting my own seat any way, so I'm that person slightly decreasing ride capacity

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast