Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• We set sail for the sky

Just Returned from DLR... Some Positive, Negative, and Neutral Observations

My partner and I just returned from our annual four day Disneyland trip. Some observations:

On the positive side…
    I actually enjoyed Pirates more with the Blackbeard change. I absolutely loathe the Johnny Depp movie additions to the ride, and Blackbeard is WAY less annoying than “Davey Jonessss-uhhhhh.” It was also great to end the ride without hearing that voice... "When NEXT you sail.... SAIL with Davey Jonesssssss... HA HA HA!" *shudder*

The Little Mermaid was so much better in person vs watching the Youtube video of it (obviously.) I wasn’t impressed with the ride after seeing a video of it, but experiencing it in person really made me appreciate it. Well done. And what a people-eater.

The new dining area in DCA is just gorgeous and very well done.

It’s Tough To Be a Bug is awesome every time. I hope it sticks around for awhile.

It was really exciting to see Buena Vista Street in its very earliest stages. I am more excited about that addition than about any other piece of the DCA makeover.

We encountered many people on classic Disneyland rides like the Haunted Mansion and Indiana Jones who had never ridden them before, and that was refreshing since we usually visit during October when it is primarily locals in the park. It was a really cool to experience the rides for the first time right along with them.

I was sad to see the Matterhorn closed, but very excited about the new bobsleds. No more lap sitting! Of course we’re still a ways off from that, but still.

The vegetable ragout with blackened chicken at Cafe Orleans is to die for.

On the negative side...
    Way too many screaming things: babies, children, girls, boys, women, men… I know I have overly sensitive ears (this is why I always request to sit in the back of the train on Space Mountain and Big Thunder), but there is no need to scream at the top of your lungs for no reason (i.e. when the lights go out in the Haunted Mansion portrait room.) I understand screaming because you’re having fun, but gratuitous screaming is just rude.

Way too many people reaching over the boats on Splash, Pirates, etc to splash water at their friend/child/significant other/wife/husband/parent.

Way too much talking during quiet portions of rides. I will never understand why people don’t just sit quietly and enjoy the banjo strumming and fake bug sounds in the Blue Bayou area of pirates.

Way too many people taking flash pictures during dark rides of the rides or of their children and/or significant others riding said rides.

Way too many people texting or having their cell phone turned up to maximum brightness during dark rides. I know I’m in the minority, but I always leave my cell phone in my hotel room when I go to Disneyland. I want to be completely cut off from what is going on in the real world, and if anyone needs me, I’ll get back to them when I return to the hotel. Of course I don’t mind you using your cell phone while you are waiting in line to pass the time, but at least have the courtesy to turn it off when the ride starts.

I know this is preaching to the choir, but SOMEthing needs to be done about Tomorrowland. The stark contrast between the quality of that land and the rest of Disneyland is just embarrassing, and I absolutely dread going through that bottleneck created by the Astro Orbiter only to find out that all of the Space Mountain fast passes for the day were used up by 1 o’clock.

With the intense July crowds, I know there aren't many other options, but it really makes for an unpleasant experience when you’re already struggling to survive crossing through New Orleans Square during or right after Fantasmic and you have cast members waving their glow sticks and screaming at the top of their lungs to stay on one side or the other. We aren’t cattle.

On the neutral side…

A lady behind us in line for Haunted Mansion had a little girl who was probably about 2 and she asked if it was scary. I explained that certain parts were scarier than others but that she would probably be fine. And then she told me that the little girl was scared by Mr. Toad, and the second they entered the mansion the little girl freaked out and they left. After hearing this, when I rode all of the Fantasyland dark rides later on, I was pretty shocked by how scary they would seem to a small child. Snow White with the scary witches and the trees with scary faces and the skeletons in the dungeon… Pinocchio with that donkey scene. Enough said. “Mama! Papa!”… And of course Mr. Toad (which is one of my favorite rides in the whole resort) with the tongue-in-cheek hell scene, which I have always loved because it is so NOT typical Disney, but I could see how a child would be scared by it.

Anyway, that's my $.02.
    Last edited by Ryancr78; 08-02-2011 at 04:57 PM.

• Seasick

Re: Just Returned from DLR... Some Positive, Negative, and Neutral Observations

Good observations, thanks for the interesting trip report!
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Banned User

It's funny how many kids are terrified of Mr. Toad. I can understand though, in the ride you die... and go to hell. Great message for kids about the afterlife lol

• Storyteller

I completely agree with you that the negative aspects of Disneyland are a result of rude and unpleasant guests. People are always talking, texting, and taking flash pictures on dark, theatrical rides like Pirates and HM. I used to ask these people to please refrain from what they're doing but have pretty much stopped altogether after several incidents where I was threatened with violence and profanity from these people. There are a lot of great people and families that attend the parks, but the handful of trashy/inconsiderate guests really put me down sometimes. They don't deserve to be there.

• I'm not really here

Awesome observations. There's a lot of just general politeness things that would go a LONG way to fixing 90% of the issues you had. I do carry my cell phone in the park, but only because my job more or less requires it. But if I'm on a ride, I don't care which ride, my cell phone is not coming out of my pocket. I tell my bosses that every time I'm there. If I don't answer it's because I'm on something and I'll call you back in 5 - 10 minutes.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I visited London a few weeks ago, and I have to say Mr. Toads Wild Ride is pretty much the same as taking a taxi around London. Being on the other side of the road and crazy round abouts never knowing which way you're going next. Glad I wasn't behind the wheel. Fun though.

• Banned User

Unfortunately, there are a lot more rude jerks in North American society than there ever were, and some of them will end up at theme parks, too. Incidentally, if you ever get threatened by someone, all Disney parks have security, and you can ask a CM to call them.

Did you meet any nice or overtly friendly people? Those are always my favorite memories from the parks.
    - Bobd

• We set sail for the sky

Of course we had many pleasant interactions with people and of course nearly all of the CMs were beyond friendly and helpful. It's just the unpleasant experiences that stick out and drive me to post about them on micechat.

• I'm from Canada eh!

I agree with the whole inapprorate screaming thing. It doens't really bother me, but it scares my kids.

I have to agree with screaming on rides. Especially at parts that are not at all scary, i.e. the end of Big Thunder, start and end of Space Mountain, and the worse is when the elevator doors close on Tower of Terror, really? the ride hasn't even started yet. The loud screaming just to grab attention is annoying. That's why I say no minors should be allowed in without a parent. I hate when people to have to make those screams/scary noises on Haunted Mansion during the stretching room. Besides being rude it also makes it even scarier for little kids that already too afraid to ride it.

I once was on Tower of Terror and a teenager was screaming at the top of her lungs before the elevator even moved. She thought it was funny, but her mom did not and asked her to stop. She gave a bratty comment. The mom said if she continues they will leave. Well she did it through the entire ride. 15 minutes later I seen them walking back to the trams. Good parenting!

Hopefully the negativity didn't take too much away from your trip

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Great report. We agree that Disneyland looks great, the DCA changes are exciting and there are certainly a lot of people in America who don't know how to be polite to others under crowded conditions.

Also enjoyed your comments about scary things for kids. If you think about it, all those early Disney movies had plenty of dark and scary segments. I think we've been overly whitewashing things for kids in recent times (making them incapable of handling even remotely scary situations). Compare Winnie the Pooh to Snow White or Peter Pan. No one is trying to kill Pooh in his ride, but most of the other early Disney characters were in life and death circumstances.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancr78 View Post
    Of course we had many pleasant interactions with people and of course nearly all of the CMs were beyond friendly and helpful. It's just the unpleasant experiences that stick out and drive me to post about them on micechat.
    I understand.
    - Bobd

• Minion

I traumatized my 2-year-old on Pinocchio recently, having forgotten how scary it really is. I wrote a blog post about it here.

But the scariest part is not Pinocchio turning into a donkey. Here's the donkey scene:

It actually starts with this guy:

And the scariest part is definitely this, since he swims right toward you as you pass by like he's Jaws or something.

High numbers of rude, inconsiderate guests are unfortunately just another symptom of the summer season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast