Birthday trip 8/7/2011

Hey everyone! I might be heading to Disneyland tomorrow for my 23rd birthday! I just have a few questions that I wasn't sure about:

1) Is it easier to park at the Toy Story Lot? (proposed 3rd Gate location?) I've never had to park at Disneyland before.

2) What am I allowed to bring into the park? (Food, drink bottles, etc.)

3) I know the Matterhorn is down, but is there anything else that's closed or being refurbished?

4) Do you think it will be busy?

5) What's the best way to get from Hollywood area to the Resort? I heard the 5 can be ridiculous in the morning and evening. Don't get me started on the 101

Any information would be greatly appreciated! This is a spur of the moment trip, so I'm trying to be a make-shift travel agent for myself and a friend lol

P.S. If this all goes down smoothly, then I'll be sure to post a Photo Trip Report!

Today, I feel like driving through a cursed temple, taking a tour of a haunted antebellum mansion, plunging down a waterfall in a hollowed-out log, bobsledding down a famous swiss mountain, traveling through the darkest recesses of space, and watching fireworks explode over a fantastical castle.

Yeah, that sounds fun.

42 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth

Re: Birthday trip 8/7/2011

I live in the San Fernando Valley and take the 5...it's horrible. Probably since it's a Sunday it won't be too bad, but it is the 5 so who knows.

I know you can't bring in glass bottles.

You can check the disneyland website for ride closures but keep in mind they don't update it with closures that happen during the day, they just have the refurb schedule.

As far as being busy, yes and no. It is summer, but for some reason the last couple of Sundays have been pretty nice.

And I've never parked at the Toy Story Lot...sorry.
    Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
    Tour the Walt Disney Studios
    Work for Disney

Greetings Drewfimboy!

1) I suggest the parking structure because all you need to take is the parking lot tram. You could walk from there too if you wanted to. The Toy Story lot requires that you take a bus shuttle to the park.

2)Drinks are allowed in only if their in plastic containers. I believe food is allwed too.

3) You can check the Disneyland website for this information. To the best of my knowledge nothing really major will be closed besides the Matterhorn.

4) Depending on when your going it should be okay. Over the next couple of weeks, crowds should be winding down as school is back in session.

5) I'll let someone else tell you. I don't have knowledge of the roads

Have a great Birthday!!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by StaceeyL View Post
    I live in the San Fernando Valley and take the 5...it's horrible. Probably since it's a Sunday it won't be too bad, but it is the 5 so who knows.

I know you can't bring in glass bottles.

You can check the disneyland website for ride closures but keep in mind they don't update it with closures that happen during the day, they just have the refurb schedule.

As far as being busy, yes and no. It is summer, but for some reason the last couple of Sundays have been pretty nice.

And I've never parked at the Toy Story Lot...sorry.
    Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Greetings Drewfimboy!

1) I suggest the parking structure because all you need to take is the parking lot tram. You could walk from there too if you wanted to. The Toy Story lot requires that you take a bus shuttle to the park.

2)Drinks are allowed in only if their in plastic containers. I believe food is allwed too.

3) You can check the Disneyland website for this information. To the best of my knowledge nothing really major will be closed besides the Matterhorn.

4) Depending on when your going it should be okay. Over the next couple of weeks, crowds should be winding down as school is back in session.

5) I'll let someone else tell you. I don't have knowledge of the roads

Have a great Birthday!!
    Thanks! The reason why I'm not sure about parking in the structure is because I always hear bad things about it. How it's sticky, dirty, the trams take too long, etc. But I've heard parking in the Toy Story Lot is more pleasant and the buses are better.

I hope it's not busy tomorrow! I'm slightly depressed that the Matterhorn is down. It's my favorite ride at Disneyland But oh well, I'm taking my bf who's never been before and I keep trying to tell him how amazing it is and so much better than the Magic Kingdom. I can't wait to see his face when he realizes how high-quality everything is!

Does anyone have any more advice? Places to eat? I've only been to Disneyland once yall! lol

Today, I feel like driving through a cursed temple, taking a tour of a haunted antebellum mansion, plunging down a waterfall in a hollowed-out log, bobsledding down a famous swiss mountain, traveling through the darkest recesses of space, and watching fireworks explode over a fantastical castle.

Yeah, that sounds fun.

I don't think the parking structure is as bad as everyone says it is. It's a little better than your standard mall parking garage. Much safer and maybe a tad cleaner too.

Have fun!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

42 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth

I go at least once a month and haven't had any problems in the parking structure. Yes, it's sometimes dirty. That's the only thing that bothers me. As far as trams go, they are quick and the only time you have problems is if people try to push in front of you at the end of the night. Most of the time that doesn't happen.

As far as food, I like the Cafe Orleans. The garlic fries are amazing. I also like the Plaza Inn. They have the best cobb salad I've ever had, I find myself craving it all the time.

---------- Post added 08-06-2011 at 02:58 PM ----------

I also know that if you leave after 10pm there is virtually NO traffic on the way home, unless there is road construction or an accident.
    Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
    Tour the Walt Disney Studios
    Work for Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I don't think the parking structure is as bad as everyone says it is. It's a little better than your standard mall parking garage. Much safer and maybe a tad cleaner too.

Have fun!
    I will! Well if it isn't that bad I might give it a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by StaceeyL View Post
    I go at least once a month and haven't had any problems in the parking structure. Yes, it's sometimes dirty. That's the only thing that bothers me. As far as trams go, they are quick and the only time you have problems is if people try to push in front of you at the end of the night. Most of the time that doesn't happen.

As far as food, I like the Cafe Orleans. The garlic fries are amazing. I also like the Plaza Inn. They have the best cobb salad I've ever had, I find myself craving it all the time.

---------- Post added 08-06-2011 at 02:58 PM ----------

I also know that if you leave after 10pm there is virtually NO traffic on the way home, unless there is road construction or an accident.
    Cafe Orleans sounds cool! I think I ate at the French Market last time.

I think we're staying until closing, so 16 hours of Disneyland fun lol I'm gonna be downing coffee like no other!

Yeah, that sounds fun.

• Hukuna Matata!

Quote Originally Posted by Drewfilmboy View Post
    Hey everyone! I might be heading to Disneyland tomorrow for my 23rd birthday! I just have a few questions that I wasn't sure about:

1) Is it easier to park at the Toy Story Lot? (proposed 3rd Gate location?) I've never had to park at Disneyland before.
    I have always loved the parking structure, but recently two good friends turned us on to toystory, and I love it, the buses run all the time, never a long wait, and they are so cool inside and comfy. I would try them if I were you, you may never go back

2) What am I allowed to bring into the park? (Food, drink bottles, etc.)

Really if it fits in your bag they let you bring it in, if it something that needs iced down in a large cooler they will instruct you to put it into a locker as long as it will fit, when taking snacks in my bag, I will keep a ziplock quart sized and fill it full of ice, in a walmart like bag with food and sandwich makings, and then keep the bread seperate, most times we will just buy drinks, but have brought them in the same bag as well.

3) I know the Matterhorn is down, but is there anything else that's closed or being refurbished?
    ?
    4) Do you think it will be busy?
    It didnt look very busy today, hopefully tommorow will be the same, I bet there will be people that are squeezing in those last minute trips before school starts soon.

5) What's the best way to get from Hollywood area to the Resort? I heard the 5 can be ridiculous in the morning and evening. Don't get me started on the 101

Not sure about this one.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! This is a spur of the moment trip, so I'm trying to be a make-shift travel agent for myself and a friend lol

P.S. If this all goes down smoothly, then I'll be sure to post a Photo Trip Report!
    Cant wait for that trip report and Happy Birthday!!!!

Ok, so I did end up going to Disneyland for my birthday yesterday...

We woke up early at 7am and got to Disneyland by 9am. It only took us an hour drive from Hollywood area. I-5 wasn't bad at all, probably because it was a Sunday. I, of course, forgot my camera (and sunglasses naturally) so this should have been a huge omen for me.

Now, my bf knows and respects the fact that I'm obsessed with theme parks, but he's the type of person who is "logical" and a "new-age spiritual chakra-conscience theologian". Which means that he interprets/blames things on spiritual energies or vibes when things just are the way they are. I'm more simple and view the world in the now and react accordingly.

That leads me to this semi-disaster of a day which will hopefully teach you to think about who you should and shouldn't bring to Disneyland.

My bf had been to WDW countless times and he was in fact excited to see the original disney park. He marveled at how quant and charming the entrance was, and how similar to the Magic Kingdom it appeared. His reaction was important to me because I wanted to bask in the magic of witnessing his first time at Disneyland. I wanted him to have fun with me on my birthday at my favorite place in the whole world (besides Ocean City, MD).

I already had a plan mapped out which would allow us to see and do everything. I decided to take the "theatrical route" which meant going clock-wise around DL so that by the time night falls, we'd be in Tomorrowland. Here is what we were able to accomplish starting at 9am on a Sunday in Summer:

Indiana Jones Adventure - 20 min wait. This ended up being his favorite ride. The boulder trick FREAKED HIM OUT.
    The Jungle Cruise - 10 min wait
    Pirates of the Caribbean - 10 min wait
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - 10 min wait. It was trippy. It was fun.
    Tom Sawyer Island (idc what they call it, it's still Tom Sawyer Island) I enjoyed it MUCH more than WDW's
    Splash Mountain - 15 min wait (with Fastpass, standby was at 40 min) I sat in the front and got more wet on the Dark Drop than I did the Final Drop.
    LUNCH at Hungry Bear Restaurant. Had the chicken sandwich; twas tasty!
    Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes - 5 min wait. This was awesome. We got to race with another canoe!

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - 30 min wait. And this, boys and girls, is where it all went wrong. While I won't go into specifics, I mentioned something I probably shouldn't have about an opportunity I didn't act on/notice that sent my bf into a terrible mood and made this the most uncomfortable ride experience I've ever been on. What does one do when you're arguing with someone and then get on a roller coaster with them? Even after trying to calm him down and remind him it was my birthday and he's making it awkward, there was no salvaging the outcome of this day.

After some more arguing and pouty resting at the hub, he asked what I wanted to do, clearly showing he didn't care what we did and that he didn't really want to be there anymore. He was obligated to be there because it was my b-day. I should also mentioned that I paid for his ticket. Just putting that out there.

I was angry this was happening at DL (because it's happened before) and upset he didn't seem to care.

So naturally I went to Fantasyland.

We did the Sleeping Beauty Castle Tour (which he was not impressed with and looked uncomfortable with the loud swarm of families in those tight corridors. I too, was disappointed that this once serene experience was overtaken by loud hispanic families who kept calling "the princess" Snow White. "Where are da midgets?"
    Snow White - Broke down while in line, But we got on it later with a 20 min wait.
    Pinocchio's Daring Journey - 20 min wait. It was my first time, thought it was a nice ride, but they skipped over the cool Wale story aspect.
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - 20 min wait AND broke down right after we got on the ride! We never got to ride it - He refused to wait in that line again.
    Peter Pan's Flight - 30 min wait while it was broken down. Too short of a ride.

What is up with Fantasyland dark rides breaking down all the time? Do they always have stacking issues?

This is when he appologized for being "grumpy" (I didn't need a thesaurus to list other words that described him) and he decided he wanted to go on a ride. He chose Storybookland Canal Boats of ALL the rides. Strange? Yes. But I've never been on it before so why not?

After that he was getting tired and fatigued so we rested by the dead Matterhorn area while the 4 pm parade went by. He was getting grumpy again, and while I admitt I was tired, I NEVER stop. So we argued some more.

We decided to get Dinner at the Tomorrowland Terrace (meh, decent enough) and we refueled on caffeine.

Captain Eo - no wait but packed theater with raucous fans. It was strange, like a concert, but fun to laugh at all the heinous hairstyles.
    Star Tours - must have broken down earlier because it was only a 35 min wait! It was alright, felt a bit nauseous afterwards.
    Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage - 35 min wait. He liked this one. Thought it was claustrophobic, but cool.
    And then at 7pm, we had fastpasses for Space Mountain. We did it. It was awesome. He liked it.

He wanted to leave. At 7pm. I asked if we could go on one more ride. He groaned and clearly didn't want to. But it was my birthday. So we walked over to Haunted Mansion. We begrudgingly stood in line and looked pissed. I didn't want to argue in front of all those people and felt guilty so I asked if he really wanted to leave. He stormed off out of the line and we argued along the shore of ROA. I was sick of this and told him I just wanted to leave because he was "staining Disneyland and making me never want to come back here again". Not true but it effectively shut him up (I'd have to be REALLY ANGRY to say something like that about something I constantly talk about and love.

So we headed out through Main Street, but not before stopping by the bakery - I really need to learn the names of the stores - so he could buy me a flipflop cookie and purple lollopop that resembled the Lumpy Space Princess from Adventure Time on Cartoon Network (best show EVA). We left at 8pm exhausted, tired, nerves on end from the tension.

On the way home, while shoving the flipflop cookie down my throat, I turned to him and said "If you ever pull that again at Disneyland or Disney California Adventure, I will literally eat your soul..."

He apologized.

Despite all that happened, I still had fun times at Disneyland and got to go on some of my favorite rides along with a few new ones.

I'll post pics that I took with my Droid Incredible-ly dumb later. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Drewfilmboy; 08-08-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Yeah, that sounds fun.