Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Little Things We Miss...

One of the great things about Disneyland... and what truly sets it apart from other parks... is the density of detail. Practically everywhere you turn, you'll find a little "extra" something to make your experience even more magical. Often, these are very simple things; neither elaborate nor particularly costly. But... times change and things come and go.

There was a time when they offered "Mint Juleps" on the Mark Twain. Often, a dixieland band would provide music in the evenings. Today, gliding around the Rivers Of America after dark is a relaxing and soothing experience. The festive party atmosphere of yesterday was a lot of fun, though!

What "little thing" about Disneyland has gone missing that you'd like to see again?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Re: Little Things We Miss...

That sounds so heavenly. It truly does.

I miss running around on Tom Sawyer's Island. Yes I know I can still do that, but it's not the same as when I was a kid KWIM?

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Space Mist. That and the "Space Bar" at the bottom of the Peoplemover/Rocket Jets station.

I miss the days before F! when one could ride the Mark Twain most any evening. Thanks for the trivia Tom! I never knew they sold Mint Juleps on the Twain.

All right, the little things I miss. Mind you, I'm pretty happy about the current state of the park, but there are elements of its past I look fondly upon:

I miss the food offerings at Fowler's Harbor (clam chowder, not fries). I miss Thurl's voice on the DLRR, the "Two Brothers" song in Lincoln, and the multi-level kinetics of the pre-1998 Tomorrowland. I miss Beverly at the Disney Gallery, the ride descriptions and multiple pages in the pre-fold out guidebooks, and last but not least, I miss the quiet darkness just before a Country Bears show...

Yes, I'm thankful for what we have, but I do miss these things...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    One of the great things about Disneyland... and what truly sets it apart from other parks... is the density of detail. Practically everywhere you turn, you'll find a little "extra" something to make your experience even more magical. Often, these are very simple things; neither elaborate nor particularly costly. But... times change and things come and go.

There was a time when they offered "Mint Juleps" on the Mark Twain. Often, a dixieland band would provide music in the evenings. Today, gliding around the Rivers Of America after dark is a relaxing and soothing experience. The festive party atmosphere of yesterday was a lot of fun, though!

What "little thing" about Disneyland has gone missing that you'd like to see again?

• Minion

The extra entertainment also.
    Remember when "Alturas" played in Adventureland in the summer?
    The New Orleans constant entertainers, dancers, bands,etc.
    The ability to get a mint julep at the little Mint Julep window.
    The warm -up entertainment before a parade.
    Seeing the park at night from the skyway.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    Mind you, I'm pretty happy about the current state of the park, but there are elements of its past I look fondly upon:
    Exactly. My intention is not to moan or complain here. Just reminisce a bit. There are plenty of details that exist today that didn't exist in the past. Perhaps another thread could come out of that!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

•   
    • Minion

1. Space Mist!
    2. Big Bands playing at Carnation Gardens.
    3. Mile Long Bar.
    4. American Patriotism that was inbedded in Tomorrowland... Sort of an "American Optimism" (America Sings, Circlevision, Mission to Mars) that was not jingoistic - but is no longer there...
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    1. Space Mist!
    2. Big Bands playing at Carnation Gardens.
    3. Mile Long Bar.
    4. American Patriotism that was inbedded in Tomorrowland... Sort of an "American Optimism" (America Sings, Circlevision, Mission to Mars) that was not jingoistic - but is no longer there...
    MILE LONG BAR! I loved going in there after playing a few games at 'Teddi Barra's Swingin' Arcade...' Two things I miss as well.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Ice cream at Carnation.

•   
    • Minion

I also miss Mr. Lincoln's old soundtrack... Wow, what a voice!!!
    Check out my other blog:

• Animatronic

I miss many elements of Disneyland in the 1970's. Bear Country, the isolated pre-splash mountain, pre-fantasmic feel of the Haunted Mansion. The wide open pre-fantasmic walkways of frontierland. I miss the minetrain ride and it's water features and movement along the rivers of america. Skull Rock and the Pirate ship in Fantasyland (although the other improvements makes it a wash, I still miss a water feature and nice place to eat in Fantasyland). The stores! The one of a kind antique shop, the fantasyland magic shop, the futuristic items in the tomorrowland stores. I miss the castle walk through, the pirate and bear country arcades with original games. I really miss the main street arcade and that the cinema played the great train robbery. I miss that the main street vehicles ran all day and the park was open till 2am. I miss the low-fat appearence of the cast members. I miss the hightened theme. I miss the mountain dew in the fort on Tom Sawyer's Island. I miss the "secret" escape tunnel. I miss the preview of comming attractions on Main Street. I don't much miss the parking lot, but I wish they had done something better with it.

I miss having dinner at the Big Thunder Ranch. With the funky metal plates, the honeyjar glasses, and the campfire it really felt like you were out in the wilderness.

I do miss the parking lot!!!! Well... a little bit. I do like DCA, but I still miss the parking lot. I also miss the Castle Walktrough... and the Main Street Christmas garland with it's Mickey Wreaths... hope they come back next year.
    I have a dream
    A song to sing
    To help me cope
    Trough everything

If you see the wonder
    of a FairyTale
    You can take the future
    even if you fail...

I believe in Angels
    Something good in everything I see
    I believe in Angels
    When I know the time is right for me...

I'll cross the stream.... I have a dream

• Waiting for the stork

I miss the walk thru as well....
    I miss the Country Bears (but I really kinda like the Pooh ride *ducks for cover*)
    I miss the people mover and the skyway. I really loved them.....
    I miss big Thunder BBQ (that was my favorite)

but even though I miss these things....I love Disneyland. I love everything about it. I wish I could go all the time, I don't think I would ever tire of it.... It's such a magical wonderful place to me.
    procrastibating

• Senior Minion

Though I missed this one by birth, I wish they would bring back:

"Disney after Dark" The Photos of Louis Armstrong on the Rivers of America, and many other artists are just phenomenal. Something to take a break and watch.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast