Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disney Art???

• Future Cast Member

Exclamation Disney Art???

I am in Independent Art Study at my school and I have 10 projects that I need to complete by December.
    The only problem is that I have no idea what I want to make! Obviously I would like Disney to be incorporated or be the main theme in my art, but I don't have too many ideas.
    I know at least one of my ideas is to make a oil crayon portrait of Mr. Walter Elias Disney himself but I need more ideas!

If anyone has an ideas on what I could do please let me know!
    I can use all different types of materials for these projects.

I am willing to any suggestions!
    And I'll post pictures of them when they are done

• Minion

Re: Disney Art???

If it isn't too difficult, I think the Mark Twain coming around the riverbend would make for a great painting.

You could do Sleeping Beauty Castle from the back, with the sun setting behind it. Umm... You could do a Mary Blair-esque painting with different shapes that give off the Small World vibe.

There is so much material to work with in Disneyland!

• Minion

Walt and all the classic characters(Oswald included)walking into dlr.is it good

---------- Post added 08-10-2011 at 03:05 PM ----------

The haunted mansion would be a nice painting too

• The Prince

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post

---------- Post added 08-10-2011 at 03:05 PM ----------

The haunted mansion would be a nice painting too
    I like that idea, that would be a great art project. You could also get an idea with the Haunted Mansion. Maybe paint a scene or a portrait of someone. Take some examples of those paintings they have in the hallway.

• Future Cast Member

Umm... You could do a Mary Blair-esque painting with different shapes that give off the Small World vibe.
    You could also get an idea with the Haunted Mansion. Maybe paint a scene or a portrait of someone. Take some examples of those paintings they have in the hallway.
    I love those ideas! Especially the Oswald one! I really like the Haunted Mansion too! The architecture and just the atmosphere of that ride is thrilling! Thanks for the ideas!

• Banned User

Ok. Part of "independent study" is, well independent ideas, creations, thoughts, etc. Since you: "The only problem is that I have no idea what I want to make!" I respectfully submit that maybe you should not be in an independent study art class? Just saying..........

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by michaeleisner View Post
    Ok. Part of "independent study" is, well independent ideas, creations, thoughts, etc. Since you: "The only problem is that I have no idea what I want to make!" I respectfully submit that maybe you should not be in an independent study art class? Just saying..........
    Uhmmm ouch? Rude. I have a million other ideas that aren't Disney but I want to focus everything on Disney. Quit trolling.

Can you do a collage? I think that would be cool if you had a lot of pictures of disneyland and cut colors from them and make a collage of something in the park.

michaeleisner, sometimes creativity can be blocked, that is when you use your resources around you for help to move past that block. Creativity is more than just on particular idea. It's a process...

• Banned User

"Uhmmm ouch? Rude"? Boy, kinda touchy? What I provided in my post was constructive criticism. I was posting from a corporate point of view. I noticed that you want to be a future cast member? If I was your lead, and I wanted you to do a project, I would expect you to do it and the results would be yours, along with the consequences. If I wanted a team to do a project, I would appoint a team. So; as your teacher, I want to see your own independent, individual projects. Not projects from other people, Yours. That way I can fully eveluate your potential, or lack of potential.

What about your own interpretation of characters and/or scenes from the original versions of the story? This way, you have the Disney touch, but also your own interpretation.

You need to do 10 projects right? Take this assignment then as if you were making a Disney art book or a complete portfolio. Take your top ten favorite movies and recreate the feeling of them in each painting. You dont have to make it literal with mouse ears and all. There are ways of creating original art based off other ideas. It should look like your interpretation and try to avoid just making a bunch of fan-art. Being able to copy characters and Disney images can show off skill in Technique, but not in your ability to think outside the box or show originality.
    Try to go into mood and feeling more than into a photo-realistic copy. If you want to make a portrait of WD himself, think of what you can do in your medium and technique choices to change a photo into something art-ful.

Maybe even think about places at the DLR that you have emotional ties to. For me it think of the lanterns in the Zocalo and how they light up at night, and images like the pink clear reflection of the castle on the moat. The white pinnacles on space mountain. To me these places all evoke feelings and i would want to document through art how they make me FEEL not exactly how they look.

Just think outside the mickey ears and castle, of other icons that scream disney and the magic behind it. To make it especially a strong compilation of work, make them work from one to another or make them show your progression as an artist through working on them.

best of luck!

• Blew By You

I'm not much of an artist but for my two cents, I think the Tiki Room attraction might make a good place to get ideas, especially the tiki gods.

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepless Knight View Post
    What about your own interpretation of characters and/or scenes from the original versions of the story? This way, you have the Disney touch, but also your own interpretation.
    That's a really good idea. I was thinking about recreating my favorite scenes from my favorite movies with my own perspective on how I see it.

---------- Post added 08-10-2011 at 10:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MochaCat View Post
    You need to do 10 projects right? Take this assignment then as if you were making a Disney art book or a complete portfolio. Take your top ten favorite movies and recreate the feeling of them in each painting. You dont have to make it literal with mouse ears and all. There are ways of creating original art based off other ideas. It should look like your interpretation and try to avoid just making a bunch of fan-art. Being able to copy characters and Disney images can show off skill in Technique, but not in your ability to think outside the box or show originality.
    Try to go into mood and feeling more than into a photo-realistic copy. If you want to make a portrait of WD himself, think of what you can do in your medium and technique choices to change a photo into something art-ful.

Maybe even think about places at the DLR that you have emotional ties to. For me it think of the lanterns in the Zocalo and how they light up at night, and images like the pink clear reflection of the castle on the moat. The white pinnacles on space mountain. To me these places all evoke feelings and i would want to document through art how they make me FEEL not exactly how they look.

Just think outside the mickey ears and castle, of other icons that scream disney and the magic behind it. To make it especially a strong compilation of work, make them work from one to another or make them show your progression as an artist through working on them.

best of luck!
    Wow those are a lot of good ideas! I'll definitely take this into consideration. I was also thinking of taking my favorite characters but paint them in an abstract kind of way. And I have a lot of emotional ties to many different places in the parks. Thanks so much!

---------- Post added 08-10-2011 at 10:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    I'm not much of an artist but for my two cents, I think the Tiki Room attraction might make a good place to get ideas, especially the tiki gods.
    The tiki gods are an awesome idea! They are detailed yet simple with their own personalities. With this idea I was thinking of bringing their personality to life with lots of colors to show their emotions and moods.
    Last edited by iheartdzny; 08-10-2011 at 09:52 PM.

• Minion

You've been given plenty of great ideas on here, but remember to post pictures when you're done! I'm sure many of us would love to see your work.

As for the other poster who was rude, forget it. If open brainstorming helps your creativity, there is no problem whatsoever in asking for a few suggestions. Good luck!

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by michaeleisner View Post
    "Uhmmm ouch? Rude"? Boy, kinda touchy? What I provided in my post was constructive criticism. I was posting from a corporate point of view. I noticed that you want to be a future cast member? If I was your lead, and I wanted you to do a project, I would expect you to do it and the results would be yours, along with the consequences. If I wanted a team to do a project, I would appoint a team. So; as your teacher, I want to see your own independent, individual projects. Not projects from other people, Yours. That way I can fully eveluate your potential, or lack of potential.
    Creativity doesn't just come from imagination, other inputs and ideas from other people also spark creativity. And it's different for different people. For me, I like to see what other people have to say, see what their ideas are, make them my own and add my own personality to my work. I'm not simply asking for ideas and taking them as they are; I'm not copying what they are saying. For you, your imagination must be your only input. Good for you. But for me it is different.

---------- Post added 08-10-2011 at 10:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    You've been given plenty of great ideas on here, but remember to post pictures when you're done! I'm sure many of us would love to see your work.

As for the other poster who was rude, forget it. If open brainstorming helps your creativity, there is no problem whatsoever in asking for a few suggestions. Good luck!
    Thanks for the support! I will definitely be posting my work on here along the way. Remember I won't be completely finished until December so it may be a while. I also have some other work that I have done over the summer that I will post later.

---------- Post added 08-10-2011 at 11:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jazziered View Post
    Can you do a collage? I think that would be cool if you had a lot of pictures of disneyland and cut colors from them and make a collage of something in the park.

michaeleisner, sometimes creativity can be blocked, that is when you use your resources around you for help to move past that block. Creativity is more than just on particular idea. It's a process...
    Thanks for the support Collages are a great idea! This idea just popped into my head just as you said that but a collage of all of the Disney rides or just very popular areas at DLR and then there's Oswald and the Blob from Epic Mickey using paint thinner on all of DLR!!!!! Or I could just paste a map of DLR on a piece of canvas or something and incorporate Oswald and the Blob!
    Oooh! My brain is fired up and brewing up a million ideas!
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast