Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Future Cast Member

Re: New Musical coming to DCA "based on animated feature"...

I hated that movie, I'd rather they have an actual classic, all those movies are great. I wish they'd bring back Snow White in the theater. I think even newer movies like Pocahontas or Beauty and the Beast are classics, I'd love to see those if not in the theater.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ChessurInWonderland View Post
    I hated that movie, I'd rather they have an actual classic, all those movies are great. I wish they'd bring back Snow White in the theater. I think even newer movies like Pocahontas or Beauty and the Beast are classics, I'd love to see those if not in the theater.
    You hated Tangled?!

• Future Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    You hated Tangled?!
    Yes, watch it in comparison to a classic. It's awful in comparison! They tried to change it way too much from a fairy tale, just like with Princess and the Frog, where they have to make the character have an attitude or otherwise alter and twist the story. Walt Disney only altered the fairy tales in small ways, and only to help the story transfer to movie form. I don't like how they completely changed Princess and the Frog (making the girl turn into a frog which changed the whole story) and Tangled (that just led nowhere and didn't even seem inspired by the original story).

I just don't get how someone could like it in comparison to the classics

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

the thing that has kept aladdin so popular and "full-housed", IMO, is the Genie! he keeps the show fresh and new. If they are able to something like that with Tangled or anything else, that would be fine.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• Disneyland freak!

Yes, watch it in comparison to a classic. It's awful in comparison! They tried to change it way too much from a fairy tale, just like with Princess and the Frog, where they have to make the character have an attitude or otherwise alter and twist the story. Walt Disney only altered the fairy tales in small ways, and only to help the story transfer to movie form. I don't like how they completely changed Princess and the Frog (making the girl turn into a frog which changed the whole story) and Tangled (that just led nowhere and didn't even seem inspired by the original story).

So, it's bad because, it's more original?

I'd like to see a tangled show in fantasyland and something older in the hyperion, for thematic purposes

• Minion

Interesting perception. I completely disagree :P haha

The Princess and the Frog, along with the beautiful animation, had some great musical numbers and character development. Honestly, I could care less that they strayed from the original tale, in both Princess and the Frog and Tangled.

Have you ever heard the original Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pochahontas, The Jungle Book, Hercules, or Mulan? You will quickly realize that the Disney versions of these stories are not even comparable to the original tales. I think the only similarities are the characters, to be honest.

The original tale of Rapunzel is a girl locked in her tower, a prince comes and climbs her hair, and they go get married. I think everyone can agree that if they had made this a film, it would be extremely boring and about 20 minutes long. Disney did a great job with the addition of new characters, a great villain, a beautiful environment, and a strong and compelling story.

In fact, I would consider Tangled and the Princess and the Frog more "classic" status than I would Lady and the Tramp, The Sword and the Stone, The Aristocats, Robin Hood, and the Rescuers.

• die hard disney fan !!

Upland,ca moving to the magical kingdom next year

tangled should go to fantasyland and Hercules /lion king or princess and the frog would be perfect for dca
    ~the lowcarb sensation~

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

I love Tangled. I really hope this is true (although Fantasyland theatre would be a better choice).

Oh and Walt Disney greatly changed his fairytale stories from their more traditional versions. That's the funny thing about old fairytales though, there's no REAL, TRUE story as they have been passed down across generations and cultures by oral tradition and storytelling. You did have some people who collected them and wrote them down and I guess these could be considered the "traditional and original" fairytales. You had Charles Perrault in France, The Grimm Brothers in Germany, and Hans Christian Andersen in Denmark. All fairytales are certain folk tale types and archetypes. Walt Disney's versions of classic story types like Snow White and Cinderella are VERY different from more "traditional" versions of the story. In essence, Walt Disney was in a way his own storyteller and the movies we see are HIS version of the stories. He's one of the biggest storytellers in American History. After he passed, his company took the role of taking old tale types and making them theirs. The Little Mermaid, Princess and the Frog, Tangled, and Beauty and the Beast are all Disney versions of traditional tales and are all vastly different than the more traditional oral stories. Tangled is just as close to Grimm's Rapunzel (which is actually a version of the French original, Rapunzel btw is folk tale type 310 "Maiden in the Locked Tower") as The Little Mermaid is to Andersen's Little Mermaid. Sorry for the little rant, took a great Children's Literature course that focused on fairy and folk tales with a wonderful professor last semester, loved it so much I'm taking the upper level course this semeser.

---------- Post added 08-10-2011 at 06:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Interesting perception. I completely disagree :P haha

Have you ever heard the original Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pochahontas, The Jungle Book, Hercules, or Mulan? You will quickly realize that the Disney versions of these stories are not even comparable to the original tales. I think the only similarities are the characters, to be honest.

The original tale of Rapunzel is a girl locked in her tower, a prince comes and climbs her hair, and they go get married. I think everyone can agree that if they had made this a film, it would be extremely boring and about 20 minutes long. Disney did a great job with the addition of new characters, a great villain, a beautiful environment, and a strong and compelling story.
    Exactly! All those movies are nowhere close to the more traditional and original versions of the stories. Haha and the real Rapunzel story is quite risque haha. She gets pregnant from her nightly male visitor lol just yeah Disney's version, like all Disney versions, is just more family friendly.
    Last edited by SoCalFan; 08-10-2011 at 06:04 PM.

• Future Cast Member

Yes, I acknowledged Walt Disney changed fairy tales, but he changed them for good, he didn't make them feel any less of fairy tales! Tangled and Princess and the Frog are missing that charm and mood that classic Disney fairy tales have.

I love Tangled and I love the classics. I think Tangled has stunning artwork and was a beautifully animated film. I loved the humor in the film and think that the "I See The Light" floating lanterns is every bit as beautiful as the "Once Upon A Dream" forest sequence and "Beauty and the Beast" ballroom dance sequence. On my Disney top 10 movie list, Tangled, Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King are the only films made after Walt's passing that make my list.

Disney has always made changes in the stories, beginning with the Silly Symphonies. Some of them are very different from the original story. It's not uncommon for the original story to have main characters dying only to see them live happily ever after in the Disney story.

As to whether or not a stage version of Tangled is coming to Anaheim anytime soon, I'm in the wait and see crowd. I still see Aladdin packing in the crowds.

• Minion

Yes, I acknowledged Walt Disney changed fairy tales, but he changed them for good, he didn't make them feel any less of fairy tales! Tangled and Princess and the Frog are missing that charm and mood that classic Disney fairy tales have.
    Again, I see more charm and mood in those 2 films than I do in some of the films Walt himself made.

The story of Rapunzel was changed for the good, in every sense of the word. They added a more in-depth storyline and introduced memorable characters. Along with some great songs ("I See the Light", "When Will My Life Begin", and "I've Got a Dream" specifically), I feel that Tangled is an excellent film. As I already stated, the message, animation, music, and story of Princess and the Frog are very good, adding to that original charm that is missing in a lot of films.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I've long wondered why they didn't just put Tarzan in the park since the professional musical flopped. Not my favorite movie, but at least it's something new.
    I really liked Tarzan Rocks at WDW and my friend did too who thought it was going to be as bad as the name sounded. Throw in the wire stunts from Spiderman Turn out the night, what could go wrong! But Tarzan could work at DCA.

I would like to see a rotation of shows at the Fantasyland Theater. Every year a new show. We already have a rotation of firework shows (Magical/Remember ....When Dreams Come True). If they used the slow period in Spring to change, advertise the new show as part of their Summer campaign.

They already have the hard stuff worked out (scripts, music, lighting cues, stage blocking, cast budget) for Pocahontas, Snow White, Animazment, Beauty & The Beast, and 2 Xmas shows.
    It wouldn't be too hard to get WDW's Tarzan Rocks or Finding Nemo - The Musical to perform in the facility (ignoring the complications of working with TDO), however the Lion King as it is in the parks (WDW & HK), uses a 'theater in the round' so they would have to significantly rework the blocking.

So there ya go, 7 shows and 2 more Xmas shows that are in the can. It really is just storage of the sets to be reused in rotation, and allocating the budget.
    Anyone know what the seating cap used to be before they took how seats for the Princess thing? Aladdin has 2K seats, if FLT can't pack them in, it wont get the big bucks. (WoC got more $$$$ based on a 9K cap viewing area)

• Banned User

As for Toy Story the musical...it was a horribly reviewed mess that was being shipped in from the cruise ships. And as others have said, the films have more than enough representation.

I thought the Nemo musical was okay, but nothing special. Honestly, I'm much happier that Anaheim has the blue genie as opposed to the big, blue world. When the time comes to retire Aladdin, Disney needs to hit a home run and I believe that's more likely to come from a new stage show than a clone.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I agree, that Tangled has Menken's weakest songs, too. And would much rather they ADD a show in the Fantasyland Theater, instead of removing Aladdin from the Hyperion! DL NEEDS a show, too.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast