Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• The Pumpkin King

Re: A blast from the past with the MSEP Farewell Season 1996 @ Disneyland Park!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazee4mm View Post
    The scope of the parade was diminished at DCA. The floats looked smaller. Disneyland is where that parade belongs.

Even though it was touted as "Glowing Away Forever", I will not begrudge Disney for going back on their initial statement. I was thrilled when I heard it was coming to DCA. I didn't sit back any whine that "Disney said it wasn't coming back". I was just happy to have the opportunity to see what had become an old friend again. The popularity of the parade remains unchallenged by millions of people and I think it belongs inside Disneyland where it can, once again, glow again at it's full potential.
    I agree with ya there Crazee4mm!

---------- Post added 08-11-2011 at 05:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Outstanding thread! Many thanks for sharing the videos. (And yeah, I still have plenty of boxes of MSEP light bulbs. $10 each at the time, IIRC.)
    You are welcome Mr Wiggins! Im glad you enjoyed I wish I had some of the light bulbs, oh well, still got my light up MSEP farewell button

• Disney friends are #1

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    I agree with ya there Crazee4mm!

---------- Post added 08-11-2011 at 05:03 PM ----------

You are welcome Mr Wiggins! Im glad you enjoyed I wish I had some of the light bulbs, oh well, still got my light up MSEP farewell button

White Bones, you and I are going to have to do a day at DL together. You really seem like someone I'd enjoy having Disney related conversations with. We seem to be on the same wavelength on a variety of subjects. Some of my best friends are ones that I met on MiceChat or at Disneyland. it's a good pool of people to choose from.

I don't have the light up button BUT I do still have the light up jacket ($375!)
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

• Traveler to the south

I have a lightbulb and I treasure it although the parade came back (kind of)!
    "Remember: when life gives you lemons, just be glad you're not a zebra."
    - Skipper Mike

• The Pumpkin King

White Bones, you and I are going to have to do a day at DL together. You really seem like someone I'd enjoy having Disney related conversations with. We seem to be on the same wavelength on a variety of subjects. Some of my best friends are ones that I met on MiceChat or at Disneyland. it's a good pool of people to choose from.

I don't have the light up button BUT I do still have the light up jacket ($375!)
    Once again, I agree. Except as of now, im in a postion where its kind of hard to get to the park, since my girlfriend and I do not drive. But with Micechat I get to talk about Disney and Disney Parks and other park realated stuff, thats why i like being part of this site, But if i were to talk to my friends outside of MiceChat could care less and would get annoyed if I talk to them about the stuff us MiceChatters talk about on here.

Wow! A light up jacket? Thats awesome. Wish I had one!

• (Not a) New User

I was there! I was only a year and a half old, so I don't remember it, but I was there! :P I do remember watching it as we passed through Fantasyland on the Monorail. That's all I remember, and I'm surprised I remember that much. We do have a light bulb somewhere... I really want to find it. Maybe we can take it out and use it in our electrical parade (see sig) :P

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyKid1994 View Post
    I was there! I was only a year and a half old, so I don't remember it, but I was there! :P I do remember watching it as we passed through Fantasyland on the Monorail. That's all I remember, and I'm surprised I remember that much. We do have a light bulb somewhere... I really want to find it. Maybe we can take it out and use it in our electrical parade (see sig) :P
    Nice!

• Disney friends are #1

[QUOTE=White Bones;1056601756]Once again, I agree. Except as of now, im in a postion where its kind of hard to get to the park, since my girlfriend and I do not drive. But with Micechat I get to talk about Disney and Disney Parks and other park realated stuff, thats why i like being part of this site, But if i were to talk to my friends outside of MiceChat could care less and would get annoyed if I talk to them about the stuff us MiceChatters talk about on here.QUOTE]

That's why we're called a community. I have done a few meets (on Sundays) and the people have been nothing short of warm and inviting. We share a common love of Walt and the gifts he has left behind for all of us to enjoy. My life would have been so different had Walt never have existed. I feel more at home walking doen Main Street than I do in my own town.

And yes, I know what it is like to bring up something Disney related in a conversation with my "normal" friends who just sit there, eyes glazeed over with indifference. How could they NOT care that the fireball effects are no longer working on the castle during the fireworks shows? How can they NOT care about a surprisingly filthy parking structure at the DL Resort? How can they NOT care about an Electrical Parade whose time has probably passed (but is still very much beloved by many...including myself)? How can they NOT care...darn it?

To me, The Electrical Parade is the epitome of Disney Magic. It was there when I was growing up and it was what I looked forward to the most when my family would plan on our once-a-year visit. At DCA, the parade always felt out of place. The floats appeared small on the "Performance Corridor", and the changing "lands" thaat the parade passed through made it look out-of-place for much of it's route. At Disneyland, it was always larger than life. The intimacy of the parade route meant that you sat close to the floats and the music filled every nook and cranny. At DCA, you have obvious speaker towers that are not integrated into the surroundings so you have good soundfields and bad ones. At Disneyland you interacted with it. At DCA, you "watched" it. That's why I previously wrote that I want it to be retuned to Disneyland, not just to the resort.

And I'm sorry to hear of your inability to travel to DL more frequently. I know that you'd like to be there more often. You are a welcome addition to our community (nearly 1,200 posts since Fefruary! THAT'S devotion!) and I hope that your transportation situuation improves soon. I really would like to meet you some day. Your opinions and heartfelt sense of nostalgie (hence, this thread) are also very enjoyable. Your range of interests goes from dirty parking structures (that you can't currently travel to) to an old school Electrical Parade. I think you'll fit in here just fine. I also hope that your girlfriend is also a Disney fan. I know that I have had long, like minded conversations with some select loved ones in my life who have confirmed to me that I'm not crazy for enjoying Disney (and theme parks in general) and they have said that I am probably a better person in their lives for it. I have never smoked, drank, or done drugs HOWEVER, my "vice" of choice has always been theme parks. I think my parents are still waiting for me to "grow out of it". Sorry mom, It ain't gonna happen!
    Last edited by Crazee4mm; 08-11-2011 at 09:18 PM.
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

• Senior Minion

To me, The Electrical Parade is the epitome of Disney Magic. It was there when I was growing up and it was what I looked forward to the most when my family would plan on our once-a-year visit. At DCA, the parade always felt out of place. The floats appeared small on the "Performance Corridor", and the changing "lands" thaat the parade passed through made it look out-of-place for much of it's route. At Disneyland, it was always larger than life. The intimacy of the parade route meant that you sat close to the floats and the music filled every nook and cranny. At DCA, you have obvious speaker towers that are not integrated into the surroundings so you have good soundfields and bad ones. At Disneyland you interacted with it. At DCA, you "watched" it. That's why I previously wrote that I want it to be retuned to Disneyland, not just to the resort.
    Man o man does that post ever hit dead on target why the MSEP always seemed to have so much of its goosebump-making magic removed when it was at DCA! The part I highlighted especially is a major bingo. Very well said!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Former Churro Jockey

That was actually the summer that I hired into Disneyland. I worked nights on the popcorn wagon at the hub the entire summer. Holy crap was it crowded. I spent most of the parade trying keep people out of the tree behind my wagon, who were climbing it to try and watch the parade because there was no where else. I was there the Saturday before the final performance when they set a new attendance record. And I still have my farewell season nametag. It might be worth a little money, but I'm holding onto it for now. Although it was chaos, it was a special summer that I'm always going to remember. I also remember the big *** sign as you leave Main Street that advertised this amazing new parade coming next summer called Light Magic. I told so many people who were upset about the electrical parade leaving to just wait until next summer and they'd be blown away when Light Magic came out. Whoops. I'd like to take this oppertunity now to apologize to all of those people...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• The Pumpkin King

[QUOTE=Crazee4mm;1056602000]
    Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    Once again, I agree. Except as of now, im in a postion where its kind of hard to get to the park, since my girlfriend and I do not drive. But with Micechat I get to talk about Disney and Disney Parks and other park realated stuff, thats why i like being part of this site, But if i were to talk to my friends outside of MiceChat could care less and would get annoyed if I talk to them about the stuff us MiceChatters talk about on here.QUOTE]

That's why we're called a community. I have done a few meets (on Sundays) and the people have been nothing short of warm and inviting. We share a common love of Walt and the gifts he has left behind for all of us to enjoy. My life would have been so different had Walt never have existed. I feel more at home walking doen Main Street than I do in my own town
    Me too!

And yes, I know what it is like to bring up something Disney related in a conversation with my "normal" friends who just sit there, eyes glazeed over with indifference. How could they NOT care that the fireball effects are no longer working on the castle during the fireworks shows? How can they NOT care about a surprisingly filthy parking structure at the DL Resort? How can they NOT care about an Electrical Parade whose time has probably passed (but is still very much beloved by many...including myself)? How can they NOT care...darn it?
    I know right?

I totally agree.

And I'm sorry to hear of your inability to travel to DL more frequently. I know that you'd like to be there more often. You are a welcome addition to our community (nearly 1,200 posts since Fefruary! THAT'S devotion!) and I hope that your transportation situuation improves soon. I really would like to meet you some day. Your opinions and heartfelt sense of nostalgie (hence, this thread) are also very enjoyable. Your range of interests goes from dirty parking structures (that you can't currently travel to) to an old school Electrical Parade. I think you'll fit in here just fine. I also hope that your girlfriend is also a Disney fan. I know that I have had long, like minded conversations with some select loved ones in my life who have confirmed to me that I'm not crazy for enjoying Disney (and theme parks in general) and they have said that I am probably a better person in their lives for it. I have never smoked, drank, or done drugs HOWEVER, my "vice" of choice has always been theme parks. I think my parents are still waiting for me to "grow out of it". Sorry mom, It ain't gonna happen!
    I have a Deluxe AP though. But the thing is if I go, then my mom, my 3 year old brother, and my girlfriend (if shes here when we go) would go with me. I just graduated High School June of this year as a super senior, so im 19. My mom is the only one who can drive, so I have no choice but to go when we all can go. I live about an hour away depending on traffic. I could take the train, but I would need money to buy a two way ticket, and we have been struggling with money. I would get a job so we can get more money, but I watch my little brother while my mom works mon-friday. So my situation is a bit difficult. I would like to go sometime this month, if not then I REALLY want to go to Mickey's Halloween Party at least. Doesnt matter if I am only there for the party, would like to take my little brother

Thanks Crazee4mm! I too would like to meet you and other MiceChatters. My girlfriend is a Disney fan, but not big enough to be so into it like we are, lol. I love being able to share stuff that have been at Disneyland, and talk about our experiance, its really fun.

Haha yup, I'm the same way!

---------- Post added 08-11-2011 at 11:51 PM ----------

Dang, hmm. I still need to work on the quotes, lol

---------- Post added 08-11-2011 at 11:52 PM ----------

Man o man does that post ever hit dead on target why the MSEP always seemed to have so much of its goosebump-making magic removed when it was at DCA! The part I highlighted especially is a major bingo. Very well said!
    I agree

---------- Post added 08-11-2011 at 11:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dscherer View Post
    That was actually the summer that I hired into Disneyland. I worked nights on the popcorn wagon at the hub the entire summer. Holy crap was it crowded. I spent most of the parade trying keep people out of the tree behind my wagon, who were climbing it to try and watch the parade because there was no where else. I was there the Saturday before the final performance when they set a new attendance record. And I still have my farewell season nametag. It might be worth a little money, but I'm holding onto it for now. Although it was chaos, it was a special summer that I'm always going to remember. I also remember the big *** sign as you leave Main Street that advertised this amazing new parade coming next summer called Light Magic. I told so many people who were upset about the electrical parade leaving to just wait until next summer and they'd be blown away when Light Magic came out. Whoops. I'd like to take this oppertunity now to apologize to all of those people...
    Darn

• Disney friends are #1

Quote Originally Posted by dscherer View Post
    Don't apologize. We were all fooled by that one. I was sooo looking forward to Light Magic. I was at the passholder preview the night it premiered and I was crushed at just how bad it was. I didn't demand my money back, but I did witness the long lines of people at City Hall demanding theirs. During that summer I remember sitting on the curb on Main Street (with various friends whom had never seen it) and noticing that there were no 'standing" guests. Everyone fit, single file, on the curbside. After word spread of it's awfulness (no disrespect to any of the performers involved) there simply was no demand from the public to see it.

There were only 2 "show stops". Main Street and the Small World Plaza and the crowds at those two locations was STILL small! I also remember that the "Streetacular" would sit in almost total darkness on the parade route between the Tea Cups and the Castle between show stops for about 15 minutes so that the confetti could be blown off the floats. The music was forgettable (although I still have a CD of the complete soundtrack) and the costumes grotesque (although that changed over time as well). It was just a horrible period in Disney entertainment history. I think it's funny that Disney has basically deleted any mention of this parade from official Disney Park books and various other publications. It's like Disney wants us to forget that it ever even happened. BUT...I have a refrigerator magnet for this parade (got it on the passholder preview night) that shows that it DID happen. You can't rewrite history, Disney.

And maybe it is I, who should be apologizing to you "dscherer", as you probably chased me from that tree more than once. Alas, we meet again!
    Last edited by Crazee4mm; 08-13-2011 at 11:11 PM.

• Former Churro Jockey

As bad as Light Magic was, having the armies of custodial people with there extremely loud vaccum cleaners go down the parade route afterward to clean up all the confetti and shatter any and all sense of being transported to another place was worse. But thankfully they realized their mistake and moved on.

Well, since that tree is gone now I guess we can be friends...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Disney friends are #1

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    As bad as Light Magic was, having the armies of custodial people with there extremely loud vaccum cleaners go down the parade route afterward to clean up all the confetti and shatter any and all sense of being transported to another place was worse. But thankfully they realized their mistake and moved on.

Well, since that tree is gone now I guess we can be friends...

Friends it is! I too remember that "army of custodians" with their leaf blowers and vacuum cleaners. The leaf blowing custodians would blow confetti (and "party streamers") out of the trees, off awnings, off rooftops and window sills. They'd come swinging down from the rooftops with mountain climbing ropes like some sort of S.W.A.T. team blowing the confetti onto the ground where the vacuum cleaner custodians would zoom by and, rather poorly, suck it up before it could get away. Still, during that summer, there was traces of residual confetti everywhere on Main Street and around the Small World plaza.. I too was happy when this litterbug of a "Streetacular" rode off into the sunset for the last time.

• Senior Minion

Light Tragic gave me bad dreams. Literally. It was visually scary.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• The Pumpkin King

Light Tragic gave me bad dreams. Literally. It was visually scary.
    Light tragic? Lol You talking about the new light parade?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast