Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Disney friends are #1

Re: A blast from the past with the MSEP Farewell Season 1996 @ Disneyland Park!

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    Light tragic? Lol You talking about the new light parade?
    Light Magic was the awful parade (though technically superior) "Streetacular" that replaced MSEP the summer after MSEP finished. It was a nighttime parade and only consisted of 4 very similar stage floats that made "show stops" on Main Street and in the Small World Plaza. The obviously expensive parade lasted only one summer. It was such a black eye for Disney that they don't even acknowledge it even existed anymore. Some of my posts above (#26 & #28) describe what it was like and there are even a few YouTube vids for you to look up as well.
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Crazee4mm View Post
    Light Magic was the awful parade (though technically superior) "Streetacular" that replaced MSEP the summer after MSEP finished. It was a nighttime parade and only consisted of 4 very similar stage floats that made "show stops" on Main Street and in the Small World Plaza. The obviously expensive parade lasted only one summer. It was such a black eye for Disney that they don't even acknowledge it even existed anymore. Some of my posts above (#26 & #28) describe what it was like and there are even a few YouTube vids for you to look up as well.
    Aahh, thought as much it was Light Magic. Sounds like it was an awful parade.

Just saw it on youtube, and my thoughts in my head, "Wtf?". I really did not like how the parade just stopped either. I didnt even watch every part. I just kept skipping through the video and all I saw was....dont even know which word to use!
    Last edited by White Bones; 08-15-2011 at 10:58 AM.

• Disney friends are #1

I'm sitting here at White Water Snacks (Inside the Grand Californian), checking my emails and YOU pop up. Even when I'm playing at Disneyland (DCA), I can't avoid you! It's a little warm down here and I LOVE this little, low key, eaterie. Great air conditioning. Anyway, I'll go back to playing and you go back to babysitting your sister. One of these days we'll meet. I'm sure of it. Until then, enjoy the day.
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

• The Pumpkin King

I'm sitting here at White Water Snacks (Inside the Grand Californian), checking my emails and YOU pop up. Even when I'm playing at Disneyland (DCA), I can't avoid you! It's a little warm down here and I LOVE this little, low key, eaterie. Great air conditioning. Anyway, I'll go back to playing and you go back to babysitting your sister. One of these days we'll meet. I'm sure of it. Until then, enjoy the day.
    Lol, love that "and YOU pop up".

Brother actually

Yeah we will, one day. Alright you enjoy your day too

• Disney friends are #1

Lol, love that "and YOU pop up".

Brother actually
    Alright, "brother" (I should know that by now). Btw, the Mickey & Friends still looked horrible this morning. No sign of the steam cleaning we read about on that "other" thread last week. I'm going to be the LAST one out of the park tonight and I'm going to count the "diaper bombs" on the way back to my truck.

Amyway, back on topic...Loved MSEP, hated Light Magic. See ya! Time to cross the galaxy with C-3P0. I hear they're waiting for me. .

And yeah...YOU POPPED UP!

• The Pumpkin King

Alright, "brother" (I should know that by now). Btw, the Mickey & Friends still looked horrible this morning. No sign of the steam cleaning we read about on that "other" thread last week. I'm going to be the LAST one out of the park tonight and I'm going to count the "diaper bombs" on the way back to my truck.

Amyway, back on topic...Loved MSEP, hated Light Magic. See ya! Time to cross the galaxy with C-3P0. I hear they're waiting for me. .

And yeah...YOU POPPED UP!
    Sucks to hear that the Mickey and Friends is still a mess. I agree with you on this one aswell. Lol, have fun!

Some mementos

MSEP

Speaking of Light Magic. Its too bad that Disney removed the thousands of fiber optics they installed on Main Street and Small World Mall so they could put them to use for other parades or events. But I guess that it left such a sour taste in their mouths that they wanted to eliminate all traces of this production.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by GeeVee View Post
    Some mementos

MSEP

Speaking of Light Magic. Its too bad that Disney removed the thousands of fiber optics they installed on Main Street and Small World Mall so they could put them to use for other parades or events. But I guess that it left such a sour taste in their mouths that they wanted to eliminate all traces of this production.
    Cool pictures, thanks for posting them

• Senior Minion

Aahh, thought as much it was Light Magic. Sounds like it was an awful parade.

Just saw it on youtube, and my thoughts in my head, "Wtf?". I really did not like how the parade just stopped either. I didnt even watch every part. I just kept skipping through the video and all I saw was....dont even know which word to use!
    I found that the words would naturally come to you (none repeatable here) when you were sitting on the curb and one of those Fright Tragic stages stopped in front of you, looming high above you and crawling with prancing Fairies in freakish costumes. It wasn't just the in-your-face, self consciously slick, Stephen King-meets-Mary Blair execution, but the sensibility behind it: a cynical celebration of smug sophistication. An overdressed, overthought, overwrought entertainment that galumphed through Disneyland disconnected from the Park's scale, heritage and purpose. A parade that proclaimed in every line, form, color and sound, "Hey, Rubes! We're Not Disney, and Damn Proud Of It!"
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-15-2011 at 05:21 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Former Churro Jockey

Does anyone know if those LM floats are still around somewhere? The last I heard was that since they cost so much money to make ($26M was the number that we cast members heard) that they wanted to try and reuse them for something. Are they around at all? Did they at least get cannabalized for other things?
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Banned User

Light Magic also brought those wretched lighting towers that clutter the park. Disgusting and hideous those towers are.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ice101 View Post
    Light Magic also brought those wretched lighting towers that clutter the park. Disgusting and hideous those towers are.
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Does anyone know if those LM floats are still around somewhere? The last I heard was that since they cost so much money to make ($26M was the number that we cast members heard) that they wanted to try and reuse them for something.
    Speaking of Cast Members, even those of us who were the most outraged at Light Magic made it clear then (and do so again now) that our criticism was not at the performers. They were talented people who truly gave it their all. Our issue was with the Entertainment honchos who dreamed up and produced that nightmare.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I found that the words would naturally come to you (none repeatable here) when you were sitting on the curb and one of those Fright Tragic stages stopped in front of you, looming high above you and crawling with prancing Fairies in freakish costumes. It wasn't just the in-your-face, self consciously slick, Stephen King-meets-Mary Blair execution, but the sensibility behind it: a cynical celebration of smug sophistication. An overdressed, overthought, overwrought entertainment that galumphed through Disneyland disconnected from the Park's scale, heritage and purpose. A parade that proclaimed in every line, form, color and sound, "Hey, Rubes! We're Not Disney, and Damn Proud Of It!"
    I guess I would have to see it in person or actually watch the whole thing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123