Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• The Pumpkin King

Talking A blast from the past with the MSEP Farewell Season 1996 @ Disneyland Park!

Hey MiceChatters! Just wanted to share this with all of you, especially those of you who have been here to see it at Disneyland Park! Those of you who have never seen it, I hope you enjoy All of you MiceChatters who have been there to see it, I hope you all have the MSEP Farewell Season 1972 - 1996 button!

So every mouse up in this house.....enjoy!

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaPiKRzvuwY

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAOtver7PRQ

Note: Watch the end credits, it has really cool facts about the MSEP parade
    Last edited by White Bones; 08-11-2011 at 09:25 AM.

• The Prince

Re: A blast from the past with the MSEP Farewell Season 1996 @ Disneyland Park!

White Bones you're awesome! Thank you for posting this, I remember those years and how sad I was to see MSEP go. Brings back great memories!

• Banned User

I was there as well. Bittersweet times for sure

• Disney friends are #1

I remember during the final weeks of MSEP's run at DL, they started running the parade 3 times a night! It was so beloved! I remember one evening just sitting on the curb in front of the Penny Arcade, watching the 8:25 performance, then walking into the street to see the Fantasy In The Sky Fireworks show. Walking back to the curb to "people watch" for about 30 minutes until the parade came back in the opposite direction. Then, around 11:30, they'd run it again (often some of the floats would start to get dim before they disappeared beside The Opera House). To this day I get goose bumps when the music starts and the lights go out.

I soooo want the parade to come back to DLR. More specifically, DISNEYLAND! In a few years I'll be 50 and there is NOTHING that takes me back to my younger days more completely than when I'm waiting for that wonderful parade to start. I even remember when they'd announce on Main Street that the parade had just "stepped off" at It's A Small World and would be arriving on Main Street in "very soon" (The same announcement was made in the Small World area when it "stepped off" at Town Square for the second performance of the evening). The excitement was palpable. I'd strain my eyes looking up Main Street to see when the lights "dimmed" in the Hub. And when they did, you KNEW it was just around the corner and you were next. I have seen it EVERY TIME the opportunity has afforded. I stopped counting my "viewings" at 300...and that was over a decade ago!

Alas, I no longer seem to be able to find my Farewell Season button. I do, however still have the VHS tape that Disneyland made of a complete performance as well as containing some behind-the-scenes footage. It was "hosted" by Cinderella who interviewed the parade director inside the Parade Warehouse. It was very informative. If only Disneyland would transfer their professionally made "MSEP: Farewell Season", "The Lion King Celebration", and "Christmas at Disneyland" VHS releases to DVD/Blu-Ray, I would be soooo happy. All 3 of my tapes (bought at DL) are certainly showing wear as I have probably viewed each of them over 100 times over the years. Memories...
    Last edited by Crazee4mm; 08-11-2011 at 04:36 AM.
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

• Hooterville, USA

A little FYI about the MSEP coming to a close, people flocked to DL in record numbers and caused the 5 freeway to jam up. That's back when you entered DL off of Harbor. They ended up turning away people because the park was full, yet they still did away with MSEP.

I just shake my head when I think back to those days.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Moonwalker View Post
    White Bones you're awesome! Thank you for posting this, I remember those years and how sad I was to see MSEP go. Brings back great memories!
    Lol thank you Moonwalker! and you are welcome. I was mad when they took it away from Disneyland.

---------- Post added 08-11-2011 at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I was there as well. Bittersweet times for sure
    Indeed.

---------- Post added 08-11-2011 at 10:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Crazee4mm View Post
    I remember during the final weeks of MSEP's run at DL, they started running the parade 3 times a night! It was so beloved! I remember one evening just sitting on the curb in front of the Penny Arcade, watching the 8:25 performance, then walking into the street to see the Fantasy In The Sky Fireworks show. Walking back to the curb to "people watch" for about 30 minutes until the parade came back in the opposite direction. Then, around 11:30, they'd run it again (often some of the floats would start to get dim before they disappeared beside The Opera House). To this day I get goose bumps when the music starts and the lights go out.

I soooo want the parade to come back to DLR. More specifically, DISNEYLAND! In a few years I'll be 50 and there is NOTHING that takes me back to my younger days more completely than when I'm waiting for that wonderful parade to start. I even remember when they'd announce on Main Street that the parade had just "stepped off" at It's A Small World and would be arriving on Main Street in "very soon" (The same announcement was made in the Small World area when it "stepped off" at Town Square for the second performance of the evening). The excitement was palpable. I'd strain my eyes looking up Main Street to see when the lights "dimmed" in the Hub. And when they did, you KNEW it was just around the corner and you were next. I have seen it EVERY TIME the opportunity has afforded. I stopped counting my "viewings" at 300...and that was over a decade ago!

Alas, I no longer seem to be able to find my Farewell Season button. I do, however still have the VHS tape that Disneyland made of a complete performance as well as containing some behind-the-scenes footage. It was "hosted" by Cinderella who interviewed the parade director inside the Parade Warehouse. It was very informative. If only Disneyland would transfer their professionally made "MSEP: Farewell Season", "The Lion King Celebration", and "Christmas at Disneyland" VHS releases to DVD/Blu-Ray, I would be soooo happy. All 3 of my tapes (bought at DL) are certainly showing wear as I have probably viewed each of them over 100 times over the years. Memories...
    Loved the story Crazee4mm! I forgot that they even ran it more than once a night, but then again I was only 6 years old :P I used to be scared of the snails that would come up to you and shake thier head at you, lmao! I too have this on VHS still, its very imformiative

---------- Post added 08-11-2011 at 10:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    A little FYI about the MSEP coming to a close, people flocked to DL in record numbers and caused the 5 freeway to jam up. That's back when you entered DL off of Harbor. They ended up turning away people because the park was full, yet they still did away with MSEP.

I just shake my head when I think back to those days.
    Really? Wow! And they still got rid of it when people made the park full max to see the parade, sad, very sad

• Ambassador of good will

I remember I bought one of those light bulbs that came off one of the floats. I must have been crazy. It was like $30 for a light bulb. I thought I had a piece of history, until they brought it back

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Daboltz View Post
    I remember I bought one of those light bulbs that came off one of the floats. I must have been crazy. It was like $30 for a light bulb. I thought I had a piece of history, until they brought it back
    You bought one of the light bulbs?

• Banned User

PROOF: The Main Street Electrical Parade left Disneyland forever! May the tired old parade never come back from the grave!

• Ambassador of good will

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    sad to say,but yes.
    I gave it away as a white elephant gift last year

• Minion

Thanks so much for the link! I bought this VHS when I was a very young kid. Who knew at that time that I'd actually be in this parade during high school and college at DCA. Glad to have been part of the magic.
    Jeff Wayne

• Disney friends are #1

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    I bought a few of those light bulbs too. They broke down one or two of the floats and took all the light bulbs off to sell as a memorium, with the proceeds donated the The Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Wherever the parade has performed has proven to be extremely popular. I have friends who went to WDW last month and they told me that when they came out of the Hall of Presidents that they exited onto a street that was gridlocked with people watching the parade. So, even though I'm jealous that WDW has "our" parade at the moment, I'm glad that it is being appreciated by large numbers of fans.
    One Special Friend is All it Takes to Get You Through a Bad Day. And One Good One is Better Than a Dozen Casual Ones

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by Ice101 View Post
    PROOF: The Main Street Electrical Parade left Disneyland forever! May the tired old parade never come back from the grave!
    Lol, I knew i'd see you here Ice101, lol.

---------- Post added 08-11-2011 at 04:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    Thanks so much for the link! I bought this VHS when I was a very young kid. Who knew at that time that I'd actually be in this parade during high school and college at DCA. Glad to have been part of the magic.
    Your welcome! I still have the VHS Last I seen the parade was in DCA.

---------- Post added 08-11-2011 at 04:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Crazee4mm View Post
    I bought a few of those light bulbs too. They broke down one or two of the floats and took all the light bulbs off to sell as a memorium, with the proceeds donated the The Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Wherever the parade has performed has proven to be extremely popular. I have friends who went to WDW last month and they told me that when they came out of the Hall of Presidents that they exited onto a street that was gridlocked with people watching the parade. So, even though I'm jealous that WDW has "our" parade at the moment, I'm glad that it is being appreciated by large numbers of fans.
    Thats cool, I did not know u could buy them. I would have Wow! I too am glad to hear "our" parade is doing so well and still being loved by everyone

• Disney friends are #1

The scope of the parade was diminished at DCA. The floats looked smaller. Disneyland is where that parade belongs.

Even though it was touted as "Glowing Away Forever", I will not begrudge Disney for going back on their initial statement. I was thrilled when I heard it was coming to DCA. I didn't sit back any whine that "Disney said it wasn't coming back". I was just happy to have the opportunity to see what had become an old friend again. The popularity of the parade remains unchallenged by millions of people and I think it belongs inside Disneyland where it can, once again, glow again at it's full potential.

• Senior Minion

Outstanding thread! Many thanks for sharing the videos. (And yeah, I still have plenty of boxes of MSEP light bulbs. $10 each at the time, IIRC.)
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast