Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Class of ...???

• A Pirate's life for me!

Class of ...???

The Class of 2005 (or 2002, or whatever) on CM's nametags. Is that the year that they were hired? Or does it represent something else. I know that it is not high school or college dates, since we've seen older CM's with recent years on them.

Just wondering...

I started noticing them this past week while at the Parks, and was surprised at how many were dated 2005. If it is related to the hiring date, there are a LOT of new-hires working the Parks. I recall that the oldest date was 1996 (that I was able to see).

Thanks!

• Closed Account

Re: Class of ...???

Usually that's what it is. You can thank most of the class of 2005s on PRESENTEEISM!

There are still a couple CMs at DLR who have been there for 20-30 years, though

• Cast Member

Class of XXXX is the hire year. I believe 1956 is the oldest Class date on a nametag that still works at the park. Chances of guest seeing this person is rare. It belongs to Oscar and he works in one of the kitchens in the park. I used to see him around the Plaza Inn or at the Inn Between. It was meant to be a different type of conversation starter for the 50th.

• Certified in everything

Its not just the year they started working, its the year that they graduated "Traditions", the Disney course that you have to take before working there.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Roar!

Quote Originally Posted by NavyCopSB
    Class of XXXX is the hire year. I believe 1956 is the oldest Class date on a nametag that still works at the park. Chances of guest seeing this person is rare. It belongs to Oscar and he works in one of the kitchens in the park. I used to see him around the Plaza Inn or at the Inn Between. It was meant to be a different type of conversation starter for the 50th.
    Oscar's usually backstage at Carnation Cafe
    Last edited by matterhornmaniac; 12-06-2005 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyCopSB

This is my wife and son with Oscar on July 17, 2005. It was at Carnation Cafe.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

I remember Oscar! When my boyfriend and I ate breakfast at Carnation Cafe, he came around and asked us how we were doing and how the food was...I think we ordered Oscar's Special or something that that, and it was excellent! Anyway....back on topic...kind of...what exactly is "Traditions"?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

There was a woman in ToT that had one on that said class of 1970. She was one of the oldest ones I had seen.

I did not mean that as a put-down. I meant the pin. She was young and spry looking.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Dont make me unfriend you

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine
    Anyway....back on topic...kind of...what exactly is "Traditions"?
    Traditions is a Orientation that all new CM's go through. I went through in 92.
    So, I can only say what they used to do...not how it is today but I was wondering if it has changed any.

They used to take place on Saturdays and Sundays. Dress was "professional"(suits for the guys). You got your name Badge, ID card. They talked about the history of DL and Disney. Some other products that Disney owns. They teach the "two finger point" basic guest relations stuff. Basic crap like that.

Then you take a tour of the park, both on stage and off. They explain the "threater symbolism" of the front gates and outer lobby before Main Street. Show the fake candy smell by the candy shop, the names are credits on the windows, other stuff like like. Also, showed where locker rooms were, where to clock in. ect

Then we had a boxed lunch. Then we took a second tour, but for the second tour, you only went with people from who would be working in your department. On this tour, they took us to see where the department office was, and some different things you would need just for your department.

The whole Taditions class took about 8 hours, if I remember correctly.

In how, that is how it was done, "back in the day".

• The Fantasyland guy

I saw lots of "class of 2005" before PRESENTEEISM went into effect. I think this is normal.

In fact, I think that presenteeism should make the older generation more noticable. All the new hires might get fired as compared to the oldies who know exactly what they are doing and have showed up on time for 20+ years. They wont get fired.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Thanks everyone!

Next visit to the Park, I will keep my eyes open for the older ones to see how far back I can get. Maybe I'll even order an Oscar Special for breakfast!

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Yup... it's the year of the current tenure's hire date.

Currently mine says 2005 because I'm a rehire this year in May... but my original hire date is 1994 (which I'm still trying to get a nametag of). I think it's stupid that they don't at least take into account your prior service when it comes to the "Class of..." designation.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

i think its so cool that they have those name tags with their year

• Roar!

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240
    Traditions is a Orientation that all new CM's go through. I went through in 92.
    So, I can only say what they used to do...not how it is today but I was wondering if it has changed any.

They used to take place on Saturdays and Sundays. Dress was "professional"(suits for the guys). You got your name Badge, ID card. They talked about the history of DL and Disney. Some other products that Disney owns. They teach the "two finger point" basic guest relations stuff. Basic crap like that.

Then you take a tour of the park, both on stage and off. They explain the "threater symbolism" of the front gates and outer lobby before Main Street. Show the fake candy smell by the candy shop, the names are credits on the windows, other stuff like like. Also, showed where locker rooms were, where to clock in. ect

Then we had a boxed lunch. Then we took a second tour, but for the second tour, you only went with people from who would be working in your department. On this tour, they took us to see where the department office was, and some different things you would need just for your department.

The whole Taditions class took about 8 hours, if I remember correctly.

In how, that is how it was done, "back in the day".
    it's still the same

• Cast Member

Except for the box lunch part. We had cards that looked like park admission passes that were good for $10 at which ever StarzDiner your group was scheduled to go.

And the workcenter orientation was another day they called line of business. After the tour of the park there was some team building exercises and guest interaction role playing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast