Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Alone

Going Alone

have you ever gone alone to the Disneyland parks? Not a friend, not a relative but YOU

Im curious to hear peoples stories. I just moved here july 5 and it seems my sister is NOT interested in going as often as i am. So i was wondering what is it like for a single person to go alone. my experience will be one of greatness im sure,or at least i Hope lol

• The Legend Ends

Re: Going Alone

sometimes it is just nice to sit and soak up the atmosphere of the land.
    I believe in Sherlock Holmes, Moriarty was real.

Yes. You do what you want when you want, not stopping every three minutes for a food/bathroom break, etc. You just stroll around and enjoy the little things. The best part: single rider lines.

• The Legend Ends

^exactly
    I believe in Sherlock Holmes, Moriarty was real.

oh they have single rider lines, i mean i knew that lol, but all the rides or just some?

I know once i tell her im getting a pass for sure she might get a lesser one but who knows

• Future Cast Member

I used to go every day while my mom worked in the park from age 12-14 and I loved it, I gained a lot of independence from it and I also liked that I could do whatever without stopping for what someone else wanted to do. One of my favorite parts was being able to not have to put up with others in my group getting tired, and I could wear myself out. I'd stay until after closing when my mom got off work, and I would go from Tomorrowland to Critter Country to Paradise Pier to Toontown, just for the sake of it, and I loved it, because I still never got tired and there wasn't that complaining about walking too much and having to do the things in the current area. Whatever attraction I felt like going on, I went on.

It's nice going with family and friends, too, but sometimes it's nice to get to go by yourself. I'd go with my family on weekends and then weekday nights or weekend nights after the rest of my family went home I'd get to go by myself, which was perfect because I was able to go to Disneyland a lot and share it with family or just myself.

• Banned User

Never have myself, never have an urge to. Half the fun of Disneyland for me is sharing it with someone.. whether it's my family, friends, a gf, etc. When I wanna be alone, I chill at home, play games, read a book. Disneyland is a social activity for me. Plus it seems like whenever I go people defer to me as to what to do next anyway, so even in a group I get to go at my own pace lol

Basically what everyone else said. Going by yourself is awsome, you do what you want, when you want at your pace. No compromising for anyone. Also, take full advantage of Single Rider lines, they reduce your wait time significantly. Going alone, you can see alot of things you haven't before b/c you may have been rushed by group mates. I will admit, the one downfall to going alone is that sometimes in line, you'll feel kinda weird being the only person by yourself. But if you're not shy (like me when I go to the park by myself), try making conversation with the people around you. Most people who go to Disneyland are very friendly. Who knows, you may meet a new friend to hang around with .

If you're not sure whether or not you're ready to go by yourself, I read from someone on the board that a great way to see if you're okay with going alone is to go to the mall by yourself. Just walk around, do your own thing and maybe catch a movie. If you're alright doing that, then going to Disneyland by yourself should be no problem. It sounded weird to me, but I found that they are kinda similar experiences and it really gauges where you are.

• Keepin' it calsteady

I've done it twice and didn't like it. The first time I went just to take photos and that worked out pretty well for the photos. I'm totally used to going places alone, especially when photographing, but being at Disneyland felt pretty lonely. I still get that magical feeling watching the fireworks and having the holiday "snow" falling all around, but it wasn't a very pleasant experience.

I went again for the AP preview of Star Tours and the Star Tours part was fine, but when I had to kill a little time between Star Tours trips I waited in line for Space Mountain and it felt awkward, even with texting and Facebooking on my phone to keep me busy. Going on a ride alone wasn't very much fun for me either. I took off as soon as my Star Tours preview time ended and headed home.

Obviously how you fare will depend on your own personality. There definitely are people around Mice Chat who go alone and enjoy it, and you'll never know if you're one of them without trying it. For me, I'm happy to go less often with someone great joining me rather than trying to make it work by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    Half the fun of Disneyland for me is sharing it with someone.. whether it's my family, friends, a gf, etc. When I wanna be alone, I chill at home, play games, read a book. Disneyland is a social activity for me.
    I agree with this. I found going by myself to spoil the magic a little. I'm a huge Disneland fan, but, for me, a lot of the magic is what is shared. I think I could enjoy it alone if I just walked around contemplating life instead of going on any rides.

I actually enjoyed my solo trip to DLR two months ago. Besides the single rider lines and flexible schedules people already mentioned, because I went by myself I had more opportunities to meet a lot of people of various backgrounds. For example I met at/around DLR a cast member going to UCLA Communications that tries to balance her work/school schedules, an Ohio family of five visiting Disney Parks for the first time that didn't enjoy Space Mountain, and even a physician attending a conference next door that purposely skipped DL this time. I think this is an important part of my DLR trip experience. Have an open mind, listen and talk to others, and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Earlier, another Mice Chatter asked about a similar question that you may want to read through. The thread is: Is it lame to go to disneyland alone?

i go by myself quite often, although it's mainly because only a few of my friends have an AP as i do, and they're not down to go as often as i like to and my other friends just flat-out don't want to get an AP (their loss).

while going alone isn't nearly as fun as sharing the experience with someone else, i still love it. it really allows me to slow down and take the time to notice the little things, take in the ambience and not have to worry about staying the entire day to cram as much as possible into one visit.

yea, sometimes i feel a little weird waiting in line for rides (haven't really tried out the single rider lines as some have mentioned... will have to check that out) but i like going to the park and taking pictures, pin trading, looking for hidden mickeys, etc. for me, it's a nice way to relax, which can be especially fun after a long work week!

but no matter what people respond, you won't know until you give it a shot! when you do, let us know how it goes!

went alone for my birthday a few years ago when they had the free birthday admission thing. No one wanted to go and i didn't wanna pass up getting a $72 credit towards a annual pass. I didn't go on rides, just chilled, did some shopping, people watched, and then watched fantasmic.

haha. when my boyfriend heard of what i did he was depressed for me an got a pass too so now we always go together.

Quote Originally Posted by MochaCat View Post
    went alone for my birthday a few years ago when they had the free birthday admission thing. No one wanted to go and i didn't wanna pass up getting a $72 credit towards a annual pass. I didn't go on rides, just chilled, did some shopping, people watched, and then watched fantasmic.

haha. when my boyfriend heard of what i did he was depressed for me an got a pass too so now we always go together.
    Haha glad you mentioned that because I also went by myself during my birthday during the free birthday admission year. Although my family and friends weren't with me, I got to celebrate my birthday at DL with a lot of well wishers seeing my birthday pin.

• Yeah.....

I usually make it a point to do a solo trip once every few months or so. I treat it as a form of therapy, so to speak (what better environment to reflect on one's self than the magic kingdom!). The freedom of it all can be quite liberating. Photography or filming is a snap when you're not having to worry about someone else's priorities. Plus, if you have a bunch of cast member friends like I do, you're never really far from someone to chat with for a while. You're not being rude to anyone by listening to your iPod while in line for something. But if you're really feeling social, strike up a conversation with anyone at all! I remember one time while waiting to ride the matterhorn, I had a lengthy talk with this couple that was actually from Switzerland. That was fun!

In case anyone was wondering, here's all the attractions that offer a single-rider line: Splash, Indy, Soarin', Grizzly, Goofy's Sky School, and Screamin'.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast