Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Electric Light Parade is Lame. Discuss:

There, I said it.

I never got it. Yeah, its kind of cool. When it first came out it was probably totally cutting edge, but im almost 40 now, and I can't imagine how even in the 70s it was cutting edge...

I guess I might have some residual effects from being a kid and just wanting to go on rides at Disenyland at like 10pm while the lines were lower, but my parents made us watch it and I had to sit there and watch a bunch of Christmas lights on floats go by with bad 80s synth music. I actually think now I would be more stoked to see it today, due to the memories of being a kid (forced to) see it.

Now when I go to Disneyland I actually appreciate the entertainment, the ambiance and artistry more than the actual rides, so I see what my parents were doing, but really, what is the deal with the Electric Light parade? I should also include the fact that I hate all parades (except drum lines, marching bands and drill team girls).

Discuss?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Electric Light Parade is Lame. Discuss:

I think like MANY things that are part of Disney its more about the Nostalgic feelings you get when your on a ride....or see a show.

I think its a great show for what it is and MANY people love it so until people dont care about it I say keep it around

• Banned User

Never seen it, however I do enjoy Disney's Electrical Parade.

What is this Electric Light Parade?

Not even knowing the correct name of something your dissing is... lame.

• Banned User

Agreed. It is a tedious parade with annoying music. I can understand nostalgia for such a thing, but to continue to inflict it upon guests is a shame.

• Senior Minion

Diff'rnt strokes, I guess. I was there the year the MSEP premiered, as an adult, and was blown away -- and continued to get goosebumps every time I saw it. Year after year, everyone in the crowd loved it. To me it was the perfect combination and sight, sound, energy and size-scale for that parade route. At home I couldn't stop playing the soundtrack.

When it returned to DCA, it seemed like a fakey corporate-ized version of its former self. Something was 'way missing. Last week I read a post that IMO perfectly describes why:

Quote Originally Posted by Crazee4mm View Post
    To me, The Electrical Parade is the epitome of Disney Magic. It was there when I was growing up and it was what I looked forward to the most when my family would plan on our once-a-year visit. At DCA, the parade always felt out of place. The floats appeared small on the "Performance Corridor", and the changing "lands" thaat the parade passed through made it look out-of-place for much of it's route. At Disneyland, it was always larger than life. The intimacy of the parade route meant that you sat close to the floats and the music filled every nook and cranny. At DCA, you have obvious speaker towers that are not integrated into the surroundings so you have good soundfields and bad ones. At Disneyland you interacted with it. At DCA, you "watched" it. That's why I previously wrote that I want it to be retuned to Disneyland, not just to the resort.
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

We all have different experiences in life. Your dislike of ELP is certainly a combination of the fact that, for whatever reason, you don't like parades to begin with combined with the fact that you had a tense relationship with your parents who forced the parade on you. My experience with the ELP (and my parents) was always very good and the magic of the ELP will never leave me. Hearing the music coming down the street is still one of the most exciting things for me and I can't wait to share that with my daughter when we go to WDW next month! In fact, we're only going to WDW for one night and ONLY to see ELP. We will do nothing else while we're there because, the week before going to WDW, we're going to Disneyland. Disneyland is "home". The only reason that we're going to WDW is for the ELP. We're in Florida to see family.

On a side note, this kind of a thread is an invitation for insults and negativity. It's unproductive and unnecessary. The ELP is loved by many. You don't have to understand why and you certainly don't need to insult it.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post

Well... I gotta kinda agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoku View Post
    On a side note, this kind of a thread is an invitation for insults and negativity. It's unproductive and unnecessary. The ELP is loved by many. You don't have to understand why and you certainly don't need to insult it.
    ...And with that, too.

OTOH, if because of the OP's parents his first viewing of the MSEP was anything as traumatic as my first viewing of Light Tragic, I can truly sympathize.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Hooterville, USA

Too bad you don't get "it".

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Hukuna Matata!

I relate to it cause of the lights and music, it reminds me of my childhood, so for that I like it, I am jaded. Next time I see it either in Florida or if they bring it home to California, I will try to watch it and give it another look.

• -

I do enjoy the MAIN STREET Electrical Parade. I even watched it a couple of times when it was in CA Adventure. I agree it did seem small in the CA Adventure probably because of the wider corridor and the lack of the forced prospective of the Main Street buildings.

I also believe that you don't need to view something every time you are at Disneyland to enjoy it. There were times when it was there that I would take advantage of smaller lines to ride rides, just as I do now with the fireworks. If it came back to Disneyland where it belongs, I would definitely watch it again, just not every time.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post

Discounting someones opinion because they didn't get the name exactly right is also lame. That's like me saying "I hate the teacups" and some smart alec saying "What's that? Do you mean the Mad Tea Party?"

• -

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    Discounting someones opinion because they didn't get the name exactly right is also lame. That's like me saying "I hate the teacups" and some smart alec saying "What's that? Do you mean the Mad Tea Party?"
    Agree 100%. There is no need to be rude to others on here just because their opinion is different than yours.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Hukuna Matata!

HEY!!!!
    Were all winners!!!! Lame is nothing but blame without the B. Does that make sense? No, But neither does not respecting others opinion's. I like the parade, but I would never judge someone for feeling or for being different. It takes guts to tell the world a beloved attraction sucks.
    If we were all the same we would get bored.
    Peace Luv and Haunt 2011

• Sock Puppet

i never saw what this thread is about. how ever the electrical parade was cool and i will miss it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast