Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• This is it... COME ON!!

Question So What Do You All Think Of The Little Mermaid In DCA?

I think it's a good ride that definitely is showing signs of weirdness, cheapness, and quick solutions. What do you all think?
    Disneyland's closed for all of 2011. See you in 2012. Snow White is now a water ride, Matterhorn has a fullsize basketball court where the Clippers have relocated to, and King Arthur's Carousel is suspended 250ft. in the air.
    Enjoy it while it lasts! LOL!

Proud Premium Passholder

What happened to the old Disney movie opening? The new ones just too long and not classic.

• Minion

Re: So What Do You All Think Of The Little Mermaid In DCA?

I personally enjoyed it, though I came in with high expectations of it being the next Haunted Mansion. I didn't feel convinced that I was going under the sea, especially in the Under the Sea portion with the lights on the ceiling. Also, I didn't like the fact that they skipped the climatic battle with Ursula and just went to a happy ending. All of the AA's were awesome (especially Ursula), and everything was very detailed throughout, and I'm happy that DCA finally has a beautiful new attraction that it has been missing for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I personally enjoyed it, though I came in with high expectations of it being the next Haunted Mansion. I didn't feel convinced that I was going under the sea, especially in the Under the Sea portion with the lights on the ceiling. Also, I didn't like the fact that they skipped the climatic battle with Ursula and just went to a happy ending. All of the AA's were awesome (especially Ursula), and everything was very detailed throughout, and I'm happy that DCA finally has a beautiful new attraction that it has been missing for 10 years.
    It was a little too happy wasn't it? It was also very bright in the undersea section, like Haunted Mansion Holiday's Graveyard.
    Disneyland's closed for all of 2011. See you in 2012. Snow White is now a water ride, Matterhorn has a fullsize basketball court where the Clippers have relocated to, and King Arthur's Carousel is suspended 250ft. in the air.

Proud Premium Passholder

What happened to the old Disney movie opening? The new ones just too long and not classic.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by jjajju View Post
    I think it's a good ride that definitely is showing signs of weirdness, cheapness, and quick solutions. What do you all think?
    I think an appointment with an optometrist is in order.
    It was also very bright in the undersea section, like Haunted Mansion Holiday's Graveyard.
    I'm not sure if you've been on it lately, but in my visit last week, I noticed that the lights in the Under The Sea room are definitely more subdued now, especially when compared to the opening weekend. Has anyone else noticed that?

• -

I think it is a fun ride. Of the two that opened in June, I prefer Star Tours, but it is a totally different type of ride. The mermaid ride is fun and relaxing and I love the Mr. Limpet that's in there.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    I think an appointment with an optometrist is in order.

I'm not sure if you've been on it lately, but in my visit last week, I noticed that the lights in the Under The Sea room are definitely more subdued now, especially when compared to the opening weekend. Has anyone else noticed that?
    It's darker? Hm...I'll have to go look again.
    And I just think that for an example: Those fish in the hallway towards under the sea are static. They aren't even rocking back and forth or rotating they are just there. And whats with Ariel's hair in Under The Sea? If they are trying to copy that one part in the film where the fish make it like that, they are doing a horrible job! And you can't just put giant Ursula screaming in the background that doesn't work.

---------- Post added 08-15-2011 at 02:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I think it is a fun ride. Of the two that opened in June, I prefer Star Tours, but it is a totally different type of ride. The mermaid ride is fun and relaxing and I love the Mr. Limpet that's in there.
    Mr. Limpet? Where?

• Banned User

I like it but I agree I don't feel underwater. I think the whole ride should have been blacklit and not just Ursula. That would have given it a much more effective result ( I think), also I think Ariel's face looks terribly. Like a soulles Repunzel on crack, and I hate that the projectors are cgi and not 2D. Especially since Ursula's crystal ball is 2D. and they definitely cheaped out on the ending battle. I guess it's just been so long since we've had a new dark ride, I'm more critical now than when I was little. Cause I can't pull the other rides apart like that, I just accept them. Oh well. Definitely don't think it's a quick fix or weird or anything like that. There was nothing quick about it. It'll do though.

• DLR Cast Member

Those fish in the hallway towards under the sea are static.
    Seriously? Even though the "Under the Sea" room as a gazillion moving characters, the static fish on the wall just prior to the room is evidence for it being "cheap"?? Seriously???
    And whats with Ariel's hair in Under The Sea? If they are trying to copy that one part in the film where the fish make it like that, they are doing a horrible job!
    It's pretty funny, but I don't think it's horrible at all. It's pretty cool that her hair actually has separate actuated movements from the rest of her.
    And you can't just put giant Ursula screaming in the background that doesn't work.
    I kinda see where you're going with that, but I understand why the Imagineers didn't want to have a death scene. The ride already has one dark element (Ursala's Lair), and I can understand why they didn't want to have more than one. It's not supposed to be a scary ride, and I concur with the Imagineers that maving a death scene would have made the ride scarier and possibly more violent. Heck, as it is, Guest Relations gets complaints every night about Mufasa's death scene in World of Color.

• -

Mr. Limpet? Where?
    You have to kind of look over your shoulder as you come around in the Under the Sea room. He's on the wall behind you on your way to the exit of the room. I would estimate on the last quarter of track as you are making your loop around the room.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I like it but I agree I don't feel underwater. I think the whole ride should have been blacklit and not just Ursula. That would have given it a much more effective result ( I think), also I think Ariel's face looks terribly. Like a soulles Repunzel on crack, and I hate that the projectors are cgi and not 2D. Especially since Ursula's crystal ball is 2D. and they definitely cheaped out on the ending battle. I guess it's just been so long since we've had a new dark ride, I'm more critical now than when I was little. Cause I can't pull the other rides apart like that, I just accept them. Oh well. Definitely don't think it's a quick fix or weird or anything like that. There was nothing quick about it. It'll do though.
    lol Rapunzel on crack. And yeah they should be 2D like the crystalball agreed.

---------- Post added 08-15-2011 at 03:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Seriously? Even though the "Under the Sea" room as a gazillion moving characters, the static fish on the wall just prior to the room is evidence for it being "cheap"?? Seriously???
    It's pretty funny, but I don't think it's horrible at all. It's pretty cool that her hair actually has separate actuated movements from the rest of her.

I kinda see where you're going with that, but I understand why the Imagineers didn't want to have a death scene. The ride already has one dark element (Ursala's Lair), and I can understand why they didn't want to have more than one. It's not supposed to be a scary ride, and I concur with the Imagineers that maving a death scene would have made the ride scarier and possibly more violent. Heck, as it is, Guest Relations gets complaints every night about Mufasa's death scene in World of Color.
    I don't mean the whole ride is cheap just some of it. Wow really? I didn't even know they get complaints about Mufasa! I just feel that it seems like Ursula's only role is helping Ariel in the ride, but considering the complaints about Mufasa I see why they left it out.

---------- Post added 08-15-2011 at 03:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    You have to kind of look over your shoulder as you come around in the Under the Sea room. He's on the wall behind you on your way to the exit of the room. I would estimate on the last quarter of track as you are making your loop around the room.
    Oh wow I'll have to look next time thanks!

• The Prince

I personally enjoy the ride, it's nice to have another dark ride based on a animated film. I like how the queue and the building turned out really nice.

• Down Pluto!

Indeed it is a good ride. However weirdness, cheapness, and quick solutions are certainly in the eye of the beholder.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

that part of world of color is the most awkward thing ive ever experienced at the parks. everything is happy and then that scene happens and ur left with pitch black and simba crying dad. at least they didnt show bambi, u know what happens there hahhaha. back to the main point, im sad they left out the final fight scene, i understand why they did it, just wished they didnt.

• Artistic integrity

I kept my expectations in check ... as it was growing ever clearer .. this was not meant to be a all-out E Ticket experience .. but a solid "D". It's what DCA had been missing since day one. As it now makes dark-ride experience Number 3 ... in addition to Midway Mania, and Monsters Inc.

Could it be better? Yes. I thought the "under water" effects in the "Under the sea" sequence can be better .. and make the room darker. But now .. someone is chiming in .. saying it's been tweaked a bit. I hope so. That was one improvement that can be made without rebuilding anything.

I think it was bit rushed toward the end of the ride. It's as though .. once you get passed "Kiss the girl" .. it's as though imagineers realized ... OH FUDGE ... We are running out of room to finish the story!

My bigger pet-peeve ... which cannot be fixed .. is the layout at the last two scenes.
    Just lined out .. in a straight row ... It's like it's setting up before the ride is over .. to wrap it up .. and get you off the ride!

I understand they did what they could with the spaces they had to work with. But one design element I have always enjoyed in dark ride experiences ... Omnimover or other ride vehicle ... is keeping us disoriented throughout the entire magical journey .. right up to the very end. Following a curvy "maze" ... or changing the direction the omnimover car is aiming for ....... we don't follow a "straight line" ... till our ride reaches it's unload point.

After 3 rides on L.M. ... Once I get passed "Kiss the girl" ... the omnimover's 360 capabilities is done at this point ... as it maintains a "straight" path as it moves into 2 more scenes facing the same direction. I don't feel "lost" within the story at this point. I feel like I'm passing through a series of mall store fronts.

In the future ..... as Disney deals with other constricting areas of DCA to be transformed into new attractions .. it would help DISNEY that you keep that "twisty turning" track design in any new ride .. right up to the end.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I kept my expectations in check ... as it was growing ever clearer .. this was not meant to be a all-out E Ticket experience .. but a solid "D". It's what DCA had been missing since day one. As it now makes dark-ride experience Number 3 ... in addition to Midway Mania, and Monsters Inc.

Could it be better? Yes. I thought the "under water" effects in the "Under the sea" sequence can be better .. and make the room darker. But now .. someone is chiming in .. saying it's been tweaked a bit. I hope so. That was one improvement that can be made without rebuilding anything.

I think it was bit rushed toward the end of the ride. It's as though .. once you get passed "Kiss the girl" .. it's as though imagineers realized ... OH FUDGE ... We are running out of room to finish the story!

My bigger pet-peeve ... which cannot be fixed .. is the layout at the last two scenes.
    Just lined out .. in a straight row ... It's like it's setting up before the ride is over .. to wrap it up .. and get you off the ride!

I understand they did what they could with the spaces they had to work with. But one design element I have always enjoyed in dark ride experiences ... Omnimover or other ride vehicle ... is keeping us disoriented throughout the entire magical journey .. right up to the very end. Following a curvy "maze" ... or changing the direction the omnimover car is aiming for ....... we don't follow a "straight line" ... till our ride reaches it's unload point.

After 3 rides on L.M. ... Once I get passed "Kiss the girl" ... the omnimover's 360 capabilities is done at this point ... as it maintains a "straight" path as it moves into 2 more scenes facing the same direction. I don't feel "lost" within the story at this point. I feel like I'm passing through a series of mall store fronts.

In the future ..... as Disney deals with other constricting areas of DCA to be transformed into new attractions .. it would help DISNEY that you keep that "twisty turning" track design in any new ride .. right up to the end.

Thank you.
    Agreed. I noticed as well it kinda went quickly at the end, and followed a straight line.

Proud Premium Passholder

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast