Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile What are some jobs at the Disneyland Resort?

Hi. I'm 15 and love Disneyland. I'm currently thinking of working there. But I don't live in California. I'm currently in North West. Unlike others I want to go to College TO work there not the other way around. I know It sounds crazy but is there any positions at the parks that require a college education. I don't really want to do all this then get $9.55 an hour. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!!

Coolcats304

• Keepin' it calsteady

Re: What are some jobs at the Disneyland Resort?

Here's where jobs are listed on Disneyland's Web site.

I think the highest paid positions are in Guest Services working the phones to help people plan their trips. The starting pay is $11.55.

• The Prince

A college degree may help if you want to get involved in Imagineering. Althought it's not always about having the degree. It's mainly about having connections. It's what a former Imagineer told me, also by starting a job in the park and work your way to the top.

• Minion

My niece started working there out of high school as characters. She completed college and now is in Marketing with Disney.

What do you want to do?
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by Coolcats304 View Post
    Hi. I'm 15 and love Disneyland. I'm currently thinking of working there. But I don't live in California. I'm currently in North West. Unlike others I want to go to College TO work there not the other way around. I know It sounds crazy but is there any positions at the parks that require a college education. I don't really want to do all this then get $9.55 an hour. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!!

Coolcats304
    Here is my suggestion if you want to make more than that, go to college get your degree or get working experience near home and then apply for Disneyland. Almost everyone starts around that amount unless cast members that have applied had prior experience, had a degree in a certain area, etc. Wants you have prior experience or a degree, then I recommend going to DisneyCareers.com.

I am having the same problem but I already have a degree. While I was talking to a Cast Member they suggested calling the casting center to see what would be my best option. You need to decide what you would like your major to be and make sure one of the colleges around the area actually offer it. Call the casting center (714) 781-1651. Another program you may want to consider is disneycareerstart.com . Hope I was a little helpful.

• The Pumpkin King

What about the Disney College program? I too am thinking about Working at Disneyland.

• I'm not really here

Disney employs people in just about every possible job category. Nursing, marketing, landscaping, architecture, programming, directing, publishing, construction, accounting, artists, you name it, they employ them.

1st thing to do is find something that you LOVE doing. If you don't love doing it, don't do it, otherwise it will be a job, and jobs are not fun. Find what you love doing and you won't work a day in your life. Instead of a job, you'll have fun. You'll get paid to do what you most love in the world. That's called playing.

Disney hires people who are experienced in their fields. You need to know your stuff. You can have all the connections in the world, if you don't know what you're talking about, that won't matter. Get good at your chosen field.

Broaden your views. Get some experience in related fields, or even totally unrelated ones. Become a well rounded person with multiple interests and skills. The more you know about things in general and other disciplines, the more able you are to grasp the "bigger picture" of a situation. It makes you more valuable.

Connections are indeed important at this point. Knowing people who can put in a good word helps immeasurably.

But none of this matters if you can't answer that first question. What do you want to be when you grow up?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Toad Hall

My friends mother is head of human resources department and is on salary, they lived in a really nice house in anaheim so i think she made a pretty good amount of money. If you want to make money dont work in the park but more on the business side of it.
    <font size=4> </font>

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coolcats304 View Post
    ... is there any positions at the parks that require a college education....
    Mycroft earlier said, "Disney employs people in just about every possible job category. Nursing, marketing, landscaping, architecture, programming, directing, publishing, construction, accounting, artists, you name it, they employ them." Mycroft is correct. I can speak with some authority on that subject, since I'm one of those people you're talking about. There are literally thousands of people who work at DLR whose positions are "degree required", and many more that are "degree preferred". My own position is one of those. For the sake of anonymity, I can't tell you what department I'm in, but I can tell you that my postion is a 40 hour full time salaried position which requires a degree. I have an Associate Degree in Business Administration and a Bachelor's Degree in Communications, so I was slightly better qualified than most other applicants. Just off the top of my head, I regularly interface with degreed people in Marketing, Legal, Human Resources, Research, Operations, Information Technology, Warehousing, Imagineering, Development and Public Relations. That only scratches the surface.

Now, one thing I WILL share with you is that you're more likely to get one of these positions if you already work at DLR in another capacity. Disney places high value on promoting from within first, where possible. In my own area, I'm one out of only two people who was hired from the outside. Everyone else in my department came from within, and about 2/3 of them started as hourly In-Park Cast Members, who worked in the park while going to school.

One question I get asked a lot is about my pay. Disney has a reputation is not paying well, but in all honesty, that reputation is not deserved. In my position, my pay is roughly average for my field. If I quit and go elsewhere, I have probably a 2/3 chance of making more money elsewhere, but a 1/3 change of making less. I'm not wealthy, but my wife and I own a reasonably nice house about 10 from DL in a sleepy suburb, and one of my kids is in college, which my salary is able to provide for. I'm coming up on 2 years of service. My pay increase after the first year was relatively generous. Where Disney shines is in the area of benefits. I accrue vacation at a greater rate than I use, due to the fact that Disney gives full-time CM's a certain number of comp days every year. My medical benefits are rather liberal. The 401k plan is the best I've ever had. Plus, as a salaried CM, I'm part of the pension plan. I also recently started taking advantage of the employee stock purchase program. They take just a few dollars out of my check every week, and before I realize it, I'm a stockholder! Also along those lines is job security. Layoffs, while they do occur from time to time, are very rare. I like not having to worry about whether my job will be ther or not in the future.

Then there are the other benefits. Disney encourages education, and has an education reimbursement program. In fact, I plan on starting a master's program this coming spring thanks to that. And, of course, is the sign-in privileges. I love being able to come to the park on the weekends just to have dinner with the Mrs, or have one of my kids meet me for lunch during the week. In addition to a sign-ins, CM's also get a certain number of complimentary tickets every year. I usually donate these to a local charity to use as fundraisers or raffles. Lastly, there's the CM discount. 20%-35% off merchandise (depending on your length of service), and 50% off during Christmas. I wonder how long it will take before my family grows weary of getting Disney merchanside for Christmas.
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 08-19-2011 at 07:58 AM.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Now, one thing I WILL share with you is that you're more likely to get one of these positions if you already work at DLR in another capacity. Disney places high value on promoting from within first, where possible. In my own area, I'm one out of only two people who was hired from the outside. Everyone else in my department came from within, and about 2/3 of them started as hourly In-Park Cast Members, who worked in the park while going to school.
    Starting out in the parks can be a definite benefit. It shows your willing to work hard to get the job you want. It also gives you some first hand experience with how the park runs. It's the real world experience that they like people to have. It rounds you out a bit. You get your foot in the door at the parks, show you're a hard worker who cares about the company.

If the job you eventually want has nothing to do with the parks, well, that won't help much. lol.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• The Pumpkin King

What kind of jobs at the parks require a certain skill or trade?

I know maitnence is one, but what are the others?

• ~Ariel Extraordinaire~

This is how I would do it, take whatever position you can get at first to establish yourself. You'll likely be making $9.00 an hour which isn't that wonderful, but you'll see if you even like working for the company, and what you do and do not like to do for work. Plus it'll give you a big advantage for snagging a better position later on - especially if you take pride in your work and make as few mistakes as possible. You can always change departments later on, and try new areas to figure out where you would like to advance.

Then, after that, you can look for positions in marketing or hospitality (whatever you are interested in), even an internship and work your way from there.

As other mentioned, there is also the college program, which is much smaller than Disney World's, but still exists. A very good friend of mine completed that and really liked it. They provide you with housing options I believe, which is nice because southern California is a VERY expensive place to live.

What are you planning to major in? I know you're only 15, but I bet you have some ideas!

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    What kind of jobs at the parks require a certain skill or trade?
    Tons, some of which have already been mentioned.

Mycroft mentioned nursing, marketing, landscaping, architecture, programming, directing, publishing, construction, accounting, and artists. I mentioned departments such as Marketing, Legal, Human Resources, Research, Operations, Information Technology, Warehousing, Imagineering, Development and Public Relations.

There are a lot more. These are just an example.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Tons, some of which have already been mentioned. Mycroft mentioned nursing, marketing, landscaping, architecture, programming, directing, publishing, construction, accounting, and artists. I mentioned departments such as Marketing, Legal, Human Resources, Research, Operations, Information Technology, Warehousing, Imagineering, Development and Public Relations.

There are a lot more. These are just an example.
    So my guess would be to get a degree in one of these then apply at DLR? Or work as a CM and do college?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast