Fantasmic! or WOC?

Hi everyone, i would like to introduce myself. I'm megan, long time reader first time poster.
    My mom and i have a trip planned for october 11th thru the 15th (that is a tuesday thru saturday). through different circumstances neither of us have ever seen fantasmic! despite going to the parks a few times within the last few years and when we were last there in april of 2010 WOC hadnt opened yet. we had planned to see both over the course of friday and saturday and fit in the fireworks show somewhere, but i just realised that mickeys halloween party will be taking over disneyland on friday. the full schedule isnt up for these dates yet, so i dont know if WOC will still be shown on a daily basis at this point. Do they keep DCA open during mickeys halloween party? Do you think they will show WOC that night? if not, which would you choose to see if you could only see one, or do you have a strategy for seeing both in one night?

• The Pumpkin King

Re: Fantasmic! or WOC?

Quote Originally Posted by MeganH333 View Post
    Hi everyone, i would like to introduce myself. I'm megan, long time reader first time poster.
    My mom and i have a trip planned for october 11th thru the 15th (that is a tuesday thru saturday). through different circumstances neither of us have ever seen fantasmic! despite going to the parks a few times within the last few years and when we were last there in april of 2010 WOC hadnt opened yet. we had planned to see both over the course of friday and saturday and fit in the fireworks show somewhere, but i just realised that mickeys halloween party will be taking over disneyland on friday. the full schedule isnt up for these dates yet, so i dont know if WOC will still be shown on a daily basis at this point. Do they keep DCA open during mickeys halloween party? Do you think they will show WOC that night? if not, which would you choose to see if you could only see one, or do you have a strategy for seeing both in one night?
    First off, welcome to MiceChat! If I had to only choose one, I personally would watch Fantasmic. But it depends really on what you want and what you are looking for in show.

• I'm not really here

If I could only choose one, it would be Fantasmic! But WoC is an amazingly awesome show as well. It's not an easy decision to make. Both are incredibly well produced and extravagant shows. They are quite different as well and hard to compare. Hopefully you'll be able to do both. I've never tried to do both in one night before so I can't make any suggestions there.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• The Prince

Welcome aboard Megan! I personally recommend watching Fantasmic! WOC is really nice and was really impressed but if you would like to watch a show with a story and live action Disney characters, you will enjoy Fantasmic!

• Banned User

Weird. 3rd post this month on this topic. Oh well. If you just want fun, Fantasmic, but WOC is an incredibly emotional experience. As I've said before it brings all my friends to tears each time they see it. I haven't seen F! but once or twice since WOC opened. It's a don't miss each visit.

• Disney is home

I myself prefer Fantasmic, mainly because it involves performers and I love the music. Also, there are a lot of good comments on this same subject in this thread here Fantasmic or WOC

For me it would be Fantasmic all the way, but I also enjoyed World of Color a lot as well. Both are amazing shows in their own way. I have tried to see them in one night and succeeded. What I did was get a fast pass for the 9:00 showing for WOC and when that finished I did my best to get to Fantasmic for its 10:30 showing. So it is possible to see them in one night, but your chance of getting a good view is questionable, but not impossible. I remember that night that my family and I were lucky enough to get a good spot at River Belle Terrace so part of it is just plain luck. There are also other good spots that may be open. For example the overpass of POTC or somewhere along the edge of the River.

You could also do this in reverse and go see Fantasmic at 9:00 first and then go for the 10:15 showing of world of color. All in all if you only choose to see one heres a little details on both. Fantasmic is a night show with lights, lasers, live performers, and lots of pyrotechnics. The uniqueness of the show is that it has live performers and is very breathtaking with all the effects used and how they all come together. World of Color is also a unique show in that its performers are the fountains themselves. The show does an amazing job of telling each scene and the stories behind them. The show also relies on its water screens to do so as does Fantasmic where they project film onto. This brings both of the shows to another level.

If you end up having to choose between one or the other don't worry about your choice because either way you will not be disappointed with your decision. Enjoy!

you should be able to do both. if not, go to Fantasmic! and if it it is in the budget get the dessert package.

if you can do both consider getting one of the dining packages for WOC.

• MC's #1 Mars Volta fan

From someone who's just returning to the forums, welcome to MC! I would really make an effort to see both, they're essentially equal in my eyes. If I had to choose one I would say WOC, but that's really a toss up for me.
    The kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalynn Carter!
    http://mongrelarchitect.tumblr.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/coolstoryaj

• Senior Minion

Hi Megan! Welcome to MC!

Well we will be in DLR at the same time! Don't worry - I'm not going to get all creepy and suggest we meet up!

I am resigned to the fact that we will miss out on Fantasmic as it seems to be limited to Saturday and Sunday by then and we arrive on Sunday afternoon and depart on Saturday afternoon.

I suspect that WOC will remain daily into October though which (if true) will mean that you can see both. Sadly I am not in that position.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Dreaming of next trip

We will be there that Friday, yes we are going to mickeys party.
    If my memory is correct DCA will be open while the party is going on. You should be able to see WOC at that time.
    Both WOC and Fantasmic are worth seeing. So try to get one on Friday and the other on Saturday.
    Good Luck and have fun

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

If you have to choose one, it's really up to you. They are both amazing shows but very different. WOC is more technical and F! is more about seeing the costumed characters in action. Among my friends, it's really split between which show is best. I'm sure you have seen videos of both online so you must have some idea of which you would rather see. (Plus, videos can't compare to seeing either show in person.)

It is possible to see both shows in one night but you really need to hustle and stay ahead of the slow moving mob that leaves any of the shows. Plus it's hard to plan a course of action with out the show times being posted yet.

But if you are not attending Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, then there is no problem. Ca Adv. (in the past) has had extended hrs to accommodate the crowds from Disneyland and had an extra WOC show added. So you could see WOC on Friday and then F! on Saturday.

Welcome to MiceChat and I hope you have a great trip!!!

Welcome! From the dates you gave, I believe Saturday would be the only night you would be able to see Fantasmic (weather permitting). It can get windy that time of year. Like most of the people that have responded - I would pick Fantasmic over World of Color only because it is a more classic Disney experience. WOC is absolutely spectacular but has kind of a Las Vegas show business feel to it even with the Disney projections. It shouldn't be missed though.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Future Indy Castmember

World of Color is expected to be playing daily and the showtimes will reflect on DCAs operating hours. I do suggest that you plan for WoC bewteen Tue-Fri and focus on Fantasmic! on Sat. It'll take out the hassle of tackling both on Sat. You can watch the first showing of F! on Sat and stay at ROA for the fireworks. Like everyone said, both are great shows in their own right and since you have multiple days (others that have asked this question have said they were going for one day), you have the chance to see both during your time at DLR.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Workin to live,lovin life

Personally I prefer Fantasmic!

The way I put it is that Fantasmic! is like watching one of the best Broadway Musicals/ Stage Productions. World of Color is like watching a great movie in one of the most technologically advanced movie theaters.

I'm all about live performers versus projections. Fantasmic! has both, but more live performers.

If you can though, I'd suggest getting reservations for either one as it will save you a lot of time and hassle. They're not cheap though!