Page 24 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1421222324252627344974 ... LastLast

Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

from screamscape. dont know how much truth is in it. Screamscape: According to the Marvel presentation that took place during last week’s D23 convention, they mentioned that while there have been talks about adding some kind of Marvel themed attraction to the Disney parks, there is currently nothing in the works. Yet…

• Carbon based

However, we all know Marvel is coming because Disney spent a pretty penny on it, because we've seen the adds for the movie start floating all over the esplanade or more, because the merchandising for Marvel products is in the parks already, etc.

Just today, I had a survey from "Disney Parks" (which has probably been received/discussed by many already I'm sure) asking about new characters meet & greet and specifically asking for where to meet 'Captain America' (in a parade, walking the park, in a ride, etc.)
    We know it's coming

I'm not judging it as good and bad though, just saying there's no denying it

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

If anything, Marvel characters need a land/area of their own - whether in Disneyland or DCA. I'm not against introducing Marvel characters and/or attractions into the park(s), but I don't see them really fitting into any of the existing lands. Maybe if they re-did ToonTown to be more edgy, kind of like it was sometimes shown in the Roger Rabbit film...

Right now, the only Marvel 'attraction' I could see really fitting in would be a replacement show for Captain EO. Really, if you think about it, EO is more 'comic book' than 'tomorrow', already. Super heroes aren't a great fit for TL (no, not even Iron Man), but they wouldn't be any worse than EO. I can imagine the shake floor being put to good use in a Marvel film, especially in any scene involving the Hulk, the Thing, or Sentinels (the giant type).
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    but I don't see them really fitting into any of the existing lands.
    There is a character from the old west who lost his family to cattle rustlers and became a vigilante bringing people to justice. Frontierland

One character is a woman from the big city who decides to leave it all and live a simpler life in the jungles of Africa with the native tribes. Adventureland (even ties into some of the character stories for Jungle Cruise)

There are Marvel characters that almost no one has heard of and some of them are almost perfect matches for the themes of several lands. It's like they were written with that in mind, many decades ago.

Marvel isn't all superheroes in spandex and capes. There is a lot more to it than that.
    Last edited by mycroft16; 08-31-2011 at 09:27 AM.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by TreoFred View Post
    However, we all know Marvel is coming because Disney spent a pretty penny on it, because we've seen the adds for the movie start floating all over the esplanade or more, because the merchandising for Marvel products is in the parks already, etc.

Just today, I had a survey from "Disney Parks" (which has probably been received/discussed by many already I'm sure) asking about new characters meet & greet and specifically asking for where to meet 'Captain America' (in a parade, walking the park, in a ride, etc.)
    We know it's coming

I'm not judging it as good and bad though, just saying there's no denying it
    You're probably right - it's probably just a matter of time before the Marvel characters, themselves, show up in the park. But there is a chance that Disney will just continue to use the Marvel properties as they already exist - very profitable movies and merchandising. Oh, who am I kidding? I just pray that the powers that be have the class and restraint to add Marvel to the DLR tastefully.

---------- Post added 08-31-2011 at 10:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    There is a character from the old west who lost his family to cattle rustlers and became a vigilante bringing people to justice. Frontierland

One character is a woman from the big city who decides to leave it all and live a simpler life in the jungles of Africa with the native tribes. Adventureland (even ties into some of the character stories for Jungle Cruise)

There are Marvel characters that almost no one has heard of and some of them are almost perfect matches for the themes of several lands. It's like they were written with that in mind, many decades ago.
    I'm not familiar with the two characters to which you're referring (not without names to associate them with, at least). That being the case, 99% of the general public won't know them either, which guarantees that they won't be used - especially in lands where they will blend in and basically be obscured. Same goes for any other Marvel characters that aren't well known by the general public. If Disney is going to use Marvel characters in the park(s) for the purpose of 'synergy', they will use household names like Iron Man, the Hulk, Spiderman, Wolverine, the Fantastic Four, etc.

[Possibly objectionable remark redacted]
    Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 08-31-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: I'm picky and self-correct a lot, after the fact.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Shiver Me Knee Caps

Marvel isn't all superheroes in spandex and capes. There is a lot more to it than that.
    you're right but I would think Disney wants to capitalize on the current superhero films and popularity rather than take a chance on unknown commodities...

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Dick O Dell View Post
    you're right but I would think Disney wants to capitalize on the current superhero films and popularity rather than take a chance on unknown commodities...
    Bob Iger said in several interviews at the time of purchase and after that they were interested in the vast catalog of unused characters that they could develop into fully realized properties.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

This may be true, but sadly, if Disney can't put it on a t-shirt, it probably won't happen. I doubt they'd pull out the obscure characters and will stick with big names that can be recognized by the ma$$e$.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    This may be true, but sadly, if Disney can't put it on a t-shirt, it probably won't happen. I doubt they'd pull out the obscure characters and will stick with big names that can be recognized by the ma$$e$.
    We shall see. I'll bet the do both. Use the big names like they are and start picking and choosing and bring up up lower down things starting with their tv stuff.

Bob Iger said in several interviews at the time of purchase and after that they were interested in the vast catalog of unused characters that they could develop into fully realized properties.
    But, in many ways, it would be less risky to try to develop unused Marvel characters through a movie or television show first.

There are a fair number of new movies and television shows per year, and not all of them hit big. But they are more transient and can be relatively easily and quickly 'forgotten' if they are not a big success. Theme park changes seem to have a longer lead time, but also once in place tend to stay in place for a longer period of time.

Plus, with a movie or TV show, once you've paid to make it, it is a sunk cost and if it isn't a hit, you can stop spending money on that franchise. With a theme park attraction, you need to spend money to make the changes, and then spend more money to undo the changes if they really are that poorly received.

So, I would expect to see developing unused characters in media first, with the big hits coming to the parks at some point.

This may be true, but when I opined that Marvel characters don't really fit into the existing lands and atmosphere of Disneyland/DCA, I was primarily referring to those characters that are well-known and are likely to bring a substantial return on investment for the purchase of Marvel. It wouldn't be impossible to shoe-horn some in - like the older, horseback version of Ghost Rider, in FrontierLand, or Iron Man in TomorrowLand, but how/where would they squeeze in characters like the Hulk or SpiderMan?

Some minor Marvel characters might be easy to incorporate into existing areas, and they may even have interesting stories that can be greatly developed, but Disney didn't pay a ton of money for characters that are obscure and don't have an automatic draw for guests, since they could easily come up with equally interesting and developable characters on their own, that they could fit into the parks.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Dr. Strange, is a good example. If you remove the superhero element he can fit him in any experience about the supernatural and magic. If you remove modern references he really could fit in almost any time period. The same could go for characters like: the Scarlet Witch, Ghost Rider, Thor and others that can stand in their own universe.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicBear View Post
    Dr. Strange, is a good example. If you remove the superhero element he can fit him in any experience about the supernatural and magic. If you remove modern references he really could fit in almost any time period. The same could go for characters like: the Scarlet Witch, Ghost Rider, Thor and others that can stand in their own universe.
    Thor won't fit in any of the magical realms that currently exist in Disneyland. He needs an area devoted to myths, because he is a Norse god. And if they were to use 1 of their heroes that is a god it better be Hercules first (I'd rather they use characters they made popular before the characters that they bought after they became popular).
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Carbon based

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    It wouldn't be impossible to shoe-horn some in - like the older, horseback version of Ghost Rider, in FrontierLand, or Iron Man in TomorrowLand, but how/where would they squeeze in characters like the Hulk or SpiderMan?
    Where would you put Captain America? Again, not looking for a debate about if Marvel belongs in the park or not, just wondering since it was the specific Marvel character I was asked about (and specifically in a Meet & Greet capability), where would you put it?

We know that there's a cross link between the Captain America and Iron Man 2 movies (the stark expo is in both and Robert Downey has an updated version of the Captain America shield in a box), we know he was a war hero (so too late for Main Street), and being fairly contemporary Tomorrowland seem to be the only place.

Again, I'm not trying to decry this, just trying to figure a theme fit for THIS specific character.

And BTW, there's a big Avenger teaser poster on the esplanade

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicBear View Post
    Mystic Manor could have very well have been "Dr. Strange's Mystic Manor" without too much thematic change to the ride or the land that houses it, and that's in a Disneyland park (albeit Hong Kong's expansion area).

If Carsland was kept as the original "Carland" incarnation (a more general, Route 66 themed area) a Ghost Rider motorcycle type ride could have fit if done properly. (Probably using whatever ride system they're using for the Tron light-cycle ride that is not-so-secretly being developed).

It IS possible, it just has to be handled with care. I felt like Indiana Jones's inclusion in Disneyland was handled pretty well. Star Wars in Tokyo Disneyland is probably the best example (their queue and building has little touches that make it feel connected to Tomorrowland in general rather than a entirely disparate Star Wars thing, much like they did with Indy in Anaheim's Adventureland).