Page 39 of 104 FirstFirst ... 142936373839404142496489 ... LastLast

Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

I want to know what it says under the red tape. It does look like an old photo or it is just something they never took down but is obviously not in view of the guests.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFan28 View Post
    Maybe alreay posted but EO is back to normal queue 9-19-11
    I wish they would tear out this whole entrance queue. Is it ever used? I swear I only saw it used when the movie was brought back. After that it just serves as a big wasted place that makes the area look cluttered. I say they tear it out and open up the area so that the entrance to eo and space mountain is not so cramp

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Space's Queue (expecially the exterior portion) needs a huge rework. They really need to make it more grand, and use it to tell some sort of story. If it looked more like the entrance to a SpacePort, that would be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Space's Queue (expecially the exterior portion) needs a huge rework. They really need to make it more grand, and use it to tell some sort of story. If it looked more like the entrance to a SpacePort, that would be a good start.
    That entire back area of Tomorrowland really needs a rework of some sort. Its all pretty cluttered, nothing really connects or impresses. EO and Space Mountain buildings clash a bit color scheme wise...

3D movies in general have never needed more then a lobby like waiting area and Space Mountain definitely needs to have the exterior queue draw people into the story or at least not be bland switchbacks.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    That entire back area of Tomorrowland really needs a rework of some sort. Its all pretty cluttered, nothing really connects or impresses. EO and Space Mountain buildings clash a bit color scheme wise...

3D movies in general have never needed more then a lobby like waiting area and Space Mountain definitely needs to have the exterior queue draw people into the story or at least not be bland switchbacks.
    That whole area is a cluster of all sorts of things. I realize it's partly because of the TL '98 remnants clashing with the reworks from the last several years, but even then, there's not one conjoining element to tie everything together. The same goes for Autopia. That one aqua and purple tower over there is hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by Pezlort View Post
    Just got back from DL last night. I noticed a small amount of scaffolding in the upper story of Tomorrowland's Starcade. Is there new work being done up there?
    From some parts of the SM queue you can see what look like semi-permanent shelf units that seem like storage for the stores.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not but I saw in the back of Disneyana near all the paintings they have set up a desk for artist sketch program they have had in Off the Page in DCA for years.

What they should do is gut out the magic eye theater. Then use the queue space in the back along with the old kitchen area for the original tomorrowland eatery that used to be there and turn it into one large eatery that was properly themed.

Once that was done then they could tear out pizza port the huge ramp that is behind it and all the wasted space and turn it into a proper attraction pad. Between this new large attraction pad and the new eatery a nicely themed futuristic ramp would go up to the queue on the second floor of space mountain.

That would better utilize the area and bring space mountains queue entrance to the front instead of the mess that is in at the back. Also moving the eatery to where EO is would allow it to be closer to the restroom facility.

There is so much that could be done to that huge piece of property in front of space mountain so that it is better used and help the flow of traffic.

As a matter of fact they could even move the entrance queue of space mountain to the other side and make the entrance be the starcade. They have plenty of room to create a themed indoor queue at the bottom level then continue to the second level and then out to the roof and directly into the mountain. That would allow them to use the area that is now now used by the large ramp, pizza port and EO's outdoor queue for a large attraction pad. Space mountains exit tunnel could stay As is.

---------- Post added 09-22-2011 at 10:36 PM ----------

And don't get me started on the wasted space over by autopia and the hideous structure that was built when it was taken over by chevron. That is another corner that needs help starting with the removal of the aging skyway building. Removing that alone would help open up the crowded pathway that serves as the entrance to the train station but also the bottleneck thatis created when people are trying to figure out if they want to go into autopia
    Last edited by Baloo; 09-23-2011 at 03:24 PM.

@Baloo

Such a grand post.
    Please be an Imagineer?

I love Tomorrowland with a passion, but it needs serious help.
    I've always hated the wasted space for the Space Mountain queue. The upper level is large and circular, yet we only use two lines that go along the outskirts of the circle.
    I say to use that space for something more proactive. Not sure what, but I just think it's a big nothing right now.

The end.

the problem with using more of the outdoor queue on the roof is safety concerns. Originally that large center area on the roof did not exist. The magic eye theater where captain EO is actually used to be an open air eatery with a large stage. The structure was partially enclosed with a circular pathway at the edge of the structure. That part is what was used as the space mountain queue and is still used today. The kitchen for the eatery and the place to order your food was actually located in the back. The fastpass machines area actually located on top of what used to be part of the order lines for food. Space mountain had a very visible entrance ramp right in front of the structure approximately where the water ball and plants are.

In the early years there used to be music and dancing in the area. When the theater was enclosed they added a roof to the center of the structure but it is believed that it can not take lots of constant load so they try not to use it as queue for safety reasons One of the reasons i think it should all be gutted and turned back into an eatery. That center roof could be removed and once again opened and maybe a nice atruim style roof added that would allow light into this new restaurant and at the same time give the roof a better visual. It could be something low yet appealing so that it also does not block the view of the mountain.

Baloo......... It's alwys been my hope that everything to the left of Star Trader and in front of the main structure of SM all the way over to Innoventions should be gutted/razed to the ground.

Or.... In the alternative, move Pizza Port to Starcade's current position - but I like your idea of moving the queue for SM into the Starcade and using the space where EO and Pizza Port are, combined with Innoventions footprint for a new attraction. But we'd have to find a place of Pizza Port...... But I agree, with EO in it's current place, that whole corner of TL is wasted space.......

Could we at least have the old speedramp queue for SM back?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post

Not to mention the hideous Pizza Port sign that clashes so badly with the new blue/silver scheme. That red and pink sign is just so dang ugly!!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    the problem with using more of the outdoor queue on the roof is safety concerns. Originally that large center area on the roof did not exist. The magic eye theater where captain EO is actually used to be an open air eatery with a large stage. The structure was partially enclosed with a circular pathway at the edge of the structure. That part is what was used as the space mountain queue and is still used today. The kitchen for the eatery and the place to order your food was actually located in the back. The fastpass machines area actually located on top of what used to be part of the order lines for food. Space mountain had a very visible entrance ramp right in front of the structure approximately where the water ball and plants are.

In the early years there used to be music and dancing in the area. When the theater was enclosed they added a roof to the center of the structure but it is believed that it can not take lots of constant load so they try not to use it as queue for safety reasons One of the reasons i think it should all be gutted and turned back into an eatery. That center roof could be removed and once again opened and maybe a nice atruim style roof added that would allow light into this new restaurant and at the same time give the roof a better visual. It could be something low yet appealing so that it also does not block the view of the mountain.
    Interesting about the roof. Tomorrowland is one area of the park whose past I am largely unclear on. I know that that area was the saucers a long time ago, but the time between that attraction and the current Tomorrowland we have today is grey.

It makes sense if that roof is not suitable to hold a load. As it turns out, people are heavy when standing toe to heel in switchbacks. That probobly explains why the queues are kept so wide in the exterior of Space Mt. Wider queues means people might not pack in per square foot as they would if they had twice as many switchbacks. At 150 a person, weight adds up quickly.

As I think everyone agrees, I really hope that that place becomes the future again. Someday...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    Don't know if this has been mentioned or not but I saw in the back of Disneyana near all the paintings they have set up a desk for artist sketch program they have had in Off the Page in DCA for years.
    noticed that today too. found it a bit weird that it's just right in the middle of the room rather than propped up against a wall. since it's already a smaller space, everyone crowding around to watch the artist made it a little claustrophobic (at least when i was there).

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

It also looks like the DL HOTEL tower ID Signs will be giant attraction posters. Very cool. The pic is part of the new Blue Sky Cellar update.

Mint Crocodile has a picture on his blog update.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.