Page 48 of 104 FirstFirst ... 233845464748495051587398 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I'm not sure I think that would be a bit tacky. This is suppose to be a luxury hotel A small reference to the "e" seems appropriate.In my opinion For any of those things to work they would need to be built at a certain scale if not it would be a jumble collection of icons.
    Ok well I think even more subtle references could have worked. For example some iron work on the fences giving a nod to a classic e ticket at Disneyland (maybe having the Eye of Mara in the iron work of the fences around the pool?), or having the tile in the pool match the Haunted Mansion wallpaper. These are just random ideas, but my point is that more could have been done. They could add more "e ticket" to the pool without being gawdy or tacky.

Aside from Trader Sams, the rest of the rennovation has left the hotel kind of bland. The towers are just big blue boxes with no exterior differences between the towers, the new E ticket pool is pretty much devoid of any themeing, etc. It all just seems very bland and sterile in my opinion, in pretty disappointed to be honest.
    Last edited by BuenaVista28; 10-24-2011 at 06:21 PM.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    The following question isn't a "slam," nor is it meant to come off as sarcastic or "snarky."

For those of you who have either been to the Disneyland Hotel in person recently or who have seen the renovation photos, and were upset/angry/sad/disappointed/irked/mad/etc. about the waterfalls being removed, do you still feel that way today? Or have you softened/changed your stance recently?

Thanks!
    The waterfalls and the new Monorail slides/Tangaroa Terrace complex are both very high-quality, "Disney" offerings. I think it's a shame the waterfalls had to go and that much of the space left by them is seating area for a swimming pool and a wedding lawn, but the cohesiveness and freshness of the new offerings are great and were much-needed.

I think the waterfalls could have worked as part of the remodel, had there been enough space for them. They would have jived well with the theme of the Frontier Tower and could have gotten some much-needed TLC and a re-fresh to mesh with the new offerings. But I understand there wasn't enough space and they did what they felt needed to be done.

I was really worried that the Disneyland Hotel remodel would look like lipstick on an old pig. But, it's really done a good job breathing a lot of new life into the Disneyland Hotel property. They did a good job. I don't think the new offerings are better than the waterfalls, but I also don't think the waterfalls were better than the new offerings. They're both great for different reasons, and like I said, it's too bad they couldn't co-exist somehow.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    The following question isn't a "slam," nor is it meant to come off as sarcastic or "snarky."

For those of you who have either been to the Disneyland Hotel in person recently or who have seen the renovation photos, and were upset/angry/sad/disappointed/irked/mad/etc. about the waterfalls being removed, do you still feel that way today? Or have you softened/changed your stance recently?

Thanks!
    As for the specific question, yes, I still feel that the loss of the waterfalls was a negative that has NOT been replaced by any of the "enhancements".

That's not to say that everything was bad. The Tangora Terrace was a nice change, but not necessarily that much better than Hooks. The bridge across the pool area is a nice benefit. But outside of that, nothing else is really worthwhile. The waterslide is a cheap off-the-shelf structure with Disneyland stuck on the top and Monorail shells (pointed in the wrong direction) stuck on it. The rest of the expanse is just more concrete and less theming.

I'll be surprised if they ever fill even half the poolside lounges they will be laying out to fill the space.

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    What, you don't think the already existing "Disneyland Sign and Monorail Water Slide" nearby an Adventureland Dining complex and barely working geysers isn't already a "random collection of icons" for the courtyard? Not to mention that Fantasy Tower doesn't really have anything in that central area yet.
    Of course the slide is an icon but if you read the conversation the previous posts I said that having more icons representing attractions would be a bit too much and make the area look tacky. The sign and slide with monorail is one element that sits at the end of the courtyard. The whole area is lushly landscaped and this one central icon serves as a bookend to the area.

As for the geyser, not sure what the problem is with that it is hardly noticeable unless you are standing in the area next to it and it blends into the landscape nicely. It's a much more subtle element instead of a replica of space mountain or Indiana jones ruins right outside of the main lobby.

---------- Post added 10-24-2011 at 10:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BuenaVista28 View Post
    Ok well I think even more subtle references could have worked. For example some iron work on the fences giving a nod to a classic e ticket at Disneyland (maybe having the Eye of Mara in the iron work of the fences around the pool?), or having the tile in the pool match the Haunted Mansion wallpaper. These are just random ideas, but my point is that more could have been done. They could add more "e ticket" to the pool without being gawdy or tacky.

Aside from Trader Sams, the rest of the rennovation has left the hotel kind of bland. The towers are just big blue boxes with no exterior differences between the towers, the new E ticket pool is pretty much devoid of any themeing, etc. It all just seems very bland and sterile in my opinion, in pretty disappointed to be honest.

Now that would be different and would have added small touches of detail to the pool area that fit with the name.

I was also concern about how The elimination of the Peter pan pool area would affect the look of the hotel central court but seeing it in person the changes are for the better. It may look like the elimination of the character pieces and the remodeling added more concrete but in actuality it did not add much more. The large set pieces were replaced with lush landscaping and in the case of the ship replaced with a a couple more seats and a nice bridge and planter. The removal of the large skull which used to serve as part of the slide and make the area look clutteredhas allowed them to add lush landscaping and also open up the area to expose the new rethemed tower in the background.

Here is an aerial photo of the area before the remodel. Redirect Notice

Note the areas once occupied by the set pieces.

The area that had the ship surrounded by concrete is turning into seating area but it allowed them to add another section of water right next to whe the ship was that was previously dead space.
    Comparing but the old and new area the amount of concrete area changed very little they left pretty much the same seating area around the pool. The planters were redone to remove the dated look and added lots of rock work and more tropical landscaping.
    Last edited by Baloo; 10-24-2011 at 09:22 PM.

• Shiver Me Knee Caps

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    They finally cleaned the lanterns at Tomorrowland Station. They were getting pretty nasty looking:

I never really noticed the Tomorrowland Station lanterns but they look totally old fashioned and out of place for being in a "futuristic" train station don't they??

• (Not a) New User

Quote Originally Posted by Dick O Dell View Post
    I never really noticed the Tomorrowland Station lanterns but they look totally old fashioned and out of place for being in a "futuristic" train station don't they??
    Yes, but so does the whole land

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Heck so does the prescence of the train in general but eh doesn't bother me. That whole land is just a hodge-podge mess. I just posted in another thread about theming and talked about the reason that I visit the DLR is mostly to escape and enjoy the scenery. The theming, buildings, landscaping, and atmosphere becomes an attraction in and of itself. Then it occured to me why I honestly never really go to Tomorrowland (except to go on Star Tours but then I'm right out again, I even go the back way to get to the Monorail if needed)...it's because it just isn't an enjoyable land, IMO, to be in. There's no continuity and it feels jumbled and it's just a mess. I've never really been a big proponent of Tomorrowland redo but realizing this I do think something needs to be done.

• Minion

I saw on the webcam that the top of the castle has snow seriously cant wait til Christmas time at the DLR

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

Step into the Magic
    Watch the stories come alive
    Step into the Magic
    Every color shines so bright
    Step into the Magic!!!!

-Disneyland Forever Fireworks

• Future Imagineer

The covered walkway in front of the main DIsneyland Hotel lobby is blocked and torn up.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Does anyone know what day the Christmas parade filming is?

Nov 4-6 is what another sit is saying based on travel discounts for the dance groups supposed to be performing there.

when I go to the park before the rope drop, I usually go to the bakery for coffee and something to eat. when the Jolly Holiday Bakery opens does anyone know if the plan is to move the rope drop or offer these items at another location?

• Minion

Some iasw shots from today:

---------- Post added 10-29-2011 at 11:05 PM ----------

and a couple from PotC:

---------- Post added 10-29-2011 at 11:24 PM ----------

A couple peeks at the bakery:

Another look at the snow machines. If anyone is interested, I found the manufacturer, and the website has a nice article about the snow in Disney parks:
    Special Effects Fake Snow Machines : fake snow machine effects : Artificial Snow Events : FX Simulated Snow Effects : Snowmasters evaporating snow machines : Florida Theme park style snow flurries : Texas Evaporative Snow Machine party Rental : Groun

And what looks like some very big strobes:

You know, seeing the snow on the castle and stuff and how festive it looks, I really wish they would extend the snow to all the Fantasyland buildings in the Castle courtyard (so Toad, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, maybe Village Haus.

• Insomniac

^^ that would be amazing!!! It is kind of odd how the castle is the only building with snow (other than the Matterhorn). I've always thought how cool it would be to have carolers who walk around Fantasyland and make stops at certain locations to sing Christmas carols.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862