Page 51 of 104 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461101 ... LastLast

Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    I'm mainly speaking on behalf of younger children who don't celebrate Christmas. I'm Jewish, and I remember feeling left out this time of year when I was younger. From experience, those types of references can be excluding to young children.
    Understood. But Disneyland is a private business selling a product to willing customers who flock to the park in December mainly because Disneyland decorates and mega-celebrates Christmas with special attractions, parades, fireworks, decorations, restaurant menus, merchandise, etc. There are far more parents with children who feel included, than parents who allow their children to feel excluded when going out in public in December.

And reflecting back on Al Lutz' update last week, the demographics of who the Disneyland audience is tells the story. Jews are a tiny minority in North America and the Pacific Rim countries that Disneyland markets to.

Percent of Jewish Citizens by Country circa 2010:

United States - 1.7%
    Canada - 1.1%
    Australia - 0.3%
    New Zealand - 0.1%
    Mexico - 0.04%

And it's even lower than Mexico's super tiny 0.04% in other major Disneyland markets like Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, etc.

The other big religion that doesn't do Christmas isn't really that big when you look at it statistically; Islam and Muslims.

Muslim citizens by country circa 2010:

United States - 0.8%
    Canada - 2.0%
    Mexico - 0.1%
    Australia - 1.7%
    New Zealand - 0.9%

I would think with statistics like that, a young Jewish or Muslim child growing up in North America would feel left out over a lot of things in life, not just decorations and Christmas carols being sung at Disneyland in December (leaving out the elephant in the room; The Disneyland Candlelight Ceremony the first weekend in December).

Wal-Mart employees are now wearing green and red buttons stating "Ask Me About Christmas Layaway!". It's simply that time of year, and the overwhelmingly vast majority of consumers who are interested in a Disneyland visit in December aren't offended by the theme of Christmas. It's why all the malls and stores are decorated now, too.

Disneyland has openly celebrated Christmas every year since December, 1955. Christmas, in the form of theme park decorations and seasonal entertainment, has been a core part of Disneyland's product as they market it to specific customer demographics since the very beginning. To her credit, Disneyland President Cynthia Harriss, who is Jewish, was the one who really went after the Christmas market whole hog during her executive tenure from 1998 to 2003. Cynthia was at the helm and added the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay to Mansion, the Believe! In Holiday Magic fireworks with snowy finale set to I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas, beefed up Christmas decorations throughout the park and at DCA, etc. etc.

The "elephant in the room" IS the Candlelight Procession - it's a pretty big deal......

I was able to perform in it 3 times in my youth, my Mother performed in it twice (in her youth)...... It is a pretty religious "show" and TDA makes a pretty big deal out of it....... But if you examine the "set-list" and the "script" it's all pretty religious songs....

It's tradition - and I rather like it, if others don't, they can make a consumer choice and not attend during the holidays - the park is still open the other 51 weekends of the year that don't include the Candlelight Procession, but for many, it's a cherished memory or holiday experience.

DL is already pretty tolerant anyway, think of Gay Days, those who oppose them are also free to make their own consumer's choice and not attend on those days either. Crazy thing is, my cousin (who's rather evangelical) will not allow her children to visit DL or even watch Disney films because Disney offers benefits to partners in same-sex relationships.....

There's too much divisiveness in this whole thing - if Christmas at DL isn't your thing or makes you uncomfortable, don't go, if Gay Days (even though GD isn't officially sponsored by the WDC) aren't your thing and make you uncomfortable, don't go. What about Bat Days? - but doesn't everyone at least deserve to experience the "magic" at a time of their choosing if they so desire? If one particular event isn't to your liking, postpone your trip for a week or two.

• Done waiting!!

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    No, no filming today. Not only is it a safety hazard for the performers, but it ruins the illusion of the entire parade being filmed live on Christmas Day. As someone else mentioned, it would look obviously fake if it was sunny and they cut to a scene with rain pouring down.
    It'd be funny if it rained on Christmas Day in WDW.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• Fireworks Finatic!

The illusion is already ruined when you see no Christmas decorations on Main St buildings during the parade portions. So kind of doubt they are worried about that. Plus they never claim it's "Live" during the broadcast on the 25th..

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    No, no filming today. Not only is it a safety hazard for the performers, but it ruins the illusion of the entire parade being filmed live on Christmas Day. As someone else mentioned, it would look obviously fake if it was sunny and they cut to a scene with rain pouring down.
    No but Christina Aguilera did perform in the lobby of the Grand Californian this afternoon.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    No but Christina Aguilera did perform in the lobby of the Grand Californian this afternoon.
    I believe that hotels are the "plan B" if there is rain on a filming day. Either last year or the year before, Celine Dion performed in the lobby of the Grand Floridian for the parade due to rain, I believe.

I wasn't able to go but my bf said the performance was chill induing and the atmosphere in the lobby beautiful

• Minion

This morning when i looked at the matter cam they finally started putting the icicles on the castle

dlxmas by michael808702, on Flickr

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Minion

Link over at the DCA thread on pictures of the Mater's Junkyard Jamboree wait sign points towards Mermaids being added to Pirates.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• We Go On.

^I saw that. Caught me off guard.

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Link over at the DCA thread on pictures of the Mater's Junkyard Jamboree wait sign points towards Mermaids being added to Pirates.
    The mermaids are rumors. Pay them no heed.
    Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield...will be quite operational...when your friends arrive.

The turnstile CM's debuted their new uniforms. I saw them today. They are better than the last but still kind of meh. Colors are vivid and love the Mickey on the buttons. The Jackets are also nice. Hopefully someone can get pics of them soon.

• Future Indy Castmember

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    Sexy! Reminds me of the Contemporary at WDW for some reason. Love those LEDs!

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    Not sure if I like it or not. I think I'll have to see it in person to decide. Kinda reminds me of Tron. Love the color, but it could be in any nice hotel - doesn't look Disneylike.