Page 81 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3156717879808182838491 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1553

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

I certainly understand and respect the history of Disneyland... Of course I do, I love Disneyland with my very heart and soul. This place makes me truly happy. I am also someone who has only been on two vacations to Disneyland in my life, I live in Canada, and I just appreciate the fact that the park exists.

Maybe I have a different perspective, but I wish with my very soul that Disneyland was up here so I could experience it more frequently. With that, I am way more lenient with changes I guess. I understand why they need to happen, I understand why they are happening. I would be grateful just to be near enough to the park to witness these changes.

In the end, Disneyland is always going to be an amazing, magical place, with a HUGE dedicated fan base. We all have opinions, and emotions regarding this park. No one is right or wrong. But, for me, this seems like a smart move by Disney. An incredible use of a tiny amount of space.

Wouldn't you say the entire point of history is to remember, but also to move forward? We cannot dwell in the past, and sometimes it is okay to move forward and grow. If we lived in the past there would be a lot of women with huge restrictions, a lack of rights, and bomb drills constantly. We remember our past, our history, we respect it, but we move forward from it. We grow.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I certainly understand and respect the history of Disneyland... Of course I do, I love Disneyland with my very heart and soul. This place makes me truly happy. I am also someone who has only been on two vacations to Disneyland in my life, I live in Canada, and I just appreciate the fact that the park exists.

Maybe I have a different perspective, but I wish with my very soul that Disneyland was up here so I could experience it more frequently. With that, I am way more lenient with changes I guess. I understand why they need to happen, I understand why they are happening. I would be grateful just to be near enough to the park to witness these changes.

In the end, Disneyland is always going to be an amazing, magical place, with a HUGE dedicated fan base. We all have opinions, and emotions regarding this park. No one is right or wrong. But, for me, this seems like a smart move by Disney. An incredible use of a tiny amount of space.

Wouldn't you say the entire point of history is to remember, but also to move forward? We cannot dwell in the past, and sometimes it is okay to move forward and grow. If we lived in the past there would be a lot of women with huge restrictions, a lack of rights, and bomb drills constantly. We remember our past, our history, we respect it, but we move forward from it. We grow.
    See, now this is not directed personally at you Disney Analyst, I have appreciated your thoughtful insights on many occasions. But when some people who have not been to Disneyland but a couple of times (and I'm sure there are many) tell some of us who have been going to the park for decades to "Get over it, it's progress" just truly don't get where we are coming from. Sure, history can be re-lived through memories but why not embrace it and enhance it once and awhile instead of the all-out marketing money grab?
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Dive ..... Dive.....

You can say all you want that you appreciate and respect the history of Disneyland, but actions speak louder than words. You cannot possibly grasp the historical aspect of this park and then in the same sentence call for its destruction in favor of the latest fad. I have no doubt that you guys like and care for the park very dearly but lets be honest, many of you would bulldoze existing areas in favor of new concepts no matter how significant the historical loss would be. As was stated by an earlier post, not even Main Street or the castle would be off limits from your list of "progress."

There is another thing that I must be quite blunt about; I take issue with the fact that someone who has visited the park a mere 2 times over his lifetime is trying to invalidate the ideas of someone who has been over 200 times and has studied Disneyland history over his whole life. That would be like a student trying to tell someone in the field with 30 years of experience that he grasps the topic better.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 04-19-2012 at 01:24 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    See, now this is not directed personally at you Disney Analyst, I have appreciated your thoughtful insights on many occasions. But when some people who have not been to Disneyland but a couple of times (and I'm sure there are many) tell some of us who have been going to the park for decades to "Get over it, it's progress" just truly don't get where we are coming from. Sure, history can be re-lived through memories but why not embrace it and enhance it once and awhile instead of the all-out marketing money grab?
    I've been going frequently for decades and I completely agree with Disney Analyst. I get where you're coming from, I think anyone would with any background. But from a practical perspective it's clearly a superior solution to use this small, underutilized space to expand Fantasyland and then re-open the theater. Ignoring an obvious practical truth for pure nostalgia makes little sense.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

If I could visit 200 times, I obviously would. But after being a member of this site for years, studying websites, images, and the history, I really do believe I am allowed to have my opinion, and state what I believe. Yes, you have been many more times then me, but you cannot discount how I feel, what I know, and the things I have taught myself. Technically my trip last January was a full week, so if we really want to count the number of times I have entered the front gates of Disneyland, including my original trip, it would probably be about 16-17 times.

I understand this is a hard subject, this space has value to many of you. But again, this space is changing, it is happening, and it will soon hold value for a whole new generation, and then in 50 years when they possibly decide to change it again, that generation will probably be just as upset.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I've been going frequently for decades and I completely agree with Disney Analyst. I get where you're coming from, I think anyone would with any background. But from a practical perspective it's clearly a superior solution to use this small, underutilized space to expand Fantasyland and then re-open the theater. Ignoring an obvious practical truth for pure nostalgia makes little sense.
    If anything the fact that the theme is still just as valid as Main Street and could attract large amount of guests is ignoring the obvious. By simply adding unique food service and entertainment, it could revitalize this neglected area. Bulldozing and starting from scratch is not necessary to achieve your utilization goal. A simple solution is to utilize the abandoned Skyway chalet and build a ramp for wheelchairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    If I could visit 200 times, I obviously would. But after being a member of this site for years, studying websites, images, and the history, I really do believe I am allowed to have my opinion, and state what I believe. Yes, you have been many more times then me, but you cannot discount how I feel, what I know, and the things I have taught myself. Technically my trip last January was a full week, so if we really want to count the number of times I have entered the front gates of Disneyland, including my original trip, it would probably be about 16-17 times.

I understand this is a hard subject, this space has value to many of you. But again, this space is changing, it is happening, and it will soon hold value for a whole new generation, and then in 50 years when they possibly decide to change it again, that generation will probably be just as upset.
    If you feel that reading posts on a Disneyland discussion board can replace actually experiencing the park over a lifetime, that is silly. Not saying you don't have helpful and enjoyable insight, but historical connection and nostalgia is something you have to experience in person from a young age to understand. I hope you take this into consideration and see where I'm coming from.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 04-19-2012 at 01:06 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    If anything the fact that the theme is still just as valid as Main Street and could attract large amount of guests is ignoring the obvious. By simply adding unique food service and entertainment, it could revitalize this neglected area. Bulldozing and starting from scratch is not necessary to achieve your utilization goal.

If you feel that reading posts on a Disneyland discussion board can replace actually experiencing the park over a lifetime, that is silly. Not saying you don't have a valid opinion in many cases, but historical connection and nostalgia is something you have to experience in person from a young age to understand.
    Sure, the Main Street theme still is valid and works, but we're not talking about abstractions here. There's a number of reasons your suggestion is less practical. First, there's the huge FL theater space, which already exists, and could easily entertain several thousand guests a day. There's little need for another restaurant in that location with the new bakery right across the way. (Personally, a return of the Tahitian Terrace would be a much more welcomed restaurant to bring back.)

Then in terms of theme, sure Main Street is great, but there's so much more potential in the Fantasyland theme and there's many characters and films that fans would like to see that there's not currently space for. The combination of the theater and the new festival area will provide much more opportunity to feature other characters which don't have rides, and create new entertainment based on old or new properties. While that might not be my or your cup of tea, you seem to ignore that it will make the park more enjoyable for most guests.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Folks, we need to lose all the personal asides that have cropped up in the most recent posts. Discuss the subject, not who is better qualified or who has the "correct" take on this subject because of their life experience. This is to be a discussion about ideas, not how members rank in their credibility. Over the line into personal attacks by our rules, and we're going to need to do some pruning if you cannot all get this ship back on course, at once!

Thanks for your help!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Sure, the Main Street theme still is valid and works, but we're not talking about abstractions here. There's a number of reasons your suggestion is less practical. First, there's the huge FL theater space, which already exists, and could easily entertain several thousand guests a day. There's little need for another restaurant in that location with the new bakery right across the way. (Personally, a return of the Tahitian Terrace would be a much more welcomed restaurant to bring back.)

Then in terms of theme, sure Main Street is great, but there's so much more potential in the Fantasyland theme and there's many characters and films that fans would like to see that there's not currently space for. The combination of the theater and the new festival area will provide much more opportunity to feature other characters which don't have rides, and create new entertainment based on old or new properties. While that might not be my or your cup of tea, you seem to ignore that it will make the park more enjoyable for most guests.
    You also seem to ignore the fact that I have provided a logical solution to achieve the very same level of enjoyment. This idea that the Carnation Plaza Gardens is the only area in the entire park that is usable for a meet and greet couldn't be further from the truth. We have the Skyway chalet, Big Thunder Ranch staging area, and multiple areas around Autopia. If anything my plan has more diverse entertainment and caters to many demographics, not just children, all while maintaining the historical aspects of the park.

The fact that the Tiki Room Dole Whip stand is overflowing with guests on a constant basis with waits well over 45 minutes tells me that the market for unique ice cream is not over saturated at all.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 04-19-2012 at 01:39 PM.

• Senior Minion

You also seem to ignore the fact that I have provided a logical solution to achieve the very same level of enjoyment. This idea that the Carnation Plaza Gardens is the only area in the entire park that is usable for a meet and greet couldn't be further from the truth. If anything my plan has more diverse entertainment and caters to many demographics besides children while maintaining the historical aspects of the park. The fact that the Tiki Room Dole Whip stand is overflowing with guests on a constant basis with waits well over 45 min, this tells me that the market for ice cream is not saturated at all.
    I'm not ignoring your point, I just think that this will provide a greater level of enjoyment to more guests of all ages. Certainly there are other places it could have gone, but I think that this is a smart use of space and completely understand why everyone signed off on the plan. There's just far more reasons to expand FL vs. MS. I also think that the actual stage of the former CPG will remain a stage, so essentially they're keeping the most historic aspect of the location. And Dole Whips are a unique and nostalgic thing, but they're already expanding the MS ice cream location and adding two new ice cream locations in DCA, it doesn't seem we really need more ice cream.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Yep, count me in too! I been going for decades since the age of 5. I've gone dozens more time than my signature let on, just too lazy to change it lol. Anyway, I'm in the 'change and change often camp'. I highly doubt when Walt Disney built the place, he didnt see it staying in one permanent phase HE changed quite a bit of it in the 10 years he was around. Cant imagine 40 years later. I understand fans who want to see what made it popular and nostalgic to stay in some places, I think most of us cant argue with that. But the problem is when touching ANY of it that is older than 20 years old is suddenly like touching national monument or an historical landmark from what is a theme park, then you got a problem.

I remember when the huge argument came for putting the art gallery where it is today and people acted like the parks soul was being sucked out! And they werent replacing it with a famous shop or ride or an exhibit! It was an AP processing center lol! It had NOTHING to do with the rich history of the park. But for some, it USE to be a bank from the 90s, so the processing center should stay over an actual exhibit or attraction just because. THIS is the problem.

I do agree to an extent that SOME things shouldnt be touched and they wont. No one is going to ever bulldoze the castle and MS. Thats quintessential DL. On the opposite end, if people are going to go crazy everytime they change out a shop, then forget bigger areas that have simply lost its popularity, DL will always feel like a museum. Anyway, my belief in the 'change often' category comes from my own mother. She's 62 now, been going to DL since the second year it opened and has gone nearly every year since. She LOVES when DL changes! To her, its also just common sense. You change as your audiences change over the decades. I know older fans wants things like how they grew up, but thats not a great business move, as your audiences likes new things, you change and adapt to that audience. Thats how most businesses stays in business and that includes Disney, even if we dont all agree with it.

Anyway sorry for the rant lol. I know its a tracker, so will say the Matterhorn changes looks great! BTW, I was told the map at the DL hotel would be animated? But I went there not too long ago and its pretty obvious its just a map printed on a huge plywood. Was the decision axed or was it just a rumor that didnt pan out? It looks good eitherway though!
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 04-19-2012 at 01:53 PM.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Well, then would you bulldoze Dodger Stadium since it's an obvious practical truth that it is antiquated? Or would you keep it and enhance it and see it to another 50 years?
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Dive ..... Dive.....

I'm not ignoring your point, I just think that this will provide a greater level of enjoyment to more guests of all ages. Certainly there are other places it could have gone, but I think that this is a smart use of space and completely understand why everyone signed off on the plan. There's just far more reasons to expand FL vs. MS. I also think that the actual stage of the former CPG will remain a stage, so essentially they're keeping the most historic aspect of the location. And Dole Whips are a unique and nostalgic thing, but they're already expanding the MS ice cream location and adding two new ice cream locations in DCA, it doesn't seem we really need more ice cream.
    If it catered to a wider demographic of guests, why are there so many people angry about this? I invite you to go visit Disneyland's facebook page and see the thousands of posts who would disagree.

You say that adding a new ice cream shop on Buena Vista Street is going to take away demand on Main Street? If that were the case, how come when the former DCA ice cream shop was open it had no effect on Dole Whips or the Main Street ice cream parlor? Far as I remember, there was a line out the door on Main Street. Even with these new additions, one more stand with a unique kind of ice cream is not going to saturate this highly demanding environment. As it stands, even the frozen yogurt place by California Screamin has a gigantic line every day.

The fact of the matter is, people usually choose whichever stand is closer within reason. If the new stands are at DCA, a DL visitor generally will not bypass their nearest stand and walk all the way to DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    I do agree to an extent that SOME things shouldnt be touched and they wont. No one is going to ever bulldoze the castle and MS. Thats quintessential DL. On the opposite end, if people are going to go crazy everytime they change out a shop, then forget bigger areas that have simply lost its popularity, DL will always feel like a museum.
    Um.... This is not some ordinary shop, Walt Disney and his wife used to dance here all the time. Famous singers and artists would come here to perform. People who danced here 50 years ago are still doing so today. No one is arguing that the park should remain stagnant, there are billions of other areas I would be totally in favor of them changing. You also say that MS is quintessential Disneyland, guess what, Carnation Plaza Gardens is very much apart of that. Just because you don't go swing dancing doesn't make this area any less historic. Why do you think such a valuable piece of real estate was left alone for so long, that's not a coincidence?
    Last edited by Seawolf; 04-19-2012 at 02:05 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Well, then would you bulldoze Dodger Stadium since it's an obvious practical truth that it is antiquated? Or would you keep it and enhance it and see it to another 50 years?
    This is not the same at all. The question is if you had a small kids act currently performing in Dodger Stadium, would you move them into a historic old theater and modernize it so that you could also modernize Dodger Stadium and move the Dodger's back in there? my answer is yes.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

If it catered to a wider demographic of guests, why are there so many people angry about this? I invite you to go visit Disneyland's facebook page and see the thousands of posts who would disagree.
    No offense, but if you are talking about people who are on boards like this complaining about it, you are most likely talking about an audience who is in the vast minority to the millions of people who go to these parks and just like to see new stuff. I'm not saying their opinions arent valid, of course they are and I think Disney listens. But end of the day, they dont represent the vast theme park audience, like people hear doesnt represent the vast theme park audience, simply a certain sector of it. You cant base your business on what a few hundred or a few thousand will say....ESPECIALLY if you know the same people complaining will still be going anyway.

I always think it is funny the people who complain the most spend the most time there. Again, NOT that thats a problem, but it speaks to one underlying truth: Regardless of what people may hate about the place, it still has lots of charm and a well quality place that you are always going to find more things that you love than hate.

But things like FFF, particular shops, the wires in BVS, etc, these are small things at the end of the day and the people complaining about them now will adapt and not think twice about it in a few years time. No one remotely cares about the art gallery now as its been sitting on MS for nearly 3 years now. At the time though, you wouldve thought a massive boycott was going to happen lol. Nothing happened, they let their voices be heard why they didnt like the idea, it opened and as predicted, most either liked it when they actually saw the change or adapted to the idea over time.

Same will happen here...in time!