Page 90 of 104 FirstFirst ... 40658087888990919293100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1553
  1. #1336

    • Disney Fan 4 Life
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Close to San Diego
    Posts
    644

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    Do they still have Esmeralda telling fortunes? That is a family tradition since I started going to the park as a child.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955


    View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

  2. #1337

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    1,276

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    I think that is what the white window on the extreme right of this pic is for:

    That pic isn't showing up for me.


    And I was also wondering about Esmeralda. Please tell me she's still there?!



    ETA: Oh, and since I'm here, I'd just like to say that I'm liking the design of the new bobsleds. LOVE the color! However, it appears they didn't add more padding to the seats. That was one thing I was really hoping for!
    Last edited by Diznygrl; 05-02-2012 at 10:54 AM.

  3. #1338

    • "I don't like the color"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    Quote Originally Posted by WildForMrToad View Post
    It's all about progress right? Opens up the area so more shoppers can spend money. Oh, and if they get rid of the Penny Arcade machines no big deal since they are not a big money maker. And besides, who needs history anyways....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

  4. #1339

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,251

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    Do they still have Esmeralda telling fortunes? That is a family tradition since I started going to the park as a child.
    Another posts says that she is still there as well as some of the film machines and the 'make Pinocchio dance'.
    _____________________________________
    Brian Kolm the Atomic Bear - comics, cartoons, artwork and instruction.
    http://www.atomicbearpress.com

  5. #1340

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    447

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    It's all about progress right? Opens up the area so more shoppers can spend money. Oh, and if they get rid of the Penny Arcade machines no big deal since they are not a big money maker. And besides, who needs history anyways....
    Option A: leave Penny Arcade as is, deal with space issue for other bits of Main Street (bits that generate far more income than the Penny arcade).
    Option B: remove Penny Arcade, use space for more shopping.
    Option C: Compromise between Option A and B

    We got Option C. Option B was the worst one: I'm glad that's not what happened. I guess Option A would be better than Option C in a perfect world, but there are space/business considerations.

    In all honesty I think the Penny Arcade was great decoration, but it served as almost nothing but decor at this point. Even in 1955 the Penny Arcade, while "old fashioned" was still a novel draw as arcade games and home video still did not exist. The Penny Arcade provided a very legitmate draw for people in the 1950s, beyond just being a historical curiosity. Flash-forward to 2012 where videogames and movies are on our cell phones, and the Arcade instantly becomes pure historical curiosity but not a legitimate draw. The Penny Arcade was no longer serving its dual-purpose (unlike, say, the Railroad which is both historical and genuinely enjoyable, even today).

    I feel like the best move would have been:

    Option D: replace Penny Arcade with a new period appropriate Exhibit/Attraction. What, I'm not sure. Vaudeville style show? intricate puppet/animatronic thing like young Walt used to build? But something that is both historical *and* genuinely an attraction to people, not just a bunch of machines that are historically interesting but few people ever bother with them.

  6. #1341

    • Johnny and Me!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    23 miles from Disneyland
    Posts
    3,350

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    More pictures of the "new and improved" Penny Arcade have been posted here:

    First Look at Main Street's new Gibson Girl Ice Cream, Candy Palace and Penny Arcade

    There are less machines, but the ones that were removed were the more modern ones; the penny smashing machines have been scattered around DL. What remains has either been pushed to the front of the store or sandwiched between the shelves.

  7. #1342

    • "I don't like the color"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    Quote Originally Posted by WED View Post
    Option A: leave Penny Arcade as is, deal with space issue for other bits of Main Street (bits that generate far more income than the Penny arcade).
    Option B: remove Penny Arcade, use space for more shopping.
    Option C: Compromise between Option A and B

    We got Option C. Option B was the worst one: I'm glad that's not what happened. I guess Option A would be better than Option C in a perfect world, but there are space/business considerations.

    In all honesty I think the Penny Arcade was great decoration, but it served as almost nothing but decor at this point. Even in 1955 the Penny Arcade, while "old fashioned" was still a novel draw as arcade games and home video still did not exist. The Penny Arcade provided a very legitmate draw for people in the 1950s, beyond just being a historical curiosity. Flash-forward to 2012 where videogames and movies are on our cell phones, and the Arcade instantly becomes pure historical curiosity but not a legitimate draw. The Penny Arcade was no longer serving its dual-purpose (unlike, say, the Railroad which is both historical and genuinely enjoyable, even today).

    I feel like the best move would have been:

    Option D: replace Penny Arcade with a new period appropriate Exhibit/Attraction. What, I'm not sure. Vaudeville style show? intricate puppet/animatronic thing like young Walt used to build? But something that is both historical *and* genuinely an attraction to people, not just a bunch of machines that are historically interesting but few people ever bother with them.
    Watch out what you ask for because Disneyland's Penny Arcade could very well end up like WDW's.....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

  8. #1343

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    447

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Watch out what you ask for because Disneyland's Penny Arcade could very well end up like WDW's.....
    When did I ask for something like this? I said I was happy the Arcade was not removed completely (a la WDW) but think that overall some Victorian *attraction* (not a shop) replacing the Penny Arcade would be the best move.

    I think the logic is that space needs to generate revenue or at least interest. Contrast the Penny Arcade with the shooting gallery, for instance. Penny Arcade became more shop-like with time, but the shooting gallery didn't go anywhere as it's still relatively popular and takes in more profit than the Penny Arcade ever did.

    It doesn't have to be an either/or thing when it comes to profit vs. theming. I feel like they didn't know how to make the Penny Arcade more interesting so they just combined it with shop space to at least make it more profitable. instead, they could have just scrapped the Arcade concept completely and went with some new Victorian style attraction rather than a Penny Arcade, one that would generate more interest. The shop compromise was the easy way out: no new attraction idea needed and yet less offensive to fans than simply removing the arcade completely in favor of a shop.

  9. #1344

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    That pic isn't showing up for me.


    And I was also wondering about Esmeralda. Please tell me she's still there?!



    ETA: Oh, and since I'm here, I'd just like to say that I'm liking the design of the new bobsleds. LOVE the color! However, it appears they didn't add more padding to the seats. That was one thing I was really hoping for!
    "This is where purists may have a hard time. They have taken the Starcade approach here and used the arcade as a themeing element rather than an actual experience. The penny arcade movies are still here, Esmerelda still tells fortunes, and the organ still plays. But they have all been sidelined by a larger cash wrap, a new larger case for pastries, cookies and candies and the like. Regardless, the detail here is top-notch work. Really quite beautiful."

    link to quote:First Look at Main Street's new Gibson Girl Ice Cream, Candy Palace and Penny Arcade

  10. #1345

    • "I don't like the color"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    Quote Originally Posted by WED View Post
    When did I ask for something like this? I said I was happy the Arcade was not removed completely (a la WDW) but think that overall some Victorian *attraction* (not a shop) replacing the Penny Arcade would be the best move.

    I think the logic is that space needs to generate revenue or at least interest. Contrast the Penny Arcade with the shooting gallery, for instance. Penny Arcade became more shop-like with time, but the shooting gallery didn't go anywhere as it's still relatively popular and takes in more profit than the Penny Arcade ever did.

    It doesn't have to be an either/or thing when it comes to profit vs. theming. I feel like they didn't know how to make the Penny Arcade more interesting so they just combined it with shop space to at least make it more profitable. instead, they could have just scrapped the Arcade concept completely and went with some new Victorian style attraction rather than a Penny Arcade, one that would generate more interest. The shop compromise was the easy way out: no new attraction idea needed and yet less offensive to fans than simply removing the arcade completely in favor of a shop.
    Sorry, it wasn't necessarily towards you, I do however like the "D" option although I kinda believe that if all the machines were still there that were removed during the Pressler reign of terror the Arcade would still be viable as entertainment.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

  11. #1346

    • Dave
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Monterey Bay Area
    Posts
    2,923
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    With all the new stuff going in around the resort it amazes me that Primevil World and the Grand Canyon have yet to be included in any new upgrades. At least for me they are in my top five favorite attractions in the whole park. It just seems with all the new technology they could find away to really boast up the ride while still keeping the murals and beutiful backgrounds. I am sure those dinos and other animals that inhabit the area are at least 50 years old. I think some of the dust in there might be just as old.
    Last edited by bigwavedave; 05-03-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    Dave

  12. #1347

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    With all the new stuff going in around the resort it amazes me that Primevil World and the Grand Canyon have yet to be included in any new upgrades. At least for me they are in my top five favorite attractions in the whole park. It just seems with all the new technology they could find away to really boast up the ride while still keeping the murals and beutiful backgrounds. I am sure those dinos and other animals that inhabit the area are at least 50 years old. I think some of the dust in there might be just as old.
    I think they just did a refresh of Primeval World, I think about 2 years ago now.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  13. #1348

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    16

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    I think the refreshing happened last year, because Primeval World was covered when I went in May 2011.

  14. #1349

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Gibson View Post
    I think the refreshing happened last year, because Primeval World was covered when I went in May 2011.
    Ok, thanks, I thought it might have been a little less then two years, but I didn't realize it was that recent. As you get older sometimes you just assume things were longer ago because everything starts to feel recent.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  15. #1350

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,420

    Re: Disneyland Resort Project Tracker 3

    Does anyone know when the Carnation Cafe is going to reopen on Main Street? I think that is the final project for Main Street.

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Disneyland Resort Project Tracker II
    By MasterGracey in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3917
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 03:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •