Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Travellers Cheques at DLR

Title says it all really...

Are there any places on the resort that accept/cash American Express Travellers Cheques (you Americans spell it 'checks' right?)?

If so, any idea if there are fees involved?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Dreaming of next trip

Re: Travellers Cheques at DLR

I tried to look up the places that accept them but the site was not working.
    But I did find out that Chase has the ATMs in the park and also found this on the Disneyland.com
    "Additional basic banking services and foreign currency exchanges are provided at City Hall in Disneyland Park and the Guest Relations Lobby in Disney California Adventure Park"
    I hope this helps.

• Down Pluto!

I used them several years ago and there was no problem - treated just like cash.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Suspended

You're not only a traveler from a different place but also from a different time!! Like, the 1970's!!

Traveler's Cheques!! lol.
    (You know I'm jesting with you, Nathan, right? Sometimes people get the wrong idea and do horrible things in retaliation. Which they shouldn't.)

Put everything on your credit card. Figure out how to pay for it all when you get home. You might need about $100 in US, for purchases at places that don't accept cards. Plus, you don't have to worry about the extremely high exchange rate conversion cost, twice -- once for converting to US, then one for converting the US back to Lbs.
    Last edited by sediment; 08-16-2011 at 04:19 PM.

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

I know you can use and cash them at the park, but I'm not sure about any fee. You can try sending an email to customer service.

Help Overview | Help Center | Disneyland Resort

Here's another helpful link

Disneyland Vacation Planning, Disneyland Trip Planning

Have a great trip!!!

• Dreaming of next trip

for Him the traveler's cheques are a good idea, the banks like to play games with the exchange rates.
    If I remember correctly he is comming from out side the US.
    Hope you have a great trip Nathan

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by mouseknotts View Post
    for Him the traveler's cheques are a good idea, the banks like to play games with the exchange rates.
    If I remember correctly he is comming from out side the US.
    Hope you have a great trip Nathan
    American Express does the same thing as a bank. And what do you do with the extra cash or Traveler's Cheques?
    With a credit card, it's one exchange, instead of two. Instead of creating a 'have to spend it all or else I'll get bit by the exchange-rate again' mentality.
    My suggestion is to keep the cash/TC's to a minimum.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    You're not only a traveler from a different place but also from a different time!! Like, the 1970's!!

Traveler's Cheques!! lol.
    (You know I'm jesting with you, Nathan, right? Sometimes people get the wrong idea and do horrible things in retaliation. Which they shouldn't.)

Put everything on your credit card. Figure out how to pay for it all when you get home. You might need about $100 in US, for purchases at places that don't accept cards. Plus, you don't have to worry about the extremely high exchange rate conversion cost, twice -- once for converting to US, then one for converting the US back to Lbs.
    It takes more than that to insult me!

The reason I am looking at Travellers Cheques is that my credit card charges 2.95% on all foreign currency purchases (Yes I am from the UK). My bank card charges something like 4% for foreign withdrawals. Apart from taking a suitcase stuffed with greenbacks, Travellers Cheques seem like the way forward.

However I have now discovered that the UK Post Office offers a credit card with free foreign transactions and will investigate this further today...

And I love how you typed 'pounds' as 'lbs'. Made me laugh!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

I would definitely get the Post CC over traveler's checks. When you come here you will be surprised how omni-present CC usage is.

Side note, did you get your Halloween time tickets yet? It is an event NOT to be missed!

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    I used them several years ago and there was no problem - treated just like cash.
    They still should. I believe the confusion over the fact now that most locations aren't accepting personal checks anymore.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Whatever you do, just don't bring foreign cash and try to exchange it at Disneyland, the exchange rates are abysmal because Disney goes through another company that adds in a crazy service charge. Traveler's checks are a great idea though.

• Minion

I use them everytime I go to DL and have never had a problem anywhere, even used them at a cart location. Like Sambo said they are treated just like cash which is the idea only your somewhat protected against theft!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

I always take $US Amex TC's down to Disneyland (from Canada) in addition to a certain amount of cash. It just feels safer to me than a big wad of cash and it helps me budget, because when they're gone - they're gone. It's too easy for me to overspend if I use my credit card.

I have never had any trouble using Traveller's cheques in any of the restaurants or shops in DL and neither have I experienced difficulty in any of the non-Disney restaurants/shops in the resort area. You do need a certain amount of cash for the vendor carts though.

You can cash TC's at City Hall (not sure what the limit is - I cashed $150 one morning on my last trip and they didn't even blink) and the HoJo is amenable to cashing $100 per day when I stay there too.
    I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. He shall be my Squishy - Dory

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    It takes more than that to insult me!

The reason I am looking at Travellers Cheques is that my credit card charges 2.95% on all foreign currency purchases (Yes I am from the UK). My bank card charges something like 4% for foreign withdrawals. Apart from taking a suitcase stuffed with greenbacks, Travellers Cheques seem like the way forward.

However I have now discovered that the UK Post Office offers a credit card with free foreign transactions and will investigate this further today...

And I love how you typed 'pounds' as 'lbs'. Made me laugh!
    No problem. That wasn't just for you but for any overly sensitive person who gets offended enough to click the mouse in a certain place.

Get that other credit card. The spread on the exchange rate should be plenty enough of a charge. (As long as the UKPO isn't overly spreading the exchange rate.)
    They probably screw the one-time traveler, but the frequent travelers demand (and get) low exchange rate spreads.
    What is the Travellers Cheque company charging? What is the exchange rate they are using relative to the current rate or to the rate that the UKPO will be using?

This is the kind of thing that prevents someone like me from traveling abroad.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by John K View Post
    Side note, did you get your Halloween time tickets yet? It is an event NOT to be missed!
    YES! Got 'em! Tuesday 11th October!!!!!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast