Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Question Will Radiator Springs make Autopia obsolete?

So now that we're just under a year away from the Radiator Springs Racers and many feel that Disneyland will become the focus of imagineers again soon, what are your thoughts on the state of Autopia remaining in Tomorrowland. Is it too classic to be removed? does it simply need a more futuristic design? Are the rides different enough to coexist seamlessly? What do you think?

• Minion

Re: Will Radiator Springs make Autopia obsolete?

The only thing they have in common is that you both will sit in cars. That's it. Autopia needs an update and remodel, but RSR won't make it obsolete. They are completely different attractions.

• Closed Account

Hovertopia. Flying saucers tech mixed with autopia driving. that is the only way i will go on that thing

• Lighting Design Lover

Autopia is for children and beloved by them, I think it will never disappear because of that. With RSR there is no driving (which is what children love!)

• -

Two completely different rides catering to different types of people. Well maybe not different types of people, but different rider needs. When a rider is interested in a fast thrill, they will go to Cars Land. When they want to relax on a slow go cart ride that they steer themselves, they can go on Autopia.

Also, remember that Autopia is a place where kids have a chance to drive their own cars whereas the Cars Land ride isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaFan View Post
    Hovertopia. Flying saucers tech mixed with autopia driving. that is the only way i will go on that thing
    I've said it before... Mag Lev technology is the way to go.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Keepin' it calsteady

The two rides don't really impact each other, but I do hope Autopia can be made over with electric vehicles at some point. I imagine keeping the cars charged would be challenging, but eventually technology will overcome that. That said, it still works and kids love it (not sure about the poor CMs working amid the fumes, though), so I'd put it fairly low on the list of attractions to be remodeled right now.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

since Mermaid opens do we REALLY nee the other dark rides?

Besides the ride needing an upgrade no...ones for little kids one is for thrill seekers

I wonder if they could make Autopia into a similar ride that is based on Tron. That would be a fun update that could still give kids the chance to "drive". What I mostly don't like about Autopia is the car fumes and the jerkeyness of acceleration.

• Minion

I've suggested about a dozen times on this forum that they move Autopia over to Carsland and have it intertwine with the other attractions in Carsland. What more appropriate land for Autopia could there be than Carsland? Walt obviously loved having several attractions intertwine and/or utilize the same piece of real estate. And definitely give Autopia electric vehicles already; that should have been done at least 10 years ago. This would free up more space for something new in Tomorrowland - or the conversion of the whole area from the subs north to small world into a new land with an oceanic theme. But as usual, all of my suggestions have fallen on Mickey ears.

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I've suggested about a dozen times on this forum that they move Autopia over to Carsland and have it intertwine with the other attractions in Carsland. What more appropriate land for Autopia could there be than Carsland? Walt obviously loved having several attractions intertwine and/or utilize the same piece of real estate. And definitely give Autopia electric vehicles already; that should have been done at least 10 years ago. This would free up more space for something new in Tomorrowland - or the conversion of the whole area from the subs north to small world into a new land with an oceanic theme. But as usual, all of my suggestions have fallen on Mickey ears.
    Because it would be redundant to a degree. adding a car attraction to carsland seems so logical but I feel just because it's carsland doesn't mean it HAS to have multiple attractions based on driving. the other 2 attractions in Carsland build on the idea of variety with a theme that otherwise seems too narrow. Also why spend the money to move Autopia when it's fine where it is and just can get an update for less?

Again I still say Autopia just needs another update. RSR is more coaster based than car/driving based.

...seriously

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoman View Post
    Because it would be redundant to a degree. adding a car attraction to carsland seems so logical but I feel just because it's carsland doesn't mean it HAS to have multiple attractions based on driving. the other 2 attractions in Carsland build on the idea of variety with a theme that otherwise seems too narrow. Also why spend the money to move Autopia when it's fine where it is and just can get an update for less?

Again I still say Autopia just needs another update. RSR is more coaster based than car/driving based.

...seriously

So the attractions are very different AND it would be redundant to have them both together?

I think Bob's notion of integrating the attractions make a lot of sense. It's good use of space, it keeps an attraction in which kids get to drive a vehicle themselves, it puts that attraction in an appropriate land, and frees up a lot of space in Tomorrowland.

• Workin to live,lovin life

My biggest problem with Autopia is that there isn't anything futuristic about gas fumes. I've always said that it would be easy for Imagineers to develop something that simulates the sound and vibration of combustion engines for a sports car or SUV, but make them all electric. Sure there's the possibility of the sound cutting out like it does on California Screamin, but Autopia needs an update yesterday!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Helping build Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless Abrandon View Post
    My biggest problem with Autopia is that there isn't anything futuristic about gas fumes. I've always said that it would be easy for Imagineers to develop something that simulates the sound and vibration of combustion engines for a sports car or SUV, but make them all electric. Sure there's the possibility of the sound cutting out like it does on California Screamin, but Autopia needs an update yesterday!
    They've done this in HKDL. Cars are electric. However, until the Chevron sponsorship ends, I wouldn't expect any changes. However, once that ends - I would expect Honda to swoop in and sponsor it, and that's a great time to bring electric cars aboard.
    -Monorail Man

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaFan View Post
    Omg I was thinking the same thing! That would be so awsome. Even though autopia is a classic disney acctration, its TOMARROWland ways so futuristic about slow cars xD?
    To all who come to this Happy Place.... WELCOME șoș
    -ig: thelipsticklizz tw:lipsticklizz

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Since they are in different Parks, I don't see one making the other obsolete. It is good to see something so popular as Autopia coming in to DCA and I think it will help the park.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast