Page 21 of 668 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324314671121521 ... LastLast

• Carbon based

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Theme break! That's as bad as if they, for instance, had some new Fantasyland section on the hub!
    Because I'm tired and my sarcasm detector is running low, please tell me you're joking
    Trust me, the designer wasn't happy with having to DO that. But even for that they worked on trying to find a mechanism which would be possible for the time period! Best compromise they could find...

You gotta be joking... yes, you were joking... right?

---------- Post added 08-22-2011 at 12:31 AM ----------

Back to the skidding, here's the explanation as I got it from TWO different Imagineers, including Kevin:

The car don't actually skid because they are connected by TWO arms to the central track. However:
    - The cars are propulsion.
    - The cars have FULLY independent wheels. Both in terms of suspension but also in terms of direction (so each wheel can actually turn differently/independently from one another). This was made necessary by the very tight radius that the car take during the banked turns.
    - Because the cars arrive quite fast and the turn is very pronounced, the front of the car is pushed into the turn while the back is still pushing straight.
    - To support this motion, there's torsion enabled within the car. This is the reason why the back bumper (which stays aligned with the back wheel and bottom of the road) is DETACHED from the rest of the car (look at all the pictures guys )
    - they also added some 'give' to the arms that connect the car to the underlying coaster mechanism that was described and illustrated by Simba (Thx). This is necessary to allow the car to go up and down on some of the bunny hops as well as to allow turn left or right.
    - As you go in the first bank turn, straight out of the racing line, your car grips the road and everything is ok
    - However, as you arrive to Willy's butte, after the long straight (but nowhere near flat!) stretch, you have more speed and because of the quicker turn radius and higher speed, more torsion happens on the BACK of the car.
    - Because the back of the car (propulsion) is still on the straight portion and its independent connection arm and wheels tries to push you straight while the front of the car is diving in the turn, you get a 'subtle yet distinct' (their word) feeling of oversteer or skidding
    - Add the appropriate soundtrack and the illusion is supposed to be compelling.

That's all I've got on this one. Won't know much more until I can ride it

Hope this helps!

Ramon uses the "World of Color system paint system" in CARS 2. That is cool. From youtube video 2/3.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
    A lot of new pics and angles of Cars Land from DisneyGeek:

Check out the forced perspective near the waterfall! Amazing!

Love that shot! Wow, it is going to be so much fun looking around at all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by TreoFred View Post
    Because I'm tired and my sarcasm detector is running low, please tell me you're joking
    Trust me, the designer wasn't happy with having to DO that. But even for that they worked on trying to find a mechanism which would be possible for the time period! Best compromise they could find...

You gotta be joking... yes, you were joking... right?[COLOR="#8b0000"]
    Sorry, yes, I was joking.

• Carbon based

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    I just keep looking over all the concept art and pictures for BVS and reading the details that were all presented this weekend and I can't help but see how this is a new level of Imagineers who either understand more, or have a management that understands more, about the history of what made Disneyland what it is and resonate in the minds of many. It is in the details and the craftsmenship. It's in the stories and overall thought of every level in the experience. I can see that all of this will be coming with BVS and it really is a chance for Imagineers to shine and show they understand how to create something with the emotional connection similar to Main Streets. I love CA history and am more than excited to be walking through the streets of LA in the 1920s/30s. It's something that will be truly magical in a non explicit magical way. I see the level of thought going in to creating an authentic environment for the recognizable time in LA and I hope someday, somewhere in DCA they replicate this commitment and create a San Fransisco that only exist in the history books. One that is living the wealth of the past Gold Rush and in all the glitz, science, exploration, and trade of the 1890's before the big quake. That would also be a truly magical experience for a Disney park. I know long dead Discovery Bay concept for DL played off this time and place for it's environment and I just think a 1890's San Fransisco would be a wonderfully themed addition to DCA and compliment BVS. Where and when, idk just throwing out an idea that I think would be perfect in creating a truly mythical and magical California environment.
    I agree on the commitment. And spending a long long LOOOOOONG time talking to many of them (ok, ok: using and abusing them. Fine. ), I heard so much that was not announced both for this park and others... D23 might have felt empty announcement wise, but those guys have been VERY busy!

BVS was finished A YEAR AGO design wise, and was supposed to be opening, well... now. Why it was delayed (literally moth balled for a year !) is a very interesting discussion and I've heard various explanations of why.

But it's not like ANY of those guys have been out of work in the meantime... far from it... For instance, the interior designer for BVS went on to work on Fantasyland FL (Belle's area) and yet "another project" since

Amazing to hear how much else is ready and just waiting for selection or construction.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Here's Mint's update from Carsland presentation. Some great stuff. So exciting.

Magic Eye

I will say it though...thank goodness John came in and saved DCA with Carsland. The original Carland concept looks just like DCA v 1.0 (enough said). Goofy attraction even looks that way. Just kinda tacky, mismatched, and too much going on. It looks like they are trying to do too much and it just looks non cohesive. John was right in saying DCA didn't need to have another land trying to do too many characters and concepts at once (PP, HPB). Carsland is a definite step up and while it may be themed to just the movie, it definitely is a more cohesive and immersive environment and much better than Carland. Those concept drawings for all the shops and restaurants in Carsland are really gorgeous. Beautiful coloring. Reminds me so much of the beautiful lighting and design in the movie.

---------- Post added 08-22-2011 at 12:47 AM ----------

TreoFred I think I speak for all of us when I say we can't thank you enough! Now about the comment about the FUTURE of Paradise Pier ...

• IPAC

Quote Originally Posted by TreoFred

And spending a long long LOOOOOONG time talking to many of them (ok, ok: using and abusing them. Fine.

and yet "another project" since

Amazing to hear how much else is ready and just waiting for selection or construction.
    i would love to hear everything they told you and are you really going to leave us with that

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

Thanks to everyone that has helped make DCA tracking exciting again. It's such great news. lol But one thing I've been wondering is, what exactly was the problem with the Test Track system and how has it been fixed for RSR?
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

• Carbon based

Quote Originally Posted by ewo1992 View Post
    i would love to hear everything they told you and are you really going to leave us with that
    Actually I am but not because I'm trying to be a tease: I'm really tired exhausted. Just so you know the areas, the main stuff was about DCA (more pier, some Hollywood and some Grizzly Peak). Outside of DCA, quite a bit was actually Paris (which took me till the last day to get anything on.)

Will post again soon! Awesome expo as far as I'm concerned!

Cheers

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ewo1992 View Post
    I want to hear it all too
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Carbon based

Quote Originally Posted by SS77 View Post
    Thanks to everyone that has helped make DCA tracking exciting again. It's such great news. lol But one thing I've been wondering is, what exactly was the problem with the Test Track system and how has it been fixed for RSR?
    The ride was delayed two years (from a 1997 grand opening to a real opening in 1999). Initially there were some mechanical problems (which you can guess from some of the skidding discussion around here) but since then, the biggest issue has been safety and the many many many sensors and malfunctions/false positive that force the whole thing to stop.

FYI, I also had a very interesting discussion on this subject with some of the Imagineer in particular because all the cars monitor their tire pressure for all wheel at all time and radio it to the base. If there's a sudden change, the whole ride e-stops, assuming a flat tire or blow-up.

In Test Track, one of the most problematic sensor is used to locate where the cars are on the track (to avoid collision, etc.) because they are extremely sensitive to humidity (really?!? And that's what you came up with FOR FLORIDA??? ! Ok, ok... Criticism is easy ).

• Lion

Thanks for all the info TreoFred (and everyone)!

Things are looking even better than in the models.

Quote Originally Posted by TreoFred View Post
    I agree on the commitment. And spending a long long LOOOOOONG time talking to many of them (ok, ok: using and abusing them. Fine. ), I heard so much that was not announced both for this park and others... D23 might have felt empty announcement wise, but those guys have been VERY busy!

BVS was finished A YEAR AGO design wise, and was supposed to be opening, well... now. Why it was delayed (literally moth balled for a year !) is a very interesting discussion and I've heard various explanations of why.

But it's not like ANY of those guys have been out of work in the meantime... far from it... For instance, the interior designer for BVS went on to work on Fantasyland FL (Belle's area) and yet "another project" since

This made me SUPER giddy. I know you can't share anything (can you?) but just the knowledge that new IS being thought of and will be coming is enough to tide me over ... for now. THANKS, TREO!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SS77 View Post
    No worries about the Test Track System. It wasn't actually "fixed" for RSR but rather for DisneySea's Journey to the Center of the Earth which opened in 2001. So the problems have long been corrected

• Minion

Was there any mention of the height requirement for Radiator Springs Racers?

• Disneyland Nut

Random: Is it wrong that I'm still sad about the Mission factory being closed? Heh.

But, I'm all for Ghirardelli's. Just visited the San Fran shoppe in June and it was lovely!