Page 289 of 668 FirstFirst ... 189239264279286287288289290291292299314339389 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,335 of 10011

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

EDITOR’S NOTE 2/2: The dates for DCA's grand re-opening event have finally been chosen. June 14th will be the media day and private celebrity party, and June 15th will be the official first day of operation for customers. There will only be a handful of days for AP Previews and soft openings for Cars Land in early June, and those dates aren't confirmed yet. June 15th will also kick off DCA's new operating schedule of daily 8AM to 11PM hours through the summer. - Al Lutz
    Cars Land Grand Opening Date Set

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyseeker View Post
    About the RSR dilemma. Why is everyone already judging it when we haven't even rode it yet? It's just like a book. Don't judge it by its cover. I'm sure that RSR will definitely satisfy its target audience. I for am really excitd for it and I'm not a big Cars fan but this land and ride looks very promising.
    If it was like a book, it would be on the best seller's list not problem. Look at the back drop and landscape it includes.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by gta View Post
    Definately agree. Think this is one of the weirder choices Disney has made in recent history, spending a huge amount of money basing a very permanent looking ride on a movie that isnt critically respected and wasnt as commercially successful as it could have been.
    I should point out that Cars has made Disney more money than any other Pixar or Disney movie. Most of it is the toys and t-shirts, but that all counts to the bottom line. Their thinking is that they want to keep that money rolling in and I can't say a blame them for that.

Quote Originally Posted by gta View Post
    it is just a copy of Test Track.
    I have to disagree with this one. In Japan "Journey to the center of the earth" uses the same technology as Test Track and I have never hear anyone say that it is just a copy of Test Track. There is a lot more to RSR than just the vehicles. Now is this going to be as thrilling as a roller coaster? No. But neither is POC or HM and those are great rides.

Personally I'm going to take a wait and see and not make up my mind before I ride it.

• IPAC

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    Some of these comments on RSR are a little rude and condescending to us who are excited for it. I am certainly not a 10 year old and I am beyond excited for the attraction and why shouldn't I be. I, like SO many others outside these forums, have not had the time, money, or opportunity to make a vacation out to Florida or TDS to experience the Test Track system so it'll definitely be something new to me. I also drive on the freeways here in SoCal (commuting from Lancaster - Long Beach two days a week for school, yeah I drive a lot, believe me) and yet I'm still excited. Nowhere else can I race side by side with another car on a race through the red rocks on a thrilling, g-force inducing trip without the worry of an accident or ticket. I love driving canyon roads, windows open and music on, winding through the oaks and hills here in the Southland as it just feels so free and exciting yet I' still excited to ride through the Ornament Valley on RSR and into Radiator Springs. Everybody I've talked to, whether they are Disney fans, not big Disney people, Cars fans, or impartial to the movie (all the people who ride Splash Mountain have seen Song of the South right lol not), are excited for this land and the headlining attraction. My sister just randomly exclaimed this morning how excited she was for this addition and asked me when it was going to open. I showed her a recent pic of the land and she was awe-struck. She's only seen the movie about once. My parents, family, coworkers, friends...all excited for this addition and none are 10 year old boys. I myself am not a huge fan of the movie but I did enjoy it. I enjoyed the characters, the Route 66 themes in the movie, and the beautiful landscapes, vistas, and lighting/color throughout the movie. Those were just wonderful. There's no denying the background and environment work in the movie Cars is nothing short of magnificent and truly captures a place and a mood. It is the best choice, IMO, for a land inspired by a Pixar movie in a theme park for this reason alone.

And people can keep saying RSR is the same as TT and what not (although it is an evolved system of the ride) but in that respect, the Transformers attraction is in the same vein. It's just a rehash of the ride system used over in Florida and Japan on the Spiderman ride. It'll just be first time the ride system debuts on the West Coast (and the same is the case for RSR). I prefer the idea of riding a balanced attraction of dark ride and thrills through physical sets that fully immerse as opposed to an attraction that relies mostly on overdone 3D technology (the local radio advertisements for it make sure to mention that). Oh and the Transformers ride just debuted in Singapore not too long ago. It's really not that original or groundbreaking of an attraction.
    Exactly I'm 19 and I'm excited for Carsland, RSR, MJJ, and LFT. I commute every day to school and I'm still looking forward to the open road on RSR. I have a jeep and go off-roading and still love Indy. I go in my jeep to some beautiful places that look like Cadillac Ridge, or even better, but I am still excited about the scenery in Carsland. I fly airplanes yet I still like Soarin.

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

The Cars Land page is also live.
    Cars Land | Disney California Adventure Park
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter

• Insomniac

I really don't understand the idea that Cars 2 was a failure. It still made almost $560,000,000 Worldwide...

I love the movies but that is beside the point. Cars sells way more merch than any other franchise Disney/ Pixar has (maybe toy story or pirates beat it but it makes $billions!).

Cars 2 (2011) - Box Office Mojo

From a financial standpoint it makes perfect sense to build a cars themed area. Anyone who says that RSR is a clone or exactly the same as test track is fooling themselves. Test track has one giant unthemed racing loop and a bunch of inside dark ride segments. RSR is a split two car track that takes guests through multiple scenes that vary depending on which side the car takes you. After the dark ride portion you wind through the most realistic and most expensive hand crafted rock work ever created as you race along side another car without knowing who is going to end up winning the race. You then enter the radiator springs caverns where taillight stalactites twinkle and you disembark. Quite a huge difference in pretty much every aspect except for both use roughly the same ride system even though cars lands is much more advanced.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    I really don't understand the idea that Cars 2 was a failure. It still made almost $560,000,000 Worldwide...

I love the movies but that is beside the point. Cars sells way more merch than any other franchise Disney/ Pixar has (maybe toy story or pirates beat it but it makes $billions!).

From a financial standpoint it makes perfect sense to build a cars themed area. Anyone who says that RSR is a clone or exactly the same as test track is fooling themselves. Test track has one giant unthemed racing loop and a bunch of inside dark ride segments. RSR is a split two car track that takes guests through multiple scenes that vary depending on which side the car takes you. After the dark ride portion you wind through the most realistic and most expensive hand crafted rock work ever created as you race along side another car without knowing who is going to end up winning the race. You then enter the radiator springs caverns where taillight stalactites twinkle and you disembark. Quite a huge difference in pretty much every aspect except for both use roughly the same ride system even though cars lands is much more advanced.
    I think by "failure," people are referring to how the movie was received by critics:

Cars 2 - Rotten Tomatoes

It sure seemed like the movie disappointed much of the adult movie-going public as well. Although critical reception may seem trivial, it can be pretty useful for estimating a movie's timelessness and longevity, which itself is important for evaluating its appropriateness for theme park lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I am pretty sure it was reported that RSR is the most expensive ride built by Disney as of now.. but perhaps it is only the most expensive for the Disneyland Resort...
    From what I understand, at $300 million plus, RSR is the most expensive ride built anywhere. After seeing the hand-crafted mountain range Disney built for it, it's not hard to imagine why.

• film975

I'm an adult and I enjoyed the first Cars. I enjoyed the second one even more. They're both fun movies to watch. I usually don't listen to critics anyway. And I can't wait to actually walk around Radiator Springs at the California Adventure this summer.
    Last edited by film975; 02-02-2012 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post

Part of the failure comes from Pixar setting a very high bar that Cars 2 couldn't reach. Cars 2 fell short story wise for a lot of people, myself included.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Sidenote on the MIssion Space thought: I'm glad its not a franchise. In my opinion, the attraction is one of the biggest disappointments Disney has turned out in awhile. The huge costs only make the matter worse.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• the rum is always gone

Quote Originally Posted by insider67 View Post
    ...Then when they are teenagers they will complain that Disney is not thrilling enough and then the cycle will repeat itself. In the mean time Disney will pretend they care about you by throwing dance party type atmosphere that is relatively low cost and will appease you until you move into the real adult world.
    If you want thrilling rides, go to Six Flags. If you want rides that make you suspend your disbelief and allow you to be fully immersed in the environment and the story a ride creates for you, then go to Disneyland/DCA.

Disneyland and the Disney parks are generally not built on the principal of making exciting/thrilling rides. Instead the rides are built to tell a story, a story that resonates with you and is something you remember and something for you to recall long after you have been to a Disney park. Look at Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones. These rides all tell stories and put you into the action, thus creating an event that you will remember and forever associate yourself with. I have only been to Disneyland about 10 times in my life. But I can tell you the order and what happens in every room on Indiana Jones. I can tell you exactly what happens on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Thrill rides and roller coasters are built to give you excitement by making you scared and giving you adrenaline. However, after the ride is over and the adrenaline dies off, the distinct memory you have of that event is simply how scared/thrilled you were. The memory is not associated with a particular story that you can relive in your mind. Although I have been to Six Flags a dozen times, I cannot tell you the order of the twist and turns on Batman nor Viper.

And that is the problem with DCA, the rides there are not major "story rides". The addition of The Little Mermaid has helped, but other than Soarin, Tower of Terror and Monster's Inc (which is terrible) there are very few "story rides." That is why I'm excited for the addition of RSR. It will add another ride that will hopefully tell a great story and will be memorable for everyone who rides it long after they exit the gates of DCA.

Yesterday they were again testing Maters Junkyard ride. They have all the vehicles in place. What interested me is that there are TWO seperate rides, left and right, kinda like the Matterhorn. They run independently, so that it can process riders faster.

Also, they have all the telephone poles with street lights in place, added several more trees at the entrance, and more decorations on the buildings.

It looks like they will finish on time (June 15th).

Looks like a fun ride.
    Last edited by mickey11; 02-02-2012 at 12:04 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post

TRANSFORMERS IS TO SPIDER-MAN AS RADIATOR SPRINGS RACERS IS TO TEST TRACK.
    This isn't quite right.

The "Test Track" technology started in Rocket Rods (1998) and was also used in Test Track (1999). Both these attractions were/are pretty bare bones application of the technology: minimally themed by Disney standards. Almost like proof-of-concepts that were turned into rides.

The first use of this technology in a true "Disney" style attraction was Journey to the Center of the Earth at DisneySea (opened in 2001). The way it works there is that the ride starts off like a psuedo dark-ride (a bit like Indiana Jones, really) before bursting into the speedy stuff. The point of the test-track tech is that it can go both really slow and really fast, which is something a normal dark ride can't do (can only go slow) or roller coaster (pretty much can only go fast, and dependent on gravity).

RSR will be the 2nd "Disneyfied" use of this technology, and I expect it to largely mimic Journey in most ways save for the Cars vs. Jules Verne theming. So I'd say it's more:

Transformers:Spider-man::RSR:Journey

Remember: the point of the test-track tech is to be able to combine a dark ride and a thrill ride, rather than having to choose. It's probably the perfect Disney ride system, really, for that reason. But it's not doing something new so much as combining two things that previously needed to be separate.
    Last edited by WED; 02-02-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    'simple simulator ride'?? Even if you skip the simulator.. I bet M:S has the most impressive guest area of any ride vehicle disney has done. It's probably only superceded in complexity in itself by the EMV. And when you look at the simulator portion.. who else has this many sims, like this, with this type of duty cycle, in this kind of density?

M:S is a marvel.. hindered only by the fact the experience itself limits the type of audience that can experience it.
    Once they opened the green and orange sides, the ride works well for all audiences. My youngest daughter at 5 loved, it, as did my mom at 65. I've done both sides and would love for this ride to be here at DL.

TT is a fun ride, but has no theming outside. RSR should be compared to Disney Sea Journey to the Center of the Earth. Its a center piece attraction that will be fun to watch as well as fun to experience.