Page 339 of 668 FirstFirst ... 239289314329336337338339340341342349364389439 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,085 of 10011
  1. #5071

    • Buena Vista St. & Red Car
    • Online

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, CA
    Posts
    2,731

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Took a short visit to the park today. Mint's update covered everything but I'll give a bit of commentary.

    The buildings around GRR look great! They are the same color as before by not faded, as weathered, or distressed. The vibrant, dark red on the Rushin River Outfitters is a great contrast to the dark green pines all around it and it sets a nice foreground to the granite peak beyond it. The buildings are going to look great and less worn down and more in the time period.

    Speaking of time periods...ran by Condor Flats and into the Fly N Buy and noticed what may be a new display case behind the register. The store already has GREAT theming inside but this little case stuck out as new because it had a calendar in it that was for "October, 1947", along with some aviator sunglasses, a state of CA map, and other cool 40's era looking items. Some more theming added to perhaps better bring home the 1940's airfield theming they are aiming for...?

    BVS is coming together nicely. Elias and Co is looking better and better. The trees around the fountain were blooming these beautiful pink, bell shaped flowers. New streetlights were also up around the fountain and looked GREAT! The wrought iron marque looks fantastic and really adds a nice dimension to the building. As I, and many other posters have been saying, that's the fun of more simplistic Mission Revival and Art Deco styles, seeing it all come together with the ornamental details. There was also a beautiful planter/vase up on the 2nd floor of the Carthay.

    Blue Sky Cellar...this by far is the BEST exhibit thus far in the cellar. People are excited for Cars Land. I spent some time in the area and let me tell you, guest of all types are talking about it. I saw so many guest look at the banners up on the parade route, saw that they mentioned Cars Land, and went up to discover the cellar. Others came up to get a better view down Route 66 for pictures (especially once the sun set and the neon came on) and some more from the wonderful CM host welcoming guest in. The art, models, and pictures in the exhibit are great. The aerial picture is from a couple weeks ago and you really get a sense on the layout of the land. One thing I noticed from the aerial picture, the layout plans (which clearly show all land including Bugs Land path and stuff) and the model is what looks to be a large "viewing" area that diverges off the main path leading from Cars Land to Pacific Wharf and sits next to the track of RSR. Maybe a cool photo spot to get that awesome family pic with the massive Cadillac Range and racing cars in the background? Who knows... Lot's of other awesome stuff in the exhibit, I definitely recommend checking it out. I particularly liked the art showing all the various graphics, posters, billboards, and even the fastpass machines, for the land. I just love that style! Oh, and the music is really great too. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

    The video...I could go on about how well done the main video is. It is just so good. So many great shots of the rockwork and the land in general! The more scenic filming they did of the land with the rocks, the landscaping, and the buildings/lights is GREAT stuff. I love the ones they show with the plants swaying in the breeze, filtering the light with the red rocks as a backdrop. Such a great mix of textures. This land is going to be something special. Someone needs to get stills from the video and put them up because it would be awesome to see (I would but don't even know how).

    This video really got me excited for the land and kind of brought a better understanding of the stories and themes of the land. Sure, part of the motivation is merchandise and franchise and blah blah blah but you know what, this land does have heart, especially to anybody who used to road trip and travel to small towns. These small towns are so unique, so quirky, so different. They are a class of their own but are so often bypassed but shouldn't be. Like John says, life isn't about the finish line, it's about the journey to get there; to stop and take a second to realize all the intricate details that make the fabric interesting. I know Cars isn't a favorite among many people here but I feel that theme is why I've always enjoyed the movie. I'm a "stop and smell
    the roses" kind of guy. It's nice to take the long way sometimes and remember all the small things that make life special. Hearing the Imagineers talk about their journey on Route 66 and how they hope to bring this to the land is just great. The land will tell the stories, just like the Radiator Springs did in the movie. Cars Land is going to be special for me. Road trips were a big thing in my family and the stops in small towns were just something special, and I can see that this feeling is coming to Cars Land. In much the same way that Grizzly Peak reminds me of summer camping trips in the High Sierra's, Cars Land is going to remind me of the long, desert drive to get there including the stop at our favorite cafe in that little small roadside town with the radio playing those old, familiar tunes and where the people are just so interesting and different, just so special.

    I like how the one emotional Imagineer described Radiator Springs Racers. He said it's more our journey in their world. The ride is about us. (since we're on topic of loose narratives). All those Imagineers were great and so passionate about this project and truly hitting the ball out of the park through quality work. Cars Land will be something else
    Last edited by SoCalFan; 03-01-2012 at 10:26 PM.

  2. #5072

    • film975
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    1,438

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    I stopped by the Blue Sky Cellar myself earlier today. One of my favorite pieces in the new Cars Land exhbit was concept art for the Radiator Springs Racers attraction sign. I just loved the idea that it's gonna be in neon as well. Oh and the Cars Land model was very impressive. I still can't get over how huge the entire place is gonna be.

  3. #5073

    • Ryan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    410

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I never said it wasn't going to be fun. I am just not as worked up about it. Riding in a jeep on rough and rugged terrain in a cursed temple actually is new. So is free falling in an elevator to the fifth dimension.

    Honestly I'm sorry I said anything because apparently me not being as pumped as everyone else is hurting people's feelings. I am looking forward to the ride. But it's a fact that its not a milestone in imagineering (even the rockwork, while impressive, seems on par with TDS Mount Prometheus). That's all I was trying to say.

    On a more related note I think the detailed touches on BVS look really nice and actually even better than I was expecting
    I don't know about you but I have never been to Radiator Springs, let alone GO on a road trip. Either have I raced in a car, or gone tractor tipping. I have never been bouncing on a tire or having a jamboree on a tractor. I don't remember the last time I met a fake character from a movie come to life, let alone interact with it. The last time I bought food at the Cozy Cone Motel must have been a long time ago because it is something you can't experience in real life.

    Come to think of it, when was the last time I stepped into a movie right off the big screen to under my feet? Oh yeah, never.
    Last edited by YoungImagineer; 03-01-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: bolded part I was referring to


  4. #5074

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    74

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    This looks interesting. I can't tell if the poles are inside of the park or outside. Maybe they are the beginning of planters for the entrance?

    Any thoughts?

    Name:  CA.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  149.5 KB

  5. #5075

    • Fancy that...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,311

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    PRODUCTION VALUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



    (Quote from Super 8.)

    Nah, they did a really great job putting it together, whomever disney hired to produce the video does top notch work.

    It took me a while to notice that the name graphics were California license plates.
    It's so classy! Even if people find the video cheesy, it's the good kind of cheesy.

    (J.J. Abrams fan here, I appreciate that.)

  6. #5076

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    74

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    woops. Delete.

  7. #5077

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,362

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by Bexington View Post
    I think people usually get defensive in the presence of a miserabilist regardless of how wrong their opinion may be.
    Lol oh boy here we go again...
    and I'm not a 'miserabilist', people here are missing the point of my whole argument because they're taking the ride so personally...a ride...a non living theme park attraction,...which I have already predicted to be great fun. Seriously let's all just take it easy on here and be friends, no need to get worked up.

    ---------- Post added 03-02-2012 at 03:44 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by YoungImagineer View Post
    I don't know about you but I have never been to Radiator Springs, let alone GO on a road trip. Either have I raced in a car, or gone tractor tipping. I have never been bouncing on a tire or having a jamboree on a tractor. I don't remember the last time I met a fake character from a movie come to life, let alone interact with it. The last time I bought food at the Cozy Cone Motel must have been a long time ago because it is something you can't experience in real life.

    Come to think of it, when was the last time I stepped into a movie right off the big screen to under my feet? Oh yeah, never.
    Then I'm sure you'll be very impressed they did a good job capturing those feelings

  8. #5078

    • Nope! No grown-ups here!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    Posts
    1,214

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by Bexington View Post
    I think people usually get defensive in the presence of a miserabilist regardless of how wrong their opinion may be.
    Debate is one thing, but as soon as you start name-calling, you've lost the debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Lol oh boy here we go again...and I'm not a 'miserabilist', people here are missing the point of my whole argument because they're taking the ride so personally...a ride...a non living theme park attraction,...which I have already predicted to be great fun. Seriously let's all just take it easy on here and be friends, no need to get worked up.
    Indeed. I don't really agree with TylerDurden's opinion. However (I've said it before and I'll say it again), he stated it as his OPINION, not as a fact (at least not until other started nit-picking it), and therefore it cannot be considered wrong, even if others disagree with it. People lose track of that, all too often around here, and it turns conversations into debates (often turning personal) when no such debate is necessary. Everybody should share their feelings about what they perceive as the merits / issues with the item(s) being discussed, but shouldn't attempt to shoot down what others have said. When that happens, it is a natural instinct to get defensive. Saying 'I disagree' has a different connotation than 'you're wrong'. The above is the reason I have largely given up posting anything other than positive responses to basic things. BTW, don't bother trying to debate what I have stated here, because I won't respond.

    ---------- Post added 03-02-2012 at 07:43 AM ----------

    Let me clarify one key item I left out in the above rant: If actual facts - technical details, sizes of things, possible wait times, the methods used to build/design things, etc. are brought up, then debate, and showing factual errors in others' statements, is totally cool. Lets please just make sure we keep these two kinds of discussions separate, so nobody gets their toes stepped on and everybody has fun.
    Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 03-02-2012 at 07:44 AM.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

  9. #5079

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    593

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I stopped by the Blue Sky Cellar myself earlier today. One of my favorite pieces in the new Cars Land exhbit was concept art for the Radiator Springs Racers attraction sign.
    Agreed. I saw it yesterday as well and it looks really great. One of the best attraction signs I've seen in a while.

    Via Mint:
    Name:  i-RC7RSHV-L.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  139.1 KB
    Last edited by WarningSLO; 03-02-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    *A Republic... If you can keep it*

  10. #5080

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    593

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    A great landscaping plan via Mint:
    http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/pho...-xRhSZ6r-O.jpg
    *A Republic... If you can keep it*

  11. #5081

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    384

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Mint has the Blue Sky pictures up now:
    Magic Eye: Blue Sky Cellar - Road to Cars Land

  12. #5082

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Bay Area
    Posts
    534

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    It was mentioned above that the design for the fastpass machines for RSR was in the Blue Sky Cellar exhibit but I can't find them in any pictures that have been posted... anybody know where I can find them?

  13. #5083

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    593

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by jsanch2 View Post
    It was mentioned above that the design for the fastpass machines for RSR was in the Blue Sky Cellar exhibit but I can't find them in any pictures that have been posted... anybody know where I can find them?
    http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/pho...-Bg5RP2F-O.jpg

    ---------- Post added 03-02-2012 at 10:03 AM ----------

    Oh, the machines, not the sign. Sorry. Haven't seen that yet.

    ---------- Post added 03-02-2012 at 10:03 AM ----------

    Maybe these:http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/pho...-RSDfCKf-O.jpg
    *A Republic... If you can keep it*

  14. #5084

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Bay Area
    Posts
    534

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by WarningSLO View Post
    http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/pho...-Bg5RP2F-O.jpg

    ---------- Post added 03-02-2012 at 10:03 AM ----------

    Oh, the machines, not the sign. Sorry. Haven't seen that yet.

    ---------- Post added 03-02-2012 at 10:03 AM ----------

    Maybe these:http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/pho...-RSDfCKf-O.jpg
    Thanks... Nice catch, I must have looked through those pictures so many times looking for that. Also those machines are really cool looking.

  15. #5085

    • Nope! No grown-ups here!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    Posts
    1,214

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Great pics by Mint!


    http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/pho...-WkBWPKS-M.jpg


    http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/pho...-GmKfnC8-M.jpg

    Has it really been almost three years, since they broke ground? Wow! In some ways, it really doesn't seem that long, but I guess that's because we've been in such deep discussion about all of the details, that it's kinda' like we've been there, to one degree or another, all along. They've done so much great work, that people will be totally amazed by Radiator Springs - and especially RSR. I know I'll be as giddy as a schoolgirl (do schoolgirls actually get 'giddy'?) when the family and I get to go. Hell, I'll be doing nothing but thinking about it for days in advance.


    http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/pho...-VQt6QRs-M.jpg

    It'll be interesting to see if all of the cars have different license plate designations, so that people can identify the cars individually, even before the ride starts. I can see people having their favorite cars and hoping to be able to ride in that one. I also wonder if they'll keep the registration stickers up to date, or if they will always indicate summer of 2012, as a link to when the ride opened. (Of course, if that were the case, the sticker should indicate June 2012, unless they do some serious ride previews.)
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Disney California Adventure Project Tracker X
    By MasterGracey in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9944
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •