Page 344 of 668 FirstFirst ... 244294319334341342343344345346347354369394444 ... LastLast
Results 5,146 to 5,160 of 10011

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    The main thing about RSR seems to be its ride system. That's the whole reason it's headlining the DCA overhaul. If it weren't for the ride system, it could be an omnimover and nobody would be making a big deal out of it. The ride system is what differentiates it from other Disney dark rides, so it really is a big deal
    But that's just it - it's not. If it were just the ride system, why bother spending years and millions of dollars building such an immersive environment for it? How many dark rides or omnimovers do you know of that move through such scale like this?

But that differnetiation from other rides (the speed at the end) isn't enough for me to hype it up as much nor think it was the best option (yes it tells the Cars story well enough...maybe Cars wasn't the best option either though).
    The ride isn't about the speed... you're making assumptions, and then tearing down the whole thing based on YOUR assumptions.

I won't be riding RSR thinking its the most impressive thing I've ever been on or that I'm getting a once-in-a-lifetime thrill like I did on Indy or Star Tours upon opening
    So you've already made up your mind before you've even sat back and seen what the ride is about or what it will do for you. I look forward to reading your posts after carsland opens.

You're being completely dismissive while failing to even account for the major elements of the ride.
    Last edited by flynnibus; 03-05-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: missing quote block
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    So you've already made up your mind before you've even sat back and seen what the ride is about or what it will do for you. I look forward to reading your posts after carsland opens.

You're being completely dismissive while failing to even account for the major elements of the ride.
    Areyou not doing the same thing, just from a different viewpoint? Everybody's excited for RSR because of its technology right? If it weren't for that, it would be a regular FL-style dark ride. Would you be as excited for a Cars dark ride? No, it's the Test Track technology that's pumping you up. I personally feel like that is not enough to hype me up (hype, meaning feeling anticipating the ride). Little Mermaid in WDW has an extensive rockwork queue as well but it's still a slow dark ride....are you looking forward to that with the same level of excitement as you are RSR? If so, you win. My only point was that what separates this ride from a normal dark ride isn't on the scale that other park headliners (Indy, Soarin, etc.) have been. I'm sure it'll still be great, but I would've liked something a little fresher.

In the discussions comparing RSR to other attractions, one thing that is pretty unique is that not only goes fast, with sharp turns, but it is a RACE! Even though Test Track's top speed is faster, I feel the racing factor alone of RSR will make it twice as exciting.

Areyou not doing the same thing, just from a different viewpoint? Everybody's excited for RSR because of its technology right? If it weren't for that, it would be a regular FL-style dark ride. Would you be as excited for a Cars dark ride? No, it's the Test Track technology that's pumping you up. I personally feel like that is not enough to hype me up (hype, meaning feeling anticipating the ride). Little Mermaid in WDW has an extensive rockwork queue as well but it's still a slow dark ride....are you looking forward to that with the same level of excitement as you are RSR? If so, you win. My only point was that what separates this ride from a normal dark ride isn't on the scale that other park headliners (Indy, Soarin, etc.) have been. I'm sure it'll still be great, but I would've liked something a little fresher.
    So only some robot arm spinning you around in a 3D film is exciting to you? For some of us the ride is exciting based on being immersed in the Cars world. Sometimes a good ride doesn't have to be like technology breakthrough for it to be fun.

Fountain Valley, California, United States

I thought this debacle had ended a couple days ago...

• Pilot EdForceOne

Areyou not doing the same thing, just from a different viewpoint?
    No, I'm being open minded and taking in all the aspects of the ride - not just one. I'm looking at the setting, the scale, the technical innovations, the uniqueness, the subject matter, the scenes themselves, the ride system, etc and then being open minded on all the elements we can't see yet, like actual show lighting, sound effects, physical effects, the perception of distances, the perception of speed, the view from within the canyons, etc.

What I am sure of, is there is a lot more there already than what Test Track offers - so dismissing it as 'just the ride system of test track with a cars story instead' is pretty foolish IMO when the mountain of information we do already have points to way more than that.

Anyone who has rafted, boated, or driven through steep canyon sides knows just how much that adds to an experience alone. That is something never done at this scale anywhere in Disney. That alone should be enough to open people's eyes. The 360 immersion with this type of scale is unheard of anywhere in any Disney ride. I'm dumbfounded by those who continually look past that and don't even pause to think what that alone will add to the ride.

People love Pirates over something like TLM in part because of the scale of the sets and their 'depth' leading to greater suspension of disbelief. This is that times 10!

Everybody's excited for RSR because of its technology right? If it weren't for that, it would be a regular FL-style dark ride
    No and no.

Would you be as excited for a Cars dark ride?
    Would that dark ride include life-size animated cars?
    Would that dark ride include variable speed ride vehicles with integrated sound and effects?
    Would that dark ride include show scenes that are hundreds of square feet per scene?
    Would that dark ride include alternate show experiences with different ride vehicles and show scenes?
    Would that dark ride include moving through 360 degree sets over a hundred feet tall?
    Would that dark ride include moving through both indoor and outdoor sections?
    Would that dark ride include an elaborate queue and lead-in?
    Would that dark ride include going through a full replica of a town?
    Would that dark ride include physical effects that guests would experience in the ride vehicle?

Oh.. and then there is that whole 'test track ride system' thing.

Yeah.. just another FL-dark ride wouldn't you agree???

My only point was that what separates this ride from a normal dark ride isn't on the scale that other park headliners (Indy, Soarin, etc.) have been. I'm sure it'll still be great, but I would've liked something a little fresher.
    No you have a predisposition and fixation on one element and can't see beyond it.

It's ironic you mention soarin'... after all.. it's just a surround projection screen with some seats that move right?? Been done before. Indy? Just pirates with a moving car instead of a boat...

If you let yourself belittle an attraction by focusing on one element that you feel is not new and original and can't see beyond that to see the rest of the attraction - there is little anyone here can do to help you understand why most other's view differs from your opinion.
    Last edited by flynnibus; 03-05-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Am I evil? yes, I am

The level of theming Disney has put into Cars Land is amazing. Disney at its best. I'm really looking forward RSR, as well as all of the rides in the land because of the wonderful theming and, more importantly, the storytelling. I think technology innovation is important and, from what I have seen, they have done quite a bit with RSR. In my opinion, I don't mind if they reuse a technology, as long as they wrap it in an incredible theme and story. (i.e. Big thunder, Space mountain, splash mountain, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by jim ferguson View Post

Thanks for sharing the videos, are they yours?

I like how the second video shows how lovely DCA is looking at night from the fun wheel.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Nice, new video posting from the Disney Parks Blog. This is actually the video they play before the Road to Cars Land video in the newly updated BSC. It's a nice cinematographic just like many of the video from the Cars Land video that shows the actual land.
    http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...dventure-park/

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    It's ironic you mention soarin'... after all.. it's just a surround projection screen with some seats that move right?? Been done before.
    Yaya... Back to the Future the Ride did it decades ago - with a greater range of motion but without the danging feet. And yet, Soarin manages to be one of the more enjoyable Disney attractions.

How about Splash Mountain? One of the most beloved Disney attractions that exists. It's just a LOG FLUME. Log flumes have been done to death. But Disney made it unique, they added a story, theming, and atmosphere that no other log flume ride had.

Calling RSR a rehash of anything is like saying the Disneyland Railroad is just a train. Or that the Jungle Cruise is just a boat ride. Or that Pirates is just a boat/flume ride.

A ride system is just a vehicle (no pun intended) to take you through an adventure. The way you present that adventure is the difference between a log flume and Splash Mountain.

And I will say this for the Test Track ride system that's being used for RSR - unless you've ridden Test Track, don't knock those vehicles. That ride is far more enjoyable than some people give it credit for, and until I rode it myself, I didn't either. There are literally ZERO ride systems in the world that can duplicate that kind of sudden change in acceleration along with that feeling of being connected to the road. Even roller coasters can't replicate the feeling.

And even though RSR won't crank up to 65 like Test Track does, just wait until you are zooming around those banked turns, bunny hops, and tunnels. I can promise you that unless you've experienced Test Track you don't quite understand that feeling of being in a small vehicle moving at those kinds of speeds with rubber tires on a road as opposed vinyl wheels on tubular steel rails. There's a certain raw exhilaration to it that isn't matched by any other ride system.

RSR may not be an epic game changer, but it's a family ride. You can take your entire family on this exciting road trip - and that's something that separates Disney from other parks. This will be a family thrill ride, while still having charm and intimacy to go along with the thrill of the race. There aren't many ride systems that can achieve thrill-ride status and still be appropriate for younger children, but the RSR system fits that bill. It's thrilling without being too scary, and yet still allows you to slow down and have dark ride elements to go along with the speed.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Quote Originally Posted by xsdesign View Post
    I thought this debacle had ended a couple days ago...
    Ditto. The whole thing is pointless. Person A: "In my opinion, one aspect of new attraction X could have been a little more innovative/original, and I think I would enjoy it more if it had." Nearly everybody else: "NO! You're wrong! You're missing all of these things that make this ride so great, so there is no way that if that one aspect was more original, that you would enjoy the ride more. You're saying that the ride sucks, and here is why it doesn't..." Person A: "That's not what I'm saying!" Nearly everybody else: "Let's harp on Person A some more."
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Minion

I think that BVS is coming along real nicely, the detail looks to rival that of Main Street and definitely exceeds my expectations. Does anyone feel, however, that the buildings are almost too big? I feel like they seem to tower over the already small street, and add hoards of people and it seems like it may be sort of cramped. Anyone else feel the same way?

• Banned User

Test Track is not the best comparison attraction for Radiator Springs Racers: Journey to the Center of the Earth is the best comparison. And Test Track and Journey are VASTLY different experiences, despite having the same essential ride system.

My biggest concern with RSR is that you walk through Radiator Springs to get to the attraction, and then "inside" the attraction you see simulated vignettes from Radiator Springs. Has any Disney attraction ever simulated an existing part of the park inside itself before? I fear that if it isn't done with care, it will make the simulated Radiator Springs in the attraction feel much more fake by comparison.

I suppose Harry Potter land does this a bit as well: does it work okay there?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by WED View Post
    My biggest concern with RSR is that you walk through Radiator Springs to get to the attraction, and then "inside" the attraction you see simulated vignettes from Radiator Springs. Has any Disney attraction ever simulated an existing part of the park inside itself before? I fear that if it isn't done with care, it will make the simulated Radiator Springs in the attraction feel much more fake by comparison.

It's a bit different than WWOHP is now because inside FJ you don't really engage with hogsmeade.. just hogswarts which is what you entered.

I had the same concern after seeing the pre-viz... but after seeing the sets inside the attraction I think it will be ok. The setting inside is not a direct replication of RS like the outside is.. but rather more like 'highlights' condensed together. It reproduces a stylized condensed version of some of the key buildings and squashes them all together space wise. Kind of invoking the emotions/feelings associated with the properties, rather than trying to reproduce RS directly. I'm a bit more concerned about how lugis/bodyshop will differ from what you will see in the other buildings.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WED View Post
    Test Track is not the best comparison attraction for Radiator Springs Racers: Journey to the Center of the Earth is the best comparison. And Test Track and Journey are VASTLY different experiences, despite having the same essential ride system.

I'm not sure if this is the best comparison, but in the Haunted Mansion inside the ride you go back out into the graveyard also when you ride Phantom Manor when you go out of the house you go through Thunder Messa, essentially going through Frontierland.
    Jeff Wayne