Page 345 of 668 FirstFirst ... 245295320335342343344345346347348355370395445 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,175 of 10011

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    It's ironic you mention soarin'... after all.. it's just a surround projection screen with some seats that move right?? Been done before. Indy? Just pirates with a moving car instead of a boat...
    I was thinking the same thing. Now don't get me wrong, because I love it, but Soarin' took a lot from the old Circle-Vision at Disneyland, so the only thing innovative is the movement and smells, if you're going to examine the innovativeness of rides based on just one element.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

If anything, I find it fascinating how everyone is looking at the technology behind this attraction. I do think though that it is important to see how everything fits together before making final judgements.

The best point made in the last few pages is that Disney is famous for taking simple ride systems such as log flumes, boat flumes (pirates anyone?), basic track rides (ie. Fantasyland's darkrides) and other such systems and then using them to bring guests through a story. It is these stories that Disney has used to move past what other Theme/Amusement parks have done for years and make themselves the top of the industry.

To that end, lets enjoy the huge number of pictures and updates we are going to enjoy as these huge multi-year projects enter the home stretch. As Disney fans, I know we are all in for a treat as the long wait we've endured finally yields a new batch of promising attractions, environments and experiences we have never seen before.

Thanks for participating in history here on MiceChat!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Does anyone feel, however, that the buildings are almost too big?
    Last week, I noticed how large the buildings were...from outside the park. I was a little bummed out that so much is so visible outside the gates, but I guess it's not Disneyland so it doesn't need to be held to the same standards - different park, different rules. And I've had concerns about it being bottleneck under the bridge. With the assumption of curbs and red trolley tracks, I think that area is going to feel really enclosed.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

It would be nice if BVS could be secluded from the 'real world', by something akin to the Main Street train station and the tunnels, to provide a real feeling of leaving one world and stepping into another. Unfortunately, either adding that kind of feature to DCA MkII wasn't conceived of, feasible, or within budget constraints. Perhaps that is one reason that the decision was made to use the DHS-style entrance turnstiles; they they seem larger, to me. If so, they create more of a barrier between the inside and outside of the park, than the entrance turnstiles at Disneyland.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Last week, I noticed how large the buildings were...from outside the park. I was a little bummed out that so much is so visible outside the gates, but I guess it's not Disneyland so it doesn't need to be held to the same standards - different park, different rules. And I've had concerns about it being bottleneck under the bridge. With the assumption of curbs and red trolley tracks, I think that area is going to feel really enclosed.
    I think it will work fine considering that L.A. is an urban area. It will be very interesting to compare and contrast BVS and Main Street once it's all done.

Each bridge entrance at Disneyland is a bit over 20 feet wide. So a total of about 40 feet of width for the entrances.

The width of the opening of the monorail bridge with sidewalks included might be as just under 50 feet.

I would say it won't be a problem.

---------- Post added 03-05-2012 at 03:30 PM ----------

Each bridge entrance at Disneyland is a bit over 20 feet wide. So a total of about 40 feet of width for the entrances.

The width of the opening of the monorail bridge with sidewalks included might be as just under 50 feet.

*Immersive

• Tech in Training

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    It would be nice if BVS could be secluded from the 'real world', by something akin to the Main Street train station and the tunnels, to provide a real feeling of leaving one world and stepping into another. Unfortunately, either adding that kind of feature to DCA MkII wasn't conceived of, feasible, or within budget constraints. Perhaps that is one reason that the decision was made to use the DHS-style entrance turnstiles; they they seem larger, to me. If so, they create more of a barrier between the inside and outside of the park, than the entrance turnstiles at Disneyland.
    Building a barrier that served the same purpose as the Main Street train station really isn't an option with the setup that DCA has. They purposefully extended the turnstiles out to where the CALIFORNIA letters were to allow more of a street feel to BVS, but even with this, I don't believe that the street is as long as Main Street. The area in front of and including the train station takes up a significant amount of space, so if something like this was included, any remnant of a street really wouldn't be able to exist unless they completely (and I mean completely) overhauled the way the park entrance pathways and surrounding lands existed. There simply isn't enough existing space to work with in the current layout. They're adding trees just inside the entrance, so this along with the turnstiles themselves and the bridge should do a decent job of blocking out the outside world. It's not perfect, but it's pretty much as good as we could hope for with what the imagineers had to work with. Also the turnstiles are simply designed differently than the ones at DHS. They're less squished and are truer to the original design, so yes, I believe they are a bit bigger. They also only serve as turnstiles instead of as ticket sales with turnstiles behind it. I will agree, though, that they definitely seem to block out more of the outside world than the Disneyland turnstiles.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by summitkopp View Post
    *Immersive
    Hmmmm...no, I meant enclosed.

---------- Post added 03-05-2012 at 04:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post

I just remember feeling that the area under the bridge was a tight squeeze. When people would park it under there, it felt even more trapped. Now, with BVS, there will be vehicles going under it and supposedly shop entrances as well. In addition to sidewalks on each side. Before even more people dump on me for having an opinion, I just can't help but think that part of BVS is going to be a bit tight squeeze. I've looked over the walls myself, not just relied on photos.
    Last edited by brenden; 03-05-2012 at 04:22 PM.

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Quote Originally Posted by xsdesign View Post
    Is anyone else surprised about the new color choice for the Grizzly buildings? I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.
    I'm fine with it. Those are the original colors of those buildings in their UNWEATHERED state. And the idea is that the area is supposed to looker newer circa 1950s. Not circa 2001 and showing 50 years of age.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• Minion

I just remember feeling that the area under the bridge was a tight squeeze. When people would park it under there, it felt even more trapped. Now, with BVS, there will be vehicles going under it and supposedly shop entrances as well. In addition to sidewalks on each side. Before even more people dump on me for having an opinion, I just can't help but think that part of BVS is going to be a bit tight squeeze. I've looked over the walls myself, not just relied on photos.
    There is no doubt that it will be a small area, but the actual street itself should be no smaller than Main Street. I think the illusion is there because the buildings are quite tall and the street itself is not very long from the main gate to the Carthay, but width-wise it should be fine. No doubt it may feel tight on crowded days, but it shouldn't be any more so than Disneyland across the way.

Hmmmm...no, I meant enclosed.

---------- Post added 03-05-2012 at 04:11 PM ----------

Since when did replying with the approximate opening size to add some perspective become dumping on your opinion?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    Since when did replying with the approximate opening size to add some perspective become dumping on your opinion?
    I'm sorry, it wasn't directed just at you. I did appreciate the info you gave.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    I think comparing the theme parks that have this "seclusion" (Disneyland's various iterations, DisneySea) to those that don't (Epcot, DHS, DCA) shows that the concept is universally better. I think a big reason is that the berm allows even the very opening of the park to feel like a functional part of the park, whereas with no berm you need to go deeper into the park to fell fully disconnected from the outside world. At Disneyland you can hang out right on the other side of the train station (effectively barely 100 ft away from the entrance) and still feel fully immersed in Main St. while doing the same thing on Buena Vista St. will still allow views of the Esplanade and ticket booths and other "outside world" things.

It's a shame DCA couldn't manage a berm, even one as simple as a planter with high bushes that you have to walk around after entering the park. It doesn't take much to block that view and that little bit makes all the difference.

I don't understand the concern with the mini-town inside the the show room of Radiator Springs Racers. It's not like anyone is expecting to just go through caves the entire inside part because we enter the rock formation. I think the transition will be fine, and looked past when going through all the scenes.