Page 346 of 668 FirstFirst ... 246296321336343344345346347348349356371396446 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,190 of 10011

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

I haven't been to Disneyland/DCA since 2007, but is the outside world really that visible from the park? I sure as heck don't remember seeing much other than being on Tower or Maliboomer.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    I haven't been to Disneyland/DCA since 2007, but is the outside world really that visible from the park? I sure as heck don't remember seeing much other than being on Tower or Maliboomer.
    For me, at least, it's not as much a matter of how visible the outside world is from the inside. It's a matter of creating a portal between the mundane world and the magical world. It's about going through that portal and being instantly enveloped in the magical world, in virtually all 360º of view. With BVS will be very beautiful and immersive, but even if there is really little or no view of the outside world, once you are in the middle of BVS, you'll still be able to look behind you and see the entrance turnstiles. Yes, I'm picking nits, a bit, but its one of those little things that make a difference. Perhaps being in near the fountain, or elsewhere on the BVS circle will be more exclusive of things-not-so-magical, since the view of the entrance will be better hidden.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Forgotten Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    I would say Paradise Pier is the only area in the park where the outside world is truly visible, other areas take a bit of looking to see.
    However this problem exists in other Disney parks also, Tokyo DisneySea being an example, you can see taller buildings from the top of Raging Spirits and such.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I think that BVS is coming along real nicely, the detail looks to rival that of Main Street and definitely exceeds my expectations. Does anyone feel, however, that the buildings are almost too big? I feel like they seem to tower over the already small street, and add hoards of people and it seems like it may be sort of cramped. Anyone else feel the same way?
    No.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

I just joined the board, and so forgive me if some of the news that's given in the first post has changed so that this complaint is no longer relevant. But just speaking from a SoCal resident's point of view: I'm a little disappointed that they're changing Soarin' Over California to Soarin' Over the World.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm interested in seeing what sort of fly-overs and aerial shots they'll use for the new ride, but it's not worth destroying the California aspect of Soarin'. It would be better if they changed the Soarin' in Florida to Soarin' Over the World, because it really doesn't make sense to have a ride all about California just smack-dab in the middle of the Orlando theme parks without any additional theming to go with it.

But SOC is one of the more iconic rides in DCA, and why would they want to change it to make it less like the theme that the entire park is meant to represent? I know they're trying to make the park more related to Disney in general and less of a Las Vegas-style touristy version of California, and I appreciate that they're doing so - but even with all the changes, they're still keeping the essence of California within the park. Paradise Pier still reminds me of the boardwalk in Santa Monica. Buena Vista Street is a real location in California and the shop names reflect real places. Ghirardelli is based in San Francisco and the street cars they're adding pay homage to San Francisco.

So why would they take away SOC? No one complained about it - the fact that it was set in California was partially why it was so fun. Tourists who were in the middle of a big trip to California could watch the film and look back at the places they had been or where they were heading to next. And us California residents felt a sense of pride at looking at all the cool places our state has to offer - finishing off with Disneyland, of course.

In short, I'm excited for the whole remodel with the exception of the change to Soarin', which I did not know previously of. I'm just hoping they don't go along with it. Seeing as the last time I was there (December 2011) they hadn't made any changes to the ride, I'm hoping it stays the same.

• Insomniac

Soarin' over the world is a possible rumor not something that is actually happening.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

With the trees right past the turnstiles and Oswald's gas station there is some elements blocking the outside world. Going past the new bridge (which from the pics looks like it will be wider) they're doing a good job of blocking the outside world. Sure you might be able to see past the turnstiles but you would really have to be turned around and actually looking for it. We'll have to see how it ultimately turns out, but all those provide a kind of berm in BVS. You'll see it if you really look for it.

Lastly, I think the BVS buildings have to be a little taller, with Soarin's hanger to the right, ToT and those giant studio buildings on the left I think it will help. I don't like seeing those studio buildings even when I'm outside the park or in the backlot, they remind me of DCA 1.0. I like the idea of the second stories with balconies, makes it feel like a lived-in larger area.

Quote Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
    With the trees right past the turnstiles and Oswald's gas station there is some elements blocking the outside world. Going past the new bridge (which from the pics looks like it will be wider) they're doing a good job of blocking the outside world. Sure you might be able to see past the turnstiles but you would really have to be turned around and actually looking for it. We'll have to see how it ultimately turns out, but all those provide a kind of berm in BVS. You'll see it if you really look for it.

Lastly, I think the BVS buildings have to be a little taller, with Soarin's hanger to the right, ToT and those giant studio buildings on the left I think it will help. I don't like seeing those studio buildings even when I'm outside the park or in the backlot, they remind me of DCA 1.0. I like the idea of the second stories with balconies, makes it feel like a lived-in larger area.
    I tend to agree, I think the new DCA entrance will have enough plants and berm type elements that its not really a huge deal unless your really trying to ruin your own illusion. But then again when you go around attempting that you can easily see Space Mountain from Mainstreet.

I don't think views around the entrance areas of either parks is as big a deal as it used to be. Looking out from the train into DCA is more fun then looking out over a parking lot. and seeing the Esplanade/DL entrance from DCA's entrance isn't as mundane as looking out at a parking lot or tram center would be.

I can't wait for an esplanade remodel that makes that area more relaxing to walk through actually. With two parks facing each other and park hopping being what it is I wouldn't be surprised if some tourists saw it more as a transition.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Minion

If people really want to peer out past the turnstiles and see the Esplanade, and if that somehow snaps them back into the reality that they are not in 1928 Los Feliz going down to the corner market for ruffage and hamhocks and the afternoon edition of the Los Angeles Herald-Express (google it) but they are just in a theme park, then they were looking to try and do that.

Space Mountain can be seen from several attractions in Frontierland, especially the Mark Twain or Columbia when it is at the dock and Guests have nothing to do for five minutes after boarding but stare off at Space Mountain. But if they get bored with looking at that giant white dome just beyond the 1860's frontier town, they could turn their head left a bit and catch easy sight of a pink Bavarian castle and a giant Swiss mountain. And Walt designed a lot of that stuff, and the views were even easier in his day when the trees were shorter.

Yes, you will be able to stand near Oswalds Filling Station and look out past the turnstiles and see the Esplanade. Yes, you will see the Tower of Terror behind the Carthay Circle Theater. And yes, there will be giant Cadillac tailfin mountains in the distance when you are sitting on the patio of the Fiddler Fifer & Practical Cafe. And yes, that lousy Swiss mountain will still ruin the theme and sightlines from most of the lands in Disneyland.
    Last edited by Westsider; 03-05-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Last week, I noticed how large the buildings were...from outside the park. I was a little bummed out that so much is so visible outside the gates, but I guess it's not Disneyland so it doesn't need to be held to the same standards - different park, different rules. And I've had concerns about it being bottleneck under the bridge. With the assumption of curbs and red trolley tracks, I think that area is going to feel really enclosed.
    The height of the buildings were done for a reason. First of all is scale, you have a large monorail track that will go right thru the middle of the street. The buildings would look awkward if they we to mich smaller than that bridge. Secondly one of the biggest problems with the old entrance was outside intrusions. The height of the buildings help bock off some of the higher structures on katella when seen from the esplanade, they also help hide some of the large show buildings on either side of the street. The height of the new buildings along with the slight more narrow walkway will help keep guests focus on the environment. Also the width of the street is not much smaller than it was before under the bridge. The removal of the large industrial looking platform of the golden gate have been replaced with much more refined pillars and a sidewalk. The removal of the huge entrance tile mural also open up the area along with the increase in length of the street by moving the turnstiles out several feet into the esplanade. The new position of the gates actually gave WDI room to add a nice courtyard that kind of helps block a direct view into the main Carthay circle hub.

---------- Post added 03-05-2012 at 09:51 PM ----------

Also, once the buildings are done and uncovered the height of those buildings will help create a visual cone that will direct guests eyes toward the weenie of Buena Vista Street when seen from the esplanade. Your eyes will be directed towards the nicely detailed Carthay tower and help you from getting distracted by the very visible soundstages and show building son either side.Once the new trees and planters are added on each side of the gates it will give and even better result.I also do not think the trolleys and width of of the street will be a issue. If I'm right I doubt The trolleys will be operating at park opening. Instead they will wait for the main rush of guests enter the park then start trolley operation an hour or so into park operating hours. During this time most parks have a more open mainstreet unless there is some kingdom entertainment going on that creates bottlenecks

---------- Post added 03-05-2012 at 09:52 PM ----------

Also, once the buildings are done and uncovered the height of those buildings will help create a visual cone that will direct guests eyes toward the weenie of Buena Vista Street when seen from the esplanade. Your eyes will be directed towards the nicely detailed Carthay tower and help you from getting distracted by the very visible soundstages and show building son either side.Once the new trees and planters are added on each side of the gates it will give and even better result.I also do not think the trolleys and width of of the street will be a issue. If I'm right I doubt The trolleys will be operating at park opening. Instead they will wait for the main rush of guests enter the park then start trolley operation an hour or so into park operating hours. During this time most parks have a more open mainstreet unless there is some kind of entertainment that creates bottlenecks

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    If people really want to peer out past the turnstiles and see the Esplanade, and if that somehow snaps them back into the reality that they are not in 1928 Los Feliz going down to the corner market for ruffage and hamhocks and the afternoon edition of the Los Angeles Herald-Express (google it) but they are just in a theme park, then they were looking to try and do that.
    I don't like quoting people just to say "this," but... this.

A berm/barrier at the entrance of a park is slightly overrated. The foliage barrier that will be in place will be more than enough to disconnect you from the esplanade. Once you're in the park, there's nothing visually to draw your eyes back to that entry, anyway.

Nobody enters Disneyland really believing they've traveled to a far away magical land... except for maybe children, and they're not looking for a reason to break the illusion. If you enter BVS without looking for a reason to break yourself out of it, you won't have an issue. All of the visual interest and hustle-and-bustle will be on the street itself, not at the turnstiles. If, however, you're walking around with your eyes looking out towards the esplanade, you'll find the disconnect you're looking for.

When you stand in the Main Street queue for the Disneyland Railroad, you can see right out of the park. Rarely do I hear people complain that this breaks the illusion of being on a real, turn-of-the-century railroad station, and that's because Disneyland was never meant to be an illusion. The magic lies in the ability to evoke. Children have long understood this without having to think about it. The Haunted Mansion isn't supposed to replicate a real haunted house with real ghosts. Pirates isn't meant to replicate what real pirates were like. It's a play on emotions and preconceptions, for the purpose of telling a story. When you exit the Haunted Mansion vehicles onto a moving rubber sidewalk, you aren't thinking about how much that ruined the experience of thinking you were in a real graveyard. When your Pirates boat starts magically going uphill at the end of the ride, you don't suddenly realize that you aren't actually on the high seas. When you catch a glimpse of the Disneyland main entrance from Buena Vista Street, you won't suddenly think you're not on a 1930s LA street - because you knew from the start that you weren't.

Let's face it - being able to catch glimpses of the esplanade is not nearly the same as seeing a giant Albert Pujols billboard just outside the DCA main gate. There's a difference between a slight visual annoyance and flat out, disturbing thematic intrusion. Buena Vista Street's lack of a berm is not one of those disturbing intrusions... in fact, a berm would probably look very out of place in a setting like BVS, ruining the theme even worse than having no berm at all.

• Disneyland History Lover

While at the parks over the weekend, I also felt that a lot was visible from the esplanade. I love how Disneyland unfolds like a storybook, with each chapter being different and every turn of the page offering something new to see. I don't think this will so much be the case with DCA. And it's really no fault of anyone working on DCA 2.0. I get that there's only so much they can do with what was there before. If they were working on DCA 2.0 from scratch things would most certainly be different. It would seem to me they could have brought the turnstiles back even farther into the esplanade for a bit of a better, more spacious result. But I'm sure they know what they're doing better than I do, and I look forward to seeing the final result.

• film975

I believe they way Imagineers designed Buena Vista Street is to eliminate the problem of seeing the Esplanade. I also beleive they mentioned that at the d23 expo.

• Under that tree again!

I just remember feeling that the area under the bridge was a tight squeeze. When people would park it under there, it felt even more trapped. Now, with BVS, there will be vehicles going under it and supposedly shop entrances as well. In addition to sidewalks on each side.[/QUOTE]

Try looking at a bing or google map showing the old street. The building curved in to the bridge. The bridge supports were on the walkway. The dark girders above.

I think with the new street going strait back it will seem much less like a funnel when we walk through. Though the crowds may make it feal more dense as there is sure to be more people going in in the morning. Though at night not as bad since we will be more spread out than when WoC ended and we all marched out together.

The discussion about Radiator Springs as seen inside of RSR got me thinking... what time of day is the actual story of the ride supposed to be taking place at... for some reason I think it is happening at night? but I could be wrong. Won't it be kind of jarring to go from a story that is supposedly taking place at night or day and then burst out in the outdoor portions only to find the exact opposite? Now it would be really cool if the time of day inside the attraction reflected the outside, but I think that is taking my thoughts a bit far!