Page 347 of 668 FirstFirst ... 247297322337344345346347348349350357372397447 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,205 of 10011

• Under that tree again!

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

Quote Originally Posted by jsanch2 View Post
    Now it would be really cool if the time of day inside the attraction reflected the outside, but I think that is taking my thoughts a bit far!
    I imagine as we roam RS and go into Luigi's or Ramones, it will be bright enough that the transition to outdoors won't be a problem at all.

• Lion

The discussion about Radiator Springs as seen inside of RSR got me thinking... what time of day is the actual story of the ride supposed to be taking place at... for some reason I think it is happening at night? but I could be wrong. Won't it be kind of jarring to go from a story that is supposedly taking place at night or day and then burst out in the outdoor portions only to find the exact opposite? Now it would be really cool if the time of day inside the attraction reflected the outside, but I think that is taking my thoughts a bit far!
    No more jarring than every other dark ride at DLR being night time inside (Fantasyland, Splash Mountain, Pirates...).

It's weird how people are suddenly having such significant issues with their suspension of disbelief. I honestly don't mean to belittle anyone's opinion, but it's hard for me not to be a little bit critical of people's lack of imagination. Were you all shocked after your first time on Star Tours to discover that you landed back at Disneyland instead of on Coruscant? Are you perplexed by the fact that you enter PotC during the day but it's suddenly night inside the bayou? And are you baffled at how we somehow manage to time travel on a simple train, witnessing extinct dinosaurs, then only a few minutes later emerge back at Disneyland again? Shocking witchcraft, it is!

There just seems to be this tendency to pull apart new attractions and tear them down for the very same "issues" that are rampant at existing all-time favorite attractions.

• Banned User

The discussion about Radiator Springs as seen inside of RSR got me thinking... what time of day is the actual story of the ride supposed to be taking place at... for some reason I think it is happening at night? but I could be wrong. Won't it be kind of jarring to go from a story that is supposedly taking place at night or day and then burst out in the outdoor portions only to find the exact opposite? Now it would be really cool if the time of day inside the attraction reflected the outside, but I think that is taking my thoughts a bit far!
    I get what you mean. I remember hearing something about nightttime, too. It would be a little odd to start off in a night setting and somehow time travel to race during the day. Maybe they're saving the night segment for after the race? If there even is a night...sequence? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    No more jarring than every other dark ride at DLR being night time inside (Fantasyland, Splash Mountain, Pirates...).

It's weird how people are suddenly having such significant issues with their suspension of disbelief. I honestly don't mean to belittle anyone's opinion, but it's hard for me not to be a little bit critical of people's lack of imagination. Were you all shocked after your first time on Star Tours to discover that you landed back at Disneyland instead of on Coruscant? Are you perplexed by the fact that you enter PotC during the day but it's suddenly night inside the bayou? And are you baffled at how we somehow manage to time travel on a simple train, witnessing extinct dinosaurs, then only a few minutes later emerge back at Disneyland again? Shocking witchcraft, it is!

There just seems to be this tendency to pull apart new attractions and tear them down for the very same "issues" that are rampant at existing all-time favorite attractions.
    *claps* Thank you Simba, I totally agree with this post. There are simply some things that Disney can't control, which leaves the imagination of the guest to fill in the gaps. That's how it's always been, and frankly I like it that way.

• Banned User

I don't think it was that serious.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    I get what you mean. I remember hearing something about nightttime, too. It would be a little odd to start off in a night setting and somehow time travel to race during the day. Maybe they're saving the night segment for after the race? If there even is a night...sequence? Who knows.
    The whole indoor sequence is a night setting.

The guests are introduced to the concept by entering the dark cave after traveling outside. Once inside, you 'accept' its dark because you just went into a cave. But then the story telling takes you into the sequence about meeting the sheriff, Mack, cow tipping, and then into town. Then you go into the buildings to get ready for the race, and as you start the race you go back 'outside' leaving the building out to the outdoor environment. The idea it's darker 'inside' some structure than it is outside, helps you accept that it can be light outside even after you came from some place dark.

Basically the transitions of 'entering a cave' help you accept going from light to dark.. and the idea of 'leaving a building' help you accept going from dark to light. The 'night' period is actually inbetween these two transitions.

---------- Post added 03-06-2012 at 12:31 PM ----------

No, but these transitions are not handled haphazardly in a well designed attraction. I think RSR addresses these transitions decently from what we have seen of the ride so far. You aren't blindly thrown from one to the other.. there are transitions implemented and controlling from what you goto to another to help 'transport' you so to speak. Same as the implementation of dark blindness done in the waterfalls in POTC.

So I don't think it's out of line to question how such things are handled. Some do it much better than others and it is an actual design aspect of the ride.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    I don't think it was that serious.
    Yeah it definitely was not really that serious... just thinking out loud so we can pass the time between now and summer and finally get to ride!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    If people really want to peer out past the turnstiles and see the Esplanade, and if that somehow snaps them back into the reality that they are not in 1928 Los Feliz going down to the corner market for ruffage and hamhocks and the afternoon edition of the Los Angeles Herald-Express (google it) but they are just in a theme park, then they were looking to try and do that.
    It's not so much the views of things "outside theme" that is the problem. As you say, you can look hard enough to find these things everywhere (and I personally don't think something off in the distance breaks theme of your immediate area). It's more about the issue of BVS encouraging people to hang out fairly close to entrance turnstiles than anything. Notice in Disneyland the ticket turnstiles are somewhat separated from Main Street proper by a berm, and that nobody really chooses to hang out by these turnstiles. You can go sit on a bench in Main Street and you are disconnected from the fact that people keep entering a theme park. just a few feet from you because you can't see them: you just see people coming in from a nondescript tunnel

The little courtyard at the front of BVS is right by the entrance turnstiles: there's no buffer zone or separation from this. So you're sitting on a bench on BVS but if you're looking north you're basically looking at a bunch of people entering and exiting a theme park. THAT is more the issue to me (and secondarily that you can see out to the esplanade, but that's a much smaller issue). It's not a huge issue, but like I said, some buffer separating that very "theme park" operation from the rest of the show would be nice if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The whole indoor sequence is a night setting.
    ...No, but these transitions are not handled haphazardly in a well designed attraction. I think RSR addresses these transitions decently from what we have seen of the ride so far. You aren't blindly thrown from one to the other.. there are transitions implemented and controlling from what you goto to another to help 'transport' you so to speak. Same as the implementation of dark blindness done in the waterfalls in POTC.

So I don't think it's out of line to question how such things are handled. Some do it much better than others and it is an actual design aspect of the ride.
    A lot of the dark rides have an Inside/Outside in how the ride works where you enter the ride through a structure and then emerge into a new 'outside' with the building being the transition. For instance we enter the Haunted Mansion first and then we go out into the night time grave yard, in Peter Pan's flight we flying into the house of the Darling children and then fly out the window to Neverland, and in RSR we will enter a cave structure and then emerge into a twilight bathed Radiator Springs and on the way out we enter a shop in town and then exit back to the real outside. The building/cave acts as a transition to a new 'outside'.

• Air Pirate

I see what you mean but I also see the other point. Instead of once you are off the ride you are back to day-time and in Disneyland, with RSR this happens during the ride and not after you get off.
    -------------------------------------
    “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”
    ~Leonardo da Vinci

“If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse.”
    ~Walt Disney

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

Quote Originally Posted by WED View Post
    It's not so much the views of things "outside theme" that is the problem. As you say, you can look hard enough to find these things everywhere (and I personally don't think something off in the distance breaks theme of your immediate area). It's more about the issue of BVS encouraging people to hang out fairly close to entrance turnstiles than anything. Notice in Disneyland the ticket turnstiles are somewhat separated from Main Street proper by a berm, and that nobody really chooses to hang out by these turnstiles. You can go sit on a bench in Main Street and you are disconnected from the fact that people keep entering a theme park. just a few feet from you because you can't see them: you just see people coming in from a nondescript tunnel

The little courtyard at the front of BVS is right by the entrance turnstiles: there's no buffer zone or separation from this. So you're sitting on a bench on BVS but if you're looking north you're basically looking at a bunch of people entering and exiting a theme park. THAT is more the issue to me (and secondarily that you can see out to the esplanade, but that's a much smaller issue). It's not a huge issue, but like I said, some buffer separating that very "theme park" operation from the rest of the show would be nice if possible.
    Yes! Thank you! As I also wrote, before, for me it's not as much a matter of being able to see outside the park, as it is about even being able to see the turnstiles, or anything else that isn't part of the illusion. But it's even more about not having a true portal between the mundane and the magical. There is just something that happens, like a switch that gets flipped, when I walk through the tunnels and see the posters. It's then, and only then, that I really feel like I'm no longer part of the world outside.

Again, I think that BVS will be beautiful and will prevent views of the outside, pretty well. Also, I understand that building a berm, like the one at Disneyland, wasn't feasible (for multiple reasons), but I can still wish that there had been a way to add a gateway like that to DCA. I can imagine something like a bridge (with tunnels under it) that the RCT could travel over... or something like that. Oh, well. I will definitely enjoy DCA Mk II, a lot, either way.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Minion

No previous attraction has taken us outside in the middle of the ride before (with the exception being Splash Mountain whose outdoor segments are more like transitions anyway, and Alice in Wonderland whose indoor setting isn't specified to necessarily be night or day).
    with RSR it seems like they're involving us in a story that takes place predominantly at night, then throwing us into the daytime. And it's the climax of the attraction, so obviously some might think its a bit jarring, almost as if a daytime drive is a wrench in the continuity built up by the extensive dark ride portions.

No need to get defensive, it was a valid question...

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    No previous attraction has taken us outside in the middle of the ride before (with the exception being Splash Mountain whose outdoor segments are more like transitions anyway, and Alice in Wonderland whose indoor setting isn't specified to necessarily be night or day).
    with RSR it seems like they're involving us in a story that takes place predominantly at night, then throwing us into the daytime. And it's the climax of the attraction, so obviously some might think its a bit jarring, almost as if a daytime drive is a wrench in the continuity built up by the extensive dark ride portions.

No need to get defensive, it was a valid question...
    Well, if you make exceptions for the ones that do, then of course not.

Test Track, Alice, Splash Mt., The Matterhorn, Norway's Boat Ride, and The Tower of Terror all have significant indoor and outdoor portions. If it works for Splash as a "transition" and isn't to bad in Alice, then can't the same be worked into this? Also, the Matterhorn and the Tower of Terror are both examples of attractions that are specifically nighttime-esque inside. The library video for ToT and the lift-hill for The Matterhorn are both explicitly night settings and then both emerge into the daylight. I think the same is true for Norway's attraction as well. Test Track falls into the same category as Alice I guess. No distinction between night or day.

I'm thinking that most people, especially the average guest, won't be bothered by the night/day aspect of RSR. They will simply enjoy it as the high quality/themed/immersive attraction it is. You are being transported to the world that these characters exist in. It won't matter what time of day it is.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Well, if you make exceptions for the ones that do, then of course not.

Test Track, Alice, Splash Mt., The Matterhorn, Norway's Boat Ride, and The Tower of Terror all have significant indoor and outdoor portions. If it works for Splash as a "transition" and isn't to bad in Alice, then can't the same be worked into this? Also, the Matterhorn and the Tower of Terror are both examples of attractions that are specifically nighttime-esque inside. The library video for ToT and the lift-hill for The Matterhorn are both explicitly night settings and then both emerge into the daylight. I think the same is true for Norway's attraction as well. Test Track falls into the same category as Alice I guess. No distinction between night or day.
    I agree and it definitely won't bother me, but I just wanted to point out why RSR's transition could be considered more sudden. With the rides you mentioned, the outdoor portions are not really integrated into the story, they're more aesthetic details, if that makes sense. The Matterhorn is about racing through the mountain, ToT is about dropping into the fifth dimension, while RSR is about a race through Radiator Springs. While the previous two's outdoor elements don't interrupt the story being told, RSR's case involves a problem in continuity in the actual story guests ar trying to be integrated into, if that makes sense.

Again, I personally don't think it'll be a problem, but there's still a good argument there