Page 348 of 668 FirstFirst ... 248298323338345346347348349350351358373398448 ... LastLast
Results 5,206 to 5,220 of 10011
  1. #5206

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Well, if you make exceptions for the ones that do, then of course not.

    Test Track, Alice, Splash Mt., The Matterhorn, Norway's Boat Ride, and The Tower of Terror all have significant indoor and outdoor portions. If it works for Splash as a "transition" and isn't to bad in Alice, then can't the same be worked into this? Also, the Matterhorn and the Tower of Terror are both examples of attractions that are specifically nighttime-esque inside. The library video for ToT and the lift-hill for The Matterhorn are both explicitly night settings and then both emerge into the daylight. I think the same is true for Norway's attraction as well. Test Track falls into the same category as Alice I guess. No distinction between night or day.

    Is Matterhorn explicitly a night setting for the lift? I always thought it was just super dark because you were like...in the mountain. I never picked up on any sort of time frame on that one.

    Tower of Terror is the closest example, I think, to RSR in terms of day/night. I guess they've gotta give at some point, but it's definitely not like POTC, where you're in the night setting the entire length of the ride.

  2. #5207

    • We set sail for the sky
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    364

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    I guess those that are bothered by the night/day transition will simply have to ride RSR only at night! Problem solved!

  3. #5208

    • Tech in Training
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    342

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    I think one of the biggest things to consider is that the ride you take may be meant to span a much longer time period than the time you actually spend on the ride, just as many other rides do. For example, we're told the story on Alice in Wonderland quite quickly but we see just snippets and move through the ride very quickly. It encompasses a lot of story in a short amount of time by abridging a lot. Splash mountain does the same thing by showing snippets of the action while not showing everything in order to both keep the guests interest level high and the attraction length to a manageable level. RSR is a bit different in that it is slightly more story driven (although luckily not too heavily), but the transition should not be a problem. Unless I'm mistaken the whole idea of the entire ride is that you're going to Radiator Springs for a big race. When you get in the car, it's basically the day before the race and you're out sightseeing around the mountains, and then you go inside in which it becomes the night before the race. You then enter the town and do whatever goes on inside the show building. When the track splits, it kind of serves as a transition to the morning of the race. The lighting of Luigi's and Ramone's (I think that's who it is) will probably be quite a bit brighter than the rest of the scenes in the show building and the starting line will probably be brighter lit as well. So when you travel out of the mountains, it'll really not be a harsh transition at all. This is of course me guessing how the attraction is going to be lit and run, but it seems that it won't be too much of a problem, especially if they change the lighting at the start of the race to match the time of day outside. I hope that all makes sense, but if anyone knows more than I do, please let us all know.

  4. #5209

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,827

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    While the previous two's outdoor elements don't interrupt the story being told, RSR's case involves a problem in continuity in the actual story guests ar trying to be integrated into, if that makes sense.

    Again, I personally don't think it'll be a problem, but there's still a good argument there
    It's addressed in the ride's design. Read this post and watch the pre-viz video of the ride.

    Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    The ride is broken into three stages.. each with transitions. The first transition from the outdoor cruise to the indoor scenes includes a believable shift in lighting followed by sudden activity to distract the guest and allow them to to shift locales. The second transition to racing includes a believable switch from being indoor and that lighting to being outdoor, and whatever that lighting is.

    By the time the rider hits the second transition to the race phase, they will not be focusing on 'hey it was night just a minute ago...'.

    By busying the mind and senses - designers can effectively 'shift' people and break linearity without the user being concerned over the linearity.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  5. #5210

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    447

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    It's addressed in the ride's design. Read this post and watch the pre-viz video of the ride.

    Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    The ride is broken into three stages.. each with transitions. The first transition from the outdoor cruise to the indoor scenes includes a believable shift in lighting followed by sudden activity to distract the guest and allow them to to shift locales. The second transition to racing includes a believable switch from being indoor and that lighting to being outdoor, and whatever that lighting is.

    By the time the rider hits the second transition to the race phase, they will not be focusing on 'hey it was night just a minute ago...'.

    By busying the mind and senses - designers can effectively 'shift' people and break linearity without the user being concerned over the linearity.
    I don't think the day/night thing is a big deal. But I still think the mini Radiator Springs in the attraction could be a (minor) problem as it will be compared to the much larger and more detailed Carsland version of Radiator Springs. No other Disney attraction attempts to recreate a physical environment you literally just walked through in real life. It is almost guaranteed to feel disjoint by design. Other Disney attractions don't have this problem as the environments they simulate ONLY exist on the ride itself.

  6. #5211

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    9,110
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I agree and it definitely won't bother me, but I just wanted to point out why RSR's transition could be considered more sudden. With the rides you mentioned, the outdoor portions are not really integrated into the story, they're more aesthetic details, if that makes sense. The Matterhorn is about racing through the mountain, ToT is about dropping into the fifth dimension, while RSR is about a race through Radiator Springs. While the previous two's outdoor elements don't interrupt the story being told, RSR's case involves a problem in continuity in the actual story guests ar trying to be integrated into, if that makes sense.

    Again, I personally don't think it'll be a problem, but there's still a good argument there
    I hate it when ToT opens up to bright daylight! haha Maybe that's just me though. I also think that its the reverse on the Matterhorn. You plunge into night before emerging back into daylight.

    I agree that all of the different understandings and opinions are all really interesting to read.

    Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Is Matterhorn explicitly a night setting for the lift? I always thought it was just super dark because you were like...in the mountain. I never picked up on any sort of time frame on that one.

    Tower of Terror is the closest example, I think, to RSR in terms of day/night. I guess they've gotta give at some point, but it's definitely not like POTC, where you're in the night setting the entire length of the ride.
    The confusing part is that there is (or was, and will again be) snow falling inside the tunnel around the lift as a projection effect. So, apparently it is outside, and it is dark hinting at night.

  7. #5212

    • film975
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    1,439

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by WED View Post
    I don't think the day/night thing is a big deal. But I still think the mini Radiator Springs in the attraction could be a (minor) problem as it will be compared to the much larger and more detailed Carsland version of Radiator Springs. No other Disney attraction attempts to recreate a physical environment you literally just walked through in real life. It is almost guaranteed to feel disjoint by design. Other Disney attractions don't have this problem as the environments they simulate ONLY exist on the ride itself.
    That's probably one of the reasons why the ride takes place in a different time period than the outside part of Cars Land does. It's going to be interesting to see how it all works out.

  8. #5213

    • Hello Dolly.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryancr78 View Post
    I guess those that are bothered by the night/day transition will simply have to ride RSR only at night! Problem solved!
    I like the way you think.

  9. #5214

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,827

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by WED View Post
    I don't think the day/night thing is a big deal. But I still think the mini Radiator Springs in the attraction could be a (minor) problem as it will be compared to the much larger and more detailed Carsland version of Radiator Springs. No other Disney attraction attempts to recreate a physical environment you literally just walked through in real life. It is almost guaranteed to feel disjoint by design. Other Disney attractions don't have this problem as the environments they simulate ONLY exist on the ride itself.
    I had the same concern as well.. but after seeing the sets themselves I am not concerned. The inside version of RS you move through is almost like a 'highlights' version just to stress your location where the one outside of course is the full 360 walkthrough. The entrances to Lugis and Ramones looks full on just like the drag outside. They also have what looks like a pretty impressive view to make it look like you are looking down the rest of the street. From my impression, it doesn't look like it going to come off cheap or 'half done' but rather cool that you are moving between these places in the car.. and then drive right on into the shop. The close quarters will give an intimate feel.

    The sets I can't compare to anything else on property in terms of sheer scale. It's like Pirates or Indy in terms of scale of what's around you.. tho of course pirates differs in the volume of things around you.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  10. #5215

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    166

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    [Link to unauthorized site removed] DCA update is up.
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 04-09-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Link removed per board policy.

    " I fight for the users"


  11. #5216

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    First post! I have followed these tracker threads for a long time because I love seeing the transformation of DCA. Being from the southeast US I never thought I would have something to contribute but sometimes you just get lucky. So here we go.

    Pacific Electric red car trolley 623 shipped out today, headed west.

    It's not much but there you go.

  12. #5217

    • Nope! No grown-ups here!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lake Forest, CA
    Posts
    1,214

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by RightTurnClyde View Post
    First post! I have followed these tracker threads for a long time because I love seeing the transformation of DCA. Being from the southeast US I never thought I would have something to contribute but sometimes you just get lucky. So here we go.

    Pacific Electric red car trolley 623 shipped out today, headed west.

    It's not much but there you go.
    Welcome aboard the MiceChat railway! Please remember to keep your hands, arms, feet and esophageal ganglia inside the vehicle at all times. Opinions, facts and wild guesswork, on the other hand, can go anywhere you want.

    Thanks for the info about trolley 623! Even little bits of information like that are always appreciated around here.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

  13. #5218

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    50

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    So, not having seen Cars (the movie), I have a question that hopefully someone can answer.

    This is supposed to be on Rte. 66, right? Does that mean Rte. 66 in the land is actually the road that connects Pacific Wharf with Bugs Land? Or does Rte. 66 come in on the main drag and get designated either left or right at the Ramone's/Luigi's intersection? Clearly it doesn't go through the courthouse, and clearly Rte. 66 didn't end in the middle of the desert...

    Thanks!

  14. #5219

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,593

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Why is everyone on here harping on Radiator Sprigs Racers ride system? There really is no other way to tell the story of the ride without it. And that's what separates Disney's rides from others is that they tell stories.
    I donít think people are ďharpingĒ on the ride system. The point is that the ride system is the same as Test Track. And, itís entirely appropriate for that system to be used on RSRR.

    The issue was that RSRR is not a significant innovative attraction (other than story and application) that shows Disney is capable of pushing the envelope.

    Yes, Carsland is an outstanding environment (rockwork is still something Disney has total leadership in). What people are waiting for is any new cutting edge attraction that shows that Disney IS capable of producing something that will outshine Universalís Spiderman and Harry Potter attractions.

  15. #5220

    • Become part of MY world!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    657

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Route 66 makes a hard right at the courthouse(leading to RSR entrance in the land, nowhere in the movie), you can see this in the plans and in the film.
    Poor unfortunate Souls.

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Disney California Adventure Project Tracker X
    By MasterGracey in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9944
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •