Page 349 of 668 FirstFirst ... 249299324339346347348349350351352359374399449 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,235 of 10011
  1. #5221

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    551

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    I don’t think people are “harping” on the ride system. The point is that the ride system is the same as Test Track. And, it’s entirely appropriate for that system to be used on RSRR.

    The issue was that RSRR is not a significant innovative attraction (other than story and application) that shows Disney is capable of pushing the envelope.

    Yes, Carsland is an outstanding environment (rockwork is still something Disney has total leadership in). What people are waiting for is any new cutting edge attraction that shows that Disney IS capable of producing something that will outshine Universal’s Spiderman and Harry Potter attractions.
    I think thats kind of what I like about RSR. Its kind of like they saw all those technologically advanced rides and said "screw it, let's just make a ridiculously gargantuan landmark" and the rockwork is indeed incredible. Now that they have less space lets see what they do with new technology.

  2. #5222

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Bay Area
    Posts
    523

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    I am so excited to see how this ride turns out... Everything seems to be done on such a large scale that it will blow people away when they are surrounded by the environment. The ride system may not be a huge breakthrough but it is going to be the ability of it to take us to a new place that is going to make this ride something special!

  3. #5223

    • film975
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    1,415

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    I don’t think people are “harping” on the ride system. The point is that the ride system is the same as Test Track. And, it’s entirely appropriate for that system to be used on RSRR.

    The issue was that RSRR is not a significant innovative attraction (other than story and application) that shows Disney is capable of pushing the envelope.

    Yes, Carsland is an outstanding environment (rockwork is still something Disney has total leadership in). What people are waiting for is any new cutting edge attraction that shows that Disney IS capable of producing something that will outshine Universal’s Spiderman and Harry Potter attractions.
    Riding in a real car is gonna feel more realistic to me than any simulator ride could ever dream of accomplishing. And as far as the themeing people seem to get excited about over at Harry Potter, we're gonna get that in Cars Land and in Buena Vista Street as well.

  4. #5224

    • Junior Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,314

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Does CarsLand represents a more modern take on the 'old' west i.e. a more recent and modern FrontierLand?
    _____________________________________
    Brian Kolm the Atomic Bear - comics, cartoons, artwork and instruction.
    http://www.atomicbearpress.com

  5. #5225

    • Lion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,267

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    RSR will become the first DLR attraction that combines dark ride with speed thrill ride, and for anyone too afraid to ride Screamin', it will be the fastest DLR attraction they've ever ridden. While the ride system has been used before, it's new to the DLR and it's new to many people. It comes with the added benefit of being a very child-friendly thrill ride.

    Of those concerned with the ride system, how many of you have ridden Test Track or Journey to the Center of the Earth? I just feel like this is a case of don't knock it until you've tried it. I'm not saying you'll love it, because you might not. But I am saying that you can't decry the enjoyment factor of an attraction you've never experienced, even moreso if you've never experienced the ride system before. Don't get so caught up in the technology - try to get lost in the experience first... if you don't enjoy it after that, then you can cite reasons why.

  6. #5226

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,139

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    RSR will become the first DLR attraction that combines dark ride with speed thrill ride, and for anyone too afraid to ride Screamin', it will be the fastest DLR attraction they've ever ridden. While the ride system has been used before, it's new to the DLR and it's new to many people. It comes with the added benefit of being a very child-friendly thrill ride.

    Of those concerned with the ride system, how many of you have ridden Test Track or Journey to the Center of the Earth? I just feel like this is a case of don't knock it until you've tried it. I'm not saying you'll love it, because you might not. But I am saying that you can't decry the enjoyment factor of an attraction you've never experienced, even moreso if you've never experienced the ride system before. Don't get so caught up in the technology - try to get lost in the experience first... if you don't enjoy it after that, then you can cite reasons why.
    Personally, I find Test Track to be a terrible experience. I've never understood its appeal outside the fact that it has the "fast" portion. It worries me greatly that Radiator Springs Racers directly lifts scenes from Test Track and repurposes them with Cars characters. I really hope that my concerns are unwarranted and the attraction is a fantastic experience... but I won't hold my breath.

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

  7. #5227

    • " Planet of Puddingheads"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    2,128

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by WED View Post
    I don't think the day/night thing is a big deal. But I still think the mini Radiator Springs in the attraction could be a (minor) problem as it will be compared to the much larger and more detailed Carsland version of Radiator Springs. No other Disney attraction attempts to recreate a physical environment you literally just walked through in real life. It is almost guaranteed to feel disjoint by design. Other Disney attractions don't have this problem as the environments they simulate ONLY exist on the ride itself.
    I'm with you that I don't think the day/night thing is a big deal. When I stop to think about it, the average Joe Disneyland tourist (Non-AP'er) isn't going to say to himself (or herself) "Well, that was weird that it was nightime in the ride and out here it's daytime" They are more likely interested in the "WOW" factor and not transitions that only DLand doofs like us get riled up about. Same goes for the whole Radiator Springs in the ride/outside the ride deal. Does anyone get upset that there really isn't a massive storm when looking through the windows in the hallway of the Haunted Mansion?
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

  8. #5228

    • Lion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,267

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Personally, I find Test Track to be a terrible experience. I've never understood its appeal outside the fact that it has the "fast" portion. It worries me greatly that Radiator Springs Racers directly lifts scenes from Test Track and repurposes them with Cars characters. I really hope that my concerns are unwarranted and the attraction is a fantastic experience... but I won't hold my breath.
    And roller coasters remain fun (for many), despite most of those being only a "fast portion." What's the appeal of the Matterhorn or BTMRR, for that matter? Other than a few very mildly entertaining scenes or a goat or a yeti, those are all about the "fast portion." Without the "fast portion" they'd be a pretty boring trip.

    And RSR is far more themed and has a much greater dark ride aspect than those attractions.

    Disney can't please everyone. They have to build an attraction that they believe will entertain the most amount of people and be broadly appealing. I see RSR doing that. This does not mean everyone will enjoy the attraction. Some people don't like Indy. Some don't like Screamin. Some don't like Soarin. Yet it's hard to argue those are some of the most popular, well-regarded attractions at the resort.

    I can't make anyone have an open mind about something. I also can't make someone who dislikes Test Track with a passion suddenly think that the ride system can be fun. It is what it is. But for those who are bashing the ride for the sole reason that it doesn't break new ground in ride system technology, I'm a little bit critical of their premature dismissals.

  9. #5229

    • MC Blogger
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,058
    Blog Entries
    52

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Like the previous poster Churro Man said, I like that Disney built a landmark and not just an attraction. It's been so long since that was done, beyond GRR. DCA needs these great looking areas, and Carsland will fit the bill. I find Test Track a rush, and not just on the outdoor portion, so I am "thrilled" to have this ride system come to California.

    There's a lot riding on the success of DCA 2.0, so I do not think Disney will fail us here.
    Mark

    Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 500 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

  10. #5230

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,730

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    I'm with you that I don't think the day/night thing is a big deal. When I stop to think about it, the average Joe Disneyland tourist (Non-AP'er) isn't going to say to himself (or herself) "Well, that was weird that it was nightime in the ride and out here it's daytime"
    But ride designers do not rely on people being dumb and oblivious - these points are all part of the show design to manage and RSR has done that. Most people just aren't aware of the manipulations or the techniques used because they are often indirect or subtle.

    ---------- Post added 03-07-2012 at 09:48 AM ----------

    [New Post]
    Instead of showing you in a movie (soarin') RSR will drive you through the ACTUAL canyons..
    Instead of showing you a PROJECTION of a character (FJ) RSR will have the full size thing..

    It's funny how people have been moaning on and on about projections and how Disney doesn't do AA ladden attractions anymore and they build the biggest environment YET.. and people focus on 'well its still just a car on a track'.

    Disney can't win for some.
    Last edited by flynnibus; 03-07-2012 at 06:48 AM.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  11. #5231

    • " Planet of Puddingheads"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the TARDIS
    Posts
    2,128

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    But ride designers do not rely on people being dumb and oblivious - these points are all part of the show design to manage and RSR has done that. Most people just aren't aware of the manipulations or the techniques used because they are often indirect or subtle.
    No I agree with you, I just wonder if Slim and Esther from Montana would actually notice the transitions.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

  12. #5232

    • Lighting Design Lover
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Murrieta, CA
    Posts
    273

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    And roller coasters remain fun (for many), despite most of those being only a "fast portion." What's the appeal of the Matterhorn or BTMRR, for that matter? Other than a few very mildly entertaining scenes or a goat or a yeti, those are all about the "fast portion." Without the "fast portion" they'd be a pretty boring trip.

    And RSR is far more themed and has a much greater dark ride aspect than those attractions.
    Well, I've remained silent long enough in the debacle, but I think Simba is right on the point. I think someone a couple of pages ago brought a comparison to Splash mountain, which I think is perfect. The log flume is by itself a fun and enjoy ride, just like the test track technology is by itself a fun and enjoyable ride, both because they provide so sort of thrills and excitement! Now Disney is taking the test track technology and doing to it what they already did to the log flume technology with Splash Mountain, by creating an intricate story with dark ride scenes and a large immersive environment. No one defines Splash Mountain as just being a log flume, because it is so much more than that! And in the same way I feel that once we ride it no one is going to see RSR as just another test track. Now RSR will benefit from the thrills provided by the underlying test track technology, just like Splash Mountain benefits from the thrills of its underlying technology, but I don't think it will define the ride in the way everyone is scared about.

    On a related note, for those who don't like the test track technology, they may not like RSR, just like people who don't like steep drops or getting wet don't like Splash Mountain, which is unfortunate because the theming is a ride in and of itself! But that is just the nature of the ride I guess.

  13. #5233

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Too Far From Disney
    Posts
    3,497

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    I think of the Test Track technology the same as the Omnimover system. You can use the same type of system to tell different stories just like Walt did.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

  14. #5234

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Autobot Base
    Posts
    2,195

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Personally, I find Test Track to be a terrible experience. I've never understood its appeal outside the fact that it has the "fast" portion. It worries me greatly that Radiator Springs Racers directly lifts scenes from Test Track and repurposes them with Cars characters. I really hope that my concerns are unwarranted and the attraction is a fantastic experience... but I won't hold my breath.
    Test Track's problem is how cold and indifferent the people putting you through the tests are. You might as well be crash-test dummies, which is kind of the idea, but that they're doing human testing and don't seem to give a crap about that fact is really jarring. At least with the Cars characters, you have them welcoming you into town, getting into hijinks with Mater and getting all excited for getting you ready for a race.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

    Flickr

  15. #5235

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

    Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Test Track's problem is how cold and indifferent the people putting you through the tests are. You might as well be crash-test dummies, which is kind of the idea, but that they're doing human testing and don't seem to give a crap about that fact is really jarring. At least with the Cars characters, you have them welcoming you into town, getting into hijinks with Mater and getting all excited for getting you ready for a race.

    I totally agree. Test Track is fun, but there's not a lot of "magic." I'm looking forward to seeing how Disney uses the technology in conjunction with a more traditional Disney, dark ride experience.

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Disney California Adventure Project Tracker X
    By MasterGracey in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9944
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •