Page 352 of 668 FirstFirst ... 252302327342349350351352353354355362377402452 ... LastLast
Results 5,266 to 5,280 of 10011

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

^Why do you think it will break down often?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by mickey11 View Post
    ^Why do you think it will break down often?
    Because of it's complexity. Huge mechanical requirements.

I wonder if they built redundancy into the fan system.. so the system can still operate with n-1 fans in operation so they can continue to operate if one of the air supplies goes down.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Not just the ends.. they enclosed the entire undercarriage all along the sides too. The irony is, the concept art is shown of the original is shown in the video RIGHT BEFORE they show the final version and the difference is stark.

For me it really makes me go 'ew' because now it makes it look like modern electric light rail or street trams. It's a damn shame they weren't able to put an authentic look into park operation
    I think they still have the taste and feel for the time period enough, but it's sad they had to cover the under workings. But on the other hand a lot of people become brainless when they go to a theme park and these trollies will be traversing streets filled with people not paying attention, so I can understand why they did it.

I wonder if the authentic undercarriage is there under the safety cover?

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicBear View Post
    I think they still have the taste and feel for the time period enough, but it's sad they had to cover the under workings. But on the other hand a lot of people become brainless when they go to a theme park and these trollies will be traversing streets filled with people not paying attention, so I can understand why they did it.
    I've thought about that as well. Will the trolleys have a horn or bell to help shew guests out of it's path? The Red Car Trolleys seem bigger than any of the main street vehicles and appear to travel a bit faster. I'm assuming they'll have to stop or slow down due to crowds, especially during the busy first summer.

Because of it's complexity. Huge mechanical requirements.

I wonder if they built redundancy into the fan system.. so the system can still operate with n-1 fans in operation so they can continue to operate if one of the air supplies goes down.
    Huge complexity? Its a fan, blowing air into a trough, and up through small holes. Granted, its not your average fan; however, I cant see how they could have made it that complex for such a simple function.

I don't think it will have any operational issues.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RightTurnClyde View Post
    And I agree, I'm not really liking the "bumpers" they had to add on each end of the trolley.
    Wow -- talk about turning a great-looking period design into kitsch. That wrap-around apron looks like something from modern ground-hugging vehicle design, right down to the shiny plastic finish.

As was posted earlier, it definitely has been Lawyerized.

*studies the video again*

Yup... there's absolutely no way a lawyer could be accidentally crushed under that trolley.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by mickey11 View Post
    Huge complexity? Its a fan, blowing air into a trough, and up through small holes. Granted, its not your average fan; however, I cant see how they could have made it that complex for such a simple function.

I don't think it will have any operational issues.
    It's far more than a simple air hockey table. The complexity is why it hasn't been repeated since the original - getting it to work right requires advanced controls. The huge fans represent many more motors with large masses moving at much higher speeds with things to wear, compared to systems that largely rely on gravity, or direct drive electric motors, etc. In effect, Lugi's is generating all it's own propulsion onsite via mechanical generation.. which is inherently more complex than simple electric direct drive stuff.

I'm more concerned about the cycle time myself. Looking at people in the test videos... its so slow... a normal 60-90sec ride cycle isn't going to be fun at all. It would need to be longer. Imagine spending half your ride just going from one side of the 'ring' to the other.. that would suck.

The slower the rider, the longer the ride cycle needs to be to let guests complete what they 'want' or set out to do. That with a long load time and low capacity = doom for rider throughput.

anyone want to guess how many CMs they will staff to check people's safety before starting the ride? I'm gonna start the betting at.. at least 3.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I can see it being difficult to build up any sort of momentum from a stand still. It would be cool if the sides of the platform had some sort of mechanism that would push the tires when they bump it, like those things in pinball machines. Just to help get things moving... If all the vehicles are filled with untrained guests, there might never be any bumping... just a lot of hovering in place.

• Toad Hall

It's far more than a simple air hockey table. The complexity is why it hasn't been repeated since the original - getting it to work right requires advanced controls. The huge fans represent many more motors with large masses moving at much higher speeds with things to wear, compared to systems that largely rely on gravity, or direct drive electric motors, etc. In effect, Lugi's is generating all it's own propulsion onsite via mechanical generation.. which is inherently more complex than simple electric direct drive stuff.

I'm more concerned about the cycle time myself. Looking at people in the test videos... its so slow... a normal 60-90sec ride cycle isn't going to be fun at all. It would need to be longer. Imagine spending half your ride just going from one side of the 'ring' to the other.. that would suck.

The slower the rider, the longer the ride cycle needs to be to let guests complete what they 'want' or set out to do. That with a long load time and low capacity = doom for rider throughput.

anyone want to guess how many CMs they will staff to check people's safety before starting the ride? I'm gonna start the betting at.. at least 3.
    I also have a feeling that if one of the tires has some sort of rip it would shut down the ride and have to bring out a vehicle to remove it or even if the turn mechanism does not work, it would shut down again for a period of time. I think the little holes shooting air out will eventually get clogged with dirt and have to be changed out to make it perfect.
    But who knows how it will really work.

But mostly im excited to ride it in the rain, having it shoot water back up. haha
    <font size=4> </font>

• We set sail for the sky

Maybe I'm in the minority but the design of the red car trolley vehicles is exactly what I was expecting and I think they look terrific. I'm having a really hard time imagining guests relaxing in the splendor of Buena Vista street and suddenly sitting up as the RCT passes by and gasping "Dear lord just look at the break in theme caused by those lawyer-approved trolley cars! I completely believed that I had been transported back to California in the 20s until I saw those undercarriages!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancr78 View Post
    Maybe I'm in the minority but the design of the red car trolley vehicles is exactly what I was expecting and I think they look terrific. I'm having a really hard time imagining guests relaxing in the splendor of Buena Vista street and suddenly sitting up as the RCT passes by and gasping "Dear lord just look at the break in theme caused by those lawyer-approved trolley cars! I completely believed that I had been transported back to California in the 20s until I saw those undercarriages!"
    THIS

Thank you! Welcome to the minority, apparently.

I'm confused why anyone is surprised about the lawyer-approved-ness. Did you really expect them to be designed without an over-abundance of caution?

And weren't we all just commending Disney's better-safe-than-sorry response to the recent security issue? I think Disney should again be commended for trying to help keep people safe (when we all know people generally have a difficult time doing that for themselves).
    Last edited by mcstewart37; 03-08-2012 at 11:09 AM.

• Lion

The trolley isn't that much different than one of the original models...

Stock Photograph of Pacific Electric Railroad Car - World of Stock

I also remember hearing that they were going to have different variations of the trolley in use - perhaps the other "models" will be different.

Not just the ends.. they enclosed the entire undercarriage all along the sides too. The irony is, the concept art is shown of the original is shown in the video RIGHT BEFORE they show the final version and the difference is stark.

For me it really makes me go 'ew' because now it makes it look like modern electric light rail or street trams. It's a damn shame they weren't able to put an authentic look into park operation
    Actually the side skirts seem to be period correct if you look at the pictures here (although the whole trolley sits lower to the ground):

http://www.stubchaer.com/Pacific_Ele...haer/index.htm

The "bumpers" are way too big though. They were there on the originals but they were much smaller in proportion to the end of the trolley.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

They could maybe try to play with the intitial fan settings to create "high" and "low" pressure areas in order to get things going. If a "wave" of pressure went across the surface to start, you could at least get some momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    The trolley isn't that much different than one of the original models...

Stock Photograph of Pacific Electric Railroad Car - World of Stock

I also remember hearing that they were going to have different variations of the trolley in use - perhaps the other "models" will be different.

From what I have been told, the second trolley is identical to the first other than color scheme.

Also, just to be clear I am not "bashing" the trolley design. If I ever get to ride one, I'll be grinning from ear to ear.