Page 381 of 668 FirstFirst ... 281331356371378379380381382383384391406431481 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,715 of 10011

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I agree, but think Carsland is at risk from an even bigger danger: its own over-the-top hype. Disney will doubtless shovel so many superlatives on Carsland that it'll be buried in the verbage. What applause Carsland earns will be drowned out by the roar of the PR as Disney spins their social media machine to the max.
    Ridiculous criticism. Seems like a desperate attempt to dismiss a very promising project before it has even opened

I agree, but think Carsland is at risk from an even bigger danger: its own over-the-top hype. Disney will doubtless shovel so many superlatives on Carsland that it'll be buried in the verbage. What applause Carsland earns will be drowned out by the roar of the PR as Disney spins their social media machine to the max.
    I don't see a problem with the hype they are creating. I wouldn't say it is too much. They haven't really done that much other than post some pictures and videos online and feature te land in a fairly obscure place at DCA (Do most guests even know about or pay attention to the BSC?). Disney hasn't even started advertising it on TV or billboards. There was that one media preview but I wouldn't cal that over the top.

I think most of the hype comes from the fact that construction has been so visible for so long. People see this massive and impressive thing being created and are very interested. To me that means the hype is justified.
    Last edited by mcstewart37; 03-21-2012 at 04:43 PM.

• film975

Radiator Springs Racers is gonna be way beyond anything Test Track could ever hope to be. It's gonna have well detailed show scenes and life-size animatronic characters. Test Track really doesn't have much of that at all.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    The closer we get to the opening of Carsland, the less impressed I am with the attractions being portrayed in all these videos. Luigi's Tires looks to suffer from being too lethargic, Mater's will be an ordinary spinner, and RSR is going to be a severely toned down version of Test Track with pretty sights to see. I'm calling it right now that no one will be satisfied after waiting 2-4 hours for these attractions. Al Lutz has already confirmed my fears about Luigi's; this is a sightseeing land for children, not the next Indiana Jones Adventure in terms of pushing limits. We will simply be left with pretty mountains, queues, and buildings with little satisfaction from the actual ride systems.
    I completely agree with this statement and Mr Wiggins'. Good theming shouldn't justify attractions, it should enhance them. Just because there are fake mountains in the background doesn't make a ride anymore exciting. And before anyone defends how great Carsland is amd says we're judging a land before its opened, well I'd like to point out that you're doing the same thing.

I actually feel that Disney has been pretty moderate with their hyping thus far. Don't the naysayers realize that all we've seen are bits and pieces; tidbits as they say? So far all I've seen look promising. Those that have already started to negatively critique the land should probably hold themselves accountable for doing all the overhyping on their own and that's why they are already disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I completely agree with this statement and Mr Wiggins'. Good theming shouldn't justify attractions, it should enhance them. Just because there are fake mountains in the background doesn't make a ride anymore exciting. And before anyone defends how great Carsland is amd says we're judging a land before its opened, well I'd like to point out that you're doing the same thing.
    Can't make everyone happy. Just stick to whatever you think is better. And I think Cars Land will do just fine anyway.

• Sock Puppet

I'm trying to stay far away from the videos and previews of Cars Land. I watched alot of stuff from the little mermaid before It opened and I think that all the knowledge I had of it dulled the excitement when I saw it...by the time I saw it I was like "meh" because I saw most of it. I say don't watch videos. It will make it better.

• revolutionary waltz

I'm curious about your opinion of Haunted Mansion then. You cannot tell me that Haunted Mansion's appeal is the omnimover, especially since, iirc, the omnimover was chosen after the theme was chosen.

• Lion

Good theming shouldn't justify attractions, it should enhance them. Just because there are fake mountains in the background doesn't make a ride anymore exciting.
    LOL!!! Tell that to fans of Big Thunder, Space Mountain, the Matterhorn, the Disneyland Railroad, the Jungle Cruise, etc, etc, etc. Take away the decorations/set ("theming") and you're left with NOTHING. A couple of slow, run-of-the mill roller coasters, a steam train ride you can find in half the amusement parks in the country, and a boat ride.

---------- Post added 03-21-2012 at 10:21 PM ----------

Sounds like you're projecting. Your own issues with Disney's current state is causing you to believe that everyone else will see it the way you do. They don't, and most won't.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by simba View Post
    LOL!!! Tell that to fans of Big Thunder, Space Mountain, the Matterhorn, the Disneyland Railroad, the Jungle Cruise, etc, etc, etc. Take away the decorations/set ("theming") and you're left with NOTHING. A couple of slow, run-of-the mill roller coasters, a steam train ride you can find in half the amusement parks in the country, and a boat ride.

---------- Post added 03-21-2012 at 10:21 PM ----------

Sounds like you're projecting. Your own issues with Disney's current state is causing you to believe that everyone else will see it the way you do. They don't, and most won't.
    BTMR, SM, and Matterhorn are fun rides in their own right, the themeing enhances fast roller coaster rides.
    Jungle Cruise, HM, POTC all rely on story over scenery to immerse guests. Speeding past mountains is not story.

And funny you should mention BTMRR...now that I think about it, RSR is a lot alike BTMRR in ways....hmmmmm......

RSR is meant to renew a fledgling park--I feel like it doesn't quite meet the hype. After seeing videos, I'd say it's somewhat fair to make that statement. The real question is what do you have to say about Luigis and Maters?

There is more hype about these attractions on these boards than just about anywhere I have seen. I have spoken with friends, family members even people at DCA who really have no idea what is coming. They love their time at the park, they don't get wrapped up in what is coming.

I see Luigis and Mater's for what they are, simplier attractions that will help bring motion, character and interest to the area. Maters is really a B type attraction. It is a take on a spinner with a nod to the older whip type ride. It is going to be fun just like I enjoy Tea Cups. Do I expect more? Nope. Totally happy with that.

Luigis is interesting. I am happy that they have attempted to do something that was attempted before (ultimately unsuccesfully about 50 years ago). In a perfect world it would be about a D level attraction but will probably settle at C as the ride time will be short and it sounds like there will be a learning curve to maximize the movement. I predict that on these boards it will be the biggest failure of Cars Land.
    The Mur

• Banned User

I want so bad for Cars Land to be successful because I love the DLR. I want to see the resort grow. I am not anti Disney or anti DCA in any way. Quite the opposite. I have been so excited about RSR, but have to admit that the last few videos I have seen are a little dissappointing. DCA desperately needed a family friendly e-ticket thrill ride. It looks like the thrill part might not be there at all. If the darkride section is absolutely mind blowingly spectacular, then that would offset the lack of thrills IMHO, but I dont realy get the feeling it will quite reach those heights. I know a lot of the passholders care more about theming than the actual rides, but you can be assured that vacationers care first about amazing attractions and the fact that we are enveloped in these incredible detailed lands, is the icing on the cake that has always made Disney parks special. Detailed theming, however, will never take the place of, or make up for, amazing attractions. I feel they have made a total blunder with the secondary attractions for Carsland, and RSR is truly going to have to be one of the absolute greatest attractions Disney has ever produced to make the money they have spent pay off. This land needs to be truly fantastic for all age groups for the money they have spent, and I can assure you that 2 of the three attractions for the land will have no appeal whatsoever to a large section of the population. So, RSR has got to be DCA's Harry Potter, Spiderman, Indiana Jones or Splash Mountain. Otherwise they have made some horrible decisions.

• Minion

RSR is meant to renew a fledgling park--I feel like it doesn't quite meet the hype. After seeing videos, I'd say it's somewhat fair to make that statement. The real question is what do you have to say about Luigis and Maters?
    So RSR is not meeting the hype after two 30-second videos were released showing ride testing? Not all the effects, lighting, speed, or theming complete; just ride testing.

To say that theming is only part of the experience is a joke. Theming is all the experience. If you take the theming and story out of Pirates, you have a boat ride. If you take the theming and story out of Haunted Mansion, you have a simple omnimover attraction. If you take all the theming and story out of RSR, you have a bare-bones race. Theming is the entire experience in any successful Disney attraction.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

All I'm going to say is that Disneyland (along with other Disney Magic Kingdom parks) is widely considered to be the best theme park. It is not nearly so widely considered to be the best ride park.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• LOL!!!!!!! (MC teen joke)

BTMR, SM, and Matterhorn are fun rides in their own right, the themeing enhances fast roller coaster rides.
    Have you ridden Space Mountain with the lights on? Yeah....not that exiting anymore. And BTMR without any of the theming (just imagine the structure looking similar to GSS. Just the track and supports. That's it.) would be just the same. The theming is what makes it fun. Especially on BTMR and Matterhorn. You pass by the scenery to closely that it also makes the ride seem faster.
    The Original Teen Scene of MiceChat:
    fangalicious44 padgerfan monorailorange33 SS77 A113 animekiti4christ DapperJoshua Performerinwaiting MainStreetJake dmtnt55 MikeSkellington
    JungleCruiseFan Ckelef1 Incrediboy The Disneylander GummiBearsRock iskategoofy *disneyprincess* stevo505 Dragonfire Colorized DisneyLove littleactressann Kritter