Page 394 of 668 FirstFirst ... 294344369384391392393394395396397404419444494 ... LastLast
Results 5,896 to 5,910 of 10011

• Minion

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

Quote Originally Posted by DL714 View Post
    Hahaha... No... There is a comparison of the two, somewhere in this thread or in the forum archive. The DCA version is the more accurate recreation.

Why didn't they go with a mission style entrance? Let's see...

(1) Maybe they didn't want people comparing the entrance of DCA to that of Knott's Berry Farm?

(2) Maybe they had a more complete appreciation of the architectural history of the period? For the record, BVS is an eclectic mix of a number of styles from the period, from Art Deco to Spanish Revival to Streamline Moderne. There is a chronological progression between styles, but they all coexisted, influenced later iterations of each other, and intermingled at one time.

(3) Maybe, they wanted an architectural style for the entrance that connoted and still connotes the idea of being transported to a different place and time. Of the three styles I've mentioned, Streamline Moderne would have served that purpose the best.
    Well, not necessarily mission-style but something that didn't clash with the BVS buildings like the sleek, teal, metallic fins of the current entrance, IMO, would've been better. The proposed train station entrance sounded really cool! Just because it's a more accurate representation doesn't make it automatically better.

And even looking at the comparisons I can't see the difference...yeah DCA's is more spread out I don't think that makes it better. If anything, I think DHS' is better just because it's original.

---------- Post added 03-25-2012 at 01:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WildForMrToad View Post
    How is Toy story Midway any better at DHS then at DCA. If anything I would rather have the victorian facade over the toy theme anyday.

To me this looks cheap

And this looks elegant
    Its what's on the inside that makes the difference in quality between the two attractions.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I love this shot from Dateline Disneyland!! This is such a better looking park!

Attachment 18350
    Looking at this photo made me think... anyone else think it would be cool if they had spotlights pointing up in the sky around the Carthay at night, as if there were a movie premiere? I'm not trying to speculate or predict anything, just talking out loud.

• Toad Hall

Red Car Trolley cables have been installed near Tower of Terror#fbpic.twitter.com/7mf6VS5Q

https://p.twimg.com/Ao3hheXCIAAZVCS.jpg
    !!
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 03-26-2012 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Hotlinked image
    <font size=4> </font>

• Disneyman

The Lighting in Cars Land is going to look incredible!

http://www.disneygeek.net/updates/20...e/IMG_0423.jpg
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 03-26-2012 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Hotlinked image
    "It's fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

• Minion

Idk why I am not a fan of the trolley wires I think it makes the area more messy but this is IMO but I do love the trolleys though are the wires actually powering the trolley or just their for decoration because the video I saw showed the trolleys rolling on its own without the wires

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

Step into the Magic
    Watch the stories come alive
    Step into the Magic
    Every color shines so bright
    Step into the Magic!!!!

-Disneyland Forever Fireworks

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

The wires are purely for show and also a trick from WDI's bag o' tricks in that it will keep your eyes from looking up above the wires. Since there are quite a few sightline issues in the area of Red Car it somewhat solves them. The Red Cars run of batteries. I think at each stop they have wireless chargers but I'm not sure of that, I think I saw that mentioned somewhere at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungImagineer View Post
    From a kids point of view, Mad T party looks fun. It looks crazy and awesome just like Tim Burton's remake. I personally loved that film and Mad T party looks like an awesome summer party. Kids who go to DCA (teens too) don't care if it takes up space or is crowded and tacky. If it has loud music and lights, it's better than sitting down in a hotel room. I love these summer parties as long as they don't stay too long.
    I would prefer the sitting down in the room next to Mad T party. I find it sad that my age group can't see this as tacky.

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Its what's on the inside that makes the difference in quality between the two attractions.
    Once you step into the vehicle and are dispatched into the ride, both Midway Manias are identical attractions.

The loading areas are different though.

DHS Toy Story Midway Mania loading area and CM Costume
    Name:  2627229508_5e03c647f4_z.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  196.4 KB Name:  toy-story-midway-mania-picture-063.JPG
Views: 709
Size:  37.4 KBName:  WDWMGMTSM_midway_game_box_goldhaber.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  55.4 KBName:  2620852231_edba87861c.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  206.7 KB

DCA Toy Story Midway Mania loading area and CM Costume
    Name:  2574828137_f3a2244077.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  150.9 KBName:  4381262574_773f9a82ab.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  192.1 KB
    Last edited by Westsider; 03-25-2012 at 04:15 PM.

• Minion

^I meant the queue line--even though it's not part of the actual ride it's a huge part of the experience and putting guests in an environment.

• 60 Dazzling Years!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    I still like the older CA entrance because it was unique. The one we have now looks it was modeled after the on in DHS. in fact it was, even the same red letters. teal was once the main color in paradise pier and everyone said it was ugly. but everything else is looking nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    Sure, the original entrance was unique but the entire entrance area was too weak overall. In fact, the entire park had elements that were very un-Disney, which gladly have been removed or appropriately replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuenaVista28 View Post
    If you do a side by side comparison of DHS entry and DCA's, youll see that DCA's is much nicer. I know they are similar, but DCA's is a notch above DHS's.
    Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    In regards to the Pan-Pacific entrance to DCA, I remember Bob Weis saying that as part of BVS, they were trying to recreate iconic Los Angeles landmarks that were no longer there. Hence the red cars, Pan-Pacific entrance, and Carthay. I remember him saying that those 3 were chosen because the styles and ideals they represent help tie all the surrounding styles and architectures used throughout the street.
    I agree that the CA version is the more accurate representation, the only problem I have is the color. I understand they were trying to replicate the original color, but I don't think it was necessary. Everyone would still get the idea that it is representing the Pan Pacific auditorium by the design alone. I would have preferred to see a color that worked better with the rest of Buena Vista Street. As it is now, the color makes it stick out like a sore thumb.

Well, not necessarily mission-style but something that didn't clash with the BVS buildings like the sleek, teal, metallic fins of the current entrance, IMO, would've been better. The proposed train station entrance sounded really cool! Just because it's a more accurate representation doesn't make it automatically better.

And even looking at the comparisons I can't see the difference...yeah DCA's is more spread out I don't think that makes it better. If anything, I think DHS' is better just because it's original.

---------- Post added 03-25-2012 at 01:53 PM ----------

IN YOUR OPINION, the PP clashes with the other buildings. IN THE OPINION of the imagineers and architects who designed the street, it clearly does not.

Let's try this again. IN YOUR OPINION, the DCA PP is not necessarily better because it is a more accurate representation. IN THE OPINION of the imagineers and architects who designed the entrance, there was obviously some merit and virtue to a more faithful recreation because they chose to make the effort and spend the money to draft new plans.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Quote Originally Posted by OC2Epcot View Post
    I agree that the CA version is the more accurate representation, the only problem I have is the color. I understand they were trying to replicate the original color, but I don't think it was necessary. Everyone would still get the idea that it is representing the Pan Pacific auditorium by the design alone. I would have preferred to see a color that worked better with the rest of Buena Vista Street. As it is now, the color makes it stick out like a sore thumb.
    Agreed. The color is a hit and miss for me. I actually don't mind the color as it stands alone. It's bold yet vintage/retro and the red letters just complete the whole picture and really create a nice monument to that 1930's Los Angeles look. It photographs really well too, especially with a partially cloudy sky or right around sunset when the gold light hits them. However, when looking at the whole picture, it does stick at the moment. I have hopes once the whole project is completed it will blend even better. It does seem to mesh well with the more streamline modern look of Oswald's Filling Station and there seems to be about 2-3 other storefronts (Mortimer's Market, Trolley Treats, and the far end of Elias and Co. that will be the "jewelry store" portion of the dept. store), judging from the current progress and elevation artwork, that are a similar blue color. Pair those with the nice barrier of trees right past the turnstiles and other landscaping to come and it should create a more blending look. It looks great with the whole picture in the concept art and older model.

Quote Originally Posted by WildForMrToad View Post
    Thank you for sharing that picture of the catenary wires for the RCT. I saw it earlier on Twitter and was going to share but you beat me too it It's going to look great and really create that authentic period look once they have the wires crossing all the way from Hollywood Land down BVS. That picture with the wires already makes the ToT look more "old timey" to me. Just like all the old pictures of the LA area with the RCT I've seen and even studied. I think it's a brilliant use of theming that shows dedication to authentic theming and truly taking the guest back to this different place and time while also being used as a nice device, along with smart landscaping, for keeping the guest eyes more grounded in their surroundings.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 03-26-2012 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Hotlinked image in quote

^I meant the queue line--even though it's not part of the actual ride it's a huge part of the experience and putting guests in an environment.
    So is the DCA Version. The interior design of the queue is consistent with the experience of a Victorian, seaside resort.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    Agreed. The color is a hit and miss for me. I actually don't mind the color as it stands alone. It's bold yet vintage/retro and the red letters just complete the whole picture and really create a nice monument to that 1930's Los Angeles look. It photographs really well too, especially with a partially cloudy sky or right around sunset when the gold light hits them. However, when looking at the whole picture, it does stick at the moment. I have hopes once the whole project is completed it will blend even better. It does seem to mesh well with the more streamline modern look of Oswald's Filling Station and there seems to be about 2-3 other storefronts (Mortimer's Market, Trolley Treats, and the far end of Elias and Co. that will be the "jewelry store" portion of the dept. store), judging from the current progress and elevation artwork, that are a similar blue color. Pair those with the nice barrier of trees right past the turnstiles and other landscaping to come and it should create a more blending look. It looks great with the whole picture in the concept art and older model.

Thank you for sharing that picture of the catenary wires for the RCT. I saw it earlier on Twitter and was going to share but you beat me too it It's going to look great and really create that authentic period look once they have the wires crossing all the way from Hollywood Land down BVS. That picture with the wires already makes the ToT look more "old timey" to me. Just like all the old pictures of the LA area with the RCT I've seen and even studied. I think it's a brilliant use of theming that shows dedication to authentic theming and truly taking the guest back to this different place and time while also being used as a nice device, along with smart landscaping, for keeping the guest eyes more grounded in their surroundings.

yea, I think the wires along with the RedCar will actually really 'plus' the TOT area. This type of thing is exactly what was missing from this area when it originally opened. It will now feel more urban. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    In regards to the Pan-Pacific entrance to DCA, I remember Bob Weis saying that as part of BVS, they were trying to recreate iconic Los Angeles landmarks that were no longer there. Hence the red cars, Pan-Pacific entrance, and Carthay. I remember him saying that those 3 were chosen because the styles and ideals they represent help tie all the surrounding styles and architectures used throughout the street.
    Both the Carthay and Pan-Pacific have both been visually quoted by Disney before on the East Coast, which I think speaks more to the iconic nature of the architecture and Disney's connectedness to Los Angeles.

I think the Red Cars are to add street-level motion and are more than iconic but helped to create Los Angeles' layout as a city, helping decide where neighborhoods would be and where people would work.