Page 54 of 668 FirstFirst ... 42944515253545556576479104154554 ... LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    OK. So the turning radius can't be any tighter? But I don't understand the clearance reason. What does it have to clear? Is it that the distance between the trolley and the curb becomes too small and they're concerned about crowding pedestrians?
    When you have a long inflexible rectangle, it can't bend as it goes around turns, so it sticks out on the corners as it goes around a turn. The further the wheels are in from the front/back, the more pronounced the protrusion on the outside of the turn. The further out the wheels are, the further the protrusion on the inside of the turn by the middle of the vehicle.

If they had a decreasing radius circle... you'd risk running over people on the inside of the circle when the train gets closer and closer and there is no where to escape to. Plus, the circle may already be the tightest radius they want to use. So they must turn in/out of the circle as they approach.

Anyway, what amazes me (and I'm sure they thought this all out) that if the center of the fountain/circle was a mere 2-ish feet to the south, it would have lined up properly with the Hollywood track and the jog wouldn't be necessary
    Who knows.. maybe they did it to actually give some more dynamics to the experience.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I wonder if the Carsland tail fins begin with 1957 as a hidden tribute to John Lasseter since it was the year in which he was born.
    I'm just gonna pretend it has something to do with Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time"...
    Last edited by Coastierox; 09-01-2011 at 04:10 AM.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Banned User

I wonder if the Carsland tail fins begin with 1957 as a hidden tribute to John Lasseter since it was the year in which he was born.
    Too bad he couldnt escape his ego and put a '55 tail fin to honor Disneyland. But Thatd be too much to ask from John.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

I'm pretty sure the tail fins are modeled exactly as they are in the film including the years they are modeled after...he was the biggest factor in the creation of that film...

Just gotta put out a huge thank you to TreoFred for the very in depth pictures and coverage of the on going projects. Your contribution is much appreciated.

• Pilot EdForceOne

If you want to know what the tail fin range is based on...

Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo, Texas

Am I evil? yes, I am

• I'm not really here

Why was it necessary for the track to take a little jog to the left in this photo?
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    When you have a long inflexible rectangle, it can't bend as it goes around turns, so it sticks out on the corners as it goes around a turn.
    This. Well explained.

Also, if you pay attention, Screamin' does the same thing. Just before going into turns after a straight section, it will do a very slight job in the opposite direction. Counter-intuitively, it actually smooths the turn sensation out and makes it less of a sudden jerk. But that's not why they did it with the trolley as flynn pointed out.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

The 1957 Cadillac was the first model year with the new, more angular tailfins. Cadillacs between 1948-1956 had a smaller, more rounded or fish-tail sort of look to them. So this selection does capture the rise of this style of tail fin from its introduction in 1957, to its peak in 1959 (pun begrudgingly intended), and reduction in size in 1960.

So, I don't have any information about the hidden tribute theory, but 1957 is when these kind of tail fins first appeared and became more wonderfully big and ornate every year until the end of the 50s. I am really looking forward to Carsland!

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by BuenaVista28 View Post
    Too bad he couldnt escape his ego and put a '55 tail fin to honor Disneyland. But Thatd be too much to ask from John.
    I think you are jumping to conclusions. You don't know the actual reasoning behind why certain tail fins were picked out.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Donald1980 View Post
    I think you are jumping to conclusions. You don't know the actual reasoning behind why certain tail fins were picked out.
    And why would you honor a park within another park? That wouldn't make sense to me.

• Carbon based

When you have a long inflexible rectangle, it can't bend as it goes around turns, so it sticks out on the corners as it goes around a turn. The further the wheels are in from the front/back, the more pronounced the protrusion on the outside of the turn. The further out the wheels are, the further the protrusion on the inside of the turn by the middle of the vehicle.
    I wish I could have explained it this simply
    Thanks Flynnibus

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave
    Anyway, what amazes me (and I'm sure they thought this all out) that if the center of the fountain/circle was a mere 2-ish feet to the south, it would have lined up properly with the Hollywood track and the jog wouldn't be necessary
    Who knows.. maybe they did it to actually give some more dynamics to the experience.
    I was going to write a whole thing about transitional curves, centripetal force and spiral easement and then remembered this was MiceChat and not 'Railway Engineering Quaterly'

---------- Post added 09-01-2011 at 09:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BuenaVista28 View Post
    I'm no Cadillac expert but when researching it, it did show that the fins really started in '48 and there's not a huge difference between a '48 and a '55 to be honest. And as Bon Vivant already mentioned (who seemed to know waaaaay more about Cadillac than me ), the '57 seemed like the "first fully formed fin" (try saying this three times fast !) with very significant differences year over year after that.
    Last edited by TreoFred; 09-01-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland255 View Post
    And why would you honor a park within another park? That wouldn't make sense to me.
    Imagine if he'd named the whole PARK after himself. Or two parks, even! Or based a whole land on the hometown where he grew up. Talk about EGO!

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Lasseterland. Hmmm...

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by TreoFred View Post
    I was going to write a whole thing about transitional curves, centripetal force and spiral easement and then remembered this was MiceChat and not 'Railway Engineering Quaterly'
    anyone who has played with model trains before.. this is all second-hand

Am I evil? yes, I am

• I'm not really here

anyone who has played with model trains before.. this is all second-hand
    Or majored in Physics.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• We set sail for the sky

Quote Originally Posted by Kevbot217 View Post
    Imagine if he'd named the whole PARK after himself. Or two parks, even! Or based a whole land on the hometown where he grew up. Talk about EGO!
    LOL - well said!