Page 582 of 668 FirstFirst ... 82482532557572579580581582583584585592607632 ... LastLast
Results 8,716 to 8,730 of 10011

• Minion

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

Quote Originally Posted by Julieandtheboys View Post
    Did anyone notice one of the last pictures in this has a female CM in the Cars group. She is carrying a gas pump with the hose slung around her ala Brittany Spears and that python (or whatever) at that music awards show some years back.

Or am I reading into that too much?

Disney generally ends it's parades with two pretty girls carrying a rope stretched across the back of the parade to signal that it's OK for people to enter the walkway as long as they stay behind the rope. Since the Pixar Play Parade ends with Mater, the rope is made to look like a gas pump hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    "Pissed" doesn't begin to describe it. Positive or negative, it doesn't matter what the employees are talking about -- Disney HR and Legal are notorious for calling on the carpet anyone they can ID who posts on social media about their work. Like many companies that invest heavily in controlling the public image of their product, Disney is obsessive about controlling the information the public reads, and where and when they read it.

A huge marketing campaign such as the one for the DCA relaunch is like a very expensive movie that plays out in a specific time sequence. Whether it turns out to be awesome or sucks, a lot of people have busted their butts to make it happen, and they do not want comments, impressions or details about the product discussed in public by employees in a time frame and venue that is "off script."

Disney employees who post on social media -- especially high profile Disney fan sites like this one, and especially about a project like Carsland in which the company has invested heavily in a marketing campaign -- need to be careful not to include in their posts bits of seemingly innocent information about their jobs or personal lives, which over time could be used to identify them. Ditto when friends and relatives of Disney employees post about what they've heard.
    And probably just like those movie previews where you have to answer a ton of questions about the movie and what you liked or don't like. They want to know if there is something that works or doesn't work and then fix it before it's released to the general public. They want to control the outcome of their massive investment as much as they can.

I don't blame them one bit. As we've seen on this website, they can lose control in a hurry like the Lugi's Flying Tire ride rep is spreading fast. Sometimes they can tweak and improve quickly. Other times it may take more time and investment.

Disney can also be their own worst enemy by feeding these frenzied fans with preview models, concept art and virtual reality ride throughs.

• ThinkingOfMermaidLagoons

Ha! Well thanks for clearing that up! Just looked funny in that individual picture, but I understand the context now. Thanks!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Logic Machine View Post
    ^Agreed. The problem is that the general public can be very impressionable. So even if most people are posting great reviews, it's the one or two bad ones that will actually affect what expectations people enter the new land with. Sort of like Ariel's ice cream hair and the CGI animations on the ride. Seeing those beforehand and hearing the negativity towards them really affected the way I rode the ride the first time, no matter how positive the rest of the talk about the ride was.
    Yep, but it's not just negative employee comments that concern companies like Disney. Employees' rave reviews can overhype a product, resulting in the public reacting to the product more negatively than they would have otherwise. It's particularly a risk for Disney, whose marketing campaigns tend to overhype the product anyway. Add to that the cumulative hype from employees on social media, and the end result can be a setup for a public letdown -- or worse, backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    And probably just like those movie previews where you have to answer a ton of questions about the movie and what you liked or don't like. They want to know if there is something that works or doesn't work and then fix it before it's released to the general public. They want to control the outcome of their massive investment as much as they can.

I don't blame them one bit. As we've seen on this website, they can lose control in a hurry like the Lugi's Flying Tire ride rep is spreading fast. Sometimes they can tweak and improve quickly. Other times it may take more time and investment.

Disney can also be their own worst enemy by feeding these frenzied fans with preview models, concept art and virtual reality ride throughs.
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Yep, but it's not just negative employee comments that concern companies like Disney. Employees' rave reviews can overhype a product, resulting in the public reacting to the product more negatively than they would have otherwise. It's particularly a risk for Disney, whose marketing campaigns tend to overhype the product anyway. Add to that the cumulative hype from employees on social media, and the end result can be a setup for a public letdown -- or worse, backlash.

Bingo.
    You guys hit it right on. Disney has every right to protect what is theirs. The Cast Members sign a clause I'm sure with what they are shown or told.

As you mentioned about what Disney Puts out there...it definitely is scrutinized like CRAZY. People are so quick to jump to any conclusion...even if wrong, it will spread like wildfire and be taken as literal.

---------- Post added 06-01-2012 at 11:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Logic Machine View Post
    ^Agreed. The problem is that the general public can be very impressionable. So even if most people are posting great reviews, it's the one or two bad ones that will actually affect what expectations people enter the new land with. Sort of like Ariel's ice cream hair and the CGI animations on the ride. Seeing those beforehand and hearing the negativity towards them really affected the way I rode the ride the first time, no matter how positive the rest of the talk about the ride was.
    I think I'm the only one who didn't mind the ice-cream hair. It actually was a part from the movie.

• Disney Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DLR159 View Post
    DAPS has some great pictures of the parade taken today. Pixar Play Parade Returns to Disney California Adventure with Soft Opening
    Here is a video from Mr DAPS:

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
    -Aristotle

Next Trip in 2012 to see the final product

• Dream in wonderful color!

Quote Originally Posted by kibia16 View Post
    Here is a video from Mr DAPS:

I'm happy it's back, it looks great!

I was worried about the design of the floats and how they were going to change them to fit under the trolley wires. It looks like the changes were minimal and everything is still there (like the swinging bugs and toy story acrobats for example). Ratatouille is missing of course but we already knew they were going to remove that float.

I wonder if Jack Jack's fire was malfunctioning for this performance or if it was removed altogether?
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• Fireworks Finatic!

Pixar Play Parade looks good, but a shame they did not use all this down time to create a brand new float to replace Ratatouille.. Wall-E could have been a very cool float! Or too hard to play in space??

• Mickey is not my Brother

They should add a Brave unit to promote the new movie, or WALL-E, or Up.

• Future Imagineer

Got a video for those who haven't been in the new Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=1QU9AEW_WV0

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    Got a video for those who haven't been in the new Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=1QU9AEW_WV0
    It looks good, I can't wait to try it out.

But ok, the earthquake in the mural?! Really?!

As a native of the bay area who lived through the '89 earthquake, that isn't as cute as they think think it is.

They never had all those tables when it was the Tortilla Factory, did they? I think that adds a lot of energy to this area. Every time I walked through here, it seemed like a ghost town; now it has life.

• Sock Puppet

I just can't beleive that we have just under two weeks, thirteen days from today, until the relaunch of Disney California Adventure Park. It is kind of bittersweet to think that the baby that we watched grow, and progress all these years into the beauty it is becoming today will soon be done. I am excited to see what Disney has is store for us in both Cars Land and Buena Vista Street. I truly am going to miss tracking this project like I have all these years.

• Pilot EdForceOne

To circle back to an earlier discussion... about neon

The point about Disney using 'fake' neon or real neon was brought up and lots of people dismissed the significance of this.

Well for those who don't follow activities in FL.. the Cars themed section of the new Art of Animation resort has a very detailed area between the buildings that uses many of the same elements we see in Carsland.

An earlier view of the area can be seen in this video..

Now, we have video of the area lit up at night... note the cozy cone sign in the video

Looks decent.. but a bit off putting after seeing the Carsland version right? Well that's right, because the sign in the AoA courtyard isn't real neon like the one in Carsland is. Look at the sign in the day video.. it has no dimension to it's surface.. which you can also see as the sign rotates in the lit version at night. This is light channel or EL lit - not exposed neon tubes.

Compare them in stills...

to

Now the exposure is different in those photos.. but even still.. you can see the vast differences in the sign in terms of it's glow, warmth, and even color.

That is why that attention to detail is so important.. and why true Neon is so important.

Thx to insidethemagic for the videos...
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Krillinish View Post
    CMs are instructed multiple times before and after riding not to discuss any details on social media. It's not worth the risk.
    Exactly. Friend had lunch at Flo's and were told no pictures, video, keep quiet about it or risk firing. All I got is amazing and my daughters will love it out of them.