• Lowering Expectations

Smile My time at the Cast Member Party

I had the great pleasure of attending the cast member-only "Family Holiday Party" at Disneyland on Monday night. One of my best friend's parents work on Main Street- his dad drives the fire engine, and his mom works in the Emporium. So he invited me to come that night to the park!

The park closed to guests at 6 pm. and re-opened for the event at 7 and lasted until 1 am. The esplanade was quite crowded but things went smoothly and we got inside the park with relative ease. We had toys to donate to the Toys for Tots, and they gave us a commemorative pin! Once inside the park, there were several cast members handing out candy canes. Main Street was alive with more modern-day Christmas music playing- quite a noticable change over the more traditional area music that normally plays, but I appreciated it in this context- and the parade lights were flashing instead of their typical steady-burn. Our group got a complimentary photo with Belle near Carnation Plaza, then we filled out a postcard and signed giant chess pieces that will be sent to those active in the military and the navy over the holidays. We were starved by this point, so we bought chicken at the Plaza Inn- for cast members, prices were 35% off!

After that, we lined up along the street for the Christmas Fantasy Parade. I guess the only downside to the party was, this was the main entertainment- no fireworks, no Fantasmic. Oh well. Anyway, what happened next more than made up for that. While we were waiting for the parade to begin, this guy in a black jacket with an American flag on the sleeve and a baseball cap was walking down the street, and I recognized him- It was Matt Ouimet! I only knew who he was because I've seen pictures of him- he could easily have been mistakened for a guest in the crowd. I leaned forward to see his nametag- yup, there it was!- and he caught my eye and came up to me and asked if I was having a good time. I said yes, thank you very much, and then he said he liked my hat- I was wearing my santa hat- and I thanked him again.

Space Mountain had the longest line of all of course- and though it broke down briefly and the lights came on in the loading station, the problem was taken care of quickly. The rest of the park was sparsely populated though most of the attractions were open!

Overall, a great night. I just wished it could have lasted longer!

• Senior Minion

Re: My time at the Cast Member Party

Glad you had a great time with the CM's What anice thing to be able to participate in. Cool to see Matt interacting with his crew. What a great guy!
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

lastnight I saw Amanda B she has been on a few shows.

• Banned User

I know some VMK staff were also there... glad you had a great time...

I wish when i get a job... they have great parties like this...

• Rock Star Minion

I missed CM Matt, and I would have cornered him on that rumor. That would have been I getting dragged away by Security.

I had a great time, too. Too long of a line for the Ribs (and shame on whoever put that mistake on the flyer noting that ribs would be available at Rancho). We ended up with burgers from Tomorrowland. Then waited over 40 minutes for Space (needed it to digest anyway). Missed the parade (no kids with us). Did Matterhorn and BTMRR in the dark (all the coaster-type rides seemed a lot faster than I remember, especially Space). Long lines late in the Emporium. Took us only an hour to get home to The VC after leaving the garage.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Was anyone in line for Space Mountain at 12:15? What a nice suprise.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by rawrr
    Was anyone in line for Space Mountain at 12:15? What a nice suprise.
    Second time I've read this. Could you please elaborate on what we folk who had to work the next day (and drive an hour home) missed?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Since no one else is elaborating, I guess I can. There was a brief problem and the lights came on. But the fun thing was...they LEFT THEM ON. Oh it was glorious. Station, lifts, everything had lights on. Even the reentry tunnel. :-)

• Lowering Expectations

LOL I wish that had happened to me! We had to leave before midnight...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by some_imagination
    Since no one else is elaborating, I guess I can. There was a brief problem and the lights came on. But the fun thing was...they LEFT THEM ON. Oh it was glorious. Station, lifts, everything had lights on. Even the reentry tunnel. :-)
    Meh, did that a few years ago at the Cast Member party.

What was pretty cool (don't know if it was always there) was we got to see the "less-abled" track-switching. My only concern was that I didn't see a reason for an empty car to be wasted when switching the "less-abled" riders' car onto the track. It could easily have been a full one. Possible reasons:
    1. Maybe it's dangerous to have someone in a car while it's being switched (then why are the less-abled allowed to do it?).
    2. Timing issue. It's easier to let an empty car ride around, so that it can be used for the next less-abled group instead of waiting for it to be unloaded. I.e., when it comes in to unload, the loading gates open and someone is bound to jump in to the car that is expected to be empty for the less-abled.

Quote Originally Posted by some_imagination
    There was no problem. It's a Disney Holiday party tradition.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

I was there with my wonderful wife Tuesday night. It was nice. Cold, but nice. Got some nice pix of the parade and of the decorations.

I will post some pix either tonight or tomorrow, and will try to get a good pic of the pin we got for donating a toy. It's a nice pin.

We had our picture taken with Minnie.
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• Banned User

pictures yeah!!! I am looking forward to seeing them!!!

• CM for 4 years!

I went both nights. Once with a friend, and once with coworkers.

SOOO much fun, PLUS churros were only $2!!
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Long Distance Imagineer

I went with my friend on Tuesday night, missed the parade, but sure enjoyed the show outside IASW. I rode the BTMRR for the first time ever, what FUN! Also got to see the new SM, but we were there before they turned the lights on. Oh well. We shopped 'till we dropped and closed the night with our traditional train ride around the Park as it was closing.