Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

• Carbon based

Re: New Fantasy Faire Experience coming to Disneyland!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    What about us adults too?
    I'll always be a kid
    And adults are just big kids, the only that changes is the price of toys

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Merlin would be awesome to see out again, and the Evil Queen from Snow White could work here too, as she is currently a face character. Remember...when the very princess-heavy FL expansion was announced for Florida, they ended up changing a lot and announcing the Mine Coaster, less meet and greets too. This is very early days yet...the announcement is less than a day old. This is a much smaller patch of land of course than in the MK, but if the large perception is, not more princesses....it could well expand it's scope a bit in terms of inclusions.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

I agree. They haven't even announced dates yet.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Carbon based

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    If they would place a nicely themed little meet and greet area, about the size of what is by Snow White's fountain area on the east side of the castle, that would be ok, BUT they are wanting to push it WAY beyond that. From the Disney Blog, just look at the crappy makeover planned for the dance area:

That picture is being used a lot but there are two more on the Disney Park blog which seem widely different, including this one:

Now, to me, the stage that is on the top picture would be the one on the bottom picture on the left. As you can see, wildly different so I'm not sure those design are even remotely close to be ready. I think the colors on the top one are super flashy where as the bottom one is much more subdued already...

Now on this one, even the back is not fixed as it looks the same angle there but very different back:

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by TreoFred View Post
    I'll always be a kid
    And adults are just big kids, the only that changes is the price of toys
    Excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by TreoFred View Post
    That picture is being used a lot but there are two more on the Disney Park blog which seem widely different, including this one:

Now, to me, the stage that is on the top picture would be the one on the bottom picture on the left. As you can see, wildly different so I'm not sure those design are even remotely close to be ready. I think the colors on the top one are super flashy where as the bottom one is much more subdued already...
    I would tend to agree. If the DCA project is any indication, the art that is released has all been earlier concept art and fairly different from finished products. There is indeed quite a difference in tone and color palette even between the three pieces of art.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

they need to keep the current look and just change the day show.
    Now we will see what they do with the Fantasyland Theater. Frontrunners seem to be a mini version of what WDW is getting.
    Aka as Beauty taking over Snow WhIte and Dwarfs coaster going to the theater or Beauty goIng to theater.

www.mouseexpedtion.net
    Your Ultimate Tour Guide to the Disneyland Resort

• Future Cast Member

I'd really like to see a model of this and see how the layout and transitions will be set up. The concept art is hard to tell from what we're given, and the description of a village square and theater is equally minimal. They need a bigger piece of concept art or more concept art that shows a lot more of the whole area, or a model, to communicate exactly what they're trying to create.

What a wonderful idea! The space is huge, and now completely wasted. They need more attractions, not less, and the current space is completely empty during the busiest times of the day. It provides no real draw in selling tickets, doesn't push merchandise, and doesn't help absorb the crowds.

I also welcome an expansion of fantasyland themeing to that area. As it is "across the moat," and to the side of the castle, I think it will work very well as an extension of fantasyland. Main Street clearly stops at the entrance to the circle, and it will be no larger a "distraction" when viewed from the circle than the frontierland fort or orbiter. The only better use I could image for that space would be for a new, latest technology, E ticket Fantasyland ride.

I also believe that going forward over the next decades, DL needs to continue to find new ways to expand their attractions in a limited size park. I think this is especially true in regards to the opening of the anticipated "third gate". I think that reinforcing the Fantasyland theme, which is the strongest and most identifiably "Disney," in the original park, will be beneficial in the long run. I see it as a kind of "Magic Kingdomizing" of the original park, which is not a bad thing at all.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Now that I think of it, they could pull it off. I just don't want to see a midevil square from Main Street, but if they can just get rid of that walkway, find some way to route it through Fantasyland and use trees or a castle wall to hide the "Fantasy theme" I will be okay with it.
    As has been said plenty of times, there is already a path from the castle courtyard to this area, similar to the path on the opposite side from the courtyard to Snow White's grotto. Trust me, I'm looking at my 1995 map right now and can see it plain as day
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
    Shame on you, for both your personal attack and your attempt to take things beyond logical extremes to make a point. You just reinforce the opposing argument, really, by making such a comparison.

Although I would argue that the astro-orbitor pushed right to the entrance of Tomorrowland is intrusive; but only slightly more so than the Peoplemover cars driving by.
    First off, it wasn't a personal attack, but since you seem to think so, I'll just say that one good turn deserves another and leave it at that. As to the argument itself, I wasn't pushing things beyond logical extremes, but rather just pointing out what a slippery slope you were proposing by basically stating that anything can fit in the hub. I also agree that Astros Orbitor does not belong out there, but just because something is already there that does not belong is not justification to add anything new to also shatter the theme. As to Peoplemover cars going by, that hasn't happened since the late 90's, but when they were there it marked the end of Main Street and the beginning of Tomorrowland. You can liken this to walking under the castle arch into Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    That photo makes it abundantly clear, to me, what so many people been saying...the area is sort of walled in by trees, near the castle, connected to it easily, and not easily visible straight into it even from Partners unless trying to, let alone Main Street. There will almost be certainly some sort of gate or archway, appropriate to facing outwards just like Snow White's grotto, and maybe even 'castle walls' that connect to the castle on that side.

It will be fine.
    It may be fine to you now, but wait until they have to rip out those trees that you think are hiding things so well to make room to build this new monstrosity. The next time you are sitting by the statue in the hub, think just how nice it looks to have buildings from middle earth standing where a nice Main Street structure used to be.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    It may be fine to you now, but wait until they have to rip out those trees that you think are hiding things so well to make room to build this new monstrosity. The next time you are sitting by the statue in the hub, think just how nice it looks to have buildings from middle earth standing where a nice Main Street structure used to be.
    Is this really accurate? When you're sitting in the hub right now, you see the Frontierland entrance and wall between Main Street and the stage. Once this is done, you'll simply see an extension of fantasyland from the castle to the Frontier fort's wall. I don't see how medieval fantasy buildings could look out of place next to the castle.
    Last edited by greenalfonzo; 08-20-2011 at 02:34 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Merely to say...not one person here knows how they will actually build it, how it will be integrated or items moved around. It will be no less or more visible, regardless, from the Hub or Main Street than the Frontierland fort entrance, tiki masks outside Adventureland, or the Matterhorn. Three pieces of art and zero vertical construction so far, let alone any indicator of how it will be built in real space, is not enough by far to my mind to dub something a 'monstrosity' in terms of final realization. That is stretching things quite a bit based on any current information. And I don't quite understand how a village...often outside the castle walls...somehow means it is 'Middle Earth'. Ever seen Disney's Robin Hood, or Tangled?

I for one fail to see the preemptive dislike of something because it is new only. The band performance area features will be retained and new themed structures added, far far away from Main Street itself. If you were to say, I dislike it because it will mainly sell Princess Merchandise a lot, or be only a meet and greet...I could concede those. I truly fail to understand the venom at building something tied to Fantasyland, that will most certainly be tied into what is there now via barriers or walls of some sort, that is right next to where Fantasyland is. And that may well be a 'agree to disagree' thing between folks.

Just count me out of hyperbole at things being terrible or poorly themed based on very limited information or three drawings.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Carbon based

In the spirit of wasting more time (both mine and the one of people in this thread) and because we only have some bits of concept art and no model, nothing to work with, I've tried to fit it in pictures. Yes, I changed my mind (it's a free country and I'm almost a citizen of it ) and I now think that all THREE pieces of concept art can actually work together to show different angles of the same thing. Here's how I see it (you can still find all the original concept art on the Disney blog and above in this thread so I won't repost those, just my distorted maps.). The first piece I think is a view from somebody with the hub behind them, PP on the left, looking somewhat towards Frontierland and BTTMR. Kinda like that:

My rationale: you can kind of see the side of the enclosed/new version of the PP on the left. You would get two main paths (one in between the PP leading towards the Rancho del Zocalo Mexican restaurant through the enclosed tunnel, the other leading toward the castle on the right.) Also, this concept picture does show some rampart. Extending them from where they currently end to continue along the big backstage building, etc would provide a more imposing castle. At the same time, you're far enough from the hub that you're not visually poluting it too much (one thing that amazes me is that people don't realize there are already side entrance to the castle which is a testament of how well they blend, although the rampart continue quite a bit towards the PPG already today.). Also, this has taller buildings compared to the other concept art, indicating less sight lines issue (and de-facto, the way I see them, there's none in that direction as they would in fact be hiding the mountains from BTMRR )

The second piece of concept art is obviously a view of the stage. So, unless they completely move it, this would be something like that:

My rationale: well, uh, it's the stage and, uh... ok, that's all I got.

So, moving on to exhibit 3, we have the town square with a much smaller and open building. I think this one is more towards the hub as in this composite:

My rationale: The building is concave towards the plaza vs convex for the first piece of art. It also looks shorter (an indication of different sight lines possibly?) and you can see trees behind it proving they are smaller. In fact, you can see a big somewhat roundish tree which does fit well with what you can find in that specific area today!. Also, no more rampart which places this outside the castle wall (and as mycroft mentioned and I wholeheartedly agree, there are MANY medieval city where more of the city is OUTSIDE the castle wall!). The building (apparently, a small cottage where one could find Root Beer? ) is more nondescript, which would clash a lot less if partially seen from the other side and the hub (look at the brick chimneys, the half-timbered farm house style, etc.). Both this one and the first concept art do show the central monument so they're both around the same plaza.

In the end, as seen from above and with some major distortion, this where I see an overall implementation of all those pictures:

BTW, the marking of 'Main Street' on the hub is not mine, it's just Google Maps trying to keep the controversy alive

And this is just my view and my opinion of what we're looking (and it's bound to change without any prior notice )

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    Isn't Snow Whites Grotto directly opposite this area?
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    2nd) Do people find Snow White's Grotto blasphemous? It's a Princess, Fantasyland, beyond the castle, intruding into the Main Street/Hub area. Is that breaking theme somehow?
    the grotto is a garden which fits into the landscape of the castle and hub greenry.. it's far more a garden then it is something 'fantasyland'

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    A lot of people are saying "In front of the castle" Since when did to the left and in a corner become the front of the castle.. Jeeze...
    Because they are talking about in front of the castle vs behind the castle. The jist is about what is behind the 'gateway' of the castle vs outside of it in the hub area.

Quote Originally Posted by BuenaVista28 View Post
    Yes Disneyland is low on space but why didnt they use the fantasyland theater area for this new meet n greet? It just seems like a poor decision to cut away a piece of main st for princess crap
    Because this area is trapped in and can't hide something radically different... where the theatre is huge and could easily be used for something way more radical (like a FT expansion) or simply to put entertainment back at the stage. This location is far more limited in it's potential.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    As has been said plenty of times, there is already a path from the castle courtyard to this area, similar to the path on the opposite side from the courtyard to Snow White's grotto. Trust me, I'm looking at my 1995 map right now and can see it plain as day
    gee... thanks
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast