Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15222324252627 LastLast

• Minion

Re: New Fantasy Faire Experience coming to Disneyland!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post

---------- Post added 08-22-2011 at 03:53 PM ----------

and a little birdie on twitter is saying the maypole for the expansion is formally known as Gaston's Maypole

GASTON'S....maypole. Please tell me that's a joke.

And these pictures prove that no one ever goes over here during peak hours:
    ONE picture proves that no one EVER goes over here??? And given the shadows the sun is putting off of the structures, I'd guess this is around noon - 1pm time. Hardly the peak hours of any day at Disneyland.
    So long as they "hide" the PFF from the Hub/Plaza - I'm OK w/ it........
    That actually brings up a good point. I've heard many people say this. How many of you would like PFF to be hidden behind bushes/trees/etc. And if so, why?
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Gooseberries and Apples

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I agree fully. I would love to see the male characters from these films out and about. They never are. Would be cool to see the couples together. I was just making the point that male characters are not necessary to interest the boys. Though some will be drawn to Gaston, or Beast over Belle, others will be drawn to Belle over the male characters. But that applies to both genders.
    Oh no, I fully understand. I didn't want it to seem on my part that the Disney Guys are needed for the boy/male contingent.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post

Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967
    Pretty much the same happened with Tahitian Terrace to Children's story telling with Jasmine and Aladdin. Once ... there was a restaurant with a full luau show .. that entertained men, women, girls, boys. Young, and Old alike. Then the facility catered primarily to children.

The Taitian Terrace didn't close because they wahted to replace it with a kid-specific show. It closed because it was no longer popular. Aladdin's Oasis was also quite popualr when it first opened, but it lost popularity over time as well. These things happen. Offerings and audiences evolve. There's no exact science to it.
    Okay .. first of all ... my train-of-thought ... as I seem to have lost you ... was my post was in response to what was in Aladdin Oasis the last time it was open. Not what it became right after Tahitian Terrace.

Second .... With all due respect ... I don't know where on Earth you are getting your info - "it was no longer popular" ... Perhaps you weren't there in it's last few years .. but I was. And there was always plenty of people in line to get into the restaurant .. and see the show. If you walked by .. and saw nobody waiting outside .... chances were it was closed. As it was one of Disneyland's more 'seasonal' offerings in the warmer months .. holidays .. and weekends. And if you were walking by .. and you definitely heard activity inside .. perhaps they had JUST let in new people in for the next show. Not everyone .. but a lot tended to leave right after the show. Therefore ..... giving the bus boys enough time to clear the tables ..and open up ... those waiting in line .. just outside.

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Aladdin's Oasis was also quite popualr when it first opened, but it lost popularity over time as well. These things happen. Offerings and audiences evolve. There's no exact science to it.
    Now .. a little history on Aladdin's Oasis:

At the time ..... the In Thing ... was the Dinner Theater format. Disney thought there was such a demand for it ... That the pricing for Tahitian Terrace was too cheap. So .. for those who remember .... while Disneyland cost $28.50 in 1993 (When Aladdin's Oasis opened) ... There was one fixed price for the entire thing - $24.50 for adults. And $19.50 for children. You can see a full article on it when it was new - Here: ATTRACTION REVIEW : Rolling Out the Magic Carpet : The New Aladdin's Oasis Restaurant in Disneyland Is a Marketing Mimic of the Movie - Los Angeles Times

Imagine today .. with Disneyland at $80 ... and a dinner theater show that was $70 within the park. You just got through dumping a good amount at the gate .. Now you got to pay for nearly the same price for a dinner theater show, and a meal. You can see why it went belly-up just a measly 2 years later. Compared to Tahitian Terrace with it's reasonable pricing from 1962 .. all the way up to when it closed ... nearly 3 full decades later.

If you read the Yesterland.com article Aladdin’s Oasis Dinner Show at Yesterland ... it says .. just 2 years after .. the show was discontinued ... then one year later .. 1996 ... the restaurant seized operation.

Gee .. doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why!

The simple word is Greed.

And because of it .... we lost a great tahitian themed restaurant.

And we are still waiting for Disney to make up for their mistake!

EDIT .. and that was just the simplified revue of what was going on in the early 90s.
    Lets also take into account .. how Disney was changing their "accounting" practices. All those entertainers working under various unions. Disney management of the early 90s apparently thought they were making too much money ... and out went a few regular shows in Disneyland. And in came NEW SHOWS .. under a new set of "terms". Gee ... in the words of The Church Lady ... HOW CONVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENIENT!

And Disney STILL attempts ridiculously greedy pricing with new places .. like when they reopened the barbecue place behind Big Thunder .... Remember those crazy prices??

Oh .... if Disney think they can get away with it ..... they'll gouge the customer .. and then put a happy smile behind it .. and give some sort of spin ... to make us think they are so poor!
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 08-22-2011 at 04:08 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    ONE picture proves that no one EVER goes over here??? And given the shadows the sun is putting off of the structures, I'd guess this is around noon - 1pm time. Hardly the peak hours of any day at Disneyland.
    That actually brings up a good point. I've heard many people say this. How many of you would like PFF to be hidden behind bushes/trees/etc. And if so, why?
    I'm 99% sure that the trees on the hub side will stay and still bloc out the little village. And I spent a lot of time in the general area during my last trip and besides the occasional CM, I didn't see anyone going through that area (and I'm talking a couple hours so that I could see the various shows that the band does in front of the castle)

---------- Post added 08-22-2011 at 05:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Okay .. first of all ... my train-of-thought ... as I seem to have lost you ... was my post was in response to what was in Aladdin Oasis the last time it was open. Not what it became right after Tahitian Terrace.

Second .... With all due respect ... I don't know where on Earth you are getting your info - "it was no longer popular" ... Perhaps you weren't there in it's last few years .. but I was. And there was always plenty of people in line to get into the restaurant .. and see the show. If you walked by .. and saw nobody waiting outside .... chances were it was closed. As it was one of Disneyland's more 'seasonal' offerings in the warmer months .. holidays .. and weekends. And if you were walking by .. and you definitely heard activity inside .. perhaps they had JUST let in new people in for the next show. Not everyone .. but a lot tended to leave right after the show. Therefore ..... giving the bus boys enough time to clear the tables ..and open up ... those waiting in line .. just outside.

Now .. a little history on Aladdin's Oasis:

At the time ..... the In Thing ... was the Dinner Theater format. Disney thought there was such a demand for it ... That the pricing for Tahitian Terrace was too cheap. So .. for those who remember .... while Disneyland cost $28.50 in 1993 (When Aladdin's Oasis opened) ... There was one fixed price for the entire thing - $24.50 for adults. And $19.50 for children. You can see a full article on it when it was new - Here: ATTRACTION REVIEW : Rolling Out the Magic Carpet : The New Aladdin's Oasis Restaurant in Disneyland Is a Marketing Mimic of the Movie - Los Angeles Times

Imagine today .. with Disneyland at $80 ... and a dinner theater show that was $70 within the park. You just got through dumping a good amount at the gate .. Now you got to pay for nearly the same price for a dinner theater show, and a meal. You can see why it went belly-up just a measly 2 years later. Compared to Tahitian Terrace with it's reasonable pricing from 1962 .. all the way up to when it closed ... nearly 3 full decades later.

If you read the Yesterland.com article Aladdin’s Oasis Dinner Show at Yesterland ... it says .. just 2 years after .. the show was discontinued ... then one year later .. 1996 ... the restaurant seized operation.

Gee .. doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why!

The simple word is Greed.

And because of it .... we lost a great tahitian themed restaurant.

And we are still waiting for Disney to make up for their mistake!
    I thought they did with the new restaurant and tiki bar at the hotel
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Disney is home

I'm 99% sure that the trees on the hub side will stay and still bloc out the little village. And I spent a lot of time in the general area during my last trip and besides the occasional CM, I didn't see anyone going through that area (and I'm talking a couple hours so that I could see the various shows that the band does in front of the castle)
    The only time this area seems to busy is when the princesses are around this area for meet and greets.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Donald1980 View Post
    The only time this area seems to busy is when the princesses are around this area for meet and greets.
    them or the Fairy god Mother, or Mary Poppins & Bert. but yeah people only go over there if there is a meet and greet, otherwise it is pretty deserted
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Quote Originally Posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
    Look at Google Earth or Bing Maps....... there's plenty of room in the Plaza Gardens area to build the village, theme it to FL and yet still have it screened off from the Hub/Plaza.....

Maybe a re-themed bridge set at a different angle than the present bridge and a few more trees (maybe even a berm) would help shield the new PFF from Main St./Plaza/Hub......

I think it can be done without ruining the theme, executed well, it would be hardly noticeable - it doesn't need a sign like Adventureland or Frontierland, or a Castle for an entrance, just a bridge, over a stream, leading into "the woods", finally reaching the "village"...... Plaza Gardens is actually a pretty good-sized chunk of land, in the middle of the park, that has been underutilized for years......

So long as they "hide" the PFF from the Hub/Plaza - I'm OK w/ it........
    Hey, that's a great idea! While they're at it, I hope they do the same thing to screen off and "hide" that big castle from the hub as well!

As a regular swing dancer at Disneyland and an overall Disney geek I feel I should bring my opinion to the table. As a Disney fan, I am very excited for change coming to the park, I love the new drawings and can't wait to see what the whole area will look like in person. Is this the right place to put this specific area of the park? In my opinion, no. Fantasyland belongs in Fantasyland, NOT Main Street. This area would be much better off in the motor boat cruise area. As a swing dancer, I'm glad to have the dancing stay, yet I would much rather be in a place that I feel like I belong. The swing music is going to feel VERY out of place in a Fantasy Fair area, and just very awkward. I would feel much more comfortable being in a place like Buena Vista Street, the area would fit, the music and style would not clash, and it would be an overall improvement. I don't care whether or not they tear down Carnation Plaza Gardens, I respect the history, but I am also excited for new things to be coming to my favorite place. Disneyland WILL never be completed, I already know that and cannot wait for change. Just don't put me in a Medieval Times fair and call it the 20's... Also, to end the whole debate on whether or not CPG is part of Main Street or not, YES it IS part of Main Street. If it wasn't why would they play Main Street Music?

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by gamer_christopher View Post
    Also, to end the whole debate on whether or not CPG is part of Main Street or not, YES it IS part of Main Street. If it wasn't why would they play Main Street Music?
    Currently it is part of Main Street, but my question to you is, does Disney have the right to move/expand the boundaries of a land?

I have a lot of memories of Plaza Gardens in the 90's but I said my good byes to that are when they changed it and removed the food service there. Back then, you would have swing dancing every night during the Summer.

• Minion

Currently it is part of Main Street, but my question to you is, does Disney have the right to move/expand the boundaries of a land?
    I say yes because A) it is their park and B) the maps they hand you at the gate have this area marked as Fantasyland anyway
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

To an extent, yes. I personally don't like that you can see fairies and, coming soon, princesses in front of the castle but I deal with it. Fantasyland should not extend past the hub, I believe that CPG is the furthest that you can push FL without causing an uproar that they are turning main street into Fantasy Street.

• I'm not really here

To an extent, yes. I personally don't like that you can see fairies and, coming soon, princesses in front of the castle but I deal with it. Fantasyland should not extend past the hub, I believe that CPG is the furthest that you can push FL without causing an uproar that they are turning main street into Fantasy Street.
    I don't think they would want to push FL any further. This is as far as they can argue it can go as that are is connecting to the castle via pathways and share river with the moat. I'm pretty sure they realize that.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Disney is home

When you say extend pass the HUB, where exactly is that? I agree with the Pixies but this new PFF is closer to the castle and is/could be (haven't seen the final product yet) tucked close to the Castle.

There are already Princesses around the castle. They have been there for over a year now and were found there on a regular basis before the original PFF took over the Fantasyland Theatre.

• Artistic integrity

I thought they did with the new restaurant and tiki bar at the hotel
    And what about a certain facility in Adventureland .. that remains shuttered?