Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

• Olé! Olé! It's Showtime!

Re: New Fantasy Faire Experience coming to Disneyland!

I'm not really happy about this change, mostly because I remember watching the performances from Plaza Gardens on Sunday nights, and still love that nostalgia when I visit and watch the swing dancers.

Now, about this assertion by so many people that the Plaza/hub is in Main Street: it clearly is not, and never, ever has been.
    The point of the hub has always been that this is where all the themed lands come together. Walt Disney hit us over the head with this point over and over. When you stand in the central plaza you can clearly see all the different themes at once. It's the preview for all the experiences you can choose.

This is why I'm getting so tired of reading complaints about Jolly Holiday Bakery, which is on the plaza, not Main Street. Everything is appropriate on the plaza, that's the point. I don't think that a fantasyland themed area at Plaza Gardens would look out of place. In fact, even the tomorrowland entrance is appropriate - it's just that it is ugly. :/

I don't think there are any violations of theme happening here at all; my only qualm is the loss of an iconic landmark (for me, at least) to more princess mediocrity and prepackaged fantasy for girls. I wish they still had the kind of Disneyland that encouraged imagination and creativity rather than complete packages of prewritten scripts for kids.

MiceChat from Main Street.
    MiceChat goes mobile with the new Mouseaddict app for iPhone and iPad! Keep up to date with the latest blogs and columns, check your private messages, chat live with MiceChatters inside and outside of the parks, plan your next move with Addictometer wait times and crowd level mapping, see showtimes and set reminders for dining, shows and FastPass, and find anything in the resort — from attractions to sidewalk carts.

Learn more and download free at mouseaddict.com.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    While, generally, I am opposed to areas devoted entirely to boys or girls, I think this one look pretty good. Plus, its small and fairly secluded, and I think this one looks really nice. And now the land currently taken up by the larger Fantasy Faire can be used for other things.
    I concur. While I'm somewhat attached to the area for nostalgic reasons, the fact is this is an incredibly underutilized area, and I'm glad that it's being put to what appears to be effective use. This is going to tick off people who are stuck in the past, but the fact is, guests aren't using this area. So I'm glad to see it being turned into an area that guests can use.

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    I concur. While I'm somewhat attached to the area for nostalgic reasons, the fact is this is an incredibly underutilized area, and I'm glad that it's being put to what appears to be effective use. This is going to tick off people who are stuck in the past, but the fact is, guests aren't using this area. So I'm glad to see it being turned into an area that guests can use.
    I agree and I'm on the same page with you on the nostalgic feeling. When I had an AP in the early 1990's this was the place to go. My grandparents would dance there almost every night. This was a great place to be, because the people that would be regulars had so much history with the park. Back then they had better bands and music. Also, during the Summer this was an every night event and during the off-season it was Saturdays and Sundays (Fridays weren't considered part of the weekend at the time).

The sadness some are feeling right now about the idea of this place being changed, I felt a while back when they expanded the Casa de Mexicana restaurant and changed it to Rancho Del Zocalo. When they did that, they changed the Plaza Gardens. I loved getting french fries and shakes at the quick service restaurant they used to have there. When they changed this area, this is when I felt like this are was lost. If Plaza Gardens was still this way, then I might be more on the side of not changing it.

I am excited for this change, because this area needs life during the day time. I am also excited because it looks like Disney is going to go all out for this and not make it like the current Princess Fantasy Faire where they just added a few props and decorations here and there.

• Banned User

*Yawn* When is Stark Expo being announced? If this is the big announcement for DL that we've been waiting for, then that's pretty disappointing.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

OMG. This is horrible! That is one of my favorite areas of the park! If they get rid of the stage it will be even worse than what they are doing to the area! Does anyone have any idea who performed on that stage? Tearing that stage down is like tearing down Carnegie Hall! This is a travesty. And I am starting to not like the direction Disney is going -- just slap things wherever they want without regard to overall theme or show.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    OMG. This is horrible! That is one of my favorite areas of the park! If they get rid of the stage it will be even worse than what they are doing to the area! Does anyone have any idea who performed on that stage? Tearing that stage down is like tearing down Carnegie Hall! This is a travesty. And I am starting to not like the direction Disney is going -- just slap things wherever they want without regard to overall theme or show.
    I agree about it being slightly sad with the theme change from something viewed as classic, but once more....the stage is not being removed or torn down. That is not what is being reported, and the concept art clearly shows the stage intact with a cosmetic/surface overlay to match the 'village square' look of the rest, and will still host nightly music and dancing.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
    This is why I'm getting so tired of reading complaints about Jolly Holiday Bakery, which is on the plaza, not Main Street. Everything is appropriate on the plaza, that's the point. I don't think that a fantasyland themed area at Plaza Gardens would look out of place. In fact, even the tomorrowland entrance is appropriate - it's just that it is ugly. :/
    Ok, so following your logic, a giant animatronic of the Hulk in the hub would be acceptable. Come on, shame on you. It's this kind of attitude that Disney has today which is converting the park from a theme park to just an amusement park.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Ok, so following your logic, a giant animatronic of the Hulk in the hub would be acceptable. Come on, shame on you. It's this kind of attitude that Disney has today which is converting the park from a theme park to just an amusement park.
    I am sorry, but no one is suggesting the level of Hulk-animatronics here. We are talking about a patch of land right next to the castle...not visible from Main Street unless you are way at the end and straining to see it...being somehow incorporated into the castle with a new entrance. It essentially becomes Fantasyland, annex, yes...that is correct. Just like the Snow White grotto/wishing well on the other side. Making the logical leap that people are suggesting terrible things (like a giant Marvel character without purpose) here by stating this isn't as bad as a idea as is being claimed is not accurate, to my mind.

• Disney is home

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Yep, here is one of the many.

---------- Post added 08-20-2011 at 08:34 AM ----------

Everyone has a right to their opinion and their point of view on something. No need to put blame on a poster for only giving their opinion.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    I am sorry, but no one is suggesting the level of Hulk-animatronics here. We are talking about a patch of land right next to the castle...not visible from Main Street unless you are way at the end and straining to see it...being somehow incorporated into the castle with a new entrance. It essentially becomes Fantasyland, annex, yes...that is correct. Just like the Snow White grotto/wishing well on the other side. Making the logical leap that people are suggesting terrible things (like a giant Marvel character without purpose) here by stating this isn't as bad as a idea as is being claimed is not accurate, to my mind.
    No, the point you are not understanding is that the argument I was countering was that the hub has no time period and everything is appropriate to place there. I was pointing out what a slippery slope that is. Hence the question where do you draw the line before the Hulk is standing next to Partners?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Future Cast Member

People seem to be taking my earlier posts the wrong way. I'm very thankful that the stage is staying, I'm just a little sad because I love Carnation Plaza Gardens, just because I have memories of performing there and I kind of like the simplicity look that's there right now. However, I wasn't saying, "Oh no the world's gonna end!" like some people seem to be inferring. I was just saying that I hope this turns out well, and I'm just a little sad to see a wonderful area be changed, but at the same time I'm interested in the changes and hope it's executed well.

The "village square" idea looks very beautiful, and a lovely transition, too. It appears to be in the spirit of classic Fantasyland, targeting neither boys or girls or ages specifically, and made to appeal towards everyone. I like that even though aspects of the retheme are inspired by princess movies, they look like they'll just be inspired by and not a marketing appearance like the current commercial-esque Tangled logo sign over at the Meet and Greet looks like. It appears to be a positive step forward in new Disney attractions, moving past the marketing and toward traditional theming.

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    how would u guys tackle the male demographic in fantasyland.i really could not find a way
    That is the problem isn't it. Fantasyland started out with both male and female demographics, mostly because Disney made films that everyone could enjoy. I'm not saying that this wasn't the case back in the 90s, but today, Disney simply tries to market to specific people. It's Princesses for girls, Pirates and Cars for boys. And since princesses are supposed to be in Fantasyland, much of what is new is princess themed. Peter Pan and Pinocchio both already have dark rides built around them and while Aladdin and the Jungle Book are what Fantasyland was originally for, I doubt Disney would even consider building something around those films in Fantasyland. More likely they would go in Adventureland like Tarzan is. The only way you can really put something male oriented in Fantasyland is to either create an original ride like Pirates, build a male equivalent of Fantasyland based on the villains, or throw in a roller coaster. But this isn't the point of the topic.

I can understand that taking out the Carnation plaza and replacing it with a fantasy village may make people angry because they've got personal connections to the place. At the same time, people could be angry if Disney tore out the Winnie the pooh attraction because they've got memories of that place. Overall, the princesses moving is good for business for Disney. They still have a spot for princess meet and greets, they've still got a stage for people to play on, and this allows them to tear down that massive stage for future use. Who knows what they may place back there. In the end, it may be worth it. personally, I've never been over to the Carnation plaza area, and when I was there, I've never actually noticed it tucked away in that corner of the park. I only realized something was back there when I got home and looked closer at my souvenir park map. As long as they make it enclosed enough where it doesn't interfere with the theme of Main Street, I don't think it'll stick out all that much. And like someone said earlier, the entire point of the hub is to simply present you with the different lands and their themes. That's it. Heck, the Tiki Room is out of Adventureland's borders but nobody ever says anything about that.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch626626 View Post
    That is the problem isn't it. Fantasyland started out with both male and female demographics, mostly because Disney made films that everyone could enjoy. I'm not saying that this wasn't the case back in the 90s, but today, Disney simply tries to market to specific people. It's Princesses for girls, Pirates and Cars for boys. And since princesses are supposed to be in Fantasyland, much of what is new is princess themed. Peter Pan and Pinocchio both already have dark rides built around them and while Aladdin and the Jungle Book are what Fantasyland was originally for, I doubt Disney would even consider building something around those films in Fantasyland. More likely they would go in Adventureland like Tarzan is. The only way you can really put something male oriented in Fantasyland is to either create an original ride like Pirates, build a male equivalent of Fantasyland based on the villains, or throw in a roller coaster. But this isn't the point of the topic.

I can understand that taking out the Carnation plaza and replacing it with a fantasy village may make people angry because they've got personal connections to the place. At the same time, people could be angry if Disney tore out the Winnie the pooh attraction because they've got memories of that place. Overall, the princesses moving is good for business for Disney. They still have a spot for princess meet and greets, they've still got a stage for people to play on, and this allows them to tear down that massive stage for future use. Who knows what they may place back there. In the end, it may be worth it. personally, I've never been over to the Carnation plaza area, and when I was there, I've never actually noticed it tucked away in that corner of the park. I only realized something was back there when I got home and looked closer at my souvenir park map. As long as they make it enclosed enough where it doesn't interfere with the theme of Main Street, I don't think it'll stick out all that much. And like someone said earlier, the entire point of the hub is to simply present you with the different lands and their themes. That's it. Heck, the Tiki Room is out of Adventureland's borders but nobody ever says anything about that.
    Well..."Hercules" could work in Fantasyland. As could "Emperor's New Groove."

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    Well..."Hercules" could work in Fantasyland. As could "Emperor's New Groove."
    Except that those movies weren't very good, imo. However, I suppose you're correct. They'd still work. For that matter, Aladdin would work as well. Even if it doesn't work as well as it could, who really cares? It's fantasy. The theme isn't supposed to define the experience, the experience is supposed to define the theme. Just take the "doesn't fit the theme" police with a grain of salt.

• Olé! Olé! It's Showtime!

Shame on you, for both your personal attack and your attempt to take things beyond logical extremes to make a point. You just reinforce the opposing argument, really, by making such a comparison.

Although I would argue that the astro-orbitor pushed right to the entrance of Tomorrowland is intrusive; but only slightly more so than the Peoplemover cars driving by.

MiceChat from Main Street.
    MiceChat goes mobile with the new Mouseaddict app for iPhone and iPad! Keep up to date with the latest blogs and columns, check your private messages, chat live with MiceChatters inside and outside of the parks, plan your next move with Addictometer wait times and crowd level mapping, see showtimes and set reminders for dining, shows and FastPass, and find anything in the resort — from attractions to sidewalk carts.

Learn more and download free at mouseaddict.com.

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast