• Minion

How do I make/find a Tower of terror costume

I am hoping to make a new costume for halloween (or buy one if it is cheap) of the Tower of Terror bell hops. Has anyone here made one before? If so what did you use (patter, fabric style and color etc).

My other idea is a Tron costume but that is a lot simpler (maybe)
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

Re: How do I make/find a Tower of terror costume

Good Luck! The legit ones are expensive!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeM45 View Post
    I was thinking of making it, I made the pirate costume in my avatar
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

I would at least try making one, especially if you have experience making costumes, as evidenced by your avatar.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeM45 View Post
    They're also illegal. Disneyland Resort Cast Member costumes are expressly the property of Disney. Whenever you see someone selling a costume or costume piece, they're selling stolen property.

The two things Disney does attempt to do is reclaim property being "sold", and come down hard on cast members who "sell" their tickets and sign-in privileges. While it's not statistically likely you'll get in trouble if you buy a costume piece, it's certainly possible. Before I became a CM, I knew someone that this actually happenned to, who tried to sell a pea coat online. I don't know how he was contacted, but I remember him saying he had to cancel the auction and return the item to the Resort.

Just food for thought.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    They're also illegal. Disneyland Resort Cast Member costumes are expressly the property of Disney. Whenever you see someone selling a costume or costume piece, they're selling stolen property.

The two things Disney does attempt to do is reclaim property being "sold", and come down hard on cast members who "sell" their tickets and sign-in privileges. While it's not statistically likely you'll get in trouble if you buy a costume piece, it's certainly possible. Before I became a CM, I knew someone that this actually happenned to, who tried to sell a pea coat online. I don't know how he was contacted, but I remember him saying he had to cancel the auction and return the item to the Resort.

Just food for thought.
    This is why I don't want one from the park, but I figure if Disney makes character halloween costumes then there might be a tot bellhop outfit somewhere.

btw, does this mean that the WDW train conductor's jacket I have from ebay is a no-no cause it looked like it was from Disney themselves, there were a lot of other WDW artifacts at the time including a ride vehicle
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyfan42 View Post
    This is why I don't want one from the park, but I figure if Disney makes character halloween costumes then there might be a tot bellhop outfit somewhere.
    Good thought. There are lot of legitimately licenses Disney costumes out there (and, of course, an amateur making his/her own homegrown Disney costume for personal use is perfectly legal), but Disney generally doesn't make licensed replicas of Cast Member attire, such as the ToT or HM costumes. So your best bet is to make it yourself. BTW, the ToT costumes are among the most detailed and costly costumes at the Resort. The HM costumes are in that category as well. They're pretty detailed, so I dont' blame you for wanting the ToT attire as a costume for yourself.
    ... does this mean that the WDW train conductor's jacket I have from ebay is a no-no cause it looked like it was from Disney themselves, there were a lot of other WDW artifacts at the time including a ride vehicle
    There's a legal difference between looking similar, and being a copy. I'm willing to bet your costume fits in the "similar" category, so you're probably just fine.

If someone gets something and they want to know if it's an actual Disney costume piece, the way to know for sure is to look at the tag. Also, DL costumes have for about the last 7 or so years been barcoding their costume pieces. So you'll see a barcode near the tag. In the last few months, DLR has been switching to RF tags in their costumes, which is supposed to speed up the checkin/checkout process for costumes. That has yet to be seen.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Good thought. There are lot of legitimately licenses Disney costumes out there (and, of course, an amateur making his/her own homegrown Disney costume for personal use is perfectly legal), but Disney generally doesn't make licensed replicas of Cast Member attire, such as the ToT or HM costumes. So your best bet is to make it yourself. BTW, the ToT costumes are among the most detailed and costly costumes at the Resort. The HM costumes are in that category as well. They're pretty detailed, so I dont' blame you for wanting the ToT attire as a costume for yourself.

There's a legal difference between looking similar, and being a copy. I'm willing to bet your costume fits in the "similar" category, so you're probably just fine.

If someone gets something and they want to know if it's an actual Disney costume piece, the way to know for sure is to look at the tag. Also, DL costumes have for about the last 7 or so years been barcoding their costume pieces. So you'll see a barcode near the tag. In the last few months, DLR has been switching to RF tags in their costumes, which is supposed to speed up the checkin/checkout process for costumes. That has yet to be seen.
    What would the tag look like? And I'm not surprised that the HM and ToT costumes are the most expensive ones, and thats probably why I like them SOOOO much. But how would I make the ToT outfit? I can't find anything "similar" in fabric patterns. And funny enough, when I first made a Jack Sparrow costume in 6th grade, it was before they had a Jack Sparrow pattern, and we had to combine pieces from other patterns to make it

My jacket has these for buttons in all the right places, and is WDW:
    Last edited by mickeyfan42; 08-24-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th