Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

The End of Another Disneyland Icon

First came the removal of the famous Harbor Blvd. Disneyland sign, replaced by that ugly Disneyland/DCA resort monstrocity. Granted, the old sign was very 50's/60's but it was unique and when you were going to Disneyland and it came into view, you knew you were there. One of my childhood memories.

Now there is this... from an official communication,

" The Disneyland Resort is helping improve aesthetics within the Anaheim Resort Area by removing the Disneyland Hotel signs as the final part of a multi-phase agreement approved by the City of Anaheim several years ago. A decision is pending on what will replace them."

Improve the aesthetics?.......How about sterilize them. I cannot imagine approaching Disneyland and not seeing the big red Disneyland Hotel letters. Disneyland drives the "Anaheim Resort", modern Anaheim was literally built around Disneyland, it's economy depends on Disneyland.
    Improve the aesthetics? I don't think so.

As for what will replace them.....I wouldn't be surprised to see an "Anaheim Resort Hotel" sign.

VERY SAD

• Rat Tat Tat.

Re: The End of Another Disneyland Icon

What?!? Are they talking about the signs on the actual towers or another sign on the ground? I will miss seeing the sign glowing at night from the top of the parking structure.

Probably the signs on the ground. I'm marginally for this, remove some tackiness. Removing the sign from the hotel itself would be very counterproductive, as it would obscure what hotel it was. Very confusing for tourists whom cannot distinguish between Downtown Disney and Mainstreet U.S.A.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

What a shame if they remove the red letters from the towers. I doubt that they actually would and itll probably be just the ground signs, but who knows? Anybody have any further info on this?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Lowering Expectations

I heard from a cast member that the big red letters on top of the hotel are going to be removed. Very sad, indeed, yet another icon moving to Yesterland...

Quote Originally Posted by 10-8atDisneyland
    First came the removal of the famous Harbor Blvd. Disneyland sign, replaced by that ugly Disneyland/DCA resort monstrocity. Granted, the old sign was very 50's/60's but it was unique and when you were going to Disneyland and it came into view, you knew you were there. One of my childhood memories.

Now there is this... from an official communication,

" The Disneyland Resort is helping improve aesthetics within the Anaheim Resort Area by removing the Disneyland Hotel signs as the final part of a multi-phase agreement approved by the City of Anaheim several years ago. A decision is pending on what will replace them."

Improve the aesthetics?.......How about sterilize them. I cannot imagine approaching Disneyland and not seeing the big red Disneyland Hotel letters. Disneyland drives the "Anaheim Resort", modern Anaheim was literally built around Disneyland, it's economy depends on Disneyland.
    Improve the aesthetics? I don't think so.

As for what will replace them.....I wouldn't be surprised to see an "Anaheim Resort Hotel" sign.

VERY SAD
    Very foolish. [smilie=9,16,12]
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• no flash photography...

*shrug*...I really don't care. I haven't noticed them anyway and I like the mew dl/dca sign..

• Wonderful World

That HORRIBLE.They best not do this
    I'm back MiceChat

• Koubu Pilot

I for one would miss those old red letters. You don't see the old calligraphy style Disneyland logos anymore. Those letters are how you know where it is. I wish they never removed the ones on the Sierra Tower. I remember parking at Disneyland and looking across old West St above the hedges that hide the parking lot's fence. You don't see hotels that have their names on them anymore. They're all little signs on the street that you can hardly see in traffic.

• Still wants to be a cat!

John Stamos probably wants to buy them!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• The Fantasyland guy

you guys are missing the big picture... Remember the old Katella? All the ugly signs that were trying to SCREAM AS LOUD as they could to get attention of passing by cars?

The removal of all thouse ugly eye-sours(spelling?) is what this "Agreement" you are refering to. Disney wanted it, and frankly so did I.

Yes... I will miss the big red letters atop of disneyland hotel towers, but its a big game of "give and take." Let the city come out with a policy to make the "Anaheim Resort" area look good, but give the letters away.

In fact, if I recall, this is the reason the old original Disneyland sign was removed in the first place. It just looks better with everyone in unison.

I too miss the old Disneyland sign and hate the new one. I also will miss the "Disneyland Hotel" letters being removed. But Anahiem will look much better in unison.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    I too miss the old Disneyland sign and hate the new one. I also will miss the "Disneyland Hotel" letters being removed. But Anahiem will look much better in unison.

I don't see how the removal of these letters will make anything look better. It's not like they look bad in my opinion. I can understand the removal of the large Disneyland sign in regards to making the Anaheim Resort area look nicer, but taking the big letters off the hotel doesnt make sense to me. Maybe its because I dont live around there and don't see it every day...

Does it really look bad from areas around DLR? Cause it doesnt look bad to me from the Parking Structure or anywhere else that its visible within the Resort...

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    Since when has Disney ever been in unison? I mean since when does a turn of the century American street fit with a European Castle or a jungle run into a frontier village? Disneyland is unique. Everything in Disneyland is unique! The letters are nostalgic. They need to stay. I love seeing them whenever I visit Disneyland. Disney bosts the nostalgia of the DIsneyland Hotel. The letters need to stay. If they don't, lots of people are going to be ticked (to say the least)... I know I, for one, will complain 'til my heart is content. The Disneyland Hotel is historical!

• Soy una Cornquistadora!

I will miss them, but only a little. The letters are dated, and have looked so since the 80s. I don't think they symbolize the same hotel that had Fantasy Waters, lagoon games and paddleboats, Maisie's Kitchen, and the Monorail Cafe, with the Monorail stopping right at the hotel. The Disneyland Hotel has evolved toward a few positive changes... While Fantasy Waters became chintzy and neglected, and the Monorail no longer stops at the hotel, the Hotel now has a killer Neverland themed pool... IMO, the Disneyland Hotel has become the "ugly duckling" of resort hotels. Sure, its "classic" for nostalgic Disney buffs, but the rooms are old. It can't compete with the relative "newness" of GCH or PPH. Disney can use the money from the sale of the letters for new signage and other improvements to the Hotel. There is positive change afoot.
    double the powder and shorten the fuse?

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

I know, I hope they don't remove these. It simbolizes the old Disneyland style. Those signs are like the last type of the style around disneyland. Maybe they are keeping the same style and just getting new letters but keeping the old style.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast