Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Is the Hub/Part of Main St USA anymore, or Not?

I think the best way to look at is that Central Plaza is Main St., but once you're on the sidewalk you're in the nearest land. As for the new Bakery I would say that's very much Main St. Yes, the title borrows from Mary Poppins, but that doesn't exactly break the theme. Now if the store redesigns itself to look like you're in London and the cast members there speak with accents, we'll talk. Until then, it's just a old time shop themed after an old time book/movie.

• Disney Fan & Musician

Never was part of Main Street, in my opinion.
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

• Delawarean Girl

I remember watching one of those old Disneyland shows saying that The Hub is the heart of Disneyland (I think) . They didn't say it was part of Main St. or part of the lands. It was something of it's self. It was in one of my Disney Treasures DVD's . It was one of those old showings of the lands and parts of Disneyland.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    the hub is a demilitarized zone set aside in hopes of keeping the peace between the lands. The astro orbiter may or may not have infringed upon this zone (historians' opinions vary), but pixie hollow certainly did (although it was approved by mickey mouse as a compromise between fantasyland and tomorrowland), and the fantasy faire is a thinly veiled act of aggression on the part of the princesses who are upset at the ongoing troop build up in tomorrowland.

At this point, fantasyland and tomorrowland are teetering on the brink of a civil war that could very well draw every land into a prolonged struggle. I fear dark days lie ahead, for mouse lacks the commitment and strength to maintain peace the way he could in the past.
    lol!!!!

---------- Post added 08-26-2011 at 05:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    The area that Pixie Hollow is at has kinda always been occupied by one theme or another intruding on the hub. It's funny when it comes up, since before Pixie Hollow it was Triton's Garden featuring Ariel's Grotto for a meet and greet, and even further back the House of the Future was there, so it was TL intruding. Question though, since my memory is very hazy on the time in between... what was there between the House of the Future and Triton's Garden? Was it a more theme neutral take on the area?
    From around 1967 to 1995 it was a largely undeveloped, garden area, that consisted of fountains and flowers, called Alpine Gardens.

They're not changing the hub. They're just changing some of the spokes.

• Hi'ya Toots!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayley B View Post
    I remember watching one of those old Disneyland shows saying that The Hub is the heart of Disneyland (I think) . They didn't say it was part of Main St. or part of the lands. It was something of it's self. It was in one of my Disney Treasures DVD's . It was one of those old showings of the lands and parts of Disneyland.
    This is on the Walt Disney Treasures - Disneyland Secrets Stories & Magic. Walt talks about the hub being the center and the lands are the spokes that come from it...So the hub is not a part of any land, never has been.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Don't think it's part of MS USA
    I personally never thought of it as part of MS USA
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Delawarean Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Deniselovesdonald View Post
    This is on the Walt Disney Treasures - Disneyland Secrets Stories & Magic. Walt talks about the hub being the center and the lands are the spokes that come from it...So the hub is not a part of any land, never has been.
    Thank you so much for remember which Disney Treasure it is. I couldn't remember which one it was, but I remember it was one the ones that targets Disneyland. I was thinking more Disneyland U.S.A or Your Host Walt Disney. I forgot about that Disney Treasure. But I have it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    lol!!!!

---------- Post added 08-26-2011 at 05:40 PM ----------

From around 1967 to 1995 it was a largely undeveloped, garden area, that consisted of fountains and flowers, called Alpine Gardens.
    Thanks. As a kid in the 80's, I barely recall the area, and I only went to Disneyland maybe three times in the 90's. I wanna say '94, '96 and '97/'98 (new years eve) and didn't get a chance to go back until like '02 or '03.

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    The Hub is a demilitarized zone set aside in hopes of keeping the peace between the lands. The Astro Orbiter may or may not have infringed upon this zone (historians' opinions vary), but Pixie Hollow certainly did (although it was approved by Mickey Mouse as a compromise between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland), and the Fantasy Faire is a thinly veiled act of aggression on the part of the Princesses who are upset at the ongoing troop build up in Tomorrowland.

At this point, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are teetering on the brink of a civil war that could very well draw every land into a prolonged struggle. I fear dark days lie ahead, for Mouse lacks the commitment and strength to maintain peace the way he could in the past.
    I'm pretty certain this is the greatest thing I've read all week.

As to the topic at hand, I feel the Hub is limbo. Certain aspects of the lands might permeate into it at different times, but it's really a 'meeting of the themes' area. Like the contents table in a book.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    As far as I'm concerned the hub has not been part of main street since 1998. The astro orbitor destroys the romanticized feel of Main Street.
    Ha! just wait until the princesses move in, it will be even worse.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Quote Originally Posted by 0ranos View Post
    I'm pretty certain this is the greatest thing I've read all week.
    Thanks! I'm working on a Disneyland Civil War series to put up on my blog. I went over it with a friend the other day and he kept making me think of more and more layers that could be added. Just what were the politics that led to the severing of the Skyway link between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland, for instance? How did Bear Country become Critter Country? Did the bears welcome the America Sings critters and the Br'ers, or did the critters take the territory by force? Are the Country Bears mounted in Winnie the Pooh as an honor or as a warning to others?

There is much political intrigue to be unearthed! (Well, much political intrigue for me to make up, actually.)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    PaveMENT, Prag, not "pavers." I'm talking about the street blacktop.
    I wouldn't mind if the blacktop was replaced with higher-quality and more distinctive paving in Central Plaza. That addition would actually make it more consistent with a proper public square.

• Senior Minion

From the entrance tunnels to the Hub has always been Main Street to me. In visual theme, physical connection and ambiance, the Hub has always felt like the end of Main Street, from which branch the entrances to Disneyland's other realms. The latest brainfarts of Disney's Marketeers, like turning the Carnation Gardens into a Princess marketing mall and the Plaza Inn into a Mary Poppins tie-in bakery, are totally violations of the Main Street theme IMO.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-27-2011 at 06:51 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I wouldn't mind if the blacktop was replaced with higher-quality and more distinctive paving in Central Plaza. That addition would actually make it more consistent with a proper public square.
    Agreed. The brick pavers in the streets surrounded by the majestic Victorians of Wilmington, NC, is amazing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast